Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited October 2010

So,I spoke with Dr. Trahan.  He said it is not unusual to have some drainage from the exit site as well as in the bulb.  It is just probably excess fluid that is taking the path of least resistance.  As long as the bulb is maintaining good suction then don't worry about.  Put some additional dressing around the drain hose and it should be fine.  He said I could pull the other drain if I was sure it wasn't doing anything.  He said rarely are they ready to pull in less than 2 after surgery but to push on the area around the site and along the incision to make sure I don't feel any fluid. If I don't, go ahead and pull it.     But I think I will go ahead and wait the two weeks.  I don't want to do anything to compromise my progress.  

I have been doing pretty well. No real pain except at the drains and they are sooooooo sensitive.  I don't see how you ladies managed with drains and the dom outfit.   I cringe just thinking about it!  I don't know when the policy changed but I am so glad I got to reap the benefit. Dragonfly, you and I both might be whimps to even complain.  We obviously have had it much easier than the others just by missing out on the torture outfit. 

Dr. S called me in something for my infection so that is long gone.  All in all I am pretty happy with how things are moving along.  

Thank you again to all who have gone before and prepared us for what to expect.  I don't think I would have ever considered going through with it had it not been for this discussion board and all who have contributed!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited October 2010

Man ann, you and I are on the same page. It hurts so bad around my drain/incision not like something is wrong but just like it's super tender. Its miserable for sure, takes me so long to get up and down because they pull, I can only find a couple things to wear so I'm limited!!! I totally agree Ann, I'd be hosed if I was wearing the dom outfit too!! LOL

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Man ann, you and I are on the same page. It hurts so bad around my drain/incision not like something is wrong but just like it's super tender. Its miserable for sure, takes me so long to get up and down because they pull, I can only find a couple things to wear so I'm limited!!! I totally agree Ann, I'd be hosed if I was wearing the dom outfit too!! LOL

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2010

Hi Ladies. It's been a while. I had a really busy summer working and now I am renovating my house so I don't have a second of down time. I am trying to catch up with everything, too many posts.

What no dom outfit!!!!!!!! I kind of liked that thing. I know my husband thought it was very sexy and it was great for keeping your drains in place so they didnt move around. Perhaps that is the problem that some of you are having. If the drains stay in place there is no opportunity for them to pull on the stitches that hold them, so less irritation.

So sorry to be missing the get together at the end of the month. I am going to Europe on Nov 4th and I just can't swing it. Bummer, I would love to meet up with Sheri, Bev and Jennifer again, as well as all you other gals.. Has it really been a year since our stage 1 surgeries. All you newbies you have soooooo made the right choice to have your surgery in Nola. They are the best and their work is perfection.

Ann and Elaine my prayers are with you.

Hey Bev I just may see you after all. I see that you are going back for tats in Dec. I may try to squeeze that in for the end of the year as well.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

You could be on to something about how awful the dom outfit is, but keeping the drain tubes in place. That seriously seems to be the worst part of my recovery right now, and I'm crossing my fingers they are out this week!!!

How much of nipples can be done at stage 2? I'm thinking that's so low on my list of priorities that maybe I'll just wait and have it done locally when I'm ready. That way if there are necessary tweaks I can drive 10 minutes vs an entire trip.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited October 2010

Some people get nips at Stage 2. I think it depends on how much needs to be done in breast revisions and lifts. I didn't want nips at Stage 2. I'm ready at Stage 2B, but we'll wait to see how the new breast shape turns out after the necrosis is removed. Then it'll be nip time...

Anne

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited October 2010

Dragonfly: The worst part about Stage 1 for me, was also where the drains came out of the hip.  I definitely complained about that more than anything else, so I'm feeling your pain!  The Center told me to put Neosporin Plus on it, the kind with the addition of the numbing medicine, at the exit site.  That helped a bit, I think. 

• just4ann
    edited October 2010

Dragonfly, I got desperate and tested a theory. I put big bandaids (2x4) over the exit sites to hold the drains in place. It seems to help because now they can't move. I'll give it a little time and keep you posted.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Thanks for the tip, I may try that! I can't believe how much I'm whining but good grief it hurts lol!! I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in the hip drain pain!!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

I missed your post the 1st time Ann. Sounds like a good idea. I took the big ABD or whatever pads today over the drains, and then used the ace bandage around a couple times so we'll see too!! lol

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited October 2010

Great tip about the neosporin with pain relief for drain sites--also, after stage I when I didn't have the dom, spanx worked for me to help keep things from moving too much. I think dragonfly's bandage might do the same thing--hope it helps!

I decided to do my nips locally too. I wanted things to really have a chance to settle so placement would be right. I really like and trust my local PS and have seen pictures of his work that I'm very pleased with. I'm scheduled for December.

• mchas
    edited October 2010

I agree with what somebody said earlier, about how wearing the DOM outfit actually helped, in terms of the drains not wiggling so much at their exit point.  I cut an Abd pad in the middle, up to about the middle, and put that as a protector around the exit site, then pulled the girdle over that and it helped it to not move, which is what causes the pain.  So, taping bandaids over it, or doing something to it so it doesn't wiggle so much, is definitely a great idea.

I am wondering about this flank/butt/thigh pain from the lipo'ing...  Did any of you add an egg crate mattress or some other kind of extra padding to your bed, while you were still puffy and sore and achey?  I'm thinking of doing that.  Our mattress is rock hard, which normally, I love, but not I'm not lovin' it so much.  It hurts to move in bed.  I'm sore from the middle of my back down to the backs of my knees, and along my thighs, on the outside (so, basically 3/4rd's of my mid-section).  It'd be ok, if I could sleep on my stomach, but since they had to remove the right nipple, and do some revisions to the left one, The Center told me not to sleep on my tummy for a few weeks, dang it.

Look who's whining now! 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited October 2010

mchas, I have a 3 inch memory foam topper on my bed (from Target) and I never hurt while in that bed. I don't feel the urge to roll over all the time, and I still get my regular mattress's support. I highly recommend it, for Stages 1 & 2!!

Anne

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

I wonder when they stopped doing the dom outfit after stage 1? I bet that's what causes the pain at the drain site, all the moving around and tugging etc!

I bet the egg crate would really help with the bed. I have a memory foam mattress topper and it's super comfy normally. However laying in one position all night gets sore no matter what! I'm normally a stomach or side sleeper!

Whine away, I think it's just that kind of day/week :)

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited October 2010

I think they still do the DOM with hip flaps, stacked flaps and Sgaps but not with the DIEP.  I am not sure why because having the tummy tuck done at stage 2 I hated the dom. but held onto it for longer than I need to.  I had the dom. on this time when I woke up again, I had my incision  extended and skin removed and once again I hated it but clung to the waist support.  This time the hate was different because of the new brand....I really disliked it.  It didn't cover all of my thighs and would slide down during the day and then I would get pinched when I sat down in my groin because it was not covered.  Anyhow I survived and now unless I am doing a lot of physical work I am done with the dom. 

Sorry for the rattle but I think that is why. 

So I removed a breast stitch today and I do not like how it looks so I tapped the two sides together.  The stitch was huge and left a BIG hole that I tapped together...lol...  I still have the plastic nipple guard on and I plan on removing it once my nipple is scab free.  I will then wear the other nipple guard for 2 weeks and then I will be done (hopefully).   Tatoo's are coming and now I am trying to figure out how big I want my areolas.  I can NOT wait, I am so excited. 

• mchas
    edited October 2010

Glad to hear that the memory foam pad worked.  I was wondering about that.  I'm off to Target right now!!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Let me know if you get one and what you think. Got mine at Costco and they had a coupon for them recently!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

Stephanie!!! Hope to see you in December! Sounds like you have a lot going on.

I took the advice of some ladies here and got one of those Merena compression outfits on eBay. It listed for well over $100 bucks, but I got it for $19.99. I hope it fits. I got a "large" and I hope it's large enough! I am 5'8" and 157 pounds. As one of the ladies said, the sizes were very limited, but the advice was to "size down" if you were between sizes, so this may just work out. This particular one is a stage 1 and goes from under breast to below the knees so I thought on the flight home I won't have to wear those icky Ted hose. I hate those things!  

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Yeah, no one warned me about the Ted hose!! LOL! So between only being only able to wear my capri lounge pants home, and the ted hose and flip flops i was looking good !! LOL I didn't know about the pictures they do either, that's a real wake up call ha ha, as well as waking up totally shaved! TMI probably. Just some of the things that I didn't know going in :)

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Springtime, let me know how accurate the sizing is on the marena item! I'd like to consider one before or after stage 2.

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited October 2010

Could someone tell me how to contact someone about the Angel Flight?  I know it has been discussed here.  Anything you can tell me will help.

Thank you

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Bettye - if you need flight assistance talk to Katie at the center, she helped me take care of it all. There is a mercy medical flight form to fill out. You will need to call the ACS to get an ID# and go from there. Angel flight typically is short flights on a very small plane, so it depends on where you're coming from/going to!

• polamom
    polamom Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010

Well this week will be a fury of planning.  I tried all last week to get in touch with Liz for scheduling.  It was important to me to go down during our fall break.  My youngest (5) cries when she hears I'm going to the doctor - at all.  So I want their father to take them on vacation to their grandmas while I sneak down to NOLA.    This happens the 11-15th!!  I finally emailed Liz instead of calling and she wrote back that she needed my records to get started (even though the insurance stuff has been settled), but the dates should be do-able.  I wish someone else could have told me about the records (not even sure what it is to ask for? Biopsy results?).  I feel I wasted a week waiting. :(  I hope something doesn't come up now that I can't go.   I have never flown and that is freaking me out.  I am worried the flight costs will be much higher because of the short notice.    And after reading the board tonight I'm really hopeing there won't be anything I can't do for myself during our stay.  I asked Dad to go with me and....well I'll just be out of luck if there is anything private I need help with (from dressing to whatever).  Please tell me I'll be ok. LOL    I wish I had better dates to give.  hopefully the 11th

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Polagirl - so sorry it's been a wreck getting it all situated! It will work out, mine was a total disaster too. I got laid off right before i went so I didn't know until 2 days before my flight if I had insurance, and my surgeon here forgot to send the records to NOLA so I almost had to cancel it yet again!!! Grrr!!! Just stay on top of getting the records to Liz, it is super important! i think it's because they need all your medical info, records, tests, results, pathalogy etc...

Where are you from?

I went with my Mom, and the time I was in the center I didn't need her to do anything for me. The nurses are great and will take good care of you. Same at the hope lodge. What are you having done?

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited October 2010

Hi Gals,

Okay, I was reading about the hair on the nipples. So where exactly does the skin come from that they use to build the nipples?

Regarding the hip drains. I folded the gauze pads (not ABD) over once long wise and then cut a V from the top to the middle of the gauze and then placed the V under the drain and taped the top of the V closed at the top of the drain, making sure that it was also stuck to my skin to hold it in place. I have very sensative skin so I used paper tape and not bandaids which would just make me break out in a rash. Doing this really helped keep my hip drains in place and stopped the pulling. I put new V gauze under the drains twice a day and made sure and used hand sanitizer to strip the drains and lots of betadine around the drain area to keep the possibility of infection down. I pulled my last drain after 3 weeks and boy was I glad to get rid of it.

Dragonfly, I love the extra belt in the shower idea. I will do that for stage 2.

I too ended up with one much larger breast. My right breast is at least 1 cup size smaller than the left and my left breast if off center.  I have often wondered if DR S really was the one who did my surgery because of the size difference and the fact that I had to have 2 units of blood due to some unexplained reason. It just seems strange that someone with Dr S skill would have had both of these problems occur in one surgery. I also only saw DR S. the day before the surgery, right before I went to the operating room and then for my post op. Dr T was the one who took care of me at the hospital because DR S was gone for the weekend. So who knows, I just hope that the Dr can fix the size issue and make my right boob bigger. In spite of it all. I love these boobs.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Wow, you just described my experience at the center. I saw Dr S for my pre-op, I saw him the morning in when the nurses were getting my prepped for surgery, and then maybe once in the hospital after that, but Dr T did my check before I left, my discharge, and my post op because Dr S was out of town for the weekend! I don't know if I had to have blood, they didn't tell me that???

I am happy with my right breast which is smaller, so I am hopeful that Dr S can take my left one down some and make it smaller to match? I hear that's easier so I'm crossing my fingers.

Sheridangirl - when is your stage 2? I love your gauze pad idea, my skin is sensitive too to the tape! 

• polamom
    edited October 2010

Sorry, I forgot to add I'm having mastectomy/reconstruction (stacked diep?) /SNB on my right breast.   Whatever necessary on my left to match.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited October 2010

dragonfly~ You are in great shape and I am positive that Dr. S will get you to the perfect size for you.  I had to be added to on my left and they look incredible now (yes I love my twins...lol...). 

I am still exhausted.  I hate that feeling after surgery...grrr.  Wednesday will be 3 weeks and I still am tired, I know it's normal but I want to feel better NOW.   

• just4ann
    edited October 2010

Okay,I can find nothing that helps.  These are so sore.  My right drain which is basically putting out nothing has started leaking around the exit.  Both are swollen and red, I am sure from the irritation and I am about ready to try the dom outfit just for the chance of some relief.  I am ready to move beyond the whining phase on to the crying phase.  Boo Hoo

• polamom
    edited October 2010

Oh! I have a question.   Is  there wifi available in the hospital or the place we stay? lol   I have an iphone (hand me down) that I use wifi in my house and at restaurants, but no phone service.  Is there wifi in the hospital available to patients?   I want to use facebook to update family/friends.   And I admit I'm adicted to my laptop.   I'd take it too if I thought I could use it.    Netflix streaming would be awesome.    That and Louis CK clips on youtube to keep me laughing.   I believe in laughter being a great medicine and he's already helped me through some dark evenings.   Sorry to digress...and what about Hope Lodge? Does everyone pretty much stay there now?