Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2010

Ok ...packing up laptop now....will report back later , surgery was pushed back to 11:30 but so want a cup of coffee.

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited December 2010

Ladies I need your advice.  I am now down to 1 hip drain (yea!) and today is my first day trying spanx. For four weeks I have been living in the dominatrix.  How do you deal with a drain and spanx? And, please tell me is there anything I can do to get rid of this surgery swelling?  I tried on several pairs of jeans this morning and they are small all over!  Apparently my legs as well as my stomach are huge.  I have been living in yoga pants but now that I am back at work I need to find some other things to wear.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2010

Mama, you were right to wait for the Doc, I would too. I am glad you look like "a map" all over! I had a drain in one side (breast) while I was in the hospital, it put out nothing (less than 1 cc each time!), and they removed it before I left the next day. 

Journey, I went to Spanx after all drains were pulled. However, my drains never lasted long, I am one of the lucky ones, I have no idea why, but I dry up very fast. However, I would just run the tubing up and out of the spanx at the top. Swelling takes time. Sandy and Trisha say if you walk a lot and drink tons of water it helps. I find it seems to drain when I am active and pools when I am sedentary. Then over time, this stops. !! After stage 2, it took a while for me to get into my skinny jeans - I felt very poofed up for quite some time, but then again, I had ab plication and lots of pooching!

Jamie, please report back on the tattoos! Did you do nipple or areaola sparing? Has anyone had a nipple rebuilt out of your areola and THEN had a tattoo to round that part out? That is what I am doing. I wonder what they do in this case... 

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited December 2010

Late Dec ladies:

I arrive the afternoon of Dec 19 like Spring. My pre-op is on Dec 20 at 10:15, so it sounds like Fourboymom and I will be there at the same time. And Springtime I will in STCH on the 21st but presumably will be in surgery recovery.  (Surgery is scheduled for 9 am.)

Regarding getting together--anyone interested  let me know I will try to figure out a time! Might not be a time that will work for all.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited December 2010

Journey- My Right Drain Stitches Came out on my Way home from NOLA -stage 1.  it is the drain I had for 9 weeks.  So I had to tape my Drain tube to my leg.   I think that ended up helping though as it kept the drain from moving at the drain site when I pulled my Spanx up or down.

You do need to find a tape that wont hurt your skin too much.  I wish I recalled what i used.  Dh might know..

I also moved the tape every 3-4 days to another area.  it was best when I taped the tube about 1" down from the drain site.

Good Luck.  I know its not fun to have both a Drain & Compression garment.

Wish I had advice on the Swelling. I do occasionally drink warm lemon water for water weight...

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited December 2010

Where do you buy spanx?

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited December 2010

I think at kohls, macys, lane bryant, nordstroms, not sure where else?

• K9Kim
    K9Kim Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2010

Gosh, where to start?! I'm so behind, but do read every post, as it comes directly to my phone via email. I love that it keeps my up to date on all of you and what's going on.

First thing that comes to mind is the thrush. I too had it horrible from the high dose antibiotics and me being the holistic medicine girl, I researched what I could do naturally. I wanted to share what worked for me. I started taking Acidophilis to combat the bad yeast. There's millions of brands and kinds out there, but I spoke with the pharmacist at Walgreen's and ended up getting a chewable wafer that I take 3 times a day. The one I got was "Nature's Bounty" Chewable Probiotic Acidophilus (with Bifidus-Milk Free) 1 Billion organisms. And let me tell you... I took 2 before bed the day I got it and by the morning I was already better. I also wore a pantyliner and changed it often keeping it dry. And bought an anti-itch cream (generic for vagisil at the Dollar Store... believe it or not) That combination... and I was symptom free completely by the 2nd day and have been ever since and I am still on the 1000mg of Keflex daily. I told my Aunt about it as well because she is also on such high doses of anti-biotics and keeps getting yeast infections and horrible UTI's... she has never had any relief from anything and hers was so bad, she was raw from one end to the other (as was I). She too tried what I said and her symptoms are too subsiding?!?! She's in shock, she's not an alternative med girl like me, but figured she had nothing to lose and she is so much more comfortable, so if this can help anyone else, as it has my Aunt and I... I wanted to share it with you wonderful ladies!! With all we go through, if we can alleviate any of our discomfort in the healing process, I'm all about sharing!! :-) :-)  

Also wanted to update you about the thyroid. I had my last post op with Dr D on 11/22 before I left NOLA on 11/26 and he had mentioned another option... waiting until I come back for Stage 2 and do it all at the same time. I said, "REALLY" it's ok to wait? He said, yes... it would be fine. I trust him so much and know he would NEVER put my health in jeopardy, if there was any chance or thought in his mind that it would be harmful for me, he would never have thrown this option out, I just know that in my heart. But then I wonder, did he realize that they found it back on 7/13/10, which is already 4 months ago and now waiting another 2-3 months, would put me at 8 months? Does it concern me a little, sure, I think anyone would be a little uneasy, you always wonder if waiting, then it may spread? But apparently from my research I have learned that papillary carcinoma is very slow growing and not an aggressive cancer. But haven't found any site that said it was ok to wait. They all of course recommended having it done ASAP, but that's pretty standard with any cancer diagnosis I think. I am really just thinking out loud, putting my thoughts down in writing takes it from thoughts & perception to fact & logic... so thank you my dear friends for listening and letting me share my feelings with all of you. I value each one of your thoughts and insight so much. 

I stillhave both hip drains, it was 5 weeks yesterday... still over 30 cc per day, so just not ready to come out yet. My DOM is so loose now, it doesn't keep enough compression on my hips and they move around, which has caused the left one to push out some at times, but in the shower when it's good and clean I push it back in. I DON'T suggest this or encourage anyone to do it, because Jeanine said even the water getting in there could cause infection, so I take a risk each time I do it, but I just don't want have to go down the road of having it aspirated, went through that after my left breast mastectomy (not with NOLA) because they pulled the drain too early, so for 4 weeks I had to go back and get it aspirated because I kept growing a new boob!! LOL Wouldn't it be great if we were like lizards and their tails and they just grew back?? Hee Hee It's a nice thought anyway. 

I'm excited about the thought of going back to NOLA already in 2-3 months (sooner the better as far as I'm concerned) NIPPLES!! Yippee!! Dr Stolier left just a tiny bit of my areola, now I'm so glad he did, because it will be a reference point for where they belong. And the color is there as well to match. Love that!! But nervous as I hear so many different things about them. I hear so many horror stories and actually feel bad because I have done so well, I keep my mouth shut, don't want to rub it in, because of those that have not had such a smooth recovery. I never had any bruising and just a timy bit of swelling, maybe for 2 weeks, was sad when it went away, because so did the extra size in my boobies, most of it was swelling. I was actually wearing my same size jeans over my DOM even. So I am so sorry for you ladies that are having all the fluid problems. It seems like it is mostly after Stage 2, the Lipo is the culprit for that it seems?? So I should enjoy this time, Stage 2 may be a whole different ballgame for me. :-( I'm hoping not... but seems like everyone goes through it, so mine as well prepare for the worst and hope for the best!! Right? 

I also wanted to mention the fuzzy brain... definitely can relate to that. And thank you so much for sharing that. Makes me feel so much better about it. I have decreased my Demerol to only twice a day and it seems to be enough to manage the discomfort from the drains. I worry about going back to work... I have to be SO on top of it and clear headed in my job. I don't have the luxury of making mistakes. Working a bomb dog, you make a mistake, people can get hurt... So, I am so scared I am going to mess up. BUT... one day at a time... Right?!?! 

Even though I don't get on here as often as I would like, please know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers!  This was a bit long winded, but feels so good to talk to all of you and share some of my deepest thoughts and feelings. I appreciate you all listening. 

I am going to try to get on here more and let you know I am thinking of you more often!! 

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! Can you believe the Holiday are right around the corner... where did this year go?? I hope you are having a splendid Holiday Season so far!!

Sending BIG warm hugs and bunches & bunches of LOVE!! 

Kim xoxoxo

• Dejaboo
    edited December 2010

Good to hear from you Kim!

That would be great to have the surgery at the same time as your stage 2.

I forgot to say I am taking Acidophilus Along with everything else.  I have oral Thrush.  I get it every time I have suregery- which was alot in the last 2.5 years...So I think I have built up a Tolerance to the Meds it usually goes away in 2 months (which is too long).  This last time though I got it about a month before surgery...For no known reason.  So I have been trying to get rid of it for 2 months. 

My tongue feels like it has been sliced with razor blades. : (  

• Dejaboo
    edited December 2010

Oh- I forgot to say I bought my Spanx on Ebay (for $20 shipped).   Kohls does not carry Spanx.  But they do carry other brands that may work just as good.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2013

2tzus, love the sausage description. I told someone the other day it was like "pigs in a blanket"!! LOL! I love the girdle/dom but too get tired of the leg part. I think I'll try the spanx or assets tank/cami thing and just do that to help with my tummy.

Kim, so great to read your post and happy to hear you're on the road to recovery!! :)

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2010

Kim    My Dr. found my thyroid lump in July of '93 at a pre-natal visit. They waited until after my son was born to remove it, this was in October of '94 (he was 11 months old). So it was over a year from the time they found my thyroid cancer until they removed it. The lump did not even grow one milimeter the whole year plus that I delayed having it removed. My son is now a strapping 14 year old and my lack of a thyroid has been very easy to manage over the last 14 years (had 2 more boys after my thyroid was removed). I take Synthroid and have my TSH level monitored every 6 months to make sure my Synthriod dose is correct. I really believe exercise is the key to manageing all of this.

I place one folded up washcloth in my DOM over each incision line (bilateral hip flaps) to increase the pressure to those two areas. This really helped decrease my drainage. Just something that worked for me.

After Stage 1 surgery it took atleast 7 weeks before my swelling went down enough for my jeans to fit. I lived in yoga pants. So poor me had to go out and buy more yoga pants :)

Okay, the only direct flight I could get from NOLA to Cincinnati is in the morning on Monday, Dec. 20. So if anyone is up to getting together Sun. Dec. 19th we can try to work that out. I don't know how I will be feeling 2 days post op but I will have my lap top with me so we can work it out then.

So that also means unless I can switch my post op appt with Laura from 10am Mon. to a much earlier time I will have to cancel the appt. Were you ladies okay with no post op appt. after Stage 2? They said I didn't need one but I scheduled it anyway and now I may have to cancel.

Stage 2 Questions...#1 Were you okay with no post op appt?  (I'm having lipo, nipples a right breast lift and a tummy tuck). #2 How long is the hospital stay?  #3 Is the compression garment the same as the one they put on me after Stage 1 (bilateral hip flaps)?

Thanks again for all the info.  

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2010

Oh yeah, thank God for all your posts! I attributed my yeast infections to the constant pressure garments. I forgot about the antibiotics being the culprit and eating yogurt....duh!

Assets from Target also worked well for me. They are not as tight around the thighs as the DOM is. Good suggestion 2tzus. Whenever I have the DOM on my 9 year old asks me why I have "rings" around my thighs. It shows through the yoga pants. Thank you 9 year old :)

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2010

Kim, it's great to hear from you---you sound great.  I understand how you feel about waiting, but stage II is just several weeks away and you know how wonderful the care is in NOLA.  These decisions can be so tough to make!!  My drains are gone now, but one of them was protruding by about an inch for the last few days.  I always continue to shower with a small amount of Hibiclens after surgery and maybe you can use it or something similar to clean off the part of the drain you are pushing back in.  

fourboymom, you should be just fine without a post-op.  I think I've only had one in all the times I've had surgeries in NOLA, probably only because I had breast drains and Dr. D planned to remove them before I flew home.  I had really major work done on my breasts the first time I went to NOLA, and have not needed drains for any subsequent work on the breasts.

Just a word of caution: If you still have drains, be careful to not have the tubes touching your skin under a tight compression garment, and I think this would include Spanx.  The first time I went to NOLA, my surgery was at Ochsner and after I showered, my nurse ran the tubes from my pubic area all the way up through the top of the dom.  I ended up with blood blisters on my abdomen which looked like dark red snakes and it took a good year for the scars to fade.  I couldn't feel that the tubes were rubbing my skin and didn't know what was happening until I showered at the hotel the following day.  By then, the damage was done.

I saw my oncologist today for a six month check, and he told me about targeted therapies.  A tissue sample is sent to Caris lab, and they test the DNA, which produces a fingerprint of the patient's cancer.  They send a report back to the oncologist that lists the chemo drugs most likely to kill your unique cancer cells, in order from the most likely to be effective to least likely.   The testing is called "Target Now" and he said it picked up previously missed HER2+ status of a tumor in one patient thought to be HER2-, so she got to take Herceptin and is doing great.   You can visit the Caris site for more info if interested.  And as always, he expressed much delight with Dr. DellaCroce's work on me. Smile

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited December 2010

Thank y'all for the suggestions on spanx and stuff.  I did have an old pair that I cut the crotch out of so I would not have to pull off and on to pee. They come down mid thigh and because I am still so swollen I have the rings that show thru my pants too.  I think I will look today to see if I have any tights I can use instead that have the rear compression.  As for protecting skin from the tubes I discovered a couple of weeks ago that placing a man's cotton handkerchief on my stomach and the tubes on top of that has helped tremendously. Entering party season and going to have to get more creative in my wardrobe!

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2010

Good Morning ladies,

Sandy...wow, incredibly interesting.  The true miracles of modern technology!....I need to read up more. I'm coming up on my med onc visit preceded by the gyno visit(thank you Tamox) and thinking I'm probably going to take the whole day off work.......it's nerve racking.  I almost feel guilty saying that here as I am so incredibly lucky to have the hint of problems found before they were a serious problem.  Nonetheless, it's such a reality check-such a hey wait!  remember? Guess the logical part of me just says "REMEMBER how lucky/blessed/fortunate I am!" .  While esp recently friends at work say-'OMG- YOU are back!, it's like nothing even happened!'(over the past 2 years).  And while part of me would love to stay in that almost denial mode? the reality is what it is...Of course in my opinion I am new and improved physically, perhaps on the mental/spiritual side just a bit more in touch and grateful and humbled and of course thrilled to be able to hook up w/ all of you my 'breast friends'.  Thank you for sharing and letting me be part of all this.  Love you guys!  OK NOW better get ready for TGIF!  tomorrow is work christmas party and I still need to go buy somehting- hope to get my pics on FB and get my COVETED new avatar up this wkend...just wait!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

Fourboymom - To answer your stage 2 questions...

#1 Were you okay with no post op appt? (I chose to have a post op because I live 2000 miles from the center. But I don't think it was really necessary now that I've done it. They looked at the incisions, removed the bandage and sent me on my way. So a total of 5-10 minutes.

#2 How long is the hospital stay? I had my stage 2 on Thursday, stayed that night and left around lunch time Friday. I had my left breast revised, my stomach incision revised and the lipo of course.

#3 Is the compression garment the same as the one they put on me after Stage 1? Not sure, I only had the big bulky binder after stage 1, but after stage 2 this is what I had, in black: http://designveronique.com/cgi-bin/ic/dv2/853.html

Hope that helps, good luck, you're going to do awesome!!! 

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2010

Journey, 

I am 91/2 weeks out from Stage 1 and still have some pants that are too tight.  My stomach still seems to swell in a weird way at times.

Last night my husband and I attended a social function here in our small town.  I just wanted to share with you gals how wonderful it felt to be out and feel good and without pain.  I had different people come up and tell me how good I looked.  One shared with me that when she would see me out during the last couple of years I always looked tired and in pain.  Funny thing is I did not realize anyone could see it in my face like that.  After 2 years of pain from the implants I can say I finally have days without that same deep pain on the side with all the scar tissue.  It is not perfect yet but,  it is a long ways from where I began.  I am so thankful for you all.  Without you I would have never known or taken the chance I did by going to NOLA.

Springtime,  Thank you for starting this discussion.  It has changed my life. 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2010

Melinda, I am sooo glad yor pain is gone. I had the same issues with my implants. You don't realize how the pain affects you because you live with it every minute. Your pants will fit you and be too loose soon. It takes time for some longer than others.

Anne

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

About the pants, without my drawer full of lounge pants I'd be running around in my "DOM" !! I love them.Had a job interview yesterday (2 weeks from stage 2) and was nervous about having to go in something other than lounge pants!!! LOL

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2010

Dragonfly, Good luck with the job hunt!  I go back to work on Monday.  4 weeks out and feeling pretty good.  Good luck to all of those coming up next week!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

Thanks Gin!!! I've been "laid off" too long, when I'd rather be home in my pj's than at work!!! LOL :) Job market is tough for sure. That will be great for you to get back to work, a routine and life outside of the home/surgery etc...

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited December 2010

Candida/yeast - I have had serious problems with this over the years and was very scared to be on antibiotics through these procedures due to my strong candida history.  I bought 2 products, used them after each of my 3 surgeries, and I've had no problems at all.  It's been amazing.  The first one is Jarrowdophilus ($35 for a big box), which is high dose encapsulated probiotics which do not need to be refrigerated - very convenient for travel.  I started taking a couple per day while on antibiotics, then picked it up to 6-8 per day when antibiotics were done, going until the box is empty.  You do have to re-colonize the good bacteria which the antibiotics destroy or the bad bacteria has a chance to overgrow again.  The second product is called Candi-Gone (also about $35).  There are drops and capsules taken twice per day (non-laxative), and I started this the last day of antibiotics.  It is a 2 weeks series.  The other option is to get a prescription of Diflucan from your doctor - usually 2-3 doses, which can eliminate the bad yeast.  For me, Diflucan makes me feel sick, so I tried this other combo first and it was very effective for me.  Given my insurance, the copay of Diflucan would have been about $50, so this combo was not that much more, and for me was more effective.  All candida supplements are taken on an empty stomach. 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited December 2010

You can get the Jarrowdophilus and Candigone at a health food store.  I have a Whole Foods near me which carries them, and also the Whole Foods in New Orleans carries them.  One of my times I purchased the set while there in NOLA, so I know they have them.  It's a haul to get over to Whole Foods, though, so if you were to purchase these there, you need to do it before surgery or have someone else go get it for you.  It's very far to walk, even though the streetcar heads that direction.

• Springtime
    edited August 2013

Melinda, you are most welcome! I am so glad you are no longer in pain. Bless you!! That is a long time to endure. 

I also had a Spanx higher power, and I cut the crotch out of it. worked just as well. Much easier trying to "make it" to the bathroom, I have such a weak bladder!

Sandy is right! Some of us get terrible reactions to the drain hoses being right on our skin. I always remind the hospital that I am "allergic" to all adhesives and the hose plastic (surgical glue is okay for me, but my skin is irritated by the time I start picking it out, a couple of weeks later!)

Kim, I would say to your research on the thyroid. If it is safe to wait, it would be so nice to so that while in NOLA, and SCSH and the other hospitals they use there are so nice compared to most places. I am not sure how any of us will have surgery again anywhere else. Blech! I don't like to think about it!

I think I got my spanx at Nordstroms?

PJ, nice to see you girlie!!! 

Amy M, I am interested in getting together with the "late December" people if you can find a date/time that works! (I will have my husband with me, not sure if my 2 girls will come, they may be out and about on their own! But they often join in on things like this. Will ask once we have a date!) We arrive sometime on Sunday19th and will be there through Weds 22nd.  

• Springtime
    edited December 2010

Oh, one more thing, for those of you with hypothyroid and on synthetic hormone Synthroid. I also took this for years. Once I was diagnosed with BC, I discovered that there are other options, and some people do much better.

I now take desecrated thyroid (I take Nature-Throid, but it is like Armours). Some people do better on a natural thyroid hormone replacement, b/c it helps with the T3 and T4. I suggest you all look into it and consider it. I feel better being on a natural version.

Kim, I suggest you research this given your "natural" status! :) 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited December 2010

Spring- my tatoos are done and I could feel a little bit and it didn't "hurt" but it was an aching feeling. Its a little achey now but worth it :).

• Springtime
    edited December 2010

Thanks Jamie, mine generally feel a bit "achey" if they feel of anything! Good to know. Let me know how long it is until your skin recovers?? Would appreciate hearing how it goes... :)

• Springtime
    edited December 2010

Good luck to HoltBol (aka hot butt) and Linda G today! Hope you ladies are on the other side now, and done!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2013

JOURNEY, You will have to ask Minnesota about her creativity with the drains and the little black dress, Can you say duck tape?

The belly button drainage has clear with the antibiotic but now it looks like it is "closing up" on me. Sent more pics to Laura and she said it looks like a revision will be needed.  Don't plan on it soon though.

Hope everyone had a beautiful Thanksgiving, even though I worked I did get to see my family because I worked a split shift ( AM and then came back in PM) Sometimes I feel I take for granted how truely blessed my life is. Last night I went to a choral concert for my friends pre K twins ( what a hoot) and there was a little girl so frail and had lost alot of her hair so I assume she has some sort of cancer and it was  a reality check for me that I am so healthy and with a healthy albeit sassy 14 year old.