Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2010

Oh no Jaimieh, wonder what they wanted? I know I was stoked when I found out I am enrolled in COBRA. Pam at NOLA called to tell me that today, and I was so happy, I said great, see you Monday. She said well first I have to get the authorization/approval from your carrier. I said are you kidding? My surgery is Tuesday,  wth???? So now am I still in limbo?

• foobs
    foobs Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2010

SandyinParadise

Thanks for your welcome! 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited September 2010

Welcome to the club, Foobs! But maybe you should change your nickname to Roobs - because your boobs will be real! I have had both stacked DIEP and SGAP. The second surgery was prophylactic, and since they'd already used my abdomen for the first surgery and breast 4 years ago (my gosh, has it been that long?), they had to move to the next fattest part of me, which was my derriere, which, tho petite (vs. "flat tush," as it was actually called), was enough (plus I gained some extra weight prior, and then Dr. D lipoed away what he didn't use). I love my newest breast (and my old new one, too). I'd say I'm between 34 and 36 B, which is a little bigger than before, but just where I wanted to be.

Jamie - Glad you finally got the paperwork done, but sorry you had a bad day and that now you have to worry about the phone call you missed!

Dragonfly - Geez! They're going to keep you dangling right up until the last minute! These insurance companies are crazy-making!

Sandy - You don't need to apologize about not being able to organize a big fundraiser. You did as much as you could do from a distance and it's not your fault you didn't get the cooperation you needed. We will still all get together and have a great time. I think we should come up with some possible outings and see who wants to come to what so we can all start to get stoked about it! But if you decide to postpone your surgery, you still have to come to NOLA for Halloween! And to hang out in the hospital Friday night with Springtime and I - or I guess we could just party without you... If you decide to cancel, maybe you could give Dejaboo your surgery time - she'd party down with us! I'm sure she will, whether she's had anesthesia that day or not!

Anne - you know I'm following your saga on Facebook. I want you to get back to your house so you can continue to post those awesome mountain photos!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2010

Sandy - I am sorry about the fundraiser.  Don't get down on yourself. These things are hard to plan when you are far away. And I have not been much help from here either. It doesn't help that I am not overly creative (if at all) nor very good at fundraising.

Dragonfly - WHAT? Don't they already have pre-auth? It is not like you switched carriers, you just switched to how they are paid! Good grief! 

Anne - Keeping my fingers crossed and sending positive vibes your way!

Foobs - I had bilateral hip flaps because i did not have enough belly fat for two breasts. I am a 36 full B/small C and I love my "girls". 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited September 2010

Hi Foobs, welcome.  I had a delayed bilateral SGAP in February.  PM me if you want to... I think I ended up with a large B or small to med C... I didn't have a choice in procedure... needed two... not enough belly fat so around back we went....

Dragonfly, I feel your pain.  I had a marathon call with Anthem yesterday.... ugh.  If you don't pay attention, insurance companies will rob you blind...Hope all goes smoothly.... Jamie.. hope that call is nothing to worry about...

Anne... good news that your house was spared... Smile

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

They had a pre-authorization already with my same insurance company when I was coming in October, nothing has changed only now I am paying the premium so I'm a bit irritated and back to being stressed :(

• chimama05
    chimama05 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2010

Thanks Amy...I am still learning about how to read and make post on here but what I have seen so far is very helpful. Thank you for telling me about it!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Well now I'm in limbo, apparently my surgeon here never faxed my records. NOLA just told me this morning that they hadn't got them. WTH? Why wait til Friday to tell me this, and why didn't my surgeon send them. So I've been scrambling all morning, now they have everything they need but don't know if surgery is still on or not??? :(

• chimama05
    edited September 2010

I can't believe how bad my step 2 diep flap surgery has made me feel. It has really knocked me off my feet. I know it has only been 2 weeks since my surgery and I guess I am rushing myself but I can't wait to start feeling good again. I am still so swollen and my energy has been completely zapped out of me......guess that was from the extra lipo!!! I am still so thankful to be able to have the surgery done and I am completely satified with the results. Dr. Dellacroce from New Orleans Breast Center will always be second to my Good Lord for giving me my life back.

• chimama05
    edited September 2010

To Dragonfly19.......It took me a while to finally get things going with my insurance but the girls there at the Breast Center went over and beyond to help me get it worked out. Good luck and you will be so happy and satisfied!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Just got the call, surgery is a go!!! Leaving Sunday :) Wow, what a big mess but thank God for working it all out. See you there JaimieH

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2010

YAY Dragonfly!  You are truly in the BEST of hands. 

Well girls, I dodged another cancer bullet.  Those of you on Facebook already know, but my initial pathology of my uterus showed pre-cancer in one of the fibroids.  My ovary and fallopian tubes and perionetal wash were all clear.  So yay!  I had been prolonging the surgery for over a year and all the docs left the decision to have the uterus removed up to me.  My doc also wanted to morcellate the uterus because of the size, but I said no to that as well.  My genetics just make lumps and bumps so much scarier and almost everything they cut off of my is atypical.  I'm so glad I listed to my gut.  

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

I can't wait Trishia, super nervous but ready :)

That's great news !!!! 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited September 2010

Welcome to the site Foobs. You will learn a lot here.

I am watching the stand up for Cancer Wow it still amazes me how many people this disease affects with no regard to wealth, religion, sex,age or race. So very sad.

Anne so glad that your all safe. Hopefully the wind will change and all will be well. Praying for you.

Dragonfly and Jaime; you are in the best hands. So glad the Cobra worked out. And Jaime, before my stage 1 and 2 they called to let me know that I had 0 ZERO co/pay, that they would accept what ever my insurance paid them. Hope that is what they wanted when the called you.

Minnesota, cant wait to see you in October. i am coming in on Friday. Is Marsha coming? I would love to see her without the morophine haze. LOL

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited September 2010

Dragonfly--those must have been some frantic moments for you, getting stuff together at the last minute. Glad it all worked out!

Going home tomorrow. We may not have power, but we're going home anyway. I'll need a ton of Fabreeze to clean the smoke smell, and baking soda for a fridge full of spoiled food. But I at least have a home to go back to.

Thanks for all the well-wishes. It means a lot.

Anne

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Yes it was frantic!!! All good now :) Working on packing, and making a list!!!

Oh man Anne, I hope it goes good for your journey home and so happy you have a home to go to!!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2010

Anne~ I hope the clean up isn't too bad.  Glad your house is okay. 

Dragon~ Glad that you are all set.  I will see you Wednesday once I get up and moving, which I sure hope will not be long this time.  I will be the blonde with the bowl cut (and sporting it proudly might I add...lol....). 

I think I am in denial that I am heading South on Tuesday.  I found out yesterday that my kids have off on the day that I leave :(  I want to spend time with my babies but I gotta go and get this done. 

Trishia~ I am so glad that you had your surgery.  BTW, there are a couple of ladies on YSC who have the same genetic issue (sorry I can't spell it) and had some questions.  I hope this is your last run in with atypical cells :(

• Nordy
    edited September 2010

Trishia!!! Wooohhoooooo!!!!! Thank goodness you listened to your intuition! And thank goodness you had a rather large baby 18 or so years ago! AND thank goodness you had a FABULOUS doctor :) to help you out through all of the surgery and listen to your wants and needs. SO happy for your dodging of another bullet!

Dragonfly. H*lls bells girl. I am so, so glad that you got everything worked out. I will be thinking of you on Sunday as you fly out! Loved meeting you and you will do fabulous. You know this right? After all... Dr. S is the best (teehee, all you Dr. D girls... Wink)

Jaimie - I understand you being sad to leave your kids... I hope that this is the last big surgery for you and sending positive vibes your way! 

Anne - I had heard on the news earlier today that they were letting people go back to their houses, but that you are not in the clear yet... I will keep sending positive thoughts, prayers and maybe even do a rain dance for you. 

On another note, my girlfriend here who had unilateral DIEP w/Dr. Massey has a new area of concern on her mammo on the non-cancerous side. She is set for a biopsy on Monday. You know... cancer really does suck. I am hoping and praying that it is not cancer or that if it is, it is still in the very early stages. If it happens to be, Eve, you are the best example for a GAP reconstruction after unilateral DIEP. I certainly hope it does not come to that. 

Sandy - when you talk to Alaina again, please tell her that I am so, so happy that this most recent chemo regimen is working. Please send hugs from me to her. 

• Nordy
    edited September 2010

Trishia!!! Wooohhoooooo!!!!! Thank goodness you listened to your intuition! And thank goodness you had a rather large baby 18 or so years ago! AND thank goodness you had a FABULOUS doctor :) to help you out through all of the surgery and listen to your wants and needs. SO happy for your dodging of another bullet!

Dragonfly. H*lls bells girl. I am so, so glad that you got everything worked out. I will be thinking of you on Sunday as you fly out! Loved meeting you and you will do fabulous. You know this right? After all... Dr. S is the best (teehee, all you Dr. D girls... Wink)

Jaimie - I understand you being sad to leave your kids... I hope that this is the last big surgery for you and sending positive vibes your way! 

Anne - I had heard on the news earlier today that they were letting people go back to their houses, but that you are not in the clear yet... I will keep sending positive thoughts, prayers and maybe even do a rain dance for you. 

On another note, my girlfriend here who had unilateral DIEP w/Dr. Massey has a new area of concern on her mammo on the non-cancerous side. She is set for a biopsy on Monday. You know... cancer really does suck. I am hoping and praying that it is not cancer or that if it is, it is still in the very early stages. If it happens to be, Eve, you are the best example for a GAP reconstruction after unilateral DIEP. I certainly hope it does not come to that. 

Sandy - when you talk to Alaina again, please tell her that I am so, so happy that this most recent chemo regimen is working. Please send hugs from me to her. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Yes Nordy, I've been told Dr S is the best, so thankful and anxious to meet him :)

Can anyone give me some quick names of places to eat or see? I hear that you can take the street car from the center. I have about a 4 hour waiting period on Monday, and would love to see some things. May go back out Monday night after my appointment if I can figure it all out??? 

• foobs
    edited September 2010

Hotbolt , Nord and Minnesota, Sandy in Paradise and everyone else

Thanks for answering me.   You sound so positive and happy with your results.  I'm going to NOLA after 2 disapointing trips to MDAnderson Houston.  I'm so glad I found out about Dr. Massey and St. Chas Surgical.  And I bet you all remember how good it feels to get to this place! 

I had to deliver some art work for a show this morning to a cancer center and I walked past a very sick chemo patient, head wrap, face mask, hunched over--and for a second I was right back at a year and a half ago.  I looked just like her.  You want to hug them and tell them its going to be ok, but you don't because you don't know if theyre stage IV or not.  aghhhhhh!  just had to share that.  I wanted to tell her that I suddenly realized the other day that I don't think about it all the time anymore.  sometimes I forget i had it for days and days!

My niece found a mug for me and it says "CANCER, YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH"  ha! 

• foobs
    edited September 2010

PS Springtime, you can add me to the list.  I'm at St Charles for a bilateral on November 10th.

Thank you

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2010

Nordy~I 100% agree on the doctor being FABULOUS!  I told him so when he called me on Thursday.  I appreciate docs who actually LISTEN to thier patients.  You would think it would be the norm and no the exception! 

Anne~YAY!  I'm so glad that you are able to go home.  Sending more prayers to Mother Earth for you.  

Jamieh~I'll go check again at YSC.  I thought I answered the gal about LFS.  Good luck on your sugery!!!  You too Dragonfly. 

Welcome Foobs.  

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited September 2010

Welcome Foobs, there are plenty of wonderful women who to answer all your questions!  Jaimeh and Dragonfly - good luck!  You are both gonna do great!  Anne - congrats on going home.  Prayers for all of you!  Daughters wedding in a few more weeks, then I can breathe again, lol.  Then it will be time for my stage 2. Year has gone fast.....

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2010

Dragonfly~ Zea's is right down the street from the center and has great food.  I love the zeasar salad with Chicken. 

Riding the street car is tons of fun (IMO) but I am very chatty.  I got to see my favorite street car driver Melvin last time and he is just a doll.  He actually waited for me last time because I was a mess after walking all day.  There is also a cemetary off of St. Charles (I think LaFayette) that we walked to last time but it grossed me out. 

So I am thinking that it is almost time to pack but I am really not ready to leave my babies again.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Thanks for the tips Jaimie :) I'll have to watch for Melvin, lol!! I'm all packed, house is clean and fridge is stocked....!!

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited September 2010

Hey everyone!!I've not been on in over a month and had a lot of reading to do. I won't be ble to make it to NOLA in Oct with everyone else, I have no time left from work. I really would like to go for Dr. D to even up my saggy right breast. It was my left side that was radiated and now the flaps are stretching at different rates.The left one really is still perky but the right one,uh, not so much! Oh well, perhaps next year some time.

Since many of you will be back for your stage 2 and other touch ups I want to remind you that there a several pages left in the Thank You scrap book and I hope you will create a  12 X12 page to take and slip into the book. If you need directions on how to do it just PM me and I'd be glad to asist. I really hope the book is an inspiration to those who sit in the waiting room for the first time as well as a meaningful example of our deep appreciation to our beloved Dr's.

I've been out of stage 2 bi-lat SGAP for 13 weeks now, I'm still wearing the same size clothes, which is weird for me since I had a LOT of lipo done. Any one else experience that?

Good to hear about all the graeat results and see the new folks here!

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2010

Okay just wanted to check in Dragonfly is in NOLA :) 

I will see you on Wednesday :) 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited September 2010

Good luck bennets, Dragonfly, and Jamie!!!!!

foobs - your telling about seeing th eother woman at the cancer center literally gave me goosebumps. definitely been there, wondering if I should reach out or not. Lately, I just reach out - never had my hand bit yet!

Hi sally! Likewise!

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2010

Gosh,

So much to comment on. 

Trishia, you sound great!  Very happy for you but sorry(that any of us has to deal w/ this) at the same time.

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!......  You are one tough broad- whose bikini pic remains my inspiration!

Anne W.  Hope all is well at your home...

Ginnie-Yay for stage 2!

Sandy- so upbeat you are.  And tell Alaina hello for me, very good-that it stabilized.

Nordy-xoxo-haven't talked w/ you in forever.

Very happily coming up on my one year anniversary of adoption of the twins. 9/22.  No regrets on any of it-esp my choice to go to Nola.  Dr D had just started doing CTA'son all his pts within a week or 2 of when I went because my initial work up did NOT include one but Sally told me I'd get one during preop the day before when she called. 

And Minn I agree-they are real to me, look real and are made from me so.....?

Had  bit of a scare (or neurotic moment) recently.  I've been running low grade fever(and no other symptoms/source) for a couple weeks that I know of but was actually 99 when I saw my MD end of June.  Had a bunch of labwork etc last week that all came back normal(YAY!). All summer long I have been thinking I was having hot flashes and maybe I am?  But I really never had them for the yr and a half I've been on Tamoxifen. So  MD told me to come back if it didn't resolve, got worse, etc. 

Off to bed!  jjd