Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2011

Kathryn, Fat necrosis doesn't look like a bruise, or at least mine did not. It feels really hard on the inside and for most it hurts (mine was so small it did not hurt).

If I was you I would call NOLA. This far out, I am sure everything is okay, but I would call to check just in case. You remember in the begining, they are looking to make sure everything is pink and warm...

I wonder if it is just left over bruising? That seems the most likely to me!

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited March 2011

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging words.  You are an amazing bunch of women and such a supportive group.  Thanks, Spring, for leading me in this direction.  

I got a call from Katie today and am starting to make travel arrangements.  About to take a look at tripadvisor for some comments and reviews of the hotels she mentioned to me.  Any thoughts? I have decided we will fly and not deal with driving or renting a car, as I cannot imagine why we would need it anyway.  If I need to go somewhere other than the Center or the hospital, I can take a cab . . .  I hope I feel well enough to do some walking around the Quarter or the Garden District.  I have been down there once and would like to see a little more.  Stage 2 maybe we will drive down.

Here's a little funny - I was asking Katie about wi-fi connections, since my husband will work while we are down there.  He works from home, and so only needs a phone and his lap-top with internet connection.  I asked her if there was somewhere other than my hospital room where he could work from and not disturb anyone, in case I got tired of hearing him talk on the phone all day.  She said we could just put him in a closet or something if he drove me nuts.  I thought that was pretty funny.  She seems to be very sweet, and anxious to help!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2011

Ladies I am back from England and had an amazing time. London is amazing. I think I like it better than NYC, I saw some amazing sights and met some amazing people. Spring my date has changed from April 6 to April 8th  because Dr D had some thing come up. So now I will be in NOLA from the 6th thru the 12th.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2011

Kaitsmom... I chose to go down for a consult because it will only cost me $250 for the flight and a local PS said I didn't have enough fat for two breasts, but I find that hard to believe... This is a prophylactic MX/recon and I want to make sure its the right thing to do and having the doctor put his hands on me rather than look at a photo is more my style... Having the surgery means no radiation, so I need to KNOW that is what is happening and can't be surprised unhappily by showing up for a surgery and then find out it won't work on me...

I went to school in New Orleans and have friends I can stay with so its just a quick trip at low cost for piece of mind.... then I will book my flights for the surgery.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited March 2011

Spring, thanks for the quick answer.  I hate to keep calling the center with all of these questions so I try to store up a few before bugging them....and I just asked a bunch last Friday. At least now I feel a little calmer about the bruising.

Sally, welcome back! I love London too.

Kaitsmom, Katie is great.  My husband is a TV/Film editor and the show he was working on sent the dailies to NOLA so he could work while staying with me...and he could get internet access everywhere in the whole darn place. They think of everything!

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2011

kaitsmom, many of us have stayed at the Homewood Suites which is a few blocks from the french Quarter. It is 2 rooms--a good sized bedroom and then a kitchen/living room which is really nice when you spend a bunch of time in a hotel room!  Also there is a free full breakfast and some nights a free dinner. And your companion can ride the street car from the center to the hotel or even wlak (my husband and son did that twice!)

• kaitsmom
    edited March 2011

KathrynLA, That is great to hear!  I know my husband will need to work, because he will not be able to take that much time off right then, but it will also keep him busy and keep his mind off things. Now to be able to keep my mind occupied . . .

Ladies, I love London, too, and agree with you, Sally, I think I like it better than NYC.  Yes, I am sure I do. In fact, my daughter is currently living there (she is coming home for the month of April for a visit!! yay!!). We were over there at Christmas - it was so special and amazing, and we had a traditional English Christmas with my daughter, her boyfriend and his family.  I guess I love all things English - my best friend is English!  Sally, I'm glad you enjoyed it.  What all did you do?  Oh, and by the way, I see you are from Elmira.  I have family in Big Flats - I am a former Buffalonian.

bdavis, I am a bit worried too as to whether I have enough fat, but the docs looked at the pics and thought I did.  And looking in the mirror, I tend to agree.  I am looking for fairly small breasts - had double Ds before I had my breast reduction, when the cancer was found.  Then had nice size Cs for a month before the MX.  Have had almost Bs since I had the implants done, and am looking/hoping for about the same, or maybe a solid B, no more.   

Ok, back to topic - have any of you stayed at the Hope Lodge?  For how long?  Opinions?  I am considering a couple of nights there beforehand to cut back on the cost.  Then I am looking at Homewood Suites, Hotel Monteleone, or Bienville House.  But dreaming of the Ritz . . . 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited March 2011

kaitsmom - I stayed at the hope lodge for all of stage 1 recovery. For stage 2 I was in much better physical and mental shape and wanted to do lots of site seeing. We stayed 2 nights at the hope lodge, the others in the French Quarter.

I so miss NOLA, and it's only been a few months. I am praying I can make it for the reunion. I'd love to swing a revision in there but not sure how that will work. I am in a temp job right now, that ends in June. Just got an estimate on braces for my girl that's 5400.00, etc.... So money is going to be non existent for me. Plus my job and benefits end in June. 

Anyway, just dropping in to say hello to everyone :)

• kaitsmom
    edited March 2011

So Dragonfly, how do you feel it worked out to stay at the Hope Lodge?  I am still considering it, because that is a lot of money to save.  Do you feel it was "private" enough or did it feel more like you were staying in a dorm, rather than a hotel?  I'm not sure how I feel about the communal living . . .  but saving the money would be nice, as well as having a kitchen.  It sounds like you had your surgery pretty recently.  I hope you are doing well.  Sorry to hear about your job ending.  That's a tough situation to be in with no benefits.  I do hear you about the braces - had them on my daughter for about the same price.  Plus 4 or 5 oral surgeries that were a whole separate fee.  So glad those days are over, though the youngest (18) is haivng wisdom teeth removed this summer, and that's not cheap either . . .

• Dragonfly1976
    edited March 2011

kaitsmom, are you flying or driving there? where from?

I found more comfortable actually at the hope lodge after stage 1. I could go down and eat in the dining room with my drains, bags, hunched over and in my robe and slippers and not care. Our room was great, it was quiet, and spacious. The downside is it's not close to much for food/stores. So you'll have to get a ride or a cab before surgery to stock up on food. But we found it to be comfortable and private and very welcoming. I had stage 1 in September, and stage 2 in November. I'm doing good, and so happy with my decision to go to NOLA for DIEP.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled a couple years ago, not fun :( Make sure they give you a script for antibiotics! Mine didn't and I got a nasty infection. I don't know what I'm going to do about the braces, I feel funny shopping around but I gotta, ya know? 

• Springtime
    edited March 2011

Sally, I updated your date. I love London too, and I like it better than NYC as well. It is not so intimidating! And I found the tube easy to manuver. The subway in NYC is just scary to me! (And I grew up in NJ!!)

Kaitsmom, We always stayed at the Hilton Homewood Suites, so like Amy, that's my suggestion. You get a bedroom with a door and TV in there and bathroom, and you also get a full kitchen and a living room with another TV. The price is about the same as other places, and you get a whole lot more space, this is good if you want to rest in the other room and let your husband work, etc. (Not all int he same room). Free Food! The breakfast and "light supper" Monday - Thursday - you hardly need to buy any other food. A couple of blocks off Canal Street (which is one edge of the French Quarter) so you can walk there from the hotel.  

• Dragonfly1976
    edited March 2011

I guess kaitsmom, it comes down to your budget, and what you want to spend money on? I am a single Mom, no way could I afford a hotel and  I didn't feel up to being out and about for stage 1. So I chose hope lodge. When I went back for stage 2, like I said we lived it up and did tons of site seeing. It's definitely do-able, the hope lodge that is, lots of ladies do it.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2011

Well, the ball is rolling. I decided to have another stage 1 to replace my left side. It's the one that had trouble in my first stage 1 SGAP. It's been over a year and it's still too firm for my liking, and now it seems to be shrinking, so we're starting over on that side. Stacked DIEP tentatively scheduled for August 17 in NOLA. I'm nervous, but trying to be confident that I'll be extremely happy once I'm on the other side. Any ladies who have had both SGAP and DIEP, or have had stacked DIEP, any advice is welcomed!  (Spring: can you add me to the list?)

• bdavis
    edited March 2011

Spring... My consult on May 16 is just with Dr D.. Surgery is with both Drs D and S.

• Springtime
    edited March 2011

Jeskachi I added your date - just let me know later if it changes or anything. You'll do fine! I have stacked (front and back). The only difference is you'll notice at least initially that in the front you'll be hesitent to totally "straighten up" but it passes quickly. Yay for two perfect boobies! 

BDavis, I updated to show just Dr. D for the consult.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited March 2011

K9kim is going to NOLA Sunday for her stage 2 and thyroid surgery!

• kaitsmom
    edited March 2011

Dragonfly - We have decided to fly.  We live In Raleigh, NC, so it would be quite a drive,and I am not sure I could stand to be in the car for that long on the way home.  We found good fares on Southwest that make it almost as cheap as driving, with the current price of gas. We will probably drive down for Stage 2, and maybe make a trip out of it and stop in Mississippi to see some plantations . . . Right now we are thinking of Hope Lodge for the first couple of nights before surgery, and then either Homewood Suites or Hampton Inn near Convention Center for after surgery.  My husband really wants a separate room so that he can work.  Good point about going down to the dining room in Hope Lodge, though.  That is something to think about.  ugh drains  one of the worst parts of the actual MX surgery . . .  I get freaked out even thinking about them.  As you all will come to see, I am more than a bit of a woosie, and cannot even believe I will screw up the courage to do this.    

I was a single mom for awhile as well, I can understand how tough it can be, and I admire you, Dragonfly, going through everything that you have.

Just a quick question/comment - You mention K9kin having thyroid surgery - I haven't read the thread far back enough to know what's going on, or if I did, I have forgotten.  But I feel like I notice more than a few comments about thyroid issues.  And they are currently investigating mine.  Anyone else notice the same thing, or is it just me being sensitive?  Anyway - K9kim, wish you the best . . . 

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2011

Thyroid bx came back benign!  YAYAYAYAY!!!  Now to just get through the vaginal cuff scar tissue removal on the 12th.  After that I just have one more surgery to schedule (eardrum repair) and then I think I should be done FOREVER! 

Still no work on the thigh nodules.  They don't appear on an ultrasound so they are thinking they are just lipomas.  Me and my lumpiness always makes for fun! 

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited March 2011

Spring - Can you add me on for mastectomies & bilat hip flaps with Drs. Stollier, Sullivan and Massey for August 3rd? I check in on this thread sporadically but I think I'll be coming around more now that my surgery is scheduled!

I traveled to NOLA in October for a consultation with Dr. S. I had consulted bilat S-GAP surgeons in NY and DC. Both my husband and I knew the minute the consultation ended that we'd be traveling to NOLA for surgery. We met each other in New Orleans and every time we visit it feels like we're going home so everything about it feels right!

Trishia - you've really been through too much. Smile for benign results!

• Springtime
    edited March 2011

Yay Trisha!!! So glad to hear you are okay!  You just keep livin' it up girl!! Lumps and all!!

Kaitsmom, I live in Raleigh NC too!!  (Amy, is this you??)  I have trouble keeping everyone striaght!!! (all these secret code names!! ha!)

Dragon!!! I don't have K-9 in the list up there!!! Can you tell me her dates and doc or what?? I should add her!  I wonder if she and SallyM will just miss each other?? 

There is another thread on Breast Cancer and Thyroid issues. I am hypothyroid and some feel there is a connection. Who knows! I switched form sythetic thyroid hormone to dessecrated and feel better. I also do the Iodine protocol that you will find on breastcancerchoices.org, just FYI !! 

• kaitsmom
    edited March 2011

Hi Spring!  Yes, it's me - Amy!  Kait(Kaitlyn) is my daughter - age 26 - the joy of my life!  One of these days you and I should meet up for a coffee!  Since we won't meet up in NOLA!  Interesting about the thyroid connection . . .  one more thing for me to google . . .  They are starting to look at whether I am hypothyroid, maybe Hashimoto's - I have a zillion symptoms and my blood work is borderline.  I will take a look at the iodine protocol as well, and if I need treatment, will definitely consider skipping the synthetic.  My body seems to reject stuff that is not natural.  

Trishia, glad your bx came back benign.  Sounds like you have been through the ringer.  Yay for your surgeries being almost all done!   

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

toomuch... It seems few of us actually go down for a consult... out of curiosity, who did you meet in NY and DC? I had considered Dr Chang  in Baltimore and Allen in NY, but NOLA came together with insurance and Allens office hasn't been clear with me about that...

So, to NOLA for my consult in May and surgery is scheduled right before you.. I will have Drs Lagarde, Dellacroce and Sullivan.

Oh... and  I too met my husband in NOLA.

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited April 2011

bdavis - I consulted with Dr. Ahn in NY and Dr. Nahabidian at Georgetown. I also spoke with Dr. Chang's office but he doesn't do a simultaneous reconstruction with a 2nd surgeon in the OR. Since I have a bleeding disorder, the time of surgery is important. I met with Dr. Sullivan. He is the only surgeon that I spoke with that had done the procedure on a woman with my bleeding issues. He spent a lot of time with us, explaining the various flap procedures and answering questions. I am medical but my husband is not and Dr. Sullivan spoke in a manner that my husband could understand but that didn't seem too simplistic to me. He thinks outside the box in how to approach the bleeding issues and that sealed the deal for me.

Ofcourse, I am nervous about having the surgery but I know that I will be in the best hands! I'm sure that you'll feel that way too after your consult. The Breast Center is an amazing place. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Springtime, Her surgeon is Dr D... & Dr Gray is doing the thyroid surgery. This is what her email said:

"Heading back to NOLA on Sunday, they're combining my Stage 2 & thyroidectomy on 4/6. We fly in on 4/3 and fly home on 4/15... Staying at the hope lodge until my post op, then moving to the Bienville House in the Quarter for our last two nights."

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2011

Trishia - so happy for you. What a relief.

Spring - I'm a Jersey girl too. Where are you from?

Oh yes, I'll be a SCSH with Dr S for stage 2.  Stage 1 was Dr S (did the right one) and Dr T (did the left)...and can't tell the difference!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited April 2011

Trishia, just wanted to rejoice with you over your benign result!!!!!!!

I've been on 50,000 IU of Vitamin D per week since December, and just had my level tested.  It is still low (36)!  Apparently the Mayo Clinic did the testing, and they sent me a note to take 4,000 IU per day now.   Something you gals might want to request testing for the next time you have blood drawn....

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2011

Okay, so... am I crazy for going to NOLA in mid-August...? Has anyone here been there around that time?  The idea of sweating with all that healing incision makes me a little nervous.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2011

Yes, you are CRAZY!!!!

But at least you'll have A/C and not be in compression pants! Talk about hot!

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Hi Amy! Yes we should meet and you can ask me a million questions. We are out of town now, but let's do that! 

Dragon, I think I will go ahead and add Kim's dates above, and if she does not want that, let me know (or Kim, if you are reading this on your phone, let me know!!!)  I know she was listed last time so erring on the side of sharing in this case.

Kathryn, My family now live in East Windsor and Heightstown NJ (near Princeton) and most of us are graduates of Rutgers (my DH and I, my Dad, sister...) and I grew up in a very small town, one square mile, called Dunellen. How about you?? My husband grew up in Tenafly, more north outside of NYC.

Sandy, I was on 5K Vit D for a long time and still in the mid ranges (50's) and my osteopath felt it would be safer for me to be higher. So I have been on 10K per day (5K 2x during the day). I wonder if it will have budged next time I have my blood work done!!!

Jesk - I had surgery in eary Sept. It's hot and humid, but still fun!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2011

Trishia~ Awesome News!!!  I am glad you are just b9 bumpy.  Your next surgery DOES NOT sound like fun at all.