Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2010

Melinda-love that!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

Melinda! Yay! May you continue to heal and feel better and have less pain! I love the poem. And some of us have our new boobs made out of our ass, so I can even see the ending:

...I will think of you fondly as time comes to pass,

but you are less of a hazard now, transformed from my ass.

LOL 

• Springtime
    edited October 2010

Sandy and Minn and everyone, I got another call from Trish and now I am back to having an appt with Dr. D. at 3PM in the afternoon tomorrow!!! (seeing Sally at 2PM). Limo picking me up from Homewood at 1:45. See ya all soon! 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2010

Found this today... apparently the NOLA docs are suing Humana for payment:

Breast surgery center and hospital claim Humana failed to pay for reconstruction
    10/27/2010 7:55 AM By Andrea Dearden

Griffith

A New Orleans surgery center and hospital are suing an insurance provider which they claim failed to pay for breast restoration procedures for cancer patients.

The Center for Restorative Breast Surgery LLC and St. Charles Surgical Hospital filed a lawsuit against Humana Health Benefit Plan of Louisiana Inc. and Humana Health Plan Inc. on Oct. 18 in Orleans Parish District Court.

According to the lawsuit, the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery provided breast reconstruction surgery to several breast cancer patients. St. Charles Hospital provided medical services to those same patients, the suit states.

The Center claims that, prior to performing the surgeries, staff contacted Humana Health Plan and asked for a verification of reimbursement for medical procedures.

The Center says it received that verification from Humana in an "arms length transaction" and says both parties were aware of the reimbursement rates. The Center claims this verification of benefits created a contract and a promise of payment between the Center and Humana.

However, when the Center billed the insurance company for reimbursement Humana allegedly paid an amount that was substantially less than the previously agreed-upon rate. The Center says numerous appeals to Humana have gone nowhere or have been denied without proper explanation. Other times the insurance carrier deemed the surgeries to be for "cosmetic" rather than medical reasons.

The Center for Restorative Breast Surgery is suing for breach of contract is asking for more than $2.7 million in unpaid claims plus interest. St. Charles Hospital is asking for more than $120,000 plus interest.

Jacqueline G. Griffith of Metairie is the attorney representing both the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery and St. Charles Hospital.

Orleans Parish District Court Case No. 10-10649

• Springtime
    edited October 2010

Wow, that is something!! I am glad they are taking them to court.

All, I just added the following to the list above!

Nov 3 - Longj72 - DIEP stage 1 at NOLA with Dr. M.  

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2013

And with insurance companies like them, how can we wonder why they may ask for some money up front?

Can't wait to see you all. Set of a tweak on Tuesday. Oh MY. Well, one thing is for sure - I pulled up a pic of my prior boob (my real original, born with boob) to look at nipple/areola colors. I have to say with my new 34D's I am no longer part of the Itty Bitty Titty Committee! I was really small!

• Springtime
    edited October 2010

HA!!! Go Nordy... 

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2010

Springtime,

I tease now that since I had both ass and stomach I don't know if I am coming or going.  Oh there are so many funny jokes that have come out of this.  It really has helped with the healing. 

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited October 2010

Good one Melinda.  I told my 17 y.o. son the other day, when he was asking questions about my breasts (feeling, etc.), that if he ever walked in on me getting dressed now, and saw me naked, he wouldn't have to go to therapy about seeing his moms boobs - 'cuz they're really my ass!  (and we've all seen each others naked tushies - no biggie!)  I agree "laughter IS the best medicine"!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited October 2010

Question.... My left side was the diseased side and the radiated side, and it had a horrible time healing from everything, plus minor LE. The PT today said I have a lot of fibrocis (sp???) skin on that side right around the incision. I wanted the left side reduced to match my new right one. How do they do this? Can they take any of the skin/tissue along the incision when reducing it?

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2010

Just want to take a moment to thank everyone who has contributed by posting their experiences / concerns / humor on this forum.  Thanks to you, I have resolved my PROBLEM and have found my SOLUTION.  No longer do I feel isolated and alone.  Together we are getting through this.  Together we are strong.

Laurie from Washington

• Springtime
    edited October 2010

Dragon, I don't know the answer to that one, you'd have to ask one of the docs. Do you know about the "ask the doctor" site?  That sounds like a good question to post there... (Dr. D monitors it and answers questions).

Laurie, Humans are such social creatures. You are right, everything you do alone is harder than what you do with others. The ladies here are very generous and wonderful. Pay it forward! :)

Spring.

Melinda, LOL LOL, I don't know if I am coming or going either then!!!  

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2010

Ladies - I cannot believe that this tweak thing is coming together so fast. Right now I feel like I am flying by the seat of my pants - and, well, I am just not a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl! And since we are talking about the seat of our pants in relation to boobs - I just thought of another one you can use. People always state that it is great that I got a "boob job" (uh, hello... well, whatever), because my "boobs will never sag". I always explain to them that since my breasts are made out of my tissue, they will indeed sag when I sag. Then I tell them that since my boobs came from my butt, they will just be trying to find their way home!

• Springtime
    edited October 2010

ha!! good one Nordy!! Boobs singing to butt, "Reunited...and it feels so good!". 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

I'll just wait, it's no big deal. I'll talk to Dr S when I get there, he's my surgeon. I was just thinking someone else had experienced this as well and could give me an idea as to what to expect.

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited October 2010

Hi Ladies,

I was over 20 pages behind when I logged in yesterday. Life has been pretty hectice and I just have not kept up. I wish I was joining all of you gals in NOLA this weekend. It sounds like you are going to have a great time !

Melinda, I love your Ode to my Boobs. I had implants too and I hated them. The pain was terrible. A few weeks after my implants were placed I got a serious staph infection in the left side and it had to be removed. Then the right side started sliding downward. I knew I would never do TE's and Impalnts again, so that is when I started looking seriously at DIEP and I found this site. Thank God for these doctors. I love my boobs. I was so surprised at how good I felt after just 4 weeks. The surgery was major but my body was so glad to be rid of the foreign implants, that it healed quickly and a lot of my issues with swelling in my arms went away.

Stage 2 is scheduled for 11/11. DH and I will be staying at Hope Lodge. We are flying in on 11/8 and plan do a swamp tour and see the cathedral. I am looking forward to meeting the gals who will be there at the same time as I am.

I just got notification yesterday that next year my insurance is going to be changed from Cigna to Aetna . I am worried that Dr S will not be able to complete my reconstruction during Stage 2 and that I will have to go back. My boobs need to be lifted a bit, the right boob needs to be enlarged and I hope to have nipples added at that time. I am also going to have my ovaries removed by Dr Von Aleman and hope to have ab plication done. That seems like a lot but I am going to try to get everything done before I have to meet all of my out of pocket expense again next year.

Has anyone had Aetna PPO insurance during this process? How do they pay?

• polamom
    polamom Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010

Hey Ladies I've been home one full week now...14 days post surgery (stage 1).   I'm doing well.  I had Dr. D and Dr. Stolier.  Loved them both and have been really pleased.  I ended up with a nipple sparing mastectomy and it looks so 'real'. lol  The nipple still responds to cold, even thought it is all numb.  I have no pain from the breast or stomach.  My pain is from the nodes that were removed.  I had to have 12 removed.  My arm is sore but that is all.    I'm so grateful I didn't have to undergo surgery that would have sacrificed muscle from somewhere else in my body.  I'm sure that surgery would have taken much longer to recouperate from.   

Best wishes to all the ladies waiting surgery.  

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited August 2013

Laurie:  Dr Lagarde did my BMX June 30th . She did a great job!

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2010

Thank you Mauicarol,

Glad to hear you like her.  Heard from others as well, with the same story. Makes me less nervous about surgery. 

Good night my friends.

Laurie

• Oddball1
    Oddball1 Member Posts: 44
    edited October 2010

Hi Everyone...

My screen name is on my door and you have my information.  Today I had my surgery and it went really well--7 hour hip flap procedure.   Loving my results already and feel so incredibly blessed!!  Look me up or call if you are here.  We are staying at th Ritz after I get out.  I liked it so much I wanted to stay there the whole time;.  So plans are NOT Homewood Suites, but staying at The Ritz.  Come by and see me or call me.  I am looking for you K9Kim...I am in Room 206.  Will be here until Friday, the 29th.  Where are you??

• plainjane64
    edited October 2010

Oddball!  Look at you posting the same day as surgery...You are awesome!  BUt if you don't remember we'll remind you tommorrow and the next day!  WELCOME to the other side of stage 1!  woo hoo!  OMG I am pretty sure I slept the first 24 hrs almost continuous following stage 1 and 2 but I had to jump thru hoops prior.....AND I am somewhat of a lightweight and my anesthesia/pain control was great.  OK getting back to packing so I can get up at 4 or 5 am!  see many of you soon!  goodnight!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2010

Sorry I will miss you Halloween girls, hope ya'll have a blast! For those there the 1st week of November....hope to see you!  I have preop appt on 4th, Stage 2 on 5th, and Post Op on 8th. Will definitely have my name on the door the one night I am there, and will try to check who is there when I come for Preop on 4th...  A little nervous to have "righty" cut on again, but ready to finish this up!  Prayers for us all!

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2010

Dagnoz13, When I had my "Ken Thing" going on after surgery I kept singing that hip hop song My Hump.  Just could not get that out of my mind.  My sister and I laughed way to hard especially since I was doing good to get myself out of bed.  I thought I times we were going to get in trouble by the nurses. LOL  I don't know all the words but it just seem so perfect. 

My swelling did go down in a couple of weeks.

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2010

I need to take a new picture - cut my hair and had the color "corrected" to match my ever darkening roots.  I was a blonde but in a very short period of time I have turned med. brown - WTH!  Anyway, figured it will be a while before I will want to do any major styling, etc. so wanted something easy.

Gin52 - Come see me on the 4th!  I'm there until discharge on 6th.

Longi72 - I'm 1 day ahead of you with Dr. M.  We'll have to find each other!

Jeskachi - I have Humana so this story scares me soo.

Melinda - Love the Ode!  Glad you are better.  Your post really hit home as I am dealing with implant pain/discomfort and praying that this surgery will help me return to some sense of my previous life.

Sheridangirl - Thanks for sharing your implant story as well.  It gives me hope!!

Praying that I don't need to learn the words to "My Hump"....lol

Oddball - WOW!  How on earth are you able to post after surgery?? Hope you are feeling even better today.

Nordy - Are you having your tweek done 11/2 with Dr. S??  Guess we will be sharing him!

I'm sure I missed someone but things are moving fast on this thread so please forgive me!  Wish I could be there for the dinner - y'all have fun!

• Springtime
    edited October 2010

Hi all - from NOLA! We arrived on time and are at the hotel. 

PJ (Plain Jane) texted me that she got to the airport too late to check her bad, an could not throw away all her liquids (which included a $60.00 eye cream!) so she isn't coming to do the half marathon. That leaves Nordy!

For all of you in NOLA - Sandy made a reservation at Zea's for 7PM tonight. They will not seat us until 75% are there, and there is an 18% gratuity included. if there are more than 17, they will not split the check, and we'll have to handle that ourselves...should not be a problem, we can do math!! Hope to see a bunch of you there tonight!

Hotel issues: So we were dropped off at the Homewood Suites by our favorite driver, Glenn. Well, the front desk (check in) told us we did not have a reservation for tonight - and that they were sold out! After calling the center, and the center calling the general manager, and some explorations, they discovered that the Homewood was at fault. In the mean time, we checked into the LePavillion Hotel (right next door) - which is not as nice (to us) as the Homewood. Well, then we were out having lunch and the Center called and told us the Homewood General Manager would call us to appologize and that they will pay for our night at the LePavillion! So all worked out well in the end.

I have a 2PM appt with Sally at the hospital, and 3PM (or whenever) with Dr D. See some of you over there!

Spring. 

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2010

Hi everyone! This Liz and I have been at the Hospital for one week. I had stage 1 SGAP and had some complications from it so had a DIEP as well. Not sure if I am coming or going but am feeling a little better today. I walked the halls with my hubby a while ago and saw signs for Oddball and K9. Hope you girls are doing well. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to Zeas tonight. Not sure when we will be heading to the hotel. Our flights have been rebooked for next Wed. 

Hope I can meet some of you before we leave. I am in room 209. Take care.

• plainjane64
    edited October 2010

Uggh So embarressed and disgusted w/ myself.  Plainjane is waay too high maintenance.

Decided "hey I WILL check a bag!" then the whole Obagi line -in original containers- go ahead and throw in the the new 50 dollar eye cream I paid 42 for(UTSW on campus discount) all costly but lasts 6 mos, and somehow I still ended up w/ 2 carry ons- a pretty big purse that had a few gifts in it and a small laptop and book in the other.  The woman says "well you can either throw away your liquids and gels and carry it on"(she couldn't see my other 2 bags) over the counter or there are 2 seats on the 1150am flight but you'll need to pay an extra 689 dollars. Prior to this the self serve baggage ticket thingie would not work....must have spent 10 minutes then when someone finally helped me and said "Oh you missed the one hour deadline to check a bag".

So my head was spinning w/ how much money I'd be literally 'throwing away' no matter which option.  Initially she told me I had non refundable tickets-then I pointed out when I purchased thru aavacations I'd purchased the travel ins.  She had me call them and they said I should have been able to do standby on the next one and that lady totally understood I didn't want to throw away so I get a full refund when I mail back the documents.  Ran home literally 2 exits away, to see if a last minute pkge still existed;  Choices; flight and stay in Houma for 1200 or basically my same pkge for 2000ish.  I paid about 600. Southwest had absolutely NO flights to nola today or tommorrow from love.

Very disappointed, and embarressed.  Glad I bought insurance but will certainly not be cutting it so close timewise in the future . 

I'm so sorry to miss have been looking forward to this since summertime-heck since last year?

Nola is definitely the hot ticket this wkend.  But I guess I'll watch some baseball, buy some smaller containers, and plan better for next time.  They really do mean 90 minutes.

Have fun, fun ,fun.

Thanks for listening to my sad story-moving forward now-off to find some fun in DFW-baseball party.....

GO NORDY! and take pics ladies

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Anyone down there seen or talked to K9Kim? She had her surgery yesterday and I hadn't heard from her so I thought I'd check :)

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2010

plainjane64  I am so sorry!!  So you have to be there 1hour in advance to check a bag?  Will have to remember that.  I understand, I sure wouldn't want to throw out all my stuff!!  Wow, again, so sorry!!

Journey I will definitely try to see you on the 4th!  Luck and prayers with ya, and will all those coming up!

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited August 2013

Oh, Xfit:  You poor thing!  I hope you heal quickly!  I am an hour away from Naples. PM me when you get home if you would like meet for lunch or just a visit.

Plane Jane :  I hate it when that happens! It stinks that you will miss being there with everyone.  I am bummed that I won't be there either.  In my case it was all about timing of my stage 2.  I am sure they are having a great time!