Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2010

Dragonfly, DrS said pulling them is very simple.  Clip the stitch holding it in place.  Take some gauze and press around the exit site to keep from pulling the skin and just pull the drain out. Make sure the bulb is open.  The hose is the same diameter all the way to the end so it won't hurt. There will probably be some stringy looking blood clots on the end but that it normal. He made it sound very simple.  He also said you can pull just one when it gets below 25.   The other drain will pick up the slack.   Good luck.  

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2010

Ann- thanks so much for the info, I had the drains before so I didn't even really think about them much this time. Then when I got home and heard how long they were etc...I was in a panic :) So glad to hear you're heading home tomorrow, it will be great to get home! Btw, the nurse got my email, thank you!

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2010

Hi I am 4boyaunt, 4boymom's sister. We are still here in New Orleans. She is doing great for such a long surgery. Her boobs both sides look great. They are really nice shaped and her rear hip flaps look like nothing was removed. The drains are kind of weird but she is doing great.

We do some walking around and probably walked too much the first day. It was her second day out of the hospital and 4 days post surgery. She had surgery on Friday, we walked about a mile on Tuesday. We also ate out. We are staying at the Bienville, so we eat breakfast and then have a nap and then do a mid day jaunt. Tomorrow she sees Dr.S....She was a little worried because one area of the upper breast was  a little hard, but Dr.S talked to her and said it was normal.

Like I said her breasts look really great. She is so happy to have two...she kept saying, I have two, I have two....she is a great woman and I didn't care about her mascetomy, I just love having my sister but this surgery was worth all the work she put into making it happen and it turned out really great.

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2010

Hi I am 4boyaunt, 4boymom's sister. We are still here in New Orleans. She is doing great for such a long surgery. Her boobs both sides look great. They are really nice shaped and her rear hip flaps look like nothing was removed. The drains are kind of weird but she is doing great.

We do some walking around and probably walked too much the first day. It was her second day out of the hospital and 4 days post surgery. She had surgery on Friday, we walked about a mile on Tuesday. We also ate out. We are staying at the Bienville, so we eat breakfast and then have a nap and then do a mid day jaunt. Tomorrow she sees Dr.S....She was a little worried because one area of the upper breast was  a little hard, but Dr.S talked to her and said it was normal.

Like I said her breasts look really great. She is so happy to have two...she kept saying, I have two, I have two....she is a great woman and I didn't care about her mascetomy, I just love having my sister but this surgery was worth all the work she put into making it happen and it turned out really great.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited August 2013

4boyaunt... 4boymom's sister.. lol cute!!  I'm glad you are happy Cincinnati... now you get to go home and help celebrate the Reds victory!!  That was so exciting last night... I could hardly stand it (born and raised in Cincy).

Dragonfly - I hope I didn't make you nervous about the drains... I am a wuss.. so pulling them myself was a huge accomplishment for me.. and you know what... it wasn't that bad...but yes when you go to pull one (if you do it yourself) press down where the drain exits your body and yes, make sure the bulb tab is open.   I had a bilateral SGAP so Stage 1 my hip drains were in 4 weeks left/6 weeks right.  Stage 2 I also came home with 2 hip drains but I pulled them after about a week or 10 days..

Xfitgirl (Liz) - Welcome to the thread... I'm so excited that you are going to NOLA.  I like to think that my bathroom flash after your consult at the Center is the reason.. LOL.  Your husband looked like he thought I was crazy to drag you into the bathroom... LOL.  You will be in the best of hands .. wishing you a beautiful new set of twins for the Fall :)

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2010

Fourboymom~ Yeah for bigger than you thought and two :)  Glad you are happy with the surgery, I thought you would be :).  Keep up the walking but make sure you rest.  The drains are a pain but you can make it thru this. 

Well all nipple stitches are out and righty is still looking good.  It was a bit of work getting them out but my DH managed and did a fine job.  I had to take them out because I have a weird reaction to the stitches and instead of the stitches disolving my skin does.  So I was told by Celeste that I needed to get them out at 14 days.  So today was a big day, out with the stitches and I ditched the compression garment....YEAH!!!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited September 2010

Holtbolt..I saw that you knew Liz from her NOLA consult (via FB) how wonderful that she already "knows" some of us!

Liz, read as many of the posts all the way back from page 1 and you will get some handy info for the trip AND recovery~

Much love,Marcia

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited September 2010

Thanks Marcia! Will do!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Is it ok to put any neosporin or anything on the incision? I noticed when i took the gauze pads off ( i had them on between my new breast and my bra to keep it from rubbing) that it was stuck to the incision, small amounts of dried blood on the gauze pad. Now it feels like I ripped off the skin, it burns to touch :( It's not bleeding or doesn't look infected, I just think it's irritated?

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2010

Ann and Elaine - you are both in my prayers!

Dragonfly, I have been dealing with incisions and open areas for a long time now! lol  It might be better to wet the gauze on the outside before removing it, rather than putting any ointment on the incision, but you may want to email the Center to be sure.  Even with the "nonstick" gauze I have had issues with it sticking due to blood or drainage, and usually getting the guaze wet will make it come off easy.  Hope everyone is doing well, and good luck to those going soon!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Thanks Gin! They are the ABD pads or something the center gave me, but that one day they stuck dang it!! Who do I email at the center? I dealt with so many people there.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2013

THE DOM STUFF HAS CHANGED!!! I can't believe many of us suffered through the DOM!!! It was wear it all the time, 24/7 for a Looooooong Friggggiiiin Tiiiiiiiiiiiiime.  Ugh!!! You ladies are LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY -- believe me! Sounds like now it's after drains come out and after lipo. (which makes sense). Dealing with that friggin DOM, with the drains, well, ladies who did it, you know who you are!!! 

Welcome Liz! I have added you to the listing above! Marcia, thanks for bringing Liz to us. Liz- Yes, we are on for Thurs 28th at Zea. Time is likely right after three of us finish up with our pre surgical appts. I think the plan is to walk there from the center? So an early dinner. We will all get cell numbers prior and will stay in touch. You will very likely be up to going to dinner at that point (7 days after surgery), and just in time to see all of us who have gone through it all and looking hot hot hot. LOL. A few of us have revision surgeries the next day, and a couple are just there to run half marathons or something!!! (amazing!)

Spring.

• just4ann
    edited October 2010

It took us a total of 11 hours from the time we left Hope Lodge until we were back in Tennessee.  We could have driven in about 8 hours.  Between the layovers and delays and weather I thought we would never get home.  But we finally made it.  Were picked up at the airport by our daughter and granddaughter.  Its hard to tell who missed who the most!  

We got home and were greeted by our 5 month old puppy -- an English Mastiff -- that I know had to have grown six inches taller while we was gone.  She is now bigger than my 5 year old Boxer Bulldog.  They both sat at my feet with their head in my lap for the longest.   What a nice welcome!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

So glad you made it home Ann!! Your trip home sounds about like mine! Missed out connection in Chicago, weather, 3 hour delay getting out! Ahhh, airport chairs are not meant for surgery patients! I bet those dogs are so cute, I love both of those breeds! Rest, and take care :)

• just4ann
    edited October 2010

Spring, I can't imagine having to wear the DOM with drains.  The picture on the package is enough to make me cringe.  I am so glad to have missed that part.  

Overall I am feeling really good.  No pain, limited drainage.  But as luck would have it I have developed a terrible yeast infection as well as a good case of thrush.  It happens everytime I take Kelflex.  I don't know why I thought this time should be any different. Now wouldn't that have been wonderful to have to deal with in a DOM get up!  I feel for you ladies who were forced to endure.  

I bet the hardest part is going to be remembering my limits.  I would love to get up this morning and go work in the garden.  Our growing season is just finishing up and everything is looking pretty raggedy.  Or I would love to do some yard work.  Ugh!  I know I have to just be patient but that was never one of my strong suits!    

• Dagroz13
    Dagroz13 Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010

I am amazed at the strength and resiliency the women on this site have.  The common bond and willingness to reach out to others is awe-inspiring. 

I will be in New Orleans from Oct. 17th through Oct. 31st and will be at the Hope Lodge so I look forward to meeting many of you.  I would enjoy joining ya'all for dinner as well. 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited October 2010

Hey, Spring,

Add me to the list for Nov 19 at Fairway, Stage 2B. Going to have the fat necrosis removed, breasts lifted, scars reduced, and some sort of procedure to make my "butt look better"!!!!! Whatever it is Marga wants to do there, she's got the green light. (When your surgeon says she can make your butt look better, don't argue!)

Anyway, that's sort of a soft date, all depending on my dad's health. He's struggling right now after colon surgery.

Anne

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

Ann - there's no place like home! :)

Dagroz - you are welcome to join us for dinner at Zea on Thurs, Oct 28th! Can't wait to meet you. I think we will be about 15 people if I am counting right! Sandy says we don't need a reservation, and we do plan on an early dinner. We will be catching a 6AM flight out that morning, so we may be snoozing in our soup, DH and I!!! 

Anne, totally agree. Anything with "butt" and "better" in the same sentence would get a green light! Having one of those transformed butt's I say go for it. I will add you to the list. Lots of women have been at Fairway, and I believe most have been very pleased.

Spring. 

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited October 2010

Ladies, need your input please...just had bilateral DIEP in Charleston  a month ago. I came home weighing 20 lbs. less than when I went. I thought coming home and getting my appetite back I'd start gaining back. I'm now down about 23 after being home  3 weeks.  I'm thrilled at the loss and actually need to lose about 25 more. How will this weight loss affect my breasts? Should I keep exercising, etc. and try to lose all I can before Stage 2 so if something needs added it can be done then? I would rather lose the weight a little slower. I love the size I am now, C, and would hate to be down to a B in 6 mos. due to weight loss. I'm not doing much more than walking since surgery, about an hour a day.

Thanks..Joni

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited October 2010

Joni, in the scheme of things, the wieght loss is so important for your health. I would imagine you'll lose some volume from your breasts, but it may not be as bad as you think. Have you asked your surgeon for guidance? That said, I doubt fat injections would bump you back to a C if you dropped to a B.

I'd give you my extra if I could. I'm going from a C back to a B...

Anne

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited October 2010

Hello All... one week out from Stage 2. Glad to have that behind me!

Ditto Gin52: {{{Ann and Elaine and BCDiva}}}... you're all in my thoughts and prayers!!

Ann: I was at NOLA last week - sorry to have missed meeting you.  It felt like such a short "visit" this time.  Surgery on Friday, out on Saturday.  I only had time for one 'lap' of the place and only saw one other woman there, who I don't think was you.

I am bruised and swollen and achey, from halfway down my back to the back of my knees, but feeling SO MUCH better than after Stage 1.  The biggest pain?  Sitting down to pee!  Why do they make toilet seats so hard!!!!

Question for you gals: Why did you buy the long Marena (Marlena?) garment post-Stage 2?  I'm wearing the same black 'girdle' I wore after Stage 1 (which I wore for 9 lloooonngg weeks, with hip drains and all).  I was able to pull my drains last night, since the output was down to less than 20cc x 2 days.  Dr. D. said to wear the girdle for one week after pulling the drains.  They didn't say anything about another kind of garment.  Just wondering...

Thanks!

Melissa

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2010

My dr said I needed to wear a garment for 3 or more months after stage 2, and I couldn't bear to wear the one I got from her (the dom). I just opted for a more comfortable one (all the Marena garments are comfy). The fabric in the dom was killing my skin, giving me blisters.

She probably would have been okay with something like Spanx too, but the Marena is designed for long-term wear, Spanx isn't.  Those were my reasons.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

So after stage 2, is there normally drains (i'm 2 1/2 weeks out from stage 1, and still dragging around 2 hip drains :( ) Also this infamous DOM outfit, you wear it for how long after stage 2? Jeskachi, would you suggest buying the marena outfit before stage 2, or just seeing how it goes and wearing the centers until you can't stand it lol!! :)

• mchas
    edited October 2010

Dragonfly:  Hate to tell you this, but I had my hip drains for 8 weeks after Stage 1!  It felt like forever at the time, but I got through it with a lot of support from women here.  Afterwards, it felt like it went by quickly.  I wore that darn black girdle the whole time, and now am back to wearing it again.  ugh!

Re: Stage 2 hip drains... I was able to pull them in a week.  Is that the norm for you all that have been through this before?  Or did I pull them too quickly (I was down to less than 20cc each, x 2 days)?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Oh man, really? 8 weeks :( I think I'm going to go back to bed and cry!!! I think one of them is almost ready to come out but the other is going strong with about 50-60cc a day :( I don't know how you guys wear the girdle and had drains. My hips where the drains are, are so tender to touch, getting up and down is bad enough...

Are stage 2 hip drains a given?

• mchas
    edited October 2010

I think I had my hip drains longer than most people, because I ended up getting an infection at the 4 week mark, which put me behind a bit.  I didn't mean to make you feel depressed, and I doubt you'll need your drains as long as I did, but I just wish somebody would've told me, at the outset, how long they might stay in.  They told me 3-4 weeks, at my post-op appointment.  Then, when I was still draining like crazy at 4 weeks, they said "just one more week", then at 5 weeks: "just one more week", etc.  I kept having expectations that weren't met, so I was horribly disappointed.  If I'd known earlier, that it could be 4-8 weeks, I could've adjusted myself, emotionally.  Hope that makes sense, and I really, really hope that I was the exception to the rule and your drains will be out much quicker!!!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

It's ok, I was kidding. The drains totally suck, and I'll whine til the day they're pulled!! :) However, I know they're in for a reason and will appreciate them later at some point. It's a love/hate relationship I have, lol!!! Well my surgery was the 14th of September, so it's been 2 1/2 weeks I think?

I'm trying to remember if they told me how long they'd be in? I think at my pre-op Dr S, said that it really varies, some patients are just more "juicy" than others. 

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited October 2010

I had a corrective surgery after stage I--more like a 1b because I had so much repair work and I had drains for 7 weeks (in 8 weeks after 1a). The good news--my recent stage II which included breast and butt revision and lipo I needed NO drains (-:!!! So it depends on what you have done.

I had no dom after 1a, I was given the binder for after drains came out but after a couple days wore spanx instead. After 1b I wore the above the knee dom--and while it's not the greatest especially with drains, I really didn't find it all that bad given everything else I've gone through--I just had to make sure to use the ABD pads around zipper/drains...when I got on line and saw how expensive they all are I was grateful that they provided a couple of pairs.  This last time (August) I had knee lipo and the below the knee dom was actually a lighter fabric that gave less compression but was more comfortable.  From my experience the Marsupial Pouches for drains is what I would spend my money on--but maybe that's cause I've had so many for so long.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Thanks Sara!!! I hope at stage 2, it's just some revisions to my new breasts, one seems much larger and wider than the other so taking that down some. Then the lipo. Hopefully no drains needed. I'd be so much happer if they were breast drains, at least I could get pants on, lol!! The hip ones make it so hard to wear very much around my waist as far as pants. Is it just me??? Am I a whimp :)

I love these blue pouches! I got 2 when I left the center, so I just recently got a bright idea because showering was such a time consuming, tiring process. I use one of the blue pouches for showering, one for wearing during the day! I love it, so much faster and easier this way, then tying them up or something!

• just4ann
    edited October 2010

I am still dragging both hip drains around as well.  My right has all but stopped but my left is working overtime.  In fact, it leaks from the exit site.   It is also swollen and irritated more so than the right.  I put a call in to the doctor to tell me what to do.  I know the right one can come out but considering how the left is doing I didn't know if it should be pulled first. Dr. S had said if one is pulled the other will pick up the slack.  I'll let you know what he says.