Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited December 2010

I didn't know when you called the after hour # you got Dr S. I was surprised. I had a question on the drain before we flew home from stage 2. I called because I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything majore, and talked to him. I was surprised, and then thought geeze I should have waited to see if it resolved itself which of course it did right after I talked to him. Anyway, I am so grateful for him and the nurses and the center.

I was nervous about peeing with the girdle on, for the most part did ok except on the plane. The bathrooms are so small! I know the nurse said to spread your legs far apart and lean way forward. Not easy on a plane! LOL 

• K9Kim
    K9Kim Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2010

Good afternoon ladies! I just wanted to give you an update.... spoke with Dr Trahan and he agreed that it is an infection based on my symptoms. He called in the Levaquin and I have already been to the pharmacy, picked it up and taken my first dose. Yay!! Once again on the road to recovery!!

I will call the center tomorrow about possibly pulling the other side though, as it has been below 30 cc for 3 days and I think that is the criteria to pull it, but won't do anything until I get the ok from the doc tomorrow. That will be wonderful to be down to just one and once the infection clears, I imagine the other one will be able to be pulled as well. Yippee!! 

Thank you again for all your support!! I'm so excited I have found quite a few of you on facebook through other NOLA ladies photos and/or posts etc... I just love having another form of communication, especially one I can do right from my phone. :-) :-)

I hope you are all having a wonderful Sunday!!  

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2010

Hi Kim,

I'm glad Dr. Trahan was able to help you, hopefully that infection clears up quickly.

Regarding peeing with garment on, my body absolutely refuses to cooperate so I am getting real good at hooks and zippers.

I am so tired but going to walk around New Orleans to get some fresh air. 

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited December 2010

Hello Ladies,

I am home and doing really well.  I am sore and bruised to no end.  I'm sorry I have not posted until now, but I could not post from my Ipad and that was all I had with me.  I met Hello from CT and Mamaluch.  Sorry I missed you HoltBolt.  I guess you were still in surgery when I left.

I am so happy with my revisions.  I will be even happier in 2 weeks when I can remove this torture garment!

Bettye 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2010

Mama, try not to be discouraged. I was like a balloon for a while. and Stage 2 is when they do all the cosmetic stuff to make you look beautiful-er! After my stage 1, I looked in the mirror at the hotel and felt totally ravaged!!! (I had 4 flaps, so front AND back were hit!). It is a journey.... Hang in there!

Bettye E! Glad you are doing okay.

Kim, So glad you are on antibiotics! That will kick it's butt.

Spring. 

• K9Kim
    edited December 2010

Hi Girlies,

Just a quick note to say I am already feeling better!! I took my first dose of Levaquin at 3pm, then just slept most of the day, napping on and off, body must need the rest and here it is 6 hours later and I feel SO much better already!! Man that must be some antibiotic?!?! And it should be based on the price!! There's no generic for it, so it was $70 after insurance... Ouch!! But worth every penny if it makes me better and well, as it already has, so there. :-)

Sending warm peaceful well wishes to all of you in recovery!! :-) 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2010

That's great news Kim!  Thanks for keeping us up to date and seeking us out on FB.  I just posted a photo so check it out and see if you know what it is.  LOL

• K9Kim
    edited December 2010

For those of you I have already connected with on facebook, you may have already noticed I am notorious for posting daily inspirations or notes to my page. They help me so much, I feel like our minds are like computers... the more positive you put in, the more positive that will come out and we just need to learn to use that delete button whenever negative thoughts arise, as they inevitably will. ;-) Anyway, when I read this one today, it spoke to my heart and I thought of all of you... my "NOLA Sisters" immediately and how we can all relate to this one through our own personal journeys. So... I wanted to share it with you all of you!! I love you guys!!  

"Reach Out for Your Dreams and Bring Them Closer to Your Heart" by Collin McCarty

You're good, but you're going to be great.

You're the best, but you're going to get better.

Sometimes the paths we take are long and hard, but remember: those are always the ones that lead to the most beautiful views.

Challenges come along inevitably: how you respond to them determines who you are - deep down inside - and everything you're going to be.

Increase the chances of reaching your goals by working at them gradually. The very best you can do is all that is asked of you.

Realize that you are capable of working miracles of your own making. Remember that opportunities have a reason for knocking on your door and the right ones are there for the taking.

You don't always have to win, but you do need to know what it takes to be a winner.

It's up to you to find the key that unlocks the door to a more fulfilling life.

Understand that increased difficulty brings you nearer to the truth of how to survive it - and get beyond it.

Cross your bridges.

Meet your challenges.

Reach out for your dreams and bring them closer and closer to your heart.

Get rid of the "if only's" and get on with whatever you need to do to get things right.

Go after what you want in life, with all the blessings of all the people who care about you. And find out what making your wishes come true really feels like.

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2010

K9Kim, So glad you are feeling better! 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited December 2010

Kim - what did the doc say about pushing the drain back in?  I had one which was a bit looser and tended to come out a bit.  I mentioned it to Sullivan at a post-op, and he was very concerned, taking a look at it.  He said it was fine, but worth keeping an eye on since pushing it back in could cause infections.  from then, I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, as well as betadine a couple times per day.

• mamaluch
    edited December 2010

K9Kim-glad u r feeling better, thanks fr the inspiring words.I see Drs. in am for post-op. I am going to ask for different antibiotic since this one seems to upset my stomach. Did you ladies have anything different then cephalexin?

• Mauicarol
    edited August 2013

Protect your new ta-tas!! Beware of aggresive breast exams!!   7 weeks out of stage 2 and I thought everything had completely healed until I went to my oncologists office the Friday after Thanksgiving.  The unpleasant nurse-practitioner was so amazed at my new breasts that she felt the need to do a very aggresive breast exam (all the while telling me that my belly fat will come back). Saturday night I developed a fever but no other symptoms.  I thought it was a flu bug, but nothing changed for 3 days.  Finally, I figured there HAD to be an infection somewhere so I began inspecting my breasts (should have thought of that sooner).  Sure enough, under one breast there was an opening that was oozing! It certainly wasn't like that when I went to Dr. on Friday. I e-mailed Laura & she called in antibiotic. I guess the moral of the story is since I don't have much sensation in the breasts I need to be more protective of them. lol.

• Springtime
    edited December 2010

Yeah, What KC said - did you ask him about pushing the drain back in? I had Levaquin when my white counts got really low in Chemo (like prophylactically!). It is a really powerful one! 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited December 2010

So I had my tatoo's done on Friday and there was a newspaper report there and they asked if they could take some pictures.  I said yes after they told me that they would be discret pictures....Discret my backside. :(  I am not happy, it was front page of this newspaper.  I have had 2 people recognize me which I do not care if any awareness stuff was put in it but it WASN'T....grrr...

I am so regretting it......I told them I would if they mentioned that women had options and that free flap was one of them....NOTHING...blah,blah, blah...how I was counting down until this day....blah, blah, blah....

• Mauicarol
    edited December 2010

Jaimieh, that is awful!!  I would have done the same as you, though. If it could help other women or make people more aware of options and if I was told it would be discreet & not identifyable.  Some journalists have absolutely no class!!  What a mean thing to do to you!  Don't let it steal your joy from getting your tattos though!  Sounds like you are a NOLA graduate.  Congratulations!!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited December 2010

Call the newspaper and raise hell Jamieh!  That is BULL SHIT!!!!

• poolgirl
    poolgirl Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2010

Glad to hear that you are all doing so well from your last round of surgeries. I recently had round 2c which I hope to be my last. I am very happy with the results. I found that I was allergic to the Betadine. I have always been allergic to iodine but I did not put the two together until I started itching and scratching. I have the issue as well trying to post from my I-.phone, I have not been  able to post much because I keep getting viruses on our home computer. Kim don't worry, call about your concerns. I developed an infection in one of my drains and it swelled up in a matter of an hour to the size of a dinner plate.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited December 2010

I agree with Trishia, I'd be raising some hell with the newspaper. That is wrong on so many levels!!!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2010

Man this thread is soooo interesting to follow! I've been on the edge of my seat, catching up on two days. Kim, I was totally following your whole story and was sad you were alone and then worried, then so happy when you finally got the phone number and called and got your antibiotic and then felt way better! And all of our ladies came thru this week pretty great, it sounds like. And Mama gets to have a nice walk in the warm air of New Orleans. And Mauicarol - OMG! That stupid nurse! And then Jamie - OMG! That stupid paper! And then Trishia comes in with guns blazing! Really, this is a very exciting thread! Kim, I'm so glad you found me on Facebook. I loved your inspirational sayings, too. I have a couple by my computer. One is: "Those who suffer from dizziness never get to the top. They turn back at the intersection of the branches." I'd say all of us kept going 'til we got to the top and didn't let the dizziness or the fear of the unknown or the anxiety or even the prospect of drains and the dominatrix keep us from making our way to NOLA for The Best!!!! Another saying by my computer: "God and I can do this!"

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited December 2010

Hi all,

I am woefully behind but wanted to say hi. Holtbolt - I'm glad you're happy with your Stage 2b so far. And Bettye! You'll feel better every day. I'm so glad you got your revisions and can enjoy the results now. K9Kim - glad you're doing better too.

Jamieh - what were these photos of exactly? Either way I'd be furious too.

I also got tatts a couple of weeks ago with my local ps. I think I'm officially DONE now. I just posted final photos on TimTam's site for anyone interested.

This time last year I had just found this NOLA thread and was using it like my bible while I started learning about NOLA. Thank you ladies!

• mamaluch
    edited December 2010

I agree Laughlines that this thread has been my bible, has helped carry me through the difficult times and the just plain ridiculous times. I appreciate all your comfort and concern. It will feel bittersweet to be done at NOLA but I do feel like we should definitely have some sort of reunion because we are all part of a bigger family. How touching how those who are done, continue to monitor this site and hold the hands of the newly diagnosed and answer questions and just let us cry on your shoulders. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Love, Mama

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited December 2010

Hi everyone,

Bettye, glad to hear you're home and doing well.  It was so great finally meeting you!

Holtbolt, it was great seeing you again (as always).  Looking forward to seeing you again maybe in NYC or back in NOLA for some non-surgery event!

Glad everyone is doing so well!  I agree with Laughlines...this thread has been a lifesaver in so many ways!

Suzanne

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited December 2010

laughline~ They were of the tatoo being done from down below the chair.  So none of my breast was showing and I am makina a horrible face trying to see because it was when we started.  Being a photographer he could have done so many other things to get a better pictures but he didn't :(

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited December 2010

Welp I am home after a challenging travel day yesterday with a connection in Detroit.  OMG.. the rudeness of people... doesn't everyone know you exit row by row out of planes out of general courtesy?  My poor caregiver (Patty) was nearly trampled in the aisle by jackasses rushing from the back trying to get out first. People can be stupid.  Luckily Patty doesn't take crap from people and went off on them to my enjoyment... lol.....And speaking of stupid, Jamie, I agree with Trishia.. that is bullshit about the article and I would be going off immediately....

Suzanne... I felt very emotional on this last round thinking I'll never see my surgery buddy again.. let's not let that happen.  It was great to see you and Tory and I hope we can stay in contact and YES, do something fun sometime that does not involve cutting on either one of us!! lol.  You look fantastic as always... I hope going back to work today was easy...

Betty... glad to hear you sailed through this surgery...sorry I missed you! 

Mamaluch...it was GREAT to meet you guys.... I can tell you have a super caring/supportive husband... he's a keeper.... I hope you two were able to have some fun before going home.  My friend Patty was cracking up at us... how open we are talking about all this stuff... she's like.. "you're standing there talking about your nipples in front of her husband like you're talking about your arm and you just met him".... I had to explain to her that's just the way it is... lol.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news on the swelling after lipo but it stays around a LONG time for some of us and it takes a long time to see the results of it (at least for me it does).  :(

Kim, I'm glad you are doing better!  Laughlines, Minnesota, thanks for the shout out.... I never thought I would have implants after all this but if they corrected my concaved problem, I'm totally ok with them...and my only other option was a DIEP and I really didn't want to do that.... Dr D, however, refused again to lipo my belly because he said that's all I have left to work with if I ever needed anything.  So, I might end up with a hott butt, nice boobs but a flabby old lady belly on reserve in case I need it... lol.  It'll match my flabby old lady arms and my turkey neck...Whatever...you know?  I'm not 30!   I'm just happy to be done... well, except for tattoos with Don.

Uh oh.. it's December and I guess I'll be shopping on Amazon this year.... my only goal today is to have a BM and buy one present on Amazon.... wish me luck....

Cindy

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2010

Cindy, I nearly spewed my tea on my keyboard. Such fabulous goals for the day! I hope you achieve tham both!!

Anne

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2010

So nice to hear everyone is doing better. 

Cindy, when I was there for Stage 1 one of the nurses gave me warm prune juice to dring.  It really did help and quickly I might add with the BM.

K9Kim,  I am going to send you a PM.

Two weeks from today and I will be seeing Dr. D.  I must say that I don't think he will have a lot to do. These girls are so cute already.  I had to be out in the cold Friday night and it was great not having cold implants hurting me.  YEAH!!!! I am feeling so good now.  It has been almost 10 weeks.  The first 71/2 were no fun but I can say now it was worth every bit of the pain.

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2010

How do you get to view the pictures on TimTam?

• Springtime
    edited December 2010

Melinda, up in top right, click member list and search for TimTam, then send her a PM and request access to her site. 

Jamie, OMG!! OK then, NO PICTURES when I get mine later this month! How totally ROTTEN!!! 

• Springtime
    edited December 2010

Jamie, forgot to ask, how are they feeling? How many days for the skin to "recover"? Any info appreciated.

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2010

Hi everyone!

I love reading this thread and even though I don't post too often I read it everyday. You ladies are amazing and I wish you all the best with your surgeries and recoveries. 

It's 6 weeks today since my stage 1 DIEP and almost 7 weeks since my stage 1 SGAP. Two major surgeries 5 days apart is no walk in the park to recover from but with the help of my family who have spoilt me with care and great food I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I still have one hip drain which is putting out less than 30cc's so hopefully it will come out this week. The DOM and I have developed quite a relationship. I wear her every day as long as she keeps my drain in check and prevents me from infection. So far, so good :) The weather here in FL has cooled down so that is icing on the cake. Wearing this in the summer months must be hellish :(

My stage 2 is scheduled for Jan 27. I can't think of going under again at this moment but wanted to get it booked so I have my spot. One of my boobs is considerably bigger than the other as one is from the belly and the other from the butt. I hope Dr D can make them both the bigger size :) I have plenty of fat on my thighs and love handles which he told me not to lose. I guess mom and dads food will help comply with that request too :)

Cindy - You always crack me up. I remember our meeting at NOLA in April and am happy Dr D was able to correct your concave chest. I'm sure you look fantastic with your new additions. Senokots have been my friend throughout cancer treatment and my surgeries. They are not as efficient with narcotics but still always come through for me. 

Again, I feel blessed to be a part of such a wonderful group of peeps. Thank you. xox.