Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited October 2010

Jaimie - Thanks :) I think they look great, but I definitely don't want the right side mad bigger to match. It feels more me,  more like I was beore. My left feels much larger (too large?) Can they downsize it at all? It's probably just minor tweaking.Also, I know what you mean about being tired, if I had to work full time I'd be screwed. I take a nap or 2 a day at least!!

Ann - I know, I hear your pain for sure! Mine are so sore too at the site and I feel like a big baby, but like it's hindering me getting up and around and movement. I was wondering too what else I could wear to hold them in? I don't have a dom outfit. 

We can cry together :) I'm so ready to move on to the drain free, enjoying boobs and recoving phase!

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited October 2010

Drain girls: so sorry!  I def feel your pain.  It wasn't that long ago, and it felt like it took forever to be 'drain-free'.  Then! Blink!  It was over.  I went to an acupuncturist to see if she could help get my hips to close down more quickly.  I'm not sure if it was completely coincidental or not, but 3 treatments later, I was drain free! 

In terms of one of the drains not putting out anything: That happened to me twice.  One drain went from 40-50cc to virtually nothing in one day.  I was too worried to pull it, so I stripped and stripped and stripped all day, and then must have dislodged a clot or something, because the bulb filled up, all of a sudden (like 175cc or something ridiculous like that).  

Polagirl: NOLA has wifi.  It was great!

I used the OnQ black bag, to put my drains in while showering.  

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited October 2010

Bettye,

I flew Angel flights from Gulfport MS to Houston TX (to MDA)

Here is the contact info...your Onc will need to fill out a short form and its really simple.

http://angelflightse.org/

PM me if you want to chat about them!

Hugs,Marcia

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited October 2010

They called to check on me from the center this morning and told me to  pull the right drain.  Iiit had developed some pus around the exit point. It was only in there about10 inches-- not the 2 feet Dr S had told me to expect. But I was glad to be rid of it.   Then I read mchas and now I am worried.  I never thought about it being stopped up.  I have just been leaving it alone. I hope I didn't make a mistake.  I guess time will tell.  Too late to undo anything.  

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

The center has wi-fi, it's great, I think that's a huge part in healing. Staying connected via the internet with friends and family! I loved it. When I was there we used skype a lot with my family. My grandparents (75 & 85) years old were on with me one morning when they came in to do my vitals and check my blood vessels. The nurse was sweet, she said she'd come back later, I said no it's ok go ahead. My grandparents LOVED it, loved feeling like they were there with me, seeing the amazing thing they do with the doppler and listening, the nurse even turned it up for them so they could hear better. It was so great!!

As for the hope lodge, it's a blessing that's for sure! I thought for stage 2 I'd get a hotel, but I'm thinking I may just see about a rental car instead. I've heard a real mixture of the amount of pain after stage 2, what about you ladies that have had stage 2 (post DIEP) how bad is it? I mainly just want my stomach lipo done a little hip/waist. 

When we got to the hope lodge on a Sunday the wi-fi was down. I asked at the desk, they said they were having some issues. So Monday I just used the computer in the library. Tuesday was my surgery, then when I went back to the lodge on Friday afternoon, the wi-fi was back up and running!! That was such a relief! I really appreciated the wi-fi!!

I hope that answers all the questions :)

Drains, drains go away!!! Grrr 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2013

Oh Ann... I'm so jealous, I had mine before you and they're still putting out :( I wanna cry like a big baby!!  Was there any pain pulling them out? I've never experienced pain before with drain removal, but a friend did recently so I'm a bit nervous.

I am super happy for you, and hopefully soon you'll get the 2nd one out!! :) YEAH!!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited October 2010

Erika~ It is just easier for Dr. S according to him to make them smaller :).  So your stage 2 might be easier than you think.  I did Hope Lodge the first time and rented a car and it was great.  We rented thru enterprise and we got an AAA discount so it was pretty reasonable for the little car we rented. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Who knew I'd be saying smaller is good, but after a year with none a FULL C seems too much!! LOL I thought it would be easier for him so I'm happy about that :) I can't wait!!!

Thanks for the tip, typically when you rent at an airport they are way more expensive???

• just4ann
    edited October 2010

I would like to know more about what to expect with Stage 2 as well.  I am planning on scheduling for sometime in December.  I am like Dragonfly.  I have had mixed feedback. Of course,everyone is different but just in general what should we expect.  I doubt if there is one square inch on my body that wouldn't benefit from a  good dose of lipo so give me the rundown from head to toe!  

And, no it didn't hurt one bit pulling the drain.  And the site looks better already.  A lot of the swelling has gone down, the pus is gone and it is not nearly as tender as it was before.  Yeah Rah for Me!!! 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

That's great to hear Ann!!!I just emailed Katie, and Liz to get set up for stage 2, am I crazy??? :) I asked for mid December too!

I too would love some idea for stage 2 as what to expect, pain, discomfort, down time tc...

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Also I know for stage 1 a companion is required, mainly for traveling, is stage 2 the same? Coming from the West Coast it's a bit of a flight!

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2010

HI ladies!....Gosh such flashbacks!  ALL very GOOD! Things change so listen to your point people...............BUT last year I had stage 2 about 10 weeks post stage 1 and I had the DELUXE stage 2 but NO regrets. It was a sort of long hard recovery but when someone asks if you want your butt smaller and abd flatter what is the answer?  duuuuuhhh!!!!!..............  How many ties do we get the opportunity?

• plainjane64
    edited October 2010

Yes, you need assistance getting home.........as small as your issue...........you can do it at YOUR convenience!  unless you have issues........

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2010

I feel like I'm way out of touch - haven't gotten on much in the last few days...

Re: stage 2, I have had two of these - one post-DIEP and one post-SGAP. Most of the stuff that's done does not cause much pain at all - revising incisions, getting rid of dog ears, making nipples, if need be, maybe a little lipo. What adds the most to the pain/recovery is any extensive lipo. You have a lot of bruising in those areas and, of course, if feels like a bruise, too - a bad bruise. In my experience, and from what I've heard from others, lipo by your back hurts the most. I had my SGAP stage 2 at the end of July, and it is still tender to rest my hands on my hips - and I didn't even have all that much lipo. But as Plainjane says, are you really going to refuse lipo? The docs know how to sculpt your body in a way that transitions better between the new areas and old ones. Yes, there's pain afterwards, but it's definitely worth it! After my DIEP stage 2, the main discomfort was residual pain from my stage 1 (I was very tight) and then the muscle tightening I opted for. The recovery from these was just really long for me to feel so decrepit, and during our long, dark winter... My experience with drains post-stage 2's is that they weren't in nearly as long. You have to have drains pretty much whenever you have lipo, I think. For those worrying about asymmetry - try not to. The goal of stage 1 was to establish the breast mounds. Size will be addressed at stage 2. Trust these guys - they're the best in the world.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2010

I did not have alot of lipo during stage 2 .  But it hurt like crazy for a very long time.  I still have pain pretty much where ever I had Incisions & radiating beyond-6 months after stage 2.

Drains are a pain!  With stage 1 I had a drain for 9 weeks & 1 day : )  My Stitches had come out on the way home from NOLA- So I had it taped to my hip for 8 weeks.   I do think having it taped to my hip helped keep the pain down.  My 'loose' drain hurt more then my taped drain.

With stage 2  I had them for 1 week.

Polagirl-For Me- I needed someone at the hotel that could help me shower.  I also wasnt ready at that point to strip my own drains.  After  a big surgery, You might be dizzy or weak....

• mchas
    edited October 2010

I just had my Stage 2 surgery a little over a week ago.  I had lipo in my hips and back (I had SGAP originally).  Nothing done to my tummy.  I don't know how extensive it was.  I didn't have a lot to lose to begin with, but I'm tall, so I think Dr. D. went all over the place with that little suction canula, because I am sore mid-way down my back, over my hips, and 1/2 way down the backs of my legs.  Like Minn said, the revisions to the original incision lines (my breasts and hips) isn't where the pain is (although my hip incisions are tight again, so feel kinda weird).  It's bruising-type pain, so it's tolerable.  You just don't want to bump into anything or have anyone come up and pat you on the back.  It's so tender.  I sit slowly, and feel a little stiff when I walk. 

The suggestion from Anne to put a memory foam mattress pad on top of my mattress really has helped a lot!  I've slept much better the past couple of nights.  And, when my husband was out buying that, he also brought home a soft toilet seat.  It feels much better on my tushie now, when I sit down to pee!  ha!

I had my hip drains for a week afterwards.

Stage 2 grads: How long before you can squeeze yourself back into your jeans?  I live in the Northwest, and it's getting cool outside.  My kids play soccer on the weekends, so need to wear something warmer to the soccer fields than the yoga pants I've been wearing, but can't imagine having to pull jeans on now, I feel so puffy and stiff.  

Dragonfly: I felt like my worst plane flight (between back and forth for Stage 1, and same for Stage 2) was the flight home from Stage 2, so def bring somebody with you.  I know it's a long flight from our neck of the woods (nothing non-stop from Seattle).  Makes for a very long day.  The Center told me to not lift anything heavier than 10# again, so that means you'll need help with your suitcase, etc.  Plus, I still don't even like to carry my purse over my shoulder (I've hiked it up as high as I can so it doesn't bang against my hip), so help with carrying anything is nice.

• mchas
    edited October 2010

I just had my Stage 2 surgery a little over a week ago.  I had lipo in my hips and back (I had SGAP originally).  Nothing done to my tummy.  I don't know how extensive it was.  I didn't have a lot to lose to begin with, but I'm tall, so I think Dr. D. went all over the place with that little suction canula, because I am sore mid-way down my back, over my hips, and 1/2 way down the backs of my legs.  Like Minn said, the revisions to the original incision lines (my breasts and hips) isn't where the pain is (although my hip incisions are tight again, so feel kinda weird).  It's bruising-type pain, so it's tolerable.  You just don't want to bump into anything or have anyone come up and pat you on the back.  It's so tender.  I sit slowly, and feel a little stiff when I walk. 

The suggestion from Anne to put a memory foam mattress pad on top of my mattress really has helped a lot!  I've slept much better the past couple of nights.  And, when my husband was out buying that, he also brought home a soft toilet seat.  It feels much better on my tushie now, when I sit down to pee!  ha!

I had my hip drains for a week afterwards.

Stage 2 grads: How long before you can squeeze yourself back into your jeans?  I live in the Northwest, and it's getting cool outside.  My kids play soccer on the weekends, so need to wear something warmer to the soccer fields than the yoga pants I've been wearing, but can't imagine having to pull jeans on now, I feel so puffy and stiff.  

Dragonfly: I felt like my worst plane flight (between back and forth for Stage 1, and same for Stage 2) was the flight home from Stage 2, so def bring somebody with you.  I know it's a long flight from our neck of the woods (nothing non-stop from Seattle).  Makes for a very long day.  The Center told me to not lift anything heavier than 10# again, so that means you'll need help with your suitcase, etc.  Plus, I still don't even like to carry my purse over my shoulder (I've hiked it up as high as I can so it doesn't bang against my hip), so help with carrying anything is nice.

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited October 2010

Hi ladies:  I am actually a Charleston girl, but have kept an eye on the posts here and find the feedback very helpful.  I am actually going for Stage 2 in December and  it seems that the lipo can be very painful.  What can I expect with the pain level and mobility as far as small children?  I have a three year old that is very active and I think that I want to make sure not to over-do things:  like making sure that I am not alone and know that I cannot lift him, etc.  How long will I have restrictions like that after Stage 2?  Anyfeedback for me and thanks?    Heather

• mchas
    edited October 2010

My boys were quite rambunctious when they were 3 y.o. so I can imagine your situation, and it might be a little delicate with him.  Picture bruising and then having him jump on you - not so much fun.  Not the worst but not fun...

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Sounds like the lipo - stage 2 is more an all over soreness than localized to the incision area like stage 1. I know Dr S told me it would be like  a really intense muscle ache kind of like when you work out or do a lot of work on something and are really sore the next day.

I'm waiting for Katie at the center to get back to me on help with flights, so cross your fingers for me please! Since I got laid off right before stage 1, and am having to pay 444.00 for cobra money is tight. I hope that I can get some assistance with flights. I did for my stage 1, so Katie wasn't sure how that would work. 

I am hoping that with stage 2, I'll feel more like getting around to see some stuff. I was pretty whipped after stage 1. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Drains are still going strong by the way!!! LMAO :)

• just4ann
    edited October 2010

I got to pull my other drain today.  FREEDOM!!  Of course, now I have to wear the DOM outfit but even that is a major improvement.  I feel much better.  Dragonfly,I hope you get to lose yours soon!  

So as far as the Stage 2, how long are you in the hospital?  Do you have a pre-surgery consult like with Stage 1? When released from the hospital is there a follow-up and if so how many days?  I am trying to figure out how much time I am needing to allow for the entire trip.  

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2013

Ann that's awesome :) I didn't get the dom, just the big bulky velcro binder thing. Wonder if they'd send me one? I'd feel better wearing something after getting the drains out. I hate to say anything and jinx it, but they are slowing down I think??? My one was at 7.5cc this morning!

Yes there is a pre-op but not normally a post-op, although you can request one if you want. This is what I got from Katie yesterday: 

You will need to be in New Orleans for about 6 days. For stage 2 there is not a post-op appointment set up so if you would like one, that is no problem but it may make your stay a little longer depending on when you have your surgery. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

Ann, congrats on pulling drains! Yahooooooo! All will be better now, that is a major milestone. I

I think after stage 2 I was just there one night and then to hotel. No docs were avail the day before I was leaving (for post op) so Katie set me up with a nurse, and that was great. They remind you about everything and give you all the supplies you could ever need, so much so it's hard to pack up everything!

I had a lot of lipo on hips and back thighs (Dr. D said he was going to have to "hit me hard there" to make things balance) and it hurt like a mother for 3-5 days, then got better. Hurt to sit on bed, toilet was really bad! ouchie! But it passes. As Minn said, who is going to pass up the lipo you need? But it is painful, but it goes away. I still feel numb in some of those areas, not sure from lipo or GAP.

If anybody has new dates they want me to add, let me know!  

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited October 2010

Regarding stage 2, I was only suppose to be in overnight (surgery Friday discharge Saturday)  but that did not happen. First my oxegen level was low and had to where oxegen then I could not urinate so I did not get out of the hospital until tuesday in time for my flight home. I have never and I mean never gotten out of the hospital as scheduled ( even when I had my son, I got an infection) so those who are curious about stage 2 just remember  that each of us heal diferently. I have learned to book my flight at least one day after I should be ok to fly. Didn't do that once and was a no show, because it was a weekend and Katie was in, so it cost me a one way ticket. I am about 6 weeks out from stage 2 and I had alot of lipo and my back ir really sore still. Some days more than others but it hurts bad. Drains I had 2 removed at post op and the other 2 were in for 4 weeks. You will still need some help at home and especially the flight. Home all are well and will be in NOLA in a little over 3 weeks. Cant wait to see everyone

FUNDRAISER THAT I AM DOING IF ANY OTHERS ARE INTERESTED OR JUST WANT TO DONATE THANKS

On October 22nd, I will be wearing a bald cap for the entire day as a tribute to the bravery of cancer patients everywhere. In doing so, I also hope to raise lots of money to fight the disease.

So today, I'm writing to ask that you sponsor me in Be Bold, Be Bald!  As they say, every little bit counts, so whether it's ten dollars or a hundred dollars, please give what you can. To sponsor me, just follow the link below and you'll be directed to my personal participation page.  Just enter your donation amount and go from there.  It's that simple.  http://beboldbebald.kintera.org/faf/r.asp?t=4&i=428800&u=428800-307831124

Thank you in advance for helping me raise money for the fight against cancer!

PS:  In return for your generosity, I promise to send along some photos of how I look bald after October 22nd!

• plainjane64
    edited October 2010

I was in for 2 days post stage 2.  I was given a demerol and phenergan PCA for me it was a good choice stage one so I had the same anesthesiologist and he said why change what works?  Also had  pain ball- and had 4 drains so yes-I guess I had extensive!  And I had a 4 week restriction on nothing greater than 10 lbs.  Dr.  D told me when he offered plication -that w/ plicating came the 10 lb restriction.  BUT I also had my whole abd scar revised and closed-it never came completely together in the middle after stage 1 and needed to be fixed.  My second admit night was only because I was a bit too out of it and probably didn't even get out of bed until later in the day so they turned off the pca to wake me up.  black and blue-oh yes- and the sitting to go to the girls room-yes only because you have to for the first few days or so-YIKES!.  I have never experienced childbirth or a root canal however my friend Melanie who also took full advantage said this was up there.  BUT- some of the newer people are saying the new equip does not cause near the pain or bruising.  The reality is not everyone needs as much as I had. And really I didn't have to do any of it.  Don't let this stuff scare you.  Your body heals.  However I will say I was trying to follow advice of others  and walk a lot- I swelled-grapefruits at the ankles but that went away too pretty quickly. There is Soooo much fluid displaced/injected, etc. I could wear jeans that were already pretty loose probably in a couple weeks?  It took a long time but I bought smaller jeans maybe a couple mos later? 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

plainjane - you said it all! Everyone is so very different in how they heal and the pain they experience.Just comparing some of your stories to mine I see huge differences. I think for stage 2, I need to ask for better pain meds after discharge.I had percoset, and vicodin for stage 1, and even taking 2 pills they did nothing. I just like to hear other peoples experiences but also know mine could be so greatly different.

I hear stories all over the board, but is there a cut and dry answer about drains at stage 2. Is it automatic because of the lipo or is it based on scar revisions?

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited October 2010

Dragonfly - I don't think there's a cut and dry answer about your drain question for Stage 2. I had none (Hip Flap revision, breast revision, and thigh lipo) but I know others who had the exact same procedure and had drains. I know DIEP ladies who had no drains after Stage 2, and some who did. If you do have them, rest assured that they will likely be out pretty quickly, not as long at Stage 1.

Heatherbless - My Stage 2 Hip Flap left me tight, sore, and tender for about two weeks, but I didn't have any problems caring for my active 2 1/2 year-old. I was told not to lift her for a week, so I kept tiny cookies in my purse to bribe her with in case of emergency for that week.

Mchas - I''l bet in another week or two you'll be fitting back into your jeans. My swelling started to go down quite a bit at about the three week mark and it sounds like we have similar body types.

• plainjane64
    edited October 2010

I am having dejavu Wish I could go back to the page where we all were asking the same questions.  It's very individual. I honestly don't think any of us can tell you drains or no drains?  I'm pretty sure we all found out last year that we wouldn't know exactly what would be done until the pre-op.  It just sort of depends on what you have going on and what you want.  I knew what I wanted and was worried.  Don't worry(hah! do as I say not as I did!).  KNOW these guys are great plastic surgeons-and they really do know-better than us how to make us look the best and have the best outcome.....They are masters of the art and science-and when Dr D started marking me (sorry to tell this for the billionth time) but he just said, 'these are just suggestions'.  I just said"OK!  keep going".  Sally told me at preop too"This is your chance, don't hold back"....or something to that effect.

• plainjane64
    edited October 2010

I am having dejavu Wish I could go back to the page where we all were asking the same questions.  It's very individual. I honestly don't think any of us can tell you drains or no drains?  I'm pretty sure we all found out last year that we wouldn't know exactly what would be done until the pre-op.  It just sort of depends on what you have going on and what you want.  I knew what I wanted and was worried.  Don't worry(hah! do as I say not as I did!).  KNOW these guys are great plastic surgeons-and they really do know-better than us how to make us look the best and have the best outcome.....They are masters of the art and science-and when Dr D started marking me (sorry to tell this for the billionth time) but he just said, 'these are just suggestions'.  I just said"OK!  keep going".  Sally told me at preop too"This is your chance, don't hold back"....or something to that effect.