Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited October 2010

Nordy- I hope you are doing well ;).

My son who is 5 wuves my new pillwoos as he says as we cuddle. I only had implants for a short time but I was never comfortable.

I went bras shopping the other day and my only isse now is to find a bra that brings the girls closer for the clevage ;).

Pam- I hope you are having fun and try not to stress about what Dr D. ((Hugs))

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2010

It was so nice to meet several of you today and hang out in our "dorm". This wouldn't have happened if I haden't have had my little "complication" as we would have left NOLA days ago. I truly believe everything happens for a reason and I am grateful for todays opportunity and excited to see what the future holds for all of us involved in helping NOLA grow . The CNN report I took part in should air Nov 22 at 9 or 10am. I will let you all know when the date and time is definite. Elizabeth Cohen is the Head Medical Reporter. She interviewed me about my surgery and the camera crew did some filming in the OR also. 

I am thrilled to leave NOLA this afternoon with my new boobs. I can't help but to look down at myself and feel "normal" again. Seeing some of you after stage 2 makes me look forward to an even better bod at the end of all this.

We will be spending Halloween in the French Quarter. Can't wait to experience that!

To those of you traveling back home soon, have a safe trip and please keep in touch. 

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited August 2013

checking in from NOLA.  It crazy busy with everything going on here this weekend.  We had a very Nice Dinner at Zeas Thursday.  It was nice to get to see Sandy again- I meet her a year ago the morning after my stage 1 & was pretty out of it.  This time I meet Nordy, Springtime & Alaina.  I already know Minnesota : )

Jennifer-Iim sorry your trip got all messed up : (

We are at the Clarion so the 1/2 Marathon was right on our street.  I had only been up for a few minutes & realized it had already started. I stepped out on my porch still in my nightgown & there was Nordy running by!  We stayed out & watched for her running on the way back.  I even got a Picture Sheri : )  Great going!

We then walked up to the Center to visit everyone.  A party going on in xfitsgirls suite.  Was nice to meet you Liz.  Got to visit with Spring, Sandy & Minn.  They all had to go back to their rooms so the nurse could check on them.

I then got to meet K9Kim.  She was doing so much better then the day before.  I was happy to see that.  It was great to meet her.

I missd Oddball- She had checked out early in the morning.

We then walked to the  River walk & shopped some.  Had Pizza in the French Qt & took the streetcar back to the Hotel.  Walked almost 4 miles. 

Time to rest before the Halloween Parade.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited October 2010

How blessed are we all that we have this place that has been able to connect so many of us from all over??  Pretty damn blessed if you ask me.  Much love.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

I agree. I feel so very fortunate, not only for the skilled surgeons and the great care, and the fantastic results, but also for the sisterhood. We are not alone! 

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2010
    can any of you nola vets tell me if I need to tip
     the limo driver??
  • Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2010
    LongJ72  Stage One was not as bad as I expected in some ways.  I personally had a lot of issues with my BC side, but it was due to having such bad burns from rads back in 2001.  The skin on that side just did not want to heal. It has been a long haul, and two trips back for additional surgeries, but my story is not the norm!  Most of the ladies here make it through just fine.  Pain is not much of an issue due to the "pain ball" you get.  As others have said - lots of water, and walk as much as possible.  Several of the girls with diep had issues standing up straight, but I didn't notice that as much.  Just relax and you will do fine!  And there are lots of knowledgeable ladies here that will be happy to help.  Look forward to seeing you there!
  • macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2010

Jenifer

When are you going to Italy? I am leaving next Friday for Europe. I will be in Spain and Italy, perhaps we can meet?????

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited August 2013

Greetings

I haven't posted for a while. Was busy traiining for the 3-day 60 mile Susan G Komen for the Cure walk--and I walked every last mile! Question for those who are post surgery. Has anyone had problems with internal scar tissue at the donor site? I've had ongoing probems with my left buttock area and wanted to give it plenty of time to heal. It has been 10 months. I think I finally have a dx---now i need to figure out what to do about it.

Feel free to contact me thru PM if you have had this issue as well.

Thanks.

Margit

movesolver@aol.com

• Springtime
    edited October 2010

Hi All, we are back HOME! Was just thinking I need to turn on the Saints/Steelers game -- WHO DAT?

Sandy and Eve also left the hospital yesterday, apparently, Sandy reported Eve was in a costume! (I guess she was feeling pretty good!). Sandy wanted me to tell you that she is "doing fine, got the works and laying low". 

Compression Garment: I was given the old "DOM" in the hospital, Eve had the new one. Not sure what other ladies had. When I got back to my hotel, I put on the Marina one I purchased on eBay, and I have to say, THIS THING ROCKS. The other one, the DOM feels like it hurts my skin, and this one, while very tight (!!) is soft and smooth and less irritating on the skin.  I gave teh packaging from my Marina garment, and part of the garment I cut off (it had really loooong legs, below knee) to Yvette, nurse in hospital, and she said she would pass it on. I hope this helps the situation...

Journey, we always tip our driver too. Just FYI. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2013

Hi All! Just a quick note before my husband flips out that I am on the computer and not in bed! (yes, I know it is only 10:15 in NOLA and it is Halloween - we should be out... But really this is not my cup of tea anymore... maybe 15 years ago... !) Anyway, the run was GOOD! My official race time was 2 hours 19 minutes and 59 seconds. I was going to be content with less than 3 hours... less then 2 and a half...YES, I am ecstatic! AND tired. AND don't feel so hot today. I have been drinking like crazy and drank at every water stop during the race and I still don't feel back to normal. I am still a little shakey, slightly dizzy and somewhat nauseated today. I am sure in a few more days I will be looking to run again though... crazy.

It has been awesome seeing everyone. Thanks Pam for cheering me on! Bev - I think it was your husband I saw in the window of your room on the run out??? I know for sure it wasn't Gary!

I had pre-op stuff on Friday - but have not been feeling 100% confident that I want this minor procedure. I have been looking at my boobs more intently then ever and think if Dr. S brings the fold up any, it will make them lopsided as that side is a little smaller so is more easily lifted in a bra. AND I don't think I really need this. I think if I go ahead with any revision, I want to be able to have some fat grafted into that breast as it is a teeny bit smaller than the other one... BUT, you know, I really am happy with the way things are. I am planning on my tattoos on Tuesday (Yes, Sue, I will talk to you later about it... LOL) and looking forward to being all done. Hopefully I can meet with Dr. S just to get his take on the way things look - but he told Celeste that the pics I sent look really good. Anyway, they are going to think I am crazy over there... I am not. BUT, like I said, I am not a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl... I need time to make decisions and I am glad I had the weekend to mull things over!

Signing out for now from crazy NOLA (I just saw a guy in my hotel lounge dressed in some kind of white outfit with a blue penis hanging out... seriously! LOL)

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited November 2010

Spring, What Marina garment did you get?

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited November 2010

Tipping - of course it's always optional.  At first, we tipped them all.  Then, we asked about it and were told that the Center also tips them.  So, if you do not tip them, it is ok.  So, truly optional. 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited November 2010

Thanks Kcshreve, I didn't even think about tipping them honestly. So many other things on my mind, then read this here and felt awful!!

• Springtime
    edited November 2010

Nordy, CONGRATULATIONS!! That is a fantastic time!!! You sound so pleased, and here's hoping your body recovers. Maybe a consultation with Dr. S. is the thing you need now, and more time to mull things over. Share with him your concerns, get his take. We are all so proud of your run girl!!

Marina garment ROCKS! Not only is it more comfortable, it allows more MOVEMENT!! I think part of the recovery I hate most is you get so friggin stiff in the DOM. But with this one, I did knees to chest today in bed and am going to try some gentle yoga later today. As mentionned before, I got mine on ebay (2 ladies posted here and recommended) for 19.99 plust 4 shipping (it lists for over 100) it is a "stage 1 - or first 2 weeks after lipo garment. It has zippers on each side. There is very limited offered on eBay - so I just chose one that was "large" (they have very teeny and very large sizes, and not so many in the mid ranges!) Mine had legs that went below knee (I cut that part off) and goes up under breasts. I cut off the "straps" that it had that go over your shoulders. Hope this helps! 

I am grateful  to the lades that clued us into the Marina garments. THis recovery is going to be so much more doable without that DOM. I hardly look like I had surgery in my street clothes. you just move more naturally!! 

• Springtime
    edited November 2010

Nordy, I will ask Richard if he was "in the window". We (Sandy, Eve and me) sat there for hours waiting for you, but I think you were too fast and we missed you!!! 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Springtime, I'm jealous, I'm heading down in a couple weeks for stage 2. I'd love to have the marena outfit, have been watching ebay often. So far just S and M sizes :(

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2010

Spring: I'm so glad you like it! I've been wearing mine for going on 7 weeks now, and I'm not dying to get out of it.  I may actually wear it the full 3 months my dr wants me to. The "stage 2" garments (no zippers) are even more comfortable!

You can also find discounted "opened" Marena garments on makemeheal.com  They have a better selection of discounted garments than the Marena ebay store does. I think opened products are returned unworn products, which is probably what's being sold on ebay as well.

But... I paid full price for 2 of my 3 garments (about $100 each), directly from marenagroup.com. They've more than earned their keep.

• Springtime
    edited November 2010

Jeskachl, thanks for another tip! I will check out makemeheal.com and see if I can find a stage 2 in my size... 

Dragonfly, I hope you can find something. Just a thought, I think I might have been fine in a garment without zippers, because the lipo was much lighter than last time, I guess there is no way to know, though, ahead of time...

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited November 2010

Nordy-YOU GO!  your time is awesome...but you've been doing all the other stuff and training at altitiude.....so nevermind...KIDDING!  VERY cool!  Curious to know how you feel about things tomorrow after a chat w/ Dr S.

I wanted to let evryone know I rec'd my obagi travel kit today(didn't know it existed before a couple days ago) but........

I was so productive the past few days it's not even funny. 

Returned to work this am and faced 'the girls at work who KNEW ALL about this wkend and all was SO cool! YET...when I started explaining- almost all said....they'd have not pitched the products either......esp whilst visiting your friends w/ the same plastic surgeon?

Stephanie we leave 11/18, fly overnight thru heathrow and to Rome then train to Florence and therabouts until Monday when we go back to Rome...I'd LOVE to hook up ESP w/ another american for T-giving!  We head back 11/26 rome to heathrow....send me a pm or FB mssge if this sounds anywhere near our paths crossing?  Very very excited!

We're having BC awareness day this fri-one co worker doing the 3 day.  Would SO love to wear the construction zone T but think it will be the fleur de lis ribbon T.........

Off to bed.  Rangers congrats on first EVER world series.  Giants congrast on being the better team.  All is well!

good thoughts and prayers to all!

• Oddball1
    Oddball1 Member Posts: 44
    edited November 2010

Hi Ladies~

I had my surgery on October 26th.  I had a Stage I prophylactic surgery.  I have been adjusting to my new boobs.  I barely had any before so this is quite a change for me.  Now I know why they call it a bust.  I am busting at the seams.  Literally. So much so that I had some skin fail and will have another operation in the morning to remove it.  Not sure exactly why this happened, but I do like the results thus far and hope this won't change things too much.  I have faith in Dr S!!  This is where I am for now....I have been walking around, up and alert.  I have more energy than expected.  I have more questions for you all later, but for now, I need to get to bed since my surgery is at 7 am.  Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.  Thank you!!!!!  Congrats Nordy on your race. And, Minnesota-tried calling you a few times without success...Nordy...lost your number....guess I was out of it.  Just felt a little overwhelmed and had not logged in until now...but did want to say hi and let you know that I am thinking of you all. And, yes, we are blessed to have each other!!!!  XXOOXX  Kim, I hope all is well....  Thinking of you!!!!

Oddball 

• Oddball1
    edited November 2010

Dejaboo and Journey--will be praying for you for tomorrow!!!  Best Wishes.

Oddball 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited November 2010

Big day for our girls!! Best of luck to all of you who are getting procedures today. (And way to go, Nordy on your personal best on the half!!! You amaze me!)

Anne

• Oddball1
    edited November 2010

Hi there...

Thinking of those in surgery right now.  Hope all is well and you recover quickly.

Dr. S decided we should wait until later to remove skin.  We will keep an eye on it for now.  He did my post-op while I was there and all is good.  Promised the issue could be addressed in Stage 2. 

So...looks like I get to head on home until my Stage 2.

The care at the hospital was really wonderful.  All of the nurses that cared for me were awesome and I felt like I was the center of attention there....beautiful facility.  Nice to have my hubby there!!

Dr. S gave me a little pep talk this morning and I feel good about my decision.  He reminded me why I signed up for this.  It is all for my own good.....just a big surgery.  I will get stronger every day.  I am sure the soreness will subside and every day will get better and better.

Thankful for an overall positive experience.  Can't wait to show off my new figure to my friends at home. 

Oddball 

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited November 2010

Hi Girls!!

I haven't been here in a long time! A LOT of catching up to do! Good Luck to Pam, Nordy, and Journey today!  I had my stage 2 back in March and have needed some 'tweaks' ever since, so I am thinking about going back to NOLA for stage 3 (I guess that is what it is called?) and to get my tattoo hopefully in January. I am waiting until my hubby gets vacation time again before I can go.

• Springtime
    edited August 2013

As was stated by many above, Pam and Journey, we are thinking about you today! Pls check in when you can to let us know how you are...

Below is a listing for this week. A lot going on for our board!

Oddball, you will be A-okay, and you totally made the right decision. If you find you don't like being BUSTy, Dr. S can reduce you in stage 2. Or later. A few of us just had "Stage 2B" so you can keep going back until you feel just right. No worries!

Nordy,do report in on the tattoo!!! I get mine in December! I will then be an offical "NOLA Graduate". Apparently, this is a term!

I am feeling good from my 2B last Friday. We flew home Sunday and I took Monday off from work. I'm back at it today. (I work at home.) No narcotics needed! Just Tylenol to take the edge off. Just a bit sore. That Dr. D. He always "goes for it" and does more than I expect, in a good way. Richard said to Dr. D. after watching him mark me all over with his blue marker, "It's like watching an artist at work!"

Here's our girls!!!:

Nov 2 - Dejaboo - Stage 2B, NOLA.

Nov 2 - Nordy - Tattoos with Donn.

Nov 2 - Journey - Stage 1 SGap with Dr. Massey and Dr. S. assisting.

Nov 3 - Longj72 - DIEP stage 1 at NOLA with Dr. M.

Nov 4 - kcshreve - Stage 2b,lower abdominal hernia repair,lipo, belly button modification, SCSH, Dr. S.

Nov 5 - Gin52 - Stage 2 @ 11:00am if everything goes well.

• Oddball1
    edited November 2010
    Springtime-  I think I will love being busty.....I am for sure going to get that T-shirt.  "I got busted in New Orleans"....need to find out how to order. Smile  But, yes, good to know they keep working with you until you feel just right.  I am very pleased with how I look so far.  Thanks for the reassurance.
  • Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2010

Hi ladies!

I went in for my post-op appt today and was given the ok to go home.  Woo, hoo! We flew to NOLA on Oct 19th so we are more than ready to go home and return to some kind of normalcy again. My breasts are healing well and both SGAP and DIEP incisions are too. I am down to 3 drains (I had 5) and was given a DOM one size larger which feels MUCH better! The other one was just way to tight. Everyone at the Center has been wonderful! The Dr's, nurses and staff are all amazing people as you know and took excellent care of us. We stayed in one of the most beautiful suites in the Hospital and Chef and his staff made sure we were well fed and taken care of.

I had the pleasure of meeting Nordy today after my appt. We did some "show and tell" and to see what I have to look forward to after all this healing is just great! Nordy, thank you so much. You look 10 years younger and your bod is awesome! 

Oddball - Glad to hear all is well with you. It was nice to meet you and I wish you well with your new improved sista's :)

Springtime - I got your FB message. I was not triple negative. Don't worry, I understand the drug thing. I am still trying to piece together what has happened to me in the past two weeks. Check out my signature for my full dx. Glad to hear you are home and doing well.

Minnesota - We stayed in a hotel at the French Quarter over the weekend. Craaaaaaazy!!! I wasn't well enough to go out but saw and heard plenty from our hotel window. I hope you had a great time! 

The car will pick us up at 6:30am. I hope airport security isn't too ridiculous.  We have a wheelchair booked and I have my letter from the Center. 

My birthday is on Jan 7. Lipo and nipples for my b/day? Whoop, whoop!

Take care everyone! 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Beth - So awesome you're going home, you will do so much better once you're in your own enviroment. Even though you're right the center is amazing, the docs, the nurses and everything else!!

I had no problems at the airport. They just had me go behind a curtain so they could see that the drains went in etc.. They were really nice about it, and it was 2 lady employees. They even let me take my big surgical cup full of ice water through security with me! You'll do great :)

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2010

Liz, so glad to hear that you're doing so well!  It was wonderful to meet you and I was so impressed by your gratitude despite the bump in the road!  I think you have the perfect birthday present in mind!

Dr. D told me that they are using a new variety of lipo that acts more like a pressure washer and uses water to flush out fat cells.  He said it's less painful, and he was correct in that.  I only took a couple of Vicodin after leaving the hospital, mainly so I could get a night of uninterrupted sleep.  As always, I walked away with many more gifts than I'd bargained for.  It reminded me of our neighbors who added onto their house several years ago and the phrase they became noted for, "If we're going to all this trouble, might as well_______(do this too/spend more on this too/etc".  I have long wanted a persistent little bugger of a pucker at the top of one areola tattoo removed and figured if I was going to be under anesthesia, might as well have other stuff done too.   I had decided to ask Dr. D if he would pinch an inch of excess skin above and below my ab incision, but he actually did another tummy tuck on me and now the off-center belly button I was plagued with for 3.5 years thanks to my first surgeon is gone, and has been replaced by a new one, nicely centered!!!  He did a lot of lipo for me, but honestly, it doesn't feel like much at all.  I'm barely bruised too--he mentioned that there would be less bruising and was right about that as well.   He and my DH apparently agreed while I was in recovery that I'm done, and I believe I am!!  Getting rid of the defects that have been reminders of my awful first surgeon ended up being important to me emotionally, and I think I'll finally be able to look in the mirror and not criticize myself for making the mistake of choosing him back when I was diagnosed and chose BLM and DIEP.  I'll get my tattoos redone within the next couple of months and I can't wait to see my final outcome. 

While Spring, Minn and I were having our pre-ops, my DH had a consult with SCSH's hernia surgeon, Dr. Treen.   DH loved him, and although I only met Dr. Treen very briefly, he impressed me as being very kind and caring, so we are going back to NOLA in a few weeks!  I told Dr. D it's sad, but I feel safe there and I don't feel safe at home anymore, after all of the bad stuff that happened to me in the hospital here.  Dr. Treen's father was the governor of Louisiana and was regarded very highly as being a very morally upright person.  We both feel really good about doing the hernia repair at SCSH and we will get to see NOLA all dressed up for Christmas too!

We got home at midnight last night after a very rough flight due to bad weather across LA and TX, but I went to work for about three hours today. I'm pretty wiped out now and plan to take a nap now.  Hope to hear that Kim is out of the hospital very soon--it was hard to leave her there, as she was the last one left when I was discharged Saturday night.    I wore a tee and a hoodie through security yesterday and handed them my hospital letter before proceedng through the sensor.  A couple of TSA agents conferred and agreed that I could leave my jacket on and that they did not need to pat me down once they read and observed that I had drains.  They were really friendly, so I don't think you should have any problems at all, Liz.  Have a safe and smooth flight home! 

It was great fun spending time with everyone, and meeting those I hadn't met in person before, and I'll post more later!