Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2010

Robyn, I'm sorry to see your news here.  It sounds as though you are prepared to fight hard and win, and my prayers will be with you.  We will miss you next month! 

As I was logging in to respond, I noticed that Marisa Weiss (founder of this site) was recently diagnosed with bc.  I watched her video about it, then noticed ads "Learn about your reconstruction options".  I clicked on one of them, and the headline on the page was "Find your implant surgeon".   Not exactly complete or unbiased information---how irritating! 

I've been noticing a loss of volume in areas where I've had fat injections, due to weight loss.  Apparently, the last fat you gain is the first fat you lose, so having lipo to my midriff to take care of the fat that had accumulated after my hysterectomy moved that newest fat to my breasts and now it's disappearing.   My breast surgeon noticed a hollow area when I was on my back for a routine exam last week and said "You need fat injected here".  I then informed her that I have surgery booked next month. It made me feel a bit better about having surgery that is all very cosmetic and not medically necessary, but I need to ask Dr. D to use fat that has been on my body longer....I guess that would be thighs!    I don't know if you ladies who were smart enough to start off in NOLA can feel the edges of your flaps, but I can really feel the tops of mine now.  I hope that I can get enough fat moved to eliminate that. I've waited a year for this surgery, and I never really worried about surgery in NOLA before, but the anticipation is stressful this time. My husband needs hernia surgery and is contemplating having it done in NOLA--possibly at the same time as my surgery.  It was my idea because I noticed that they have a hernia surgeon, but working out the details is adding to my concerns.  I like the idea of him having it done at St. Charles, where there are no sick patients.  We'd probably ship our luggage to and from NOLA, or maybe he'll have his surgery later on in November.  I'm going to talk to their hernia surgeon tomorrow and try to figure it all out. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2010

BCDiva, our sister! And my Nola Sister! You know I have been thinking about you. Surgery another time (will remove it), you need your healing powers to focus on keeping yourself strong.  

Mamaluch, I added you to the list.

Ann - if you need real help moving things along, suppositories and Milk of Magnesia blast it out. Myrilax is good to keep things moving.

Jamie, about the plastic nipple protector, I wonder if being covered in plastic all the time (and not getting air) will slow the healing? Can you maybe sleep with the plastic off? I think air might help, I dunno. Maybe ask, I mean, once you're past a certain point, you know what I mean? 

Sandy, two of you socked in the tummy at the same time?? Yikes girl!

ALSO, All of us who will be in NOLA end of OCT, can we set aside Thursday night, (10/28 - pre surgery for Sandy Minn and me) for a dinner get-together? 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2010

Is there a typical amount of time off after DIEP stage 1? I was laid off right before my surgery, and need to start looking for work again but wondered if I should hold off another couple weeks? I had my surgery on the 14th of September. Also I will be having stage 2 hopefully right around the 3 month mark, middle of December.

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2010

BCDiva, xoxo, gosh guess the beast(as much as we learn to cope w/ it) SO needs to be BEAT!  I think that is the most frustrating thing....all the time, all the advances...Just makes me SO angry!  Ok, sorry not about me but you and you will KICK!

Spring thanks for adding me to the list! Hah!  Can't wait to hook up(or crash the party) Thurs night.  Can I just say as much as I'd love to make things a little better so glad I'm not having surgery this year.  Yes, still want a 'little' fix BUT really abiding by the one year(post stage 2 deluxe) so perhaps 2011?  I still have intermittent lower abd swelling but definite improvement since May when I returned to workouts.  Meanwhile, I'll be patient and keep compressing.

Weather finally giving us a break here-did 7 miles outside yesterday in new specialty fitted walk/run shoes. Invariably, as the guy kept asking questions about the event I would be participating in I ended up spilling the whole breast recon story to the guy who fit my shoes at Luke's-His mom a BC survivor years ago.  He said I taught him a lot-seriously the whole muscle sparing....SOoo important.

Have a fabulous Monday.

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2010

Can any of you NOLA vets help me with some travel planning questions?  I am now scheduled for 11/2 with Dr. Massey for Stage 1  bilateral SGAP.  So that's a Tuesday.  Assuming all goes well would I go to a hotel on Friday or Saturday you think?  How important was it for you to have someone with you at the hospital?  My DH will be there for the surgery but I'm thinking he doesn't do well standing around in a hospital and I might want him to go home soon after! 

With the SGAP will I be able to get out and about some by day 5?  I am thinking about asking a SIL or girlfriend to come stay with me but want to warn them about what they are in for. Thank you.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2010

I thought about that too Spring but the center is cut open and Dr. S does not have us put anything on it.  So I still have the Madona look going and Wednesday the stitches will be removed.  i think I am going to keep the plastic thing on for at least another week after that to let the nipple heal without the stitches.  I just hate going to extreme but I really, really do not want an nipple problems this time.  It looks great so far and the glue is starting to come off and it looks great in color.  I am just looking forward to getting some tat's. :) 

So I put my new pictures up on Timtam's site :)  I hate that I have to rely on my DH and they look horrible.....grrrrr....

• plainjane64
    edited September 2010

Journey, I had DIEP on a tues and the plan was to go home on a fri.  I had a friend who was to come help me out FOR DC but there were problems(I needed to stay an extra day and my 'friend' was having problems)SO I didn't actually get dc'ed until Monday when another friend flew in.  I had no one w/ me until I was dc'ed and I was OK-BUT that's me. The OR team called and updated my friends at work every hour or 2.  I was on the computer/phone, communicating by maybe wednesday pm?  A friend I met on this thread (Melanie) came and visited me on tues or wednesday?  I knew I'd need more help after DC to hotel and once I got home(I'm single and live alone).  I't's doable-again everyone feels different post op but at one week after (the day after my post op)I was able to go on a bus tour of Nola and we were taking short walks to eat or whatever from the Marriott.  I felt great-yes still had a drain but was expecting so much worse.  I know part of my not bringing family was because(don't get me wrong-but) they wouldn't have been able to help and might have made things worse-love them but! that's just the truth.

• journey
    edited September 2010

Thanks plainjane - My DH wants to be with me but I know he will go nuts just sitting around.  I really think I want to send him home by say Thursday. Just not sure if I need a friend until I am released to a hotel.  Wondering if I will be fairly mobile by then too.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited September 2010

Based upon various PMs from the gals planning to be in NOLA on Thursday night (10/28), I'd like to suggest meeting for dinner at Zea (about a block from the Center), and then taking the streetcar back to the FQ to walk around/shop/sightsee.  Does this sound okay to all of you?  I'm working with the director of Hope Lodge to set up something earlier that day so we could hopefully do a service project for them while there, and then head over to Zea for dinner.

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2010

Spring thanks for the advice. I finally went the warm prune juice route and it worked wonders within 30 minutes. I feel like a new woman!

I am healing nicely -- very little pain. What pain I do have is all centralized in the lower abdomen.  But the pain meds have done a good job in maintaining control. I have worked up to walking around the block. It wears me out but they told me the more I walk the sooner I will lose the rest of the drains. And I HATE drains. I also have about a dozen places where the surgical tape blistered my skin and made raw places.  They burn like fire but are looking some better today. 

The boobs are still huge today. If the size is reflective of swelling, then the swelling hasn't gone away at all. How long before the swelling goes away?    Plus they seem to be very far apart.  Is that normal? I have no cleavage at all.  I didn't know if that was normal or something that will take care of itself when the swelling goes.   

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2010

I know i was told pay no attention to the size, symmetry etc... in the first stage. The first stage is mainly for the flaps and the vessels to connect. I'm trying to refrain from looking at mine much as I know they're not near perfect yet and I don't want to be disappointed. Do love having boobs again but am anxious for stage 2, to get them looking more perfect :)

• Springtime
    edited September 2010

Sandy and Minn and PJ and Nordy and anybody else in NOLA - Zea Thursday Oct 28th. 

ZEA - New Orleans, LA
    1525 St. Charles Ave.
    New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
    (504) 520-8100

What time ladies? Minn and Sandy, don't forget we have our appts with Sally and our preop on Thurs... I have a feeling we're going to be hanging around the SCSH and center lobby... 

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited September 2010

BC Diva-thinking of you and sending prayers and energy for strength and healing. I really enjoyed reading your blog:)

Amy

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2010

Okay not that I get to go back to NOLA to visit Don BUT I have an appt. on Dec. 3 to get my nipples tatoo'd by a local artist Vinnie Meyers.  I am excited thrilled and scared (why, I have no idea but I am). 

2 days until stitch removal........nervous about that also.  I am becoming a sissy!!

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited September 2010

BC Diva: Praying for you.

• plainjane64
    edited September 2010

Just for Ann We have the same date!  except mine was 2009!  All you recent girls(post stage 1)........I will repeat what Dr D told me at my 6 day post stage 1;  "What you see now is NOTHING like what you will end up w/ or your final product".  OMG, mine were huge....or at least I had a lot of fullness in the upper chest....this is a VERY good thing as prior to that I probably could have slung the overflowing but saggy 36DDs over my shoulders and OMG, I spent so much money and time adjusting things 'up'.  Our dear Nola MD's-who are excellent PLASTIC recon surgeons put things 'UP' high and they will settle a bit but promise they'll be higher than before-this is a GOOD thing!  It takes a LONG time for the swelling to go down.  Do NOT count the days, DO notice any current or potential 'issues'.  Stay in touch w/ the center but know ALL this is a process that can't be rushed.  Wear the bras/abd binders or whatever they sent you home w/ but Don't pull the drains early- it could cause a problem and if they pull early you'll swell more or have seromas.  USE this time to enjoy the beautiful weather, your friends and family that you'll be able to now enjoy longer.  The Kathy Stelligo book has an exercise walking schedule that I tried to keep up w/. Take full advantage of your healing time.... I Soo loved my 4-6 off weeks post stage one- probably because I've NEVER had that much time off before.  I had NO trouble filling my days and probably overdid but it was such a happy time- NO REGRETS!

• plainjane64
    edited September 2010

Spring I still have you in my phone....I remember texting you(loaded on demerol and phenergan) last Dec post stage 2!  then apparently flashing Trishia and falling asleep chatting w/ Nordy the night before LOL!(sorry Nordy!)  OMG I was So nervous pre....Marcia Marcia Marcia even was giving me pointers on how to ask for pre stage 2 please make my butt smaller stuff!  OMG I was a piece of work!

REALLY looking forward to October 28th whatever time!  It will be lots of fun to meet up w/ all you lovelies!  We all DID IT!  and so will MANY MANY MORE!  and We'll ALL be ok....no matter WHAT! 

BCDIVA You TELL Us what we can do OK?

I'll stay tuned and keep increasing mileage 4-5 more weeks!  xoxo,jjd

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited September 2010

Hi Gals,

My PCP says the lump in my abdomen is fluid between my fat and muscle area right below my ribs. Not sure if I am going to have it drained before stage 2 or not. I sent an e-mail to Celeste to see what I should do.

I have a question about the dom suit...What does it look like. I am thinking about buying a suit from Marena but I am not sure which one to get. I am quite sure Dr S will be doing lipo since my right boob needs to be bigger and I guess they will do it with fat. I am also considering buying Spanx but I am not sure what I need. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Bcdiva, My prayers are with you ! Hang in there.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited September 2010

Dinner on the 28th sounds great! I have my last pre-op appt at 3:15. I'm wondering if we could have a fairly early dinner, 'cuz I don't want to have to hang around too long outside the Quarter ('course who knows what time my appt will actually be) and I want us to have plenty of time in the Quarter after dinner before we have to head back to our hotels and worry about surgery the next day... Sandy, any idea what time the Hope Lodge thing might be?

• SandyinSoCal
    edited September 2010

Ah, Spring, you are correct!  I lost a day because Delta canceled our flight on 10/26 and now we are arriving in NOLA on 10/27 instead.   At the rate I am going, I'll be lucky just to have my surgery!!

Yes, Eve, early dinner as soon as we are done at the Center, then street car to the Quarter.  Last time,  I waited until about dinner time for my appointment because Dr. D was in surgery longer than expected, so hopefully we'll have time to relax during dinner before you want to head out.  It's looking like we won't have time to do anything for Hope Lodge unless we do it in the morning, or the prior day.  Let me know your thoughts!

Lynn, mine was a pocket of fluid too, with a bit of scar tissue.  Dr. D addressed it with a lipo cannula but it did return, albeit smaller.   It's pretty much gone now, but did take several months.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2010

I will be in NOLA on the 28th.  Id love to join in for Dinner.  Are we bringing our dhs?  Or who ever is traveling with us? 

me & dh are planning on sight seeing that day.  So will have to play it by ear if we can make it on time depending on what time dinner is planned for.

We hope to see a Plantation- I still have not done anything in NOLA but walk around the Quarter & the Garden District.

I am open to suggestions on what to do there.....

How many rented a car for driving out to a Plantation?  or did you do a tour bus thing?  Dh really doesnt do well with others driving- he gets car sick very easily...

Good Luck today-melindastn

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2010

Journey-  My Stage 1 with Dr Massey was similar time as you last year. Only I had a Thursday.

You will probably go to the hotel on Friday...Maybe Sat. 

I think you will be fine after a couple of days in the Hospital with out your dh.  But who ever is staying with you at the Hotel will have to be at the hospital for your release to the hotel.

Each woman varies after stage 1. Some need more rest then others.   On day 6 I walked 3.5 miles.  I think it was the drugs : )

I could not have done that after stage 2.

I will be having my Stage 2B With Dr D on Nov 2nd.  We will be surgery buddies.

• journey
    edited September 2010

Dejaboo - thanks so much : - )  There are a lot of balls to juggle to make this plan come together and travel details is just one part of that.  Thank you for helping me with my questions!

I hope I get to keep the surgery date and we are able to meet!

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2013

Plainjane, your post stage one message was the perfect thing for me to read this morning! I have been so bummed out about how my breasts look (I am 6 weeks post stage one). I am a fix up (from my implant reconstruction a year ago) and had thought until my pre-op that part of stage one was making my breasts look better.  But it's not and they look exactly the same. I have had to take lots of pictures to send for follow-up on a mystery rash and it's kind of hard to look at the pics. So thanks for the reassurance:)

• Springtime
    edited September 2010

2T, I added your revisions to the listing above. 

Amy, please don't be discouraged. I looked a total wreck after stage 1 (I had 4 flaps, both DIEP and GAP, it was a total ravaging of my entire body!!!). Stage 2 fixes almost everything up, and you can go back for revisions, like a lot of us, if there are a few things just sort of bugging you, or you want perfection, as Sandy says!

Pam, Yay!! Will be fab to meet you too!!! Thurs 10/28 at Zia! And YES I am bringing my husband, YOU BET! (I believe Nordy will be bringing her family). 

Sandy & Minn, do we need to make a reservation for Zia? And I totally agree about an early time being better.  Before we fly out, let's make sure we all have each other's cell's, then we can text or call for latest updates. 

About Hope Lodge. I am flying in that morning, Thurs, and then have the 2 appts at the center (hospital with Sally, and presurgical with Doc D), I think I will not be able to make it that day.

PJ, just think, this time you'll be all cool as a cucumber! :)  and yes, I remember texting and talking to you. It was a pleasure. :) 

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited September 2010

Diva -  thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers!  Kick some cancer butt!  .

• SandyinSoCal
    edited September 2010

Spring, no reservation necessary!  I think I'm just going to make a donation to Hope Lodge this time around.  I did get to stay there once and want to do something.

We've been planning on making the trip to Biloxi if we have time during this trip. 

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2010

plainjane64- oh please, do share Marcia's advise for how to ask for pre stage 2 please make my butt smaller stuff!!! :)

Journey-My husband stayed round the clock the first day but then each other day I would tell him to go enjoy the day but he would come back and check on me by dinner. My surgery was on a Tues. was sent to hotel on Sat. You are in real good hands at hospital but it does help to have someone around for lifting stuff or filling prescriptions, whatever. Don't try to be superwoman when you leave but while at the hospital,you will get great care from nurses so your hubby doesn't have to sit at your bedside.

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited September 2010

Amym, Mamaluch and 2Tsuz thanks for the replies. This site is so active, I almost didn't find the responses! Can someone PM me the link for the photo site. I'd love to see actual pictures of Dr. S's work. Although, after reading some recent posts, I'm a little scared! Thanks.

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2010

Toomuch~ Don't be scared ((hugs)) Dr. S's work is amazing.  You may not be able to get into Timtam's because of your low post count so just keep posting.  I went back 3 times but I think I look pretty darn good compared to January.