Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited December 2010

Good Luck on Thursday Mamaluch.

Tell Dr D the 'Other Minnesotan' says Hi too : )

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2010

Thanks Degaboo- I will say hello from the Minnesota cheering section!

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2010

Good luck to all that are having surgery this week.  Can't wait to hear how it goes with Stage 2.  Mine is coming up fast and I can't get into the Christmas swing for some reason. 

Would someone be kind enough to give me a list of what I need to get for this stage.  I know different things are mentioned but with my fussy brain I can't remember which were for Stage 2.

• Dejaboo
    edited December 2010

Sounds good Mamaluch.

Ok- I just went & pulled out all Visable Stitches. 1 on each hip & 3 in the breast area.  I still have the 2 Burried in each Breast.  I can feel the tip of one- But could not get it with a tweezer.

Melinda- I used Arnica Gel & the Arnica pellets after my Stage twos.

I wore Spanx the 1st time after the Dom outfit- whichIi wore for 2 weeks the 1st time.

This time-2B I just wore the Dom outfit for almost 4 weeks.  I wear my spanx here & there now.

If you are having Nips done you will want Loose Tops.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited December 2010

Melinda - what do you mean need to get for this stage? I'll tell you, it was by far easier for me than stage 1, but stage 1 wasn't all that bad actually. For stage 2 trip I hardly packed anything. I knew what I could and would wear. I took a pair of pj's, lounge pants (long & capri) a couple t shirts and zip up sweatshirt. I wore flip flops and took tennis shoes that's about it. I took the arnica (???) before and after surgery to help reduce swelling & bruising as many others on here have suggested. I think it really helped as I had almost no bruising!

Good luck, you're going to do awesome and LOVE the results :)

• melindastn
    edited December 2010

Dejaboo, Which Spanx did you wear after two.  I have been wearing the high waisted ones since Stage 1.  Will I need the ones that go down to the knees?  When do I need to start taking the Arnica?  I did not take it until after Stage .

Dragonfly,  My Stage 1 was a real monster.  3-7 weeks were the worse.  I am now feeling like myself again.  I hope Stage 2 is not as difficult.  I still have my nipples from the implant reconstruction so maybe I won't have to be cut too much this time.  I am so happy with the way my breast look now compared to the implants from hell.  I just can't imagine how great they will look after this go around.  Were you able to do much when you got out of the hospital?  I did manage to take some short walks last time but I must say it was not fun.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2010

Fourboy, I added your specs to the listing above. 

Pam, try again next week? I just keep going at these areas. I hate those friggin things! I think they are supposed to "melt" away, aren't they? You hang in there.  

Good luck to Mama and Betty tomorrow!!! HOTBUTT is on Weds... All Dr. D ladies!!

Dec 2 - mamaluch - Stage 2 Dr. D., NOLA.Dec 2 - BettyeE - Dec. 2, Dr. D. SCSH, Stage 2. NOLA.Dec 3 (her son's birthday!!), - HoltBolt - Stage 2B (revisions)  Dr. D., St. Charles Surgical. 
  • Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

Melinda - I'll pm you

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

I don't even see any of my stitches, are you guys just referring to nipple ones?

• mamaluch
    edited December 2010

Thanks Springtime-I hope to meet Bettye and Holtbolt-please put name on door.

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2010

Mamaluch, Betty, Holtbolt and everyone else this week you are all in my prayers.

Yes Mamaluch, for me the best medicine for any anxiety is humor so it is great to come to this supportive and informative thread.

Malindastn, thanks for asking questions about stage 2. I think Christmas will be more enjoyable once this part is over (mine is Dec. 17).

Deejaboo, ASS*pirated...really?  That one cracked me up.

I am taking the advice on the arnica and thanks so much for the info on loose shirts for nipple recon.

Any info on sizing of nipples? I thought I read on this thread somewhere (I'm too lazy to go back and look it up) about different protrusion sizes or something?

Thank you so much for the drain info for stage 2. I was having nightmares about another 9 1/2 weeks of managing that dang thing. But all worth it in the end.

• Dejaboo
    edited December 2010

Melinda I wore the Spanx Higher Power after all of my Stages.  It comes down to mid thigh & up for most of ones tummy.  So it is good after Lipo.

fourboymom If Ass*piration cracked you up.  You should search that word in the forum & you can read about my Wierd Dr that I had to go see.   it was funny.

For Stage2 I only had my Drains for 1 week. 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2010

Fourboymom - I wish there were lots of choices regarding nipple protrusion. The problem, from my point of view (looking down at them now), is that they just never seem to hold onto much protrusion at all. So don't worry too much about it. You can ask for higher profile or lower profile, but over time, they all end up pretty low profile. It's an anatomical problem. The substance of the nipple just doesn't have anything to back it up. It's sitting on top of fat, and tends to sink down in it eventually - no matter what's used to try to stiffen those things up.

• Minnesota
    edited December 2010

Mamaluch, Linda, Holtbolt, Betty - Good luck to all of you this week! If you get a chance, tell us all about the marker artistry you got at your pre-ops! And be sure to let us know when you're safely on the other side of surgery. We all anxiously await word! 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2010
    National Institute of Lymphology Established by World Renowned Physicians for the Care and Cure of Lymphedema

CHICAGO, Dec. 1, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Marga F. Massey, MD, CLT, FACS, Founder, and Scott Sullivan, MD, FACS, Chief Clinical Investigator, are proud to announce the establishment of the National Institute of Lymphology. As a consortium of academic leaders of lymphedema care dedicated to validated clinical outcomes research in the field of lymphology, the National Institute of Lymphology is poised to find the cure for lymphedema.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/national-institute-of-lymphology-established-by-world-renowned-physicians-for-the-care-and-cure-of-lymphedema-111132489.html

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited December 2010

Mamaluch, BettyeE, Holtbolt and Linda G--thinking of all of you this week. Let us know how everything goes. I agree that this thread is such a reassuring place to visit.  My stage 2 is 3 weeks from yesterday and I have my usual surreal, can't believe I'm about to do this pre-surgery feeling . But I am pretty excited too!

Lciscarroll, fourboymom, melindastn and springtime--I believe we will all overlap some in NOLA. I am bringing my husband and kids this time but would love to get together if anyone is so inclined.

Ann, loved your steroid fueled epic post!  I am the same way on steroids. Hope your liver is ok.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited December 2010

Oh I forgot-dejaboo how is your thrush? You will always be my hero for diagnosing my thrush for me right after my stage one and I'm sorry you have been suffering with this!

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited December 2010

Good luck to all of you who are having surgery this week.

I sent Celested  a message and asked if there is anyway that I can get back to NOLA before the end of the year because my left nipple is lower and my left breast is flattening out on top around the nipple.(Minn, the nipple is lower because my breast is settling and shifting down and left under my arm pit.)

She said to send photos so I did. I am waiting to hear back. Of course the redness is now in both breasts and the ATB's are not working, so hopefully, DR S will RX stonger ATB's and let me pull the stitches. Once I pull them, I am sure this silly infection will clear.

• Dejaboo
    edited December 2010

I hope you can get your Infection under control Lynn.  And that they can fit you in this year.  That might be very hard.

Awe-thanks Amy.  I am still trying to get rid of the Thrush.  I am half way through a  2 week course of Fluconazol (sp) Still using the Nystatin rinse & Peroxide too.

it is finally feeling like it may be going away!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2010

Amy, we arrive in NOLA Eve of Sunday 19th and leave on morning of 23rd. I will be at SCSH/Center on 21st. I will swing by the hospital -- are any of you going to be in there? If so, put name on door! I will visit...  Melinda and FourBoy - what hospitals are you at?

Amy If you can figure out a date that works for us to get together, I'll be there if you want to meet for dinner. I looked above at the dates, and can't figure out one that works, but my brain is toast at the moment!! (Maybe the night of 20th? But that is no good for Melinda!)

Pam, glad the thrush is going away!!!  

• mamaluch
    edited December 2010

Hi Ladies- I just came back from my consult a little bit ago. DR. D was running pretty late from a surgery and they said one of the assistants could go over everything for me but I said I could come back later, after all I flew in from NJ to the one and only Dr D and that was who I wanted to see and ask my questions to. So, after a bite at Zea's and more  waiting and more waiting, I finally got to see Dr.D. I told him he was worth waiting for after he apologized-but I am sure you will agree with me on that one. Then he took his blue "MAGIC" marker out and said he would make some markings and then we would discuss what they all mean. I told him do not be shy and he said I mean don't hold back to which I just smiled to and said go for it. So, I am liking what the map symbols mean and told him I would just be putting a big red bow on his work of art for my hubby at Christmas. I am truly so excited.!! I hope I haven't rambled too much.A little here, a little there , lift this a bit, tighten through here-who wouldn't be excited and Stacey said I probably won't need drains but if I do they won't be in long-not sure what determines this.

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2010

I will be at the center thurs dec16 for preop in the afternoon. Surgury is Friday Dec 17 in the afternoon at Fairway. Not sure if it's a one night or 2 night stay. Then I requested a post op visit with Laura the PA on Monday Dec. 20th @ around 10am. I will seek out anyone I can find while I'm at the center as I don't see too many people going to Fairway.

We stayed in the BIENHOUSE last time which was great for exploring and unbelievable seafood in the area.My husband and I would love to meet with whoever is feeling up for it.

And once again I don't know what I would do without all you encouraging ladies. I talk about the brest center all the time up here in Cincinnati.I really feel like God is taking care of all of us in whatever way each one of us needs.

Starting arnica montana tomorrow (local health food store sells it) I wish I could give everyone of you a great big hug for helping me so much. So if I every meet you in person just be warned about what will be coming at ya :)

• mamaluch
    edited December 2010

Good luck to you fourboymom-I will let you know how my stage 2 goes. I am so excited!

• Minnesota
    edited December 2010

Sweet dreams, Mamaluch. If you have trouble sleeping tonite, don't worry, you'll get plenty of sleep tomorrow - well, today now, actually! Good luck!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2010

Spring, I hear ya on the swelling.  I am seeing a lot of accumulation above my jeans after a long day at work, so I've been wearing yoga pants even though I feel under-dressed.  At least I'm the owner and can do what I want!   Some evenings, my ankles are a bit swollen too but that is decreasing.  

Thanks, Jaimie for the offer of photos---that is really kind of you.  One of the things we are most excited about with our upcoming move to a larger building is that we will have a dedicated photography area set up. 

So, just to add to the reasons why I appreciate Dr. D so much...my original surgery was done by my surgical oncologist with circular incisions around the areola of each breast.  The when the plastic surgeon got to a certain point, he made vertical incisions downward from the circles.  There were issues with him, so I headed to NOLA for help and Dr. D closed up the circles gradually, completing the closure in three surgeries.  I was left with a bit of a pucker at the top of one areola tattoo and it had been bugging me for about two years.  Under thin clothing or a swimsuit, it looked like a second nipple, and it was what motivated me to request one more revision surgery, which I had a few weeks ago.  It had been a full year since my previous revision, and I had plenty of time to contemplate the approach I would take to try to remove the bump if I were my surgeon.    When I had my pre-op with Dr. D, I pointed it out to him, and he hesitated, so I told him that if I were to do the surgery, I would cut out a crescent-shaped piece of skin.  He said it couldn't hurt to try it and with the blue marker he drew exactly what I was thinking of.  So, after many months of looking at that bump every day and wanting it gone, it IS!!!!!  I just think it's so awesome that Dr. D was willing to attempt the revision the way I suggested.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2010
    Oh, and a bridal belt is all the rage right now.  Brides are buying relatively plain gowns and dressing them up with a fancy belt.   They can be sewn fabric or satin ribbon with rhinestone brooches, beaded trims or flowers, or a rhinestone belt.  We just added some by a top designer, but will be making our own as well, which will cost a LOT less! 
  • melindastn
    edited December 2010

I am flying into NOLA on Sunday the 19th.  Surgery is at the St. Charles Surgical Center on the afternoon of the 20th.  My daughter is coming with me to be my care giver this time.  I am hoping to take her sight seeing on Sunday.  I have a pre-op on Monday before surgery.  I hope I can do without food all morning. 

I would love to get to meet anyone that will be there during this time.  How do we put our names on the doors? 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2010

Mamluch, hottbutt and Betty-  You are all fabulous and will be even moreso.  Jeskachi-awesome on the lymphatic stuff...I need to go back and read details-such an underrecognized topic.  Sandy thanks for the bridal belt info-my niece marries late Jan and I must make her abreast of all this!  OK, running off to the shower and the grind!   Have a great dec 2nd...Oh Man can it really be?

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2010

Oh yeah...Hah!  Glenn talking about our annual re-union!  ok......if there is one I'm set to 'carry-on' (ugggg-still get a sinking feeling about all that and YES!  I still need to mail some stuff to a few people I was carrying on, will get some addresses soon).  Sheesh thank Goodness for refunds I've certainly spent it.  Cheers!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited December 2010

Sandy that is awesome about your new building :) 

So tomorrow's the day for tatoo's for me and I am NERVOUS.  I have been looking for my topless pictures all moring to take with me so Vinnie can get an idea of the color that I want.