Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited October 2010

I think I ask about the drains, because I know after my mastectomy I had them for a very short time, here I am a year later, after stage 1 - weeks today and still dragging them around lol!! My patience has never been my best feature :) I know the surgeons there are the best, I trust them, and can't wait for stage 2, of course there will be pain but I know in the end it will be worth it! If I need drains again then so be it, I'll just whine then too I'm sure :)

I can't even begin to think of where all I'd want lipo so I will leave that in Dr S (the best surgeon evers hands!! Wink) I obivously want my stomach smaller and waist and hips but other than that I don't know.

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited October 2010

I could use lipo from the ear lobes down!  (Ha Ha).  Do they fix double chins?  I guess my question is what keeps the skin from sagging after lipo.   Is it not that extensive or what?  Do they just know how much to do to keep you from sagging? I know there will be pain but fortunately I have an extremely high pain threshold.  And historically I am a really quick healer.    So maybe it won't be too bad. I know it will be worth the sacrifice. 

You know, I remember a couple of years ago when I was facing the possibility of back surgery I jokingly told my friend that I had hoped my next surgery would be a boob job and a good bit of lipo. This wasn't exactly the route I had in mind. Just goes to show, that old saying is true -- "Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it!"

Dragonfly I know you are anxious to get rid of those drains. I feel for you. Hopefully it won't be much longer.  

• just4ann
    edited October 2010

And Dragonfly, I think I would ask about having them send you one of these DOM outfits.  Maybe it was just an oversight. Did they say anything about it when you went for your follow-up? I have the velcro band thing as well but I still was given the compression garment. They could overnight it to you easily enough.  Wouldn't hurt to ask.  

• Mariposa109
    Mariposa109 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2010

Springtime can you please add me to the list. I will be having BMX and DIEP on Oct 14th at Fairway with Dr.Trahan, and staying at hope lodge.

I am concerned that I haven't seen anyone else have Dr. Trahan as their primary... I'm feeling kinda nervous about that!

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited October 2010

Thank you to everyone for their responses on Stage 2.  It will really help me know what to expect in the future.  Best, heather

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited October 2010

Dragonfly~I had DIEP with Dr. S as well and no DOM outfit.  It's not needed for a DIEP.  I did have it after stage 2 because of the lipo.  I had my ab drains in for 4 weeks...YUCK!  The drains were the worst pain for me.  Way more than the DIEP!!!

As far as stage 2.  I had breast drains in over the weekend, no hip drains.  I had LOTS of lipo, and my dog ears and underarm fat excised rather than lipo'd.  I was sore, but went shopping in the Quarter on Sunday, my surgery was Friday. The key to surviving lipo is to WALK, WALK, WALK and dring a TON of water to flush your system!!! I came home and did a party that Thursday and Friday.  I also got HORRIBLY sick right with a cold/flu the day I flew home...Tuesday.  At week 3 I joined a Biggest Loser contest and was doing hard core cardio the first week, and then added weights and strength training week 4.   Could I feel the lipo areas when I jogged or jumped?  Yep.  But I was damn sure not going to have all that lipo go to waste...LOL!!!  

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2010

Welcome Mariposa!

So glad your insurance stuff worked out for you. I don't think you should be nervous at all that Dr. Trahan is your primary. He has been doing surgery under the watchful eyes of Drs. D. and S. for, like, 2 years now, I think. First, they would never have taken him into their practice if he wasn't already an excellent surgeon. And second, they would not be letting him be the primary surgeon, if they didn't have complete faith in his competence and abilities. Third, I'm certain Dr. D. or Dr. S. will be there assisting, as they always have two surgeons there for stage 1. So that's three reasons you shouldn't waste one more second being concerned!

• Latte
    Latte Member Posts: 141
    edited October 2010

hi NOLA people - I've read through a lot of pages in this thread, but not all 238 of them, so please excuse me if this has already been asked: Has anyone flown in to Nola from overseas? I am thinking of doing this, and just wondered what I need to know (I saw on their web site that they have done a lot of overseas patients). If not, then maybe someone who has flown a long distance within the US to NOLA can help with my questions?

1. How does the pre-surgery consult work if you are not in the area? Do they do it over the phone? How do they decide which surgery is suitable for you?

2. How long do you need to stay in the area for followup  after you are released? or do you leave straight after release? 

3. Is it OK to fly long distance soon after surgery (to get home)?

4. What about follow ups - can you do those with someone in your area?

anything else you can think of that is impt for out-of-towners?

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited October 2010

Mariposa, Drs DellaCroce and Trahan did my stage one seven weeks ago. Dr T saw me in the hospital and helped me with some follow up issues once I got home.  I really like him. I was a huge baby about getting my breast drains pulled in the hospital because I had a horrible experience with it after my mastectomy, and he was very nice and compassionate about it. I know this doesn't address his surgical skill, but like others have said, I trust that the other drs must feel confident with that part!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Latte - I'm sure that's much longer flight than I had of course. I flew from the West Coast (oregon) to NOLA. The flights there were 2 1/2 hours, then a connection and another 2 1/2 hour flight. On the way home it was a 2 1/2 hour one followed by a 4 1/2 hour one. I think as long as you get up and walk on the flight you'll be ok, walk up and down the isle a few times, drink lots of water, and they'll give you some compression stockings to wear. I think the blood clots are the biggest fear.

I just had my stage 1 in NOLA - I arrived on the 12th - Pre-op on the  13th and surgery on the 14th. Discharged17th. Post op the 21st and flew home the 21st. The preop and consult can all be done once you arrive in NOLA. Dr S did my consult, and pre-op in the same day. He asked me what I wanted for size, then the nurse took a bunch of pictures, he looked at those and then he did some drawings on me to determine what his plan was.

I think I covered all your questions??? I have heard of others doing it over the phone and sending in pics before hand but I didn't.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

Mariposa, welcome! I added your date, coming up fast!

Latte, I will try to answer your questions:

1. How does the pre-surgery consult work if you are not in the area? Do they do it over the phone? How do they decide which surgery is suitable for you? first you send pictures, then you are seen the day before your surgery and everything is finalized. We all do it this way. Some women make a trip there prior, but most of us do not. The US is a huge country and many of us are very far away from NOLA!

2. How long do you need to stay in the area for followup after you are released? or do you leave straight after release? You need to stay in the area for 10-11 days after stage 1. You are in the hospital for about 4 days (more or less). and you stay in the area until you come back for your post surgical exam prior to leaving. The Center has discounted rates at hotels in the area, and there is also Hope Lodge which is free. 

3. Is it OK to fly long distance soon after surgery (to get home)? You would need to ask someone at the center about this one. They do supply you with TED hose to prevent clots.

4. What about follow ups - can you do those with someone in your area? The Center likes to follow up with you via phone and keep in touch for the first few weeks. Many women also have pre-arranged to have a local doctor supportive and agree to help them if they need it. 

Hope this helps. Others please pipe in! 

• Springtime
    edited October 2010
    Mauicarol is up next!!

Oct 8 - Mauicarol - stage 2.
  • Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Springtime I'd like to say that the pictures you mention sending in may be a thing of the past??? I just had mine done, as well as 2 other ladies I met when there, none of us sent pictures in ahead of time. The pre-op there were a ton of pictures taken, and that was my first time seeing Dr S and the other way around.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Maybe so I knew I had enough to do the DIEP, and that's what I wanted, so another procedure was never discussed. Either way, yes you can do it long distance!!!

• just4ann
    edited October 2010

I never sent in any pictures.  I had my pre-op consult with Dr S over the phone about 2 weeks before my surgery date. Then he gave me his cell phone number in case I thought of any other questions.  I was scheduled for surgery on the 22nd.  I had a pre-op meeting with Stacy on the 21st and had my pictures taken then met with Lori who did the physical exam. Then the morning of the 22nd Dr S came in with my pictures telling me what he was planning,drawing on the pictures.  He asked if I was okay with his plans and I said absolutely. Then he did his marking on me so he would as he said "have something to go by" once we got into the OR.  

• just4ann
    edited October 2010

Congrats to Mauicarol and Mariposa for being up next.  Keep us informed of your progress.  I know you both will do great.  Mariposa I have only spoken with Dr T on the phone but I agree 100 percent that he would not be a part of that group unless he was at the top of his profession.  I don't think there is any way you could go wrong with any of them.  Mauicarol I am anxious to hear how Stage 2 goes.  I know it will be great but just love hearing about everyones transformation.  Travel safely.

Springtime, could you add my Stage 2 date.  I have surgery December 9th at St Charles. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Ann that's great, I'm waiting to hear from Celeste (off on leave) or Stacy to get my date! I'd love to meet you :)

Suggestions on companion person! My Mom went last time, but my girl really had a hard time with me being gone and being home with Pappa (even though she worships him) so I thought my Mom would stay home this time and asked my grandma to go. She's not comfortable though leaving my grandpa so now what? I have many friends but not sure they can take 6 days off work. I know my Dad would love to go, is stage 2 something that it would be ok to bring my Dad to? Not the same as having my Mom but....

• Latte
    Latte Member Posts: 141
    edited October 2010

thanks for the info everyone, it really helps. (if I decide to go this route, I'll ask the center all my questions, but i just wanted to get an initial idea of what is involved for long-distance patients)  :-)

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited October 2010

http://www.bracha.org.il/index_eng.asp

Late, this is the URL for those who are BRCA+ (in Israel) two friends of mine.. Freddy and Lisa Cohen are executives with the organization..I know they know people in Israel that have travelled to NOLA,please call them and tell them Marcia Fishman-Petersen referred you (Soccermom) :)

Shalom,Marcia

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2010

Marcia - I just called you...now I am going to PM you! Miss you!

• Springtime
    edited October 2010

Wow consultations with the surgeon over the phone. This is a new one on me! I knew Dr. M did them. Well! No pictures... (all that humiliation for nothing! ha!)

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

No worries springtime, there are still TONS of pictures taken at the pre-op!!! :)

• polamom
    polamom Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2013

Ok, I have my surgery with Dr. D  Wednesday and I will be at Hope Lodge all week!  Stage 1

And could you all tell me about staying at the Lodge?  I heard you have to eat downstairs.  I assume drinks in the room are ok?   Are there any resturants near?   My Dad will be with me.   I am trying to decide if we should rent a car or just stay at the lodge when we aren't being transfered by the doctors office to visits.    The idea of New Orleans traffic intimidates me.  We are from rural Kentucky. lol      What are tips for staying at the Lodge?   Near by stores/places to eat/etc?    

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2010

OK ladies this is your turn to give back to the Center and help fight Breast Cancer. Katie (who we all adore) from the CRBS is sponsoring a team in this weekends 2010 Stride Against Breast Cancer in New Orleans. I have added the link to make a donation.( cut and paste) Please be generous. Thanks.

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?company_id=139579&fr_id=28132&pg=company

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2013

Polamom - I just was at the hope lodge about 3 weeks ago for my stage 1. Keep in mind the hope lodge is FREE!!!! :) I loved it for that reason, and I loved it because I could go down and eat in my pj's, robe, drains hanging out, whatever and it's no big deal! The things I didn't care for was that only water is allowed in your room. No soda, no juice, no crackers etc... I totally understand why they do it, but some days are harder than others. It does ya good though to get up and walk down to the kitchen and get a snack or eat. We had the hope lodge people take us to Winn Dixie to get a few things to eat our 1st night there, I got one little basket of stuff for 48.00!! WOW! Then we had my surgery, one more time my Mom went with the lady at the desk to Walmart super center, she got a ton of food for like 22.00! So my advice go to walmart, lol! I believe there is not much right next to the hope lodge to walk to for food. There is Picadilly (SP?) which is a cafeteria style restaurant. Decent food, and price. Then there is Dot's diner, never tried it, heard mixed reviews. There is also a McDonalds but not sure if it's walkable?

I am hoping to go in December for stage 2, and am considering renting a car but may not since it's a shorter trip. I know with stage 1, I felt somewhat cooped up, it was so hot out and not a lot of places to walk to.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway :)

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2010

Polamom - Good luck with your upcoming surgery! Dr. D. is the best! If you haven't been to NOLA before, I hope you make sure to do some sight-seeing before surgery and maybe a little after, too. It's a beautiful and fascinating place that I'm convinced has healing properties all its own!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

ha ha, the great debate of the "best" surgeon!!

Polamom - we went to my pre-op then had a few hours to kill, and the street car stop is super close to the center. easy access to the french quarter and everything! 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2010

Okay, I guess I'm going to cave and agree that Dr. D is the best!  After all, I am booked for surgery just because I said I want it and not because he thinks that I do.  I have not been asked to send a photo to prove that I need anything done, nor have I been committed to a mental institution for being incredibly picky...so, yeah, he's the best!!!!  (Gosh, I hope he knows I'm headed his way!) 

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited October 2010

just4ann: i am at the Orlando airport waiting for flight to Nola. I see dr. D as soon as I get to the Center. I'm a bit nervous about how much I will have done. I have no idea what he is going to recommend besides stage 2 breast finising. I'll let you know how everything goes :) BTW, you will be having stage 2 on my birthday & the 1 year anniversary of my bc diagnosis.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited October 2010

Ok Min. And Sandy you know we LOVE to debate who is the best- McDreamy or McSteamy (aka my wizard)..lol...

My swelling is still going down and did I mention how much Dr S rocks ??? I wish I could have seen him when I wasn't falling asleep while talking. I kept trying to tell him Thank You but I would fall asleep in the middle of talking and knew I was doing it.

Ab ladies ? My stomach is flat looking but it has bumps in it. Does anyone else have this and will it go away. ??

After stage 2 there is no running until 4 weeks ?? I am ready to put my shoes on and go but I do not want to mess with my girls.