Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited December 2010

I am another one who is hypothyroid. And I have been for years. I take both T3 and T4 supplements.  On the alternative boards, there seems to be some connection to breast cancer with low thyroid, low Vit D, and low iodine.  Since my BC dx, I have been looking into this.  It's worth a read over there.  Many are far more aware than I, so I cannot make many comments except to direct you over that direction.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2010

KC, I began taking an iodine supplement this week after reading about it on this site and then doing a bit of research in other places.  A bottle of liquid is only about $4-5 and because you only need three drops a day, it appears that the bottle will last about a year!

Spring, I think the reason I developed the blood blisters was that the drain tubes were rubbing deeply into my skin every time I moved.  You're right about SCSH.  I cannot imagine having surgery here at home now....nothing will compare to the care we receive in NOLA.  That's why my DH is having his hernia surgery at SCSH next month with Dr. Treen.  It was so interesting to find him listed on the hospital's web site, and I was surprised when my husband was open to the idea of traveling to NOLA for his own surgery.   I'm going to have my tattoos done during the same trip, and may have a little revision done to the scar from my old belly button, but only if it can be done with a local anesthetic.  No more fuzzy brain!!

Sally, I'm glad that infection has cleared up. 

Hopefully Holtbolt and Linda will check in very soon!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited August 2013

Hi...

Checking in from St. Charles..... I am doing pretty well...sore but well.... and I am optimistic that Dr. D fixed my "concaved around the sternum" problem.  The area on either side of my sternum was concaved (I always have to be the challenging patient with some weird problem... lol....)  and my left buttcheek was still very dented... that's the reason for my Stage 2B.  He had 3 fixes for the concaved areas...1) fat injections, which he tried in May (my body absorbed them)...2) small implants to give the breasts fullness and draw the skin out up there or 3) another flap from my belly/diep.  Well , we agreed on small implants..and I worked through my fear of waking up with big stripper boobs.... they are bigger no doubt but whatever.. I started with zero so....who am I to complain.... my husband was thrilled with the news on that one.... Men!  He didn't come down here this time, my friend Patty did...  I think the nurse said they are150ccs so maybe they aren't as big as they look right now?  I think that did it... fixed the problem ....at least when I look now, the area is filled in but I'm not sure how much swelling is there... so I am hopeful.... then he lipo'd my love handle area redid the left buttcheek, I have a hip drain for 4/5 days..yuk, but not the end of the world.  Supposed to fly home tomorrow... or I may change it to Monday.. not sure...

But alas I have had many Icees and I'm in good spirits, hoping I'm finally done.  Well, except for tattoos with Don... I'm planning  on next year for that.

Met Mamaluch in the hallway... but did not get to meet BettyE.... hi Betty!

My fav driver Glenn took me by Peyton Manning's house (where he grew up) so that was cool and we did the buggy ride this time and spent some time in Harrahs/French quarter... the weather here has been beautiful... suppose to be 75 today and sunny.... I do not want to go back to Indy tomorrow... apparently they got 4 inches of snow and I hate winter... LOL

here's a line from Dr. D.... I was showing him my dented butt and said I have trouble keeping my pants up.... so he says .........  "just don't wear pants"... LOL  He is great (as usual)... I showed him my Steven Tyler pics and let him know that his work was touched by a rock star... at first he accused me of photoshopping lol but he had a good laugh from that one....said I should have had the work autographed... . everyone here has been terrific as expected.....the scrapbook is great btw... Tammy did a great job putting that together....

Ok, that's it for now....hope Linda did well... for those coming up...good luck!!

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2010

OK, I just don't wanna crop the pic anymore(avatar).  Have already cut down significantly.  If you cannot read/see it.(and want to..hee hee!)...go to FB noladoc friend page and you can actually see it.  I uploaded it there and left a msge.  When we were walking in Roma to the Spanish steps we passed a street corner and it was/is VIA DELLA CROCE.  Of course I thought it very cool and had to snap a quick pic-(of this and enough other stuff to put anyone into a coma).  The green cross thingie is one of the pharmacies...I guess they all look like that thru EU-they did in other countries I've visited as well and it just happened to be on that street(VIA)/corner as well.  ANYHOO...that is my coveted new avatar and it's significance for me and for all you!  I hope you all have a wonderful wkend!  Hope all the ladies in Nola are recovering well physically and emotionally and I hope they get a chance to enjoy Nola esp w/ the holiday splendor- speaking of which i GOTTA make some of that happen in Irving at my address after I put this place back together after this slam bam welcome back to town and work week.  Marcia the Hanukah pics are just lovely.  Happy Happy holidays to ALL!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited December 2010

Good to hear from you Hotbutt.

You should have had your boob Autographed by Mr Tyler!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2010

Hotbutt - So glad you're doing great and that you got to meet Mamluch. It sounds like now you're going to have hot boobs to go with your hot butt!!!! Your implants are about the size of my whole breasts! Funny joke from Dr. D. But going without pants is very embarassing - I know, because I did it!

Sandy - I thought low iodine wasn't a problem if you lived by the ocean. I thought that's why all of our salt is iodized in the Midwest, but not on the coasts. I heard that somewhere, but maybe it's not true.

Sally - Glad your infection is better, but more surgery? Well, whatever it takes to see Dr. D again! LOL!

Betty - Are you okay? Did I miss you posting or are you still recovering? Hotbutt, Mamaluch - anyone hooked up with her?

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2010

Hi Ladies, 

I finally left the center today. I was having issues with the pain meds and feeling whoozy and stuff so they got kind of nervous  checking my hemoglobin levels and changing my meds a bit. I felt real good after a full nite of sleep but once I got up to shower and get dressed I needed to take more meds.

I did get a chance to meet Betty just before she left, she seemed in real good spirits and looked very rested.

• mamaluch
    edited December 2010

I also got to meet Holtbolt, who looks fantastic, you would never believe she just went through surgery. She was looking good and feeling good, she gave me some good laughs.

She snuck out of the center just before me, I think they wanted to make sure I didn't pass out or anything. I just have a low tolerance for narcotics. 

• mamaluch
    edited December 2010

So, on to the important stuff, the "girls" look pretty good , although I wasn't expecting the incision around the right nipple but I guess that's part of the lift process. I have bruises pretty much every where the blue marker was and it's pretty sore.....can't see any visible difference yet but I know I am very swollen because I can't fit my rings on yet. I did walk to dinner with my hubby to french quarter tonite, the breeze felt magnificent(about 65 degrees). I had a nice green salad and lots of water. Some of the hotels lobbies look amazing all decorated, feels over the top. like from another century.

I will keep you all posted on my progress! I do have 2 hip drains but Charlotte(sweetheart) said most likely one would come out before I go home, but that they most likely would make me keep one. OK, best of luck to girls coming down and feel free to ask any questions. 

• K9Kim
    K9Kim Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2010

Hey Girls,

Thanks again for all the information and words of encouragement!! I wouldn't normally ask these kind of questions on the discussion board, but it's Saturday night and not sure I could get a hold of someone? I felt like I had been given some number to call for after hours, but in my fog... like I can actually find it! LOL 

Ok, so they wanted me to start weaning myself off the demerol, so I went from 4-6 hours first 2 weeks, to to 6-8 hours 3-4 weeks and now had went to every 12 hours, just twice a day. And yesterday only one and today none. The reason I am telling you all this in such detail is I am wondering if it is contritbuting to the pain in my left hip or it's new? I am a little concerned about that left hip drain, as I had mentioned I have pushed it back in more than once during a shower, but it always looked great after and the days following, never red or swollen or anything like that, but yesterday and today I haven't felt right, I have chills constantly, don't have a frickin thermometer to take my temp and can't drive on my demerol... My roommate is out of town, my boyfriend is out of town... I sound like a big cry baby. But I just don't have anyone to go get me one. But feel like I might be runnng a temp, based on the chills and the flu like symptoms I am having. HOWEVER, the sight still looks great, no redness or swelling, but I have noticed an slight increase in the output (about 20 cc more) and the color is a little more milky yellow as opposed to the normal murky slighly see thorough yellow output. And it stinks. I remember smelling it th first week or two and remember thinking huh, no smell what-so-ever? Weird? But honestly haven't smelled it since, so can't say when it changed. But weird thing is, the right one smells the same, it's stinky too?? Ahhhh... what to do. I know it doesn't constitute an emergency, but just wanted to put my mind at ease if at all possible. ANYONE out there that can share any insight or information based on their experience would be most helpful and SO appreciated!! 

Please forgive me for not posting as often as I know I should, but I am just in a bit of a funk and irritated with myself about it. I felt like I was doing so much better when I was in NOLA staying my best friend, once I got home, reality hit. I was pretty good with my new found love, he's a God sent by the way... a true blessing, but he's now away until Wednesday, so being alone is always harder.

Once again thank you for listening ladies. Mamluch, Hot Butt and Betty... so good to hear you are all on the other side and now on the road to recovery. That of course goes for all of you, but I just can't keep up with this thread... it moves so darn quickly!!! LOL

Love you guys!! xo

• mamaluch
    edited December 2010

K9Kim-The number to call after hours is 504-780-3213

You should definitely call, all things you mentioned are the things my nurse told me when I was being discharged that you should call about. Good luck! 

• Dejaboo
    edited December 2010

Thanks for getting her the # Mamaluch.  I could not find it.  Glad you are doing a bit better & out of the Hospital.  Charlotte is a Sweetheart.

Kim I pm you.

• K9Kim
    edited December 2010

Mamaluch!! Thank you my friend!!! I knew one of you would have a number!! Yippee... Glad to hear you were well enough to be discharged, wishing you guys a smooth recovery. :-) 

Pam, I PM'd you back, thank you!

• K9Kim
    edited December 2010

I tried that number Mamluch and it is just the answering service. I don't want them to page the doctor to call me back, I don't feel it warrants an emergency. Oh well, thank you so much just the same!!

If anyone happens to have the number to the nurses station at the hospital, that's the one I would love. Just to run it by one of the nurses. But I wonder if once all the patients have been discharged, I imagine the nurses would go home too? I'm guessing. Am I the only one that has stayed there over the weekend? Lol I was the ONLY patient there on Saturday and Sunday, well,  after the last lady was discharged on Saturday afternoon... heehee 

I know they had given me the nurses station number while I was at the hospital, but no idea where it is and the answering service was clueless... 

No worries, it can wait until Monday, if I were to get any worse I will surely have them page the doctor for me. I'm leaning more towards a narcotic withdrawal now anyway, since I have no symptoms at the actual site and the symptoms I'm having are definitely mimicking a narcotic withdrawl, chills, flu like feeling, etc... but will follow up for sure!! Thank you ladies!!!!!! :-)

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited August 2013

Defintely call,Kim...they (the Docs) would rather you err on the side of caution, I promise!

Post and let us know whats going on..Its only 10 PM their time and its better to call now than if you get to feeling worse in the wee hours of the morning...do you have a friend you can ask to run you to a pharmacy?

Concerned Marcia

• K9Kim
    edited December 2010

Oh, I have been meaning to reach out to any of you that may be on facebook!! I have that on my phone and can post etc from my phone, would just be another way to stay in touch and keep the lines of communication open. I hate that I can't post anything here from my phone.

SO... anyone that is on facebook, please please send me your info via a PM if you would so I can send a friend request. I will also try and send a group PM with my info, not sure if I can do that or not, but think so. :-)

Marcia, thank you for your concern, truly! But I don't have anyone at all right now, I know that sounds so pathetic, but the timing is just bad. Honestly, if I thought it couldn't wait, I would call and again, will if I feel any worse. But just don't see how it can be an infection if the drain site looks healthy? That's why I was asking anyone that has had an infection to let me know what there symptoms were... All the posts I have read in reference to an infection have had redness or swelling at the drain site. I'll call, I'll call, promise if I feel any worse or symptoms don't improve now that I have taken a demerol. That will rule out the narcotic withdrawal at least. 

Thanks again ladies!!! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2010

Hi Ladies,

I had hypothyroid and I take Iodoral (an iodine supplement, and my latest aturation hit 89%, so I am good!) Vit D, and a bunch of other supplements. It is worth looking into.

Kim, I hope they figure out what is going on!

Good to hear from Mama, HottButt, and Bettye!

Glenn is the best driver! Tell him we are thinking of his daughter, Belinda.  

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2010

Kim, I don't know why I'm not able to send a PM.

You can friend request me on FB. Look for Liz Anderson CrossFit Blaze. 

I have called the emergency # twice in the evenings and Dr Trahan called me back within 5 min. Better safe than sorry! 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2010

Kim, you can reach someone at the hospital 24 hours at 504.529.6600 but they told me that it's better to call the emergency number at 504.780.3213 for follow up concerns.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited December 2010

Kim, this is not the time to be tough, nor is it a time to self-diagnose.  You've got some significant symptoms going on here and it needs to be run by one of the doctors.  They'll probably call you in some antibiotics whether it's Sat, Sun or Monday.  No reason to wait.  You've noticed changes which are notable.  Changes don't just happen for no reason.  Make the call.  It would give ME peace of mind  :)

• K9Kim
    edited December 2010

Sandy, thank you so much for the number to reach the hospital 24 hours!!! I just called and spoke with the nurse Karen. She agreed with all of you that it's notable changes and the doctor needs to know about them. You guys are totally right!! Sorry for being so thick headed, I am usually the one running to the doctor at the 1st sign of any change?

Anyway, there's nothing we can right now, in the middle of the night, but will call answering service 1st thing in the am and get my butt to the pharmacy. The nurse did ask if I was still on an anti-biotic and was happy to hear that I was still on one. They will proabably call in something different for me tomorrow. She also mentioned taking some ibuprofen for possible inflammation and with the chills, reduce the possibility of a fever as well. I feel better already. 

I had just drained another 20 cc... which put meup to 56.5 for the day when I was at 30 and below the last few days... that's when I knew something was definitley wrong. And the pain in my left butt cheek!! Geez that hurts? My butt hasn't hurt the entire time, ever, not even right after surgery. Always been kinda numb, so that was a considerable change as well. It hurt so much I couldn't even put pressure on that leg... and that's after taking a demerol? Geesh... 

Ok, thank you ladies again so very much!! I felt so alone here, but then I was reminded I have ALL of you and you always seem to be there when I need you!!! Thank you once again from the bottom of my heart!!

I promise... I WILL make the call 1st thing in the AM and update you once I speak with the Doc. :-)

Good Night xo 

• plainjane64
    edited December 2010

Miss Kim!...I sure hope you're ok!...I'm a couple states over but will send you FB info.  I am single and live alone and got pretty sick(nausea-wise) after I got home from stage 2.  I totally feel ya-scary stuff.  Fortunately I'm a nurse and called my nurse friends at work.  The charge person found 2 people who were off who came over and helped me out.  One called the center and had them call me in zofran ODT and phenergan while I was retching we sorted all that out and that stopped then later my other friend came over and helped me shower and empty drains and helped me get some fluids down......and I will warn you Ibuprofen may be your friend but it can produce nausea too.  I'm VERY independent but I NEEDED someone w/ me and so do you.  Wish myself or one of us lived closer!

• plainjane64
    edited December 2010

OK ladies..story time...again!...Went to work christmas party last pm, it was fun and YES!  I looked pretty good! if I do say so myself.  Saw a nurse friend who works at our facility in Plano-hadn't seen her in a couple years?  She is really a pretty lady and when she was younger sort of the total blond bombshell type.  Very big bleachy long hair-huge implants always suggestive, verbally and her clothing- no big deal.  It is just sort of sad, an aging beauty not coping well w/ getting older her deadbeat husband is gone(I'd say great- of course she thinks this is why she is 'broke') but that's a whole nother topic.....At any rate the first thing she did(because perhaps she's never developed any real social skills?) was stare at my chest....No plunging neckline, just a really pretty party dress and my breasts are PROPorTIONAL.  At any rate she then proceeded to give e a superficial hug and that was the moment I said again..."I a SOOOooo glad I did not do implant recon. I swear she has capsular contracture extreme and was flaunting it w/ her dress.....It was almost painful those huge hard disfigured rocks on her chest pressed into me! Just another I LOVE my breasts moment I wanted to share!  Have a wonderful Sunday!

• mamaluch
    edited December 2010

Good Morning K9Kim.....please don't hesitate to call the Drs. this morning-they want us to call with any concerns and they emphasized that to me yesterday before check-out. Even though that is an answering service, they will get right back to you. Good luck, let us know how everything works out.

• plainjane64
    edited December 2010

Oh one more thing.....purchased Spanx all the way up panty hose (at Steinmart w/ the rest of my outfit- and they have QUITE the spanx collection for great prices!) to wear under and they are crotchless!  brought back memories of the dom WHICH by the way is way too big and yeah ine was a 1 or 2 XL...I remember how hard that was to swallow last year....time is our friend!

• mamaluch
    edited December 2010

Seriously, please tell me this swelling doesn't last long- would like to see some visible results where I have all this bruising.

• chimama05
    chimama05 Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2010

Good luck to all having surgery this week.....hoping all goes well and you feel good as new for Christmas! I consider the new me my best gift ever!!!

• Dejaboo
    edited December 2010

Mamaluch, you are only 3 days out from surgery.   Swelling is to be expected.  Though its not fun & it sure doesnt make us think all the pain was worth it.

It will go down...Give it time.

With my Stage 2B I gained 15# of water weight. 

• mamaluch
    edited December 2010

thanks degaboo-just so sore, it's hard to believe I can't see any noticeable difference. I will be patient, stay away from salt and drink lots of water. Sometimes just need to wine a little, i mean whine.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2010

Kim (and others) never hesitate to call the answering service to talk to the docs. I know we want to be "good patients" or whatever, and not bother them at home, but being on call is part of their job and you ARE paying for that service...

I never managed peeing through those crotchless Spanx without getting a little backflow dribble. Is it just ME??  maybe the crotch hole wasn't wide enough? So, I just struggled pulling those things off and back on over painful thighs and butt after Stage 2...

Anne