Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Anne068
    Anne068 Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2010

Tricia! Where did you get that T-shirt? I want one!!!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2010

Trishia - Thinking of you for tomorrow... hoping you get some rest tonight. (((hugs)))

Okay, ladies, my friend has her surgery date - she will be there on Sept. 29. I guess I need to scroll up to look at the list and see who will be there!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2010

Nordy, PM me with your friend's specs if you want me to add her to the list.

Here are the ladies in NOLA now:

• Aug 31 - mamaluch - Stage 1 DIEP or stacked flap-Dr.D-NOLA
    • Sept 1 - Tweeti - bilateral hip flap with Dr. D
  • SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2010

Trishia, sending thoughts and prayers for you for tomorrow.  I hope your recovery is quick and uneventful.  I was talking with my trainer last night about surgery recovery and she has witnessed how much easier recovery is when we're in good shape physically.  So you will do very well!!

Dragoz, congrats on your upcoming surgery!  There's nothing so comforting as knowing that you'll be in the very best of hands. 

I heard from Liz at the Center yesterday that the doctors are now aware that there are issues with communication post-op and are addressing them.  She suggested we call the clinic directly if we have any concerns.  They have such high standards in all areas of our surgery and post-op care and I know they'll make sure that the communication improves.

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited September 2010

Thinking of you Trisia . You will do fine.

I am 12 days out from Stage 2 and I believe the center has called me 4 or 5 times to check on me. Keep in mind I was in for 5 days instead 1 as normal. I have got an awful drainage from my belly button that they are aware of and I send pictures daily. If I push on the skin around the belly button it gushes out. It is clear and the Center does not seem concerned but I have had prior issues so I worry. Has anyone else had this issue?

Tweeti: You are in my thoughts and prayers

• Springtime
    edited September 2010

Sandy, that is good to hear...

Trisha, thinking of you, I hope you let us know how you are... 

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited September 2010

Hey ladies those of you who had ab plication at stage 2. Do they just sew the bottom of the abdomen or do they do the upper abdomen. I have had 4 kids and my muscles have never been the same.

Springtime, thanks for the encouragement about lipo. I know if I do it, I won't regret in the long run but if I don't, I think I will end up regreting it. I already notice that I look really out of balance because my belly is so flat and I still have my big hips. So smaller hips would sure be NICE!!

Sandy, thanks for letting us know that the center is aware of the follow up issues. I think it is just growing pains.  

Dragonfly and Dragoz, you will love your new boobs. I always considered my implants to be foobs because they were really fake boobs. But these ones are real. They are natural tissue and feel very natural and warm

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2010

Thanks Lynn :)

I just got all my pre-tests done here locally today, and the medical release form signed so we're good to go!!

• Springtime
    edited September 2010

Also, Shri and all, Lipo = smaller sizes!!! 

When I had plication, he said I just needed it "on the bottom" so he did from navel on down. I think mostly it is done "all the way". But you'd have to ask. They can tell if you are a good candidate or not. 

• Elaine586
    Elaine586 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2010

I had my phone consult with Dr. Massey yesterday. It was amazing! She is the nicest, sweetest person I have ever dealt with in the Medical Profession. I had a sense that she REALLY cares about me as a person.

She was going to contact Jenny, have everything put into motion. I am hoping for a last Oct. date. 

PBM, either DIEP or SGap. To be decided when the blood supply tests are done. 

I am so excited. I look forward to waking up and NOT thinking about breast cancer!

I have to give 100% credit to this site. If it weren't for this site and the kindness of you ladies sharing your stories and life, I would be having a PBM and implants done Sept 8th.Idreaded it.  I am so happy to have found this wonderful option! 

Forever grateful!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

What is done on day 1 at the center? I got my schedule and we are there 10-5, that's a long pre-op??

• Elaine586
    edited September 2010
    Dragonfly, wow! That is a long day. I have no idea, but looking forward to heaaring the answer.
  • Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

I know, I don't get it at all:

Pre-op appointment paperwork with St. Charles Surgical Hospital (Sally) @ 10:30 am

CTA scan at St. Charles Surgical Hospital @ 11:00 am

Pre-op appointment with Dr. Sullivan at The Center @ 4:15 pm

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

What is a CTA scan? Isn't it a ct scan? Anyway, Katie just wrote back and said that the scan takes about an hour, and we are free to leave for lunch, walk around etc, just have to be back by 4:15 for Dr. Sullivan.

• Elaine586
    edited September 2010
    A quick google says its Angiography, a scan of the blood vessels and arteries. I can't cut and paste to show the whole article. But that makes sense. Checking for blood supply.
  • Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2010

Dragonfly~ It is a CT with some type of dye that is power injected.  It's not bad. 

So I had my blood work done and I am all ready to go for mid month.  I can not believe I leave again in 12 days and I have surgery the next day.  It's all going to go great :)  I am very confident Dr S getting everything tweaked this time. 

I am kinda glad that my DH had surgery yesterday as it gives me something else to concentrate on....lol.... 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited September 2010

Wow! Welcome to all the new gals here! Amy, your story about walking around naked in the hospital is hilarious!!!!!! And then the naked guy! Sally - so sorry you're having healing issues again - WTF! Sandy - thanks for letting us know the follow-up problem is being addressed! Lipo pain report - at 5 weeks, it's still pretty bad. He didn't suck a lot of fat out of me, but it was from all over.

You gals who have decided to go to NOLA for recon have made the best choice possible. I had recon of my cancer breast in '06, and then prophylactic breast surgery this spring. The decision to have the second breast done was really hard, but I had no difficulty at all knowing where I'd go for the procedure. You just can't get any better care or surgical skill anywhere. Anywhere! You can be totally confident in your decision. Try not to worry anymore. This surgery is not easy. Recovery is long. But it is all soooooooooooooo worth it in the end. I have such peace of mind that I've done everything possible to avoid cancer again, and it helps to be able to feel very, very smart about deciding to go to New Orleans to have it done!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Hard to believe huh Jaimieh!!! I'm battling with cobra right now, Pam at NOLA just called and said they can't do my surgery if they don't have confirmation of Cobra by the surgery date. So now I'm in full scramble to try and get my payment to them and processed asap!

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2010

It's very hard to believe and I think I am in denial....lol....  I have a bone scan, echo and kidney mag-3 test to do before I go in addition to getting things ready for my kids....So I am a little busy but grateful for being busy :) 

Dragonfly~ I hope your former company gets their act together.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Wow you have a lot more tests than me, how come? Is that just because, or something to do with NOLA?

I did get my big A** check in the mail today, with my enrollment form, and sent it priority mail. So I am waiting to hear from Pam, if a copy of the form and my check is good enough proof of enrollment of them or not? He said it usually takes 24-48 hours from rec'ing the paperwork to get me active, so cross your fingers!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited September 2010

Elaine, I am so glad you had the foresight to avoid the implants. I wish I'd done that, but it's truly been a learning experience, this reconstruction journey of mine! I love Dr. Massey, too. I didn't go to NOLA (she wasn't there at the time) but wherever you go, you'll be in great hands!

Anne

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2010

All of my test are just because my insurance is getting ready change so I need to do it before I start a new deductible.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited September 2010

Tweeti - Hope you're recovering nicely!

Jaimie and Dragonfly - only 2 more weeks! So glad your check arrived, Dragonfly - let's hope the Center gets it before Labor DAy weekend so you can relax, at last. Just in time to get nervous again.. LOL, kind of! (I'm not too far behind you gals.)

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

I know, I'm so nervous :) I just want to have boobs again dang it !!! Yours are almost complete right Minnesota?

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited September 2010

Girls, I thought this was the coolest shirt. http://www.thinkpinkribbon.com/I-Fight-Like-A-Girl-T-Shirt-p/111.htm It says I FIGHT LIKE A GIRL with the breast cancer logo in the middle. This website had some pretty neat stuff for anyone that has not been on it

Dragonfly... Only 11 more days. I just just down for stage 2 and the heat is incredible. I would suggest loose sundresses. I will be thinking of you and praying for you.Hoping the paperwork get through, ( I am sure it will)

Jaimie, Here we go again. Hoping that this will be your last surgery and praying everything goes well

Amy Naked Men... you are too funny. You and Minnesota would be a hoot together.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited September 2010

Sally, how are you doing?  Has your swelling gone down?

Dragonfly, I hope the insurance thing gets worked out soon. There's enough to worry about without that! And I wanted to add that yes, the heat is incredible, but all the inside spaces are FREEZING!! Bring a warm sweater.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2010

Tweeti and Mamluch - Hoping all went well and that you are both recovering well!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2010

I was going to make a joke about piece of mind vs. peace of mind, but the opportunity has disappeared....

I'm working with my scoliosis this week, thanks to a woman I met through these forums.  It's quite overwhelming to discover that everything I have been doing to make my back feel better has been wrong and possibly more damaging.  I'm going to have to be very specific about how I'm positioned during my upcoming surgery, but more than that, I don't think I'll be able to continue working out with my trainer, nor doing bootcamp.  So many exercises I've been doing are stressing the curves and even crunches are bad for my spine.  Basically, my aerobic exercising should consist mainly of walking (but I have to learn to walk correctly) and using a Stairmaster/treadmill, plus specially designed exercises to de-rotate my vertebrae.  I'll learn more in the next couple of days about how I will be strengthening my core, but my elliptical will have to be sold and I'm sad about that. This therapist said "we don't walk that way---the elliptical is not good" so she recommended that I not give it to my daughter.   We're going to do a field trip to a gym tomorrow, so I can figure out which machines I can use, and how to use them in a way that won't cause things to become worse.   We covered so much ground and I did so many weird things to reposition my body yesterday that I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed right now.  Apparently, body casts on teenage girls don't cure scoliosis.  If the spine wants to twist, it will, and the cause is unknown. 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited September 2010

Sandy-

Have you considered rowing? Definitely have your trainer demo that machine at the gym. It strengthens your core and is fantastic cardio, low impact. It uses your hamstrings and glutes more than anything, so it should be low stress on your back.

• lilmismuffit
    lilmismuffit Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2010

Sandyinparadise-

I don't post much on the boards but I saw your post and was intersted to hear what type of exercises and machines she will have you use as I have Scoliosis.  I was dx at age 5 and wore a brace until I was 13 years old.  I started with a 27 degree curve and with the help of the brace, I have about a 5 degree curve.  I was lucky not to have any problems with my stage one surgery laying on the table for 11 hours.  Best of luck with finding good exercises to help you back...if you have a chance, I would love to hear about it!!

Take Care,

Laura ;-)