Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2011

Here is the fat grafting thread, URL below. FYI.

I also read about it on the Miami site and it sounds good, they describe the lipo as very gentle. Amy, if you learn more about it, let us know!

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/747737

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited April 2011

Good evening Ladies..funny I read up on the Miami thing last night and I am sticking with NOLA. The pix on their website were okay but nothing to write home about. Kaitsmom I have gone the past 2.5 years with out. I am only 38 and had planned to no have anymore surgery but "I" decided that the time is NOW! I wanna wear some of my old stuff and not worry about if the prosthesis will shift. Sick of going to the bathroom making adjustments..lol!! Go for it Love!

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited April 2011

Question Ladies--I have been walking and doing exercise tapes to get my body into better shape especially as I prepare for surgery. My husband is concerned that my belly is shrinking and that I wont have enough for the C/small D's. Can anyone advise on the truth of this matter?

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

I briefly spoke with my local PS about this and he said it is too experimental in his opinion and would wait a couple fo years before using it.

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited April 2011

Ladies, I am crying as I read your notes of support and encouragement.  I am so grateful.  It has been a tough day, and I think that is when I start to question my choices.  But I know I am in good hands at NOLA.  Each time I talk to someone down there, I am more certain of it.  They seem to have so much patience and compassion. (More so than some of my friends right now!) I can't wait to meet them all in person.  And I wish I could take all of you along as well.  But for now, though, to end this long day, I am going to have a nice warm soak.  I may read more about that other procedure tomorrow, but after the little I have read now, and Spring's post, I know it is not for me . . . Thanks again, all . . .

Amy 

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited April 2011

PS  Spring - regarding Duke - oy! We'll talk . . .

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited April 2011

kaitsmom, I know you have already heard this from others, but I had a similar experience too. Two plastic surgeons, the breast surgeon, the oncologist and others as well acted like I was NUTS for doing a DIEP reconstruction after an implant reconnstruction. One PS said I was a glutton for punishment:( Well all I can say is I am so happy I decided to do it! And I know it is a big and serious surgery but my recovery was easier than my recovery from the mastectomy with the expanders in. You ARE taking us along in spirit. We understand and support you. If it was not for this thread I'm pretty sure i would not have had this surgery!

Another Amy

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited April 2011

I know I wouldn't have had this surgery if it wasn't for this thread. I had never heard of it, and had no idea what I would do for recon but being 34 going without was not an option for me. I am truly blessed to have been introduced to Dr S at NOLA and all the rock stars here for support. My breast surgeon here was so awesome and supportive and said she'd do the exact same thing. However I know a couple family members were not so supportive and it really stinks, that along with the nerves/fear of the unknown really do make you question your choice to travel for this procedure. I had the luxury of meeting Nordy before going to stage 1. It really put my mind at ease to talk to someone in person and see their handy work for myself. You are doing the right thing kaitsmom, if people aren't supportive then for now I wouldn't discuss it further with them, you don't need negativity you need support.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

I get a lot of odd looks and questions about going to NOLA... but I have friends with implants who wish they had done the DIEP and others say "my implants are ok." not a big thumbs up... and other friends in the implant process who can't stand all the doctor trips...so the more I read and listen, the more I am sure this is right.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited April 2011

There is a website called Brava Fat Graft Patients. It is a forum with various discussion threads and photos. You need to request entry from the moderator, which I did because I was interested in learning more about this procedure, also. Mostly it is from patients of Dr. Khouri -- the doctor in Florida that you are referring to. Personally, I found the results to be un-enticing. The fat grafting is preceded by and followed by many weeks of wearing the "Brava", a giant suction-bra device which is used to enhance the space into which the fat will go. It seems to produce a very unnatural shape to the new breast. The lipo does appear "gentle". This does not appear to be of the "sculpting" genre. The before and after areas are almost indistinguishable.  

I have, a few times, talked myself into getting all excited about this -- even considering going for a consult. The idea of no anesthesia and practically no recuperation is so appealing. I also wonder about the long-term outcome. All-in-all, I think the results are disappointing.  My 2 cents...

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

That's right, "the other Amy" -- I remember you going through this too!!! All the questions like you were bananas. This type of thing is, unfortunately, not that uncommon. 

The "Raleigh Amy" - I am out of town this weekend and even leaving work a bit early on Friday. What about lunch Friday 4/15? I need to check my work calendar to be sure that will work. Oiy about the Duke thing is RIGHT (!!!!!), LOL. I'll get with you on FB about lunch date!

Thanks BDavis, for sharing what your PS said.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2011

Kaitsmom - I was very lucky in that my local PS had actually had a patient a few years before me go to NOLA for her surgery. She stuck behind me on every account. My breast surgeon, not so much. She kept trying to get me to wait until they hired a PS for their group and wanted me to see him. He is not big on DIEP, is one of those that says it "might turn into a TRAM flap" kind of guys and really, his forte' is implant reconstruction using Botox to relax the pectoral muscles. NOT FOR ME!!!! I had to battle my insurance companies, I had to travel coast to coast and to the south to have consults with the few docs that were in network that did free flaps. I had nearly given up. The thing is, I didn't realize how sad I truly was without breasts (and concave thanks to the expanders that were in for 18 months) until I started to fill out questionaires for these consults. John Hopkins asked many questions about how you felt about yourself, with clothes on, with them off, in front of the mirror, in front of your spouse/SO. It was then that I realized how sad I was. After all of this, I chose NOLA. They were the only place that could get me a decent cup size from my hips without leaving shark bites in my buttocks. AND they could do it all in one surgery where many places that do SGap require 2 surgeries for bilateral spaced a couple weeks apart. I talked to Marcia (soccermom) on the phone several times and she held my hand from a distance (and still does!). Going to NOLA was hands down the best thing I have done for myself since my diagnosis of cancer. My local PS has been so impressed that she has referred another patient there (over seeing the guy locally that says he can do them as well as another surgeon across the river - which is another state - that has started doing them). My local PS knows what kind of work they do. She is truly impressed. Please do not let the negativity of the uneducated get you down. People think you need to go to the east or west coast to get state of the art surgery. Well, Sandy can tell  you that is not true. I will tell you that is not true. I was diagnosed and treated in Southern Cali. My breast surgeon there refused to send me to a plastic surgeon pre-mastectomy despite my request. I was younger and had a new baby, so reconstruction was not my biggest worry then... but if I knew then, what I know now... I would have gone to NOLA to begin with. It would have saved me countless surgeries and $$.

Okay, anyone bored with my ramblings yet??? 

So... now let me tell you how I really feel... Wink

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited April 2011
    Nordy don't hold back Wink we love your ramblings and everyone else's!!
  • macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2011

I agree the best decision I made was going to NOLA for my surgery. I remember going to sleep with breasts and waking up with breasts that looked pretty much like my old ones. It was a remarkable surgery. I was not in much pain, but was surprised by the fatigue. Each day I felt stronger and stronger. The Drs and their staff are second to none and you are in the best hands.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited April 2011

I discussed with Dr. D the idea of having doing lipo to harvest fat for augmenting flap breast size, and he brought up a very valid reason not to go that route.  If you have a lot of fat harvested in various areas, you will have destroyed potential donor sites for DIEP/GAP, etc.  We weren't even talking about the Brava method, which requires a LOT of fat and would definitely eliminate some potential flap donor sites.  For something that is unproven and a long process, is it really worth it?  Has anyone seen results in person?  Spring is right in mentioning that lipo is very painful and can result in permanent numbness, scarring, dimpling, etc.  It's best done as conservatively as possible so you don't end up like Tara Reid and others who've had problems. The NOLA docs create such beautiful breasts that there's just no reason to look elsewhere.   From L.A., the plane ride to NOLA is 3 hrs. 45 min, and I figured that I'd just be sitting in a chair resting anyway, so what was the big deal about returning home?  With the way our society is so mobile today, there's not much standing in the way of seeking out the very best medical care available, even if in another country.   A shop owner in the French Quarter told me that he flew to Israel for brain surgery, because that's where the best doctor in the world was for his particular needs.  The travel is just not a big deal, and I've had so many fun times in NOLA.  Thousands of us have had surgery with Dr. D and Dr. S now, and they have everything arranged to make it as easy as possible on us. 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited April 2011

Well, we know how far the East is from the West....the NOLA docs are repairing the work of surgeons all over, including some well-known...um, well, that's all I dare say, but my friend "D" on the East Coast has a lot to say about her top NY doc. and I have seen her before and after NOLA photos.  She originally had circular patches of skin patched in from her tummy just like I did, and her surgeon told her that they were put there so he could "monitor the flaps". Dr. D laughed when I told him that and said he could have monitored them from across the street, the circles were so huge! They don't use them in NOLA, just another way they rise above their peers in their quest to make the most gorgeous breasts for us.  Dr. D removed my "circles" and my friend's, and we are so much happier without them.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2011

Rogam - I don't think you need to worry about the docs finding enough fat for the breast size you want, even if you are losing a bit as you prepare for surgery by building up your stamina. They are very good at finding fat for breasts where other surgeons say there isn't enough. These guys can stack it from multiple places, if need be!

All - This has been a great discussion about how we've all had to persevere in the face of naysayers who didn't know what they were talking about or doctor who were more interested in protecting their own turf than they were in our well-being. People think we're nuts to travel to New Orleans for this. But like Sandy said, traveling is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. So you sit on the plane a few hours... small price to pay to be at the best place in the country for breast recon. I'm still amazed I was able to access such excellent care with so little hassle and so short a wait. Twice!

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited April 2011

HELL YEAH!!  COULD NOT SAY IT BETTER MINNESOTA!  I HAVE ALL THE FAITH IN THE WORLD NOW!  SPRING AND WARRIOR WERE MY MENTORS!!  LOVE YOU ALL, HEATHER

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Nordy brings up a good point. My local Docs were very skeptical about NOLA, particularly my ONC's office, and my local BS - who both made my husband so nervous that we went locally to Duke even AFTER I had my surgical appt with NOLA. The doc there said, "They are the experts at GAP" (BC I had so little abdominal fat, he said he could may do one A cup, and I wanted Bilateral). I ended up with Stacked DIEP/lumbar (fat from all around!! C cups!! 2 of them!!!)

Anyway, NOW it's a whole different story. My ONC's office now gives my name/number to women who are not happy about their recon choices locally.  Local docs, all of them are amazed at my results. My RADS onc, "You have a really good cosmetic outcome" . Radiology Doc - brought other women into the room to see she was so blown away and asked for the name number of the NOLA practice because, "we are all at risk". My ONC - "I cannot believe this, Can I touch them?", etc.

SEEING IS BELIEVING. Even the naysayers turn around when they see the results! 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2011

I am sad yet glad that others have experienced the negativity from family and friends regarding going to NOLA. First my surgery was preventative because of the BRCA gene so alot of people thought I was nuts to go thru the surgery and the pain. And I am leaving in about an hour for my 4th surgery but I dont regret it one bit even though I have had several complications. The staff and doctors treat each of us with the compassion that we all deserve. We are  not a number there but rather someone that they are enthusiastic about helping. So I have choose to ignore the questioning comments that friends and family have posed but rather done what I know and feel is right for me and my body.

K9Kim if you get on the thread I will be at the hope lodge and SCSH when you are so look me up.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2011

sally--did you have any trouble getting into Hope Lodge, since your surgeries were not for a cancer diagnosis?

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Sally, Kim is down there now in NOLA, I was chatting with her on FB!!! I hope you hook up!!! 

Good luck tomorrow Kim!!!  good luck Friday Sally!!!!  

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2011

"Can I touch them?" Nordy's onc said. LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited April 2011

Just catching up...SallyM, Kim ...hope all goes smoothly and recovery is a breeze..PLZ give my love to everyone at the Center...

Love you gals!

Marcia

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2011

I am another that got "why in the world would you go there" from local doctors and family members.  The only one I cared about was my DH and after he saw the centers results he was on board.  Now I just get a lot of "WOWS" and "You have no idea how lucky you are", "they look incredible" and a lot of other positive results. 

My oncologist tells me everytime that I have the best nipples he has ever seen which makes me laugh.  He just sing the praises of Dr. Sullivan's work and was thrilled that the guys who advertise in South West are not a bunch of quacks.  My local tatoo guy who Hopkins refers too told me that I have some of the best results he has ever seen. 

It's a leap of faith if you don't go down for a consultation ahead of time and one that I have done.  I talked to Sandy from this thread and after talking to her I knew I had found where I was going.  I went down by myself and yes I was scared but I knew after my year of hell, I had to do it for ME.  My caregiver didn't arrive until after all of my pre-op's and by that time I had been babied by the center and just knew everything was going to be just fine. 

I was someone who was told that I could maybe get to a small B with my belly but most likely an A.  Dr. S did a hip flap and now I am a 36D which fits the look of my body.   

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2011

Yup. I got the "you went where?" comments from practically everyone.  But the ones who were closest to me (my husband, best friend, mother and sister) all felt that you go where the talent is -- and in this case it's New Orleans! 

Even the PS I was going to use in LA w/ TE and implant told me that using your own tissue is ALWAYS preferrable to an implant. But of course he added that he didn't think I had enough fat and anticipated they were going to end up putting in a small implant. That said, I'm a big B and am hoping for a C cup after stage 2. Dr S seemed to think that was a reasonable goal.

That said, to hell with all the naysayers - long live NOLA!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2011

I had no trouble with being allowed to stay at the hope lodge, during all 4 surgeries. Because I am BRCA positive, they consider it a cancer diagnosis although it is not active. I am at the Syracause airport now waiting for my flight. Hope to see Kim while I am there

• Del11
    edited April 2011

I'm once again on the search for a "helper doctor" in Chicago. Had zero luck finding one the first time around and I exhausted all my personal docs and anyone I've ever consulted with. My therapist even called in a favor for me and got a PS to agree to it, but he was less than helpful when I needed him, I ended up going to a wound care clinic just to get a little incision area debrided.  So...

Are there any Chicago gals on here who can loan me their local doc for aftercare?  My next step is to start looking through the yellow pages. Seriously.

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Minn, it was my ONC that said, "Can I touch them??" She was amazed!! (Maybe Nordy's did too?? ha!)

Jesk, can't you just go to your GP? (regular family doc?) 

• Del11
    edited April 2011

No, she flat out declined. I think she's afraid of what it might entail. It's stupid. I diagnosed cellulitis in myself twice and pulled 3 of 4 of my drains.  How hard can it be???