Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lilmismuffit
    lilmismuffit Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2010

Sandyinparadise-

I don't post much on the boards but I saw your post and was intersted to hear what type of exercises and machines she will have you use as I have Scoliosis.  I was dx at age 5 and wore a brace until I was 13 years old.  I started with a 27 degree curve and with the help of the brace, I have about a 5 degree curve.  I was lucky not to have any problems with my stage one surgery laying on the table for 11 hours.  Best of luck with finding good exercises to help your back...if you have a chance, I would love to hear about it!!

Take Care,

Laura ;-)

• lilmismuffit
    lilmismuffit Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2010

Sandyinparadise-

I don't post much on the boards but I saw your post and was intersted to hear what type of exercises and machines she will have you use as I have Scoliosis.  I was dx at age 5 and wore a brace until I was 13 years old.  I started with a 27 degree curve and with the help of the brace, I have about a 5 degree curve.  I was lucky not to have any problems with my stage one surgery laying on the table for 11 hours.  Best of luck with finding good exercises to help you back...if you have a chance, I would love to hear about it!!

Take Care,

Laura ;-)

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2010

Does anyone know how far up on your body does the CTA scan goes to ???

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2010

I'm not sure but I am guessing chest, and ab?

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited September 2010

Hi girls....

Just popping in to say there is life after breast cancer and there is life after Stage 1 and Stage 2.... here's to grabbing every little bit of it!!  lol Wink (me and Steven Tyler last night at the Aerosmith concert)....

Cindy&Steven1

• holtbolt
    edited September 2010

I hope everybody has a great long weekend.... Smile 
  • Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

So jealous of that picture :) glad you're living and loving life!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited September 2010

Hotbutt I am jeolous. It looks like life is treating you well. You deserve it.

Amy I am doing better but have had to send pictures of my belly button every few days. It is draining awful. (if I push the surronding skin it gushes) Dr D thinks it is the fluid that the drains are missing. Oh BTW I still have 2 drains. I have come to accept that I do not heal as well as others. Jeanine from the center has a tendency to blame it on my history of smoking. Could be, I dont know. I have been cigarette free since February thou. I have lost the 15 lbs of fluids from surgery

How long have others had drains after Stage 2. Minnesota, pretty soon I am getting out the duck tape. I am sick of looking pregnant from the drains and pouch. LOL

Sara I hope all is well with you and your healing. Please tell your daughter hello and and you are very lucky to have such a gracious daughter. If you ask me though she  is pretty lucky to have you to .. Youre 2 very special  women.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2010

Hello everyone,

Hope all the surgeries went well this week.  My surgery on Wednesday went awesome. He was able to get everything out vaginally and I was able to keep my left ovary, which I am extremely thankful for.  Not everyone understands my attachment to my hormones, as I had hormone postiive BC, but I do and I have had natural hormones for the past 18 years post BC.  I'm glad that I have docs who actually listen to me.

Nordy came and visited me and brought me a goodie bag filled with awesome goodies from Trader Joe's...it was HEAVEN!  I can't thank her enough for her recommendation of Dr. Rushing.  He was amazing.  He made me a DVD of the surgery, so I came home and and watched it.  My hubby thinks I am crazy.  I think it is fascinating! The worst part of this has been the gas pains. I have been up and walking since the day of surgery and drinking tons of fluid.  Each day has been a little better.

To those coming up...you will be GREAT!  The Center and their staff are still hands down...the BEST caregivers.  I missed them on Wednesday...espeically Deidre, who gets you prepped for surgery.  She is a gem.  

• Dagroz13
    Dagroz13 Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2010

Thank you for adding me to the list.  It is unfortunate we've been diagnosed  with what I call the "black halo" but I'm glad I'm with a wonderful, caring group of women. I am amazed at the information contained on this site.  Every time I come on here I learn something new and helpful.  Thank YOU, yes you and you and you and . . .   

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Is there a list anywhere on here as to what to pack??? I know someone said it's hot there now but the center is freezing. So? I don't have any button up the front shirts? What is a total waste to bring? What is a must?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Thank you so much for the info :) I am a total comfy capri/athetlic pants person, I have a few pairs and their basic so that will be good. I'm sure nothing will hide the drains/pouch but not much I can do about that. Were you up to going out after surgery before going home? I just envision sitting at the hope lodge for days and days!

Thanks again, and any other ideas would be helpful :) 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

yeah I don't know there is any place to really walk around the center, so we'll see how it goes. Maybe towards the end we can move to a hotel if we want to? I don't know, I'm doing the hope lodge because I am on a zero income right now. So just have to wait and see! Maybe take  a cab from there to somewhere and walk around?

• chimama05
    chimama05 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2010

Hello to all.....I am so happy to be a part of this discussion board and wished I had known about it sooner.  I had my step 1 diep flap reconstruction surgery at St. Charles Surgical Center on May 20th, 2010 and step 2 by Dr. Frank Dellacroce on August 26th, 2010. I am still very tired and sore feeling but so happy to have it behind me. I found out about the wonderful place and fantastic doctors on my own and I am so happy that I did. After having cancer in both breast and having a double mastectomy in January 08 and completing months of chemo and radiation, I did not have one doctor or nurse to help encourage me to have reconstruction surgery and I did not know what my options were or if it was even worth it. I had almost decided it was just best not to worry about it even though it was awful to look at my scars every day and be reminded of the cancer. By accident, I heard about the diep flap surgery and started checkin into it and found the Breast Center in NOLA which is only a 2 1/2 hour drive from where I live in Mississippi. With my wonderful husband and my family encouraging me, the rest is history. Even though my new "girls" are still bruised and sore, I am so happy and pleased with them. I plan to spread the word about the Breast Center and the wonderful work that they do because no woman should think that she has to look at scars the rest of her life.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2010

HOLTBOLT> I am jealous beyond belief... I LOVE Steven Tyler. My kids are so funny - I was watching an Aerosmith video the other night and my five year old said, "Mom. Do you like them?" When I told her yes, she said, "Well, I don't like them. That guy doesn't have a shirt on and look at the crazy way he is dancing." LOL! I can't wait to tell her that about some band she likes someday!

Dragonfly - I wore loose fitting shorts and some nice stretchy cute skirts from Old Navy. They were perfect for walking around in the heat. Okay, so never mind that with the dominatrix and sans underwear it can get... uh... a bit breezy with a skirt on!Embarassed BUT, I think it is best to help stay cool. If you want to do some serious walking the Hope Lodge is across the street from the Mississippi river and there is a paved walking/biking path there. You could go for miles... but I don't remember there being benches around to sit on if you should need to. Other than that, the area surrounding the Hope Lodge is not the nicest (but also far from the worst), but you can totally walk around there during the day. As for the drains... I never cared if people could see them under my shirts or not, and I do not have a lot of baggy shirts, so I just wore what I had. I did bring a couple of sleeveless hoodies (Thank you MP!) and those were great when it got a little chilly inside, without being too warm. And I used those for stage 2 as well. 

Trishia - SO glad you are doing well! I hope that gas pain is easing! 

Have a great weekend all!

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2010

Oooh Holtbolt - you are making life after bc look pretty awesome indeed! I was a huge Steven Tyler fan growing up and I am soooo jealous! He looks like he's really enjoying his hug with you! ; )

Trishia - glad things went well with the surgery. Isn't Nordy a great and caring pal?

Nordy - I love the quote from your daughter! Remember that one for sure!

Dragonfly: Here is the list I made from these boards for what to bring to NOLA for Stage 1:

IPod for hospital
    Laptop
    Baggy clothes, skirts, yoga pants - stretchy things with elastic waist
    Extra room in suitcase for supplies
    Lip Balm
    Slip on shoes for week
    Hoodie for indoors

After going I would add: bring scoop neck (not low-cut) t-shirts because even though you'll have beautiful new boobs your chest may be temporarily discolored and funny looking from surgery nicks, mark-ups, etc. And it is thunderstorm season there right now so bring a raincoat and/or umbrella!

One more thing for you Dragonfly given all your insurance uncertainty - I just wanted to tell you that I was really happy with the way my body was after Stage 1, and if I'd had to forgo Stage 2 I still would have been really happy that I did the recon. I know everyone's different but that's how I felt. 

Happy Labor Day weekend everyone!

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2010

Dragonfly,

The Hope Lodge has a room with a few pieces of exercise equipment, so you can tread in a/c while watching TV!

Bring a thermometer with you so you don't have to run out for one. It is fairly common to run a lowgrade fever after your surgery and you want to keep an eye on it. Anything over 100.3 degrees and the docs will want to know about it right away, even after hours. 

I haven't seen Tweeti's post, but her surgery was delayed for a week due to a sinus infection.

Bev, when you have the chance, could you add my tatts on Sept. 28th? 

After two weeks back in classes, I have been dragging, but still healing well. I only have a few crusty stitches around my fipples left. The local PS's nurse clipped the ones that were left in my belly button. Celeste said that it would remain pretty deep until all the swelling goes down for another three months.

I have been trying to keep up with posts, but forgive me for missing any well-wishing. 

I wish everyone a safe Labor day!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2010

Jeskachi, we are heading out to a gym here in just a little while, and Beatriz is going to show me the machines I can use, and what I can do with them.   I will definitely ask about rowing.  She said cycling is fine, but I have to make sure that neither knee turns inward or outward---must be completely parallel to the bike.  I'll check that today at the gym.  A lot of the exercise I'll be doing is isometric.  She's teaching me to walk putting one foot in front of the other, like runway models walk.  Seems wierd and exaggerated to me, but it uses the larger muscles of the inner thigh, rather that the small mucles on the outside of the hip.    We've covered adjustments I need to make while sitting, including in a car.  My knees must be lower than my pelvis.  Today, she taught my husband how to manipulate L3, L4 and L5 to help rotate them into better alignment. 

CNN is airing Martina Navritilova's breast cancer story now.  We need to leave in a few minutes, so I hope to catch it tonight when they air it again. 

Thinking of all of you!  We have very limited cell reception here, but I received very good news from Alaina last night---her cancer is now stabilized.  I will try to call her from San Jose tonight, if we have phone reception there.  We are surprised it's not better here in Mountain View, home to Google, Intel, Microsoft, etc.  I think Apple has a facility here as well.  Anyway, I'm so relieved for Alaina, as she just completed her third course of chemo and this is the news we have been praying for since the end of last year. Finally, the right combo of drugs!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited September 2010

Laura, PM me and I'll tell you more.  I'm doing a very specialized type of therapy developed in Germany and can explain more for you.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Thanks ladies :) I so appreciate the tips. I was going to try and cram it all in a carry on but I don't think that's going to be possible now :)

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited September 2010

Cindy,

AWESOME photo!!  I don't know who looks happier--you or Steven Tyler!!!!!

Love it!

Suzanne

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited September 2010

You met Steven Tyler--Wow! HOW did you pull that off? I've always wanted to see them live. I had my chance 4 yrs ago when they came to Pcola...until they cancelled about 2 hrs before the concert was scheduled to begin. There was a near-riot outside the civic center. Story of my life. :/

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2010

Sandy, was your back hurting you? bothering you a lot? I have been told I have a slight scoliosis of the spine, but so far it has not  bothered me. I wonder if you can do Yoga? I find it really helps my back. I am sorry you will have to give up boot camp. I know you really liked it and you were doing so well.

Trisha! I was thinking about you! Glad to hear your surgery went well and you are in good spirits!  

• SandyinSoCal
    edited September 2010

Spring, my back has been painful for several years, and I had to be really careful.  It was bothering me slightly when I first started bootcamp and the private workouts, but after a couple of weeks, felt better.  Then it got worse again, and I really messed it up two weeks ago using a shovel in the yard, fighting with a hydrangea I was trying to move.   From what I understand, untreated scoliosis usually progresses, and that concerned me a great deal.  My sister and brother both have it as well, but none of us were diagnosed when we were young.   According to the specially-trained physical therapist I am working with, I cannot do yoga, pilates, rowing, cycling, crunches or a lot of other things.  Symmetrical exercises are not good for a twisted spine--the imbalances and under-worked muscles have to be stimulated and worked.   Most of what I've been doing has apparently not been good for my spine.  Recommended are a treadmill and walking, both of which I need to do after adjusting myself to rotate my vertebrae, and in ways that won't do damage.  We went to a gym today and she showed me some machines I can use--basically, anything that I can use to put traction on my spine is good.  Exercises which compress the vertebrae are not good.  I cannot do any twisting motions, so no more working my obliques.  Actually, this is good advice for all of us as we age and the discs dry up and shrink.  Nerves get pinched and the traction helps increase the space between the vertebrae, relieving the compression on the nerves.  If you want to learn more about this, it's the Schroth Method.   There are not many therapists in the U.S. and the lady from this forum who first told me about it is very disappointed with the guy she went to.  The woman I am seeing  (Bea) is so compassionate and helpful, and she is 72, but in fantastic shape.  She has severe scoliosis.  We walked by a gal at the gym who was using a rope climbing machine and Bea did a "tsk tsk" under her breath and said, "She's going to end up with a shoulder injury."  Not ten seconds later, the gal stopped and clutched her right shoulder.  Bea told her to pull her  shoulder back to stop the spasms, and she said that really helped.  I wish Bea lived in L.A., as I think I will want to check in with her periodically to make sure I am doing everything correctly.  I'm so grateful that I heard about this.  Hopefully I can lessen the rotation of my spine and avoid surgery later on.  I need to get my sister to come up here and see Bea too.  I would highly recommend this for anyone affected with scoliosis---the younger the patient or the less the degree of rotation, the more profound the results can be. 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited September 2010

Holtbolt, How awesome of a time you had! 

Dragonfly, don't know if anyone has already mentioned it, but a long shoe string to hang your drains around your neck when you shower comes in very handy!  Good luck and cant wait to hear how thrilled you are when you get done, cause I am sure you will be!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Hey Ginnie :) No one has mentioned that so I'll try and remember that in my bag!! I am getting so excited, the closer it gets!! I am just anxious for the cobra to get worked out!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited September 2010

Chimama05 - Congrats on finding the Center! I found it pretty much on my own, too. Glad you're doing so well!

Dragonfly - Yes, my boobs are almost done - just one more surgery in October. Another tip on hiding drains is to bring a long sweater (or blouse when its so hot), and tie it around your waist. You can position where the drains hang to be a little further back. See if you have any light blouses (or go buy something cheap, or even a man's shirt) that you can tie around your waist that will come pretty far forward and hang pretty far down. I agree with Nordy, tho, I got one of those lightweight skirts from Old Navy - they were cheap - and those were also a very comfortable way to hide the drains. Oh, and bring a dark-colored shirt that you can wear after you get marked up for surgery at your pre-op, that you don't mind getting blue marker all over.

Sandy - I'm so glad you're learning so much good stuff in San Jose about how to exercise so as not to hurt your back. And this might mean I will be able to catch more beads when I'm with you on Bourbon. You probably shouldn't do that thing anymore where you jump really high in front of me, reaching up your arms, spinning and twisting mid-air to grab the really good beads before I even get a chance. But don't worry. I'll split my spoils with you piecefully.

SOOOOOOOO glad to hear that Alaina has won this go-round with our arch enemy. She is a true warrior - Amazon to the max!

Hotbutt - PPPPPLLLLBBBBTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sally - That draining sounds terrible!!!!!

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2010

NOLA September 28th here I come.  Five surgeries in 2 years with constant pain and discomfort from implants.  Finally I hope to get relief.  I sure wish someone had told me there were other options for reconstuction when this all started.  

Thanks to all the women that have posted their stories on this website.  Without you I would still feel that I would never have a normal life again. 

• Joy232
    Joy232 Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2010

Thanks ladies,  I really appreciate the well wishes with the reconstruction, but unfortunately the nagging sinus infection is still hanging around and I haven't even wanted to think about surgery lately.  So I have postphoned it and don't have a another date yet.  Next week its time to go see an ent doctor to figure out the next step. 

• holtbolt
    edited September 2010

cam.. that's a very long story but after chemo (and with the help of family, friends and a ton of great women on this site) I won a contest for my son Max (who is an electric guitar player who is 100% inspired by the incredible Joe Perry).... this was last year... then the concert was cancelled.... then they came back around and although delayed... the Bad Boys of Boston came through for us and... well, the rest is history.... super spectacular night for my family.... my son was on cloud nine.... great to see him smile after a crappy few years around here.... up close and personal with Steven....OH! ... that was over the top, considerig the crush I have.... so... I take first place in the first NOLA boobs to touch a rock icon.... anybody? I have another PG-13 picture if you need proof... pm me... (Nordy, laughlines... you wanna see it again?) LOL  Smile  Life is good.....

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.... now that it's starting to feel like Fall... I am starting to think about my Dec 3rd surgery and revisit with Dr. D.....