Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2011

Nipples are stage 2. For me they came at stage 2c (i had 4 revisions due to local PSs incompetence in stage 1).

At Nola they don't graft but rather take them from the skin of the flap itself. Bdavis have you thought about nipple sparing on your prophy side only? The docs do biopsy under the nipple at time of BMX. Or perhaps you could do areola sparing? My understanding is that you get a very nice result if the nip can be built from the areola. Anyway I only bring it up as losing the nipples was the hardest part for me. I also would have gotten rid of the nipple on the bad side but had I been a candidate I definitely would have at least considered prophylactic nipple sparing or at least areola sparing. May be worth asking the docs about. Good luck you are in great hands!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited April 2011
    Re: Nipples.  Dr. D made me a pair of nice little nipples at Stage 2.  I'm not a picture forum poster but in the interest of helping anyone, I might be able to muster up a nipple photo if anyone is interested in the end result about a year out.  PM me.  I don't have my tattoos yet but it may give you an idea of what to expect.  I know this stuff is difficult to picture.  Btw, I am delayed recon - bilateral SGAP flaps and the nipples were made from the flap skin ... drawn up with a million sutures... looks crazy at first but sutures dissolve and the end result is pretty nice....amazing that they can even do it (I think)....Smile
  • Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2011

Thanks everyone! It was a normal day, my husband was gone playing (like normal) and so all was status quo. However, I knew it was a special day and was happy to be surviving!

Nipples - they don't use tissue from elsewhere, they just snip and sew and fold skin up from your flap (or remaining skin if you were skin sparing) like origomi, and voila: a new nipple! 

Cider - You will be great. You are allowed to mourn the loss of your breasts, but I am always so jealous (and HAPPY for) of the girls that start out at NOLA. My results are wonderful, but when you go there from the very start - you have that much better outcome. I went there after failed tissue expanders and then being flat/concave for a year. I have to tell you, for me, having breasts again has been life changing. It just helps you to feel that much more "normal"! 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2011

Hi Cider. Welcome! I had my stage 1 three months ago. Like you I was immediate reconstruction and did go to sleep with breasts and wake up with new ones (albiet different ones but breasts just the same.)  I'm also going to be down there when you are. It looks like we may all be meeting up on the 17th. Let's PM and we can talk more about the whole experience.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

CanDsMom... Yes, I am a candidate BUT my local BS and MO say that if I am going through all this to get the % as low as possible why play with fire... They all told me that there would be a biopsy if I nipple-spared and the liklihood of nipple cancer is very low, but thought I should have the nipple off based on MY goals regardless... I know they are not the be all end all, but they are the team in my court...Remember, they think I should just have rads and call it a day... so they think I am sort of jumping through unnecessary hoops... but if I am going to jump, jump high... Of course I will have my consult with Drs Dellacroce and Stolier on the 16th and get their opinion.

• CandDsMom
    edited April 2011

Just thought I would put it out there, but I definitely understand - it is all about what we are each individually most comfortable with.  I know my BS thought I was nuts for taking the other side as a prophylactic (hard to believe given I had multifocal/multicentric intermediate to high grade ER PR (-) DCIS with necrosis at age 34?) but I did it anyway, and was glad I did - the prophy side had ductal changes as well on final path.  "There is data, and then there is life" is what my OB GYN told me - she was in full support of doing the BMX.

Anyway, you will like Dr. DellaCroce - he is a very kind man. And the facilities and staff are wonderful.  Definitely check back in with a shoe report :) 

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

Hmmm.. I have heard about the shoes... Maybe I can take a picture.

• CandDsMom
    edited April 2011

Can I redirect back to tattoos?

Thoughts? Feelings?

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

I read about Vinnie and saw his pics... looks amazing.

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2011

I checked out Dr D.'s shoes before my surgery but unfortunately it was after the " relaxation shot" so all I remember was they were like a army green color but not the square toe. Sorry nothing exciting

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited April 2011

Nordy - Wishing you gazillions more years with "normal" days!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2011

Sally, are you still deflating on the side that was giving you trouble??

• CandDsMom
    edited April 2011

Just posted "final" pics on picture forum. Just wanted to say thanks so much to everyone for all your support and advice :)

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it! 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2011
    Both sides are back to normal in the AM but swelling occurs during the day. I took the DOM outfit off tonight for a bit but things still feel "jigglie" on the inside.( they redid my donor site incision)  So should I contiunue the 24/7 DOM outfit?? I am 15 days out. Thanks
  • Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited April 2011
    kaitsmom  my first time around I had lumpectomy and rads only.  was small, so we felt comfortable with that at the time...er/pr+ so I took tamoxifen for 5 years.  Second time was also small but was er/pr- and her2+++.  Also, even though my second bout of cancer, I had actually had one previous surgical biopsy that was negative.  Anyway, after it came back after 8 years, was an agressive cancer, knowing I had lost my sister to BC, and that cancer was definitely in my family even though BRCA was negative (I agree with you holtbolt, that there are genes that the BRCA does not test for).  Anyway, with all that....and two grandbabies I want to see grow up, it was the right decision for me.  It is a big decision, but for me? It was a no-brainer.  I also felt that if there was a chance I could get it a "third" time, and might lose the other breast eventually anyway, I figured I was better off to just go thru the surgeries once and get it over with.  Good luck with your decision, and know we are here no matter what you decide.
  • Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited April 2011

kaitsmom - just reread your questions...  forgot to say that both times my cancer was found by mammo.  Was too small to be felt.....

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited April 2011

Nordy...I posted on FB, but LOVE YOU GIRL!  Here's to 60 cancer free years!!

Nipples..IMO are a MUST do!  They are truly the cherry on top or the bow on the package.  I went nippleless for 16 years when I had implants.  Once I had them, I couldn't believe how much more 'real' they felt. Dr. S made mine during stage 2 and one of them almost died, but made it with a lot of doctoring at home.  It is a little flatter than my right side.  My right side is PERFECT. 

I went back to NOLA and had Donn tattoo them.  For those of you going to down for your mx's...take a picture of your nipples now!!  Donn asked me if I had a picture for color or size.  I didn't.  I did order to the stick on nipples off amazon so I could play with location and size.  I actually had my hubby decide on the color.  I cannot imagine not having them.  They are like the final brush strokes on Dr. S's beautiful work. 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited April 2011

Trishia, I had opted for no nipples but now wanting them done. Do you think my insurance will cover them since I didn't do them in stage 2?  I did send Stacy pictures this weekend for asking about reducing the left side again a little more because it's still larger than the right, and adding the nipples. Hope that I can get the insurance to cover it. It's a different insurance now than when I did stage 1 & stage 2.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2011

Dragonfly - I would think that insurance would cover it because it is part of your reconstruction to have nipples. But nothing surprises me anymore... I would think most insurances would have to cover it!

Trishia - and everyone - Thanks for the cancerversary wishes!!!

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited April 2011

Headed to NOLA Wednesday.  Be in touch with you all on this thread.  Thanks for everyone's support and advice.  It has been a roller coaster ride!  Love, heather

• CandDsMom
    edited April 2011

good luck Heather!!!

(((hugs)))

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Thanks Nordy, I certainly hope you're right, I knew I should have done it the 1st time I was there for stage 2. But this way I'll  get the revisions I want such as making the left breast smaller and praying for more LIPO ;) I have to send new pics to Stacy because she wants them just like the ones they do there. Wish me luck!! My insurance ends in May or June so wanting to jump on the chance.

My fear with the nipples still remains the same as it did when I went last time. What if they flatten out, or don't  turn out right? Then what? It's another process and trip down there? What are the odds/percentage of them being good? Silly I suppose but....

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Ok, one other thing. You ladies will probably think I'm crazy but I was wanting some ideas. I don't really want to go with the whole original tattoo around the nipple part. I want something wild and crazy and fun! I saw a lady on that tim tams site or somewhere that had these cute flowers done but I want a real creative design...

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2011

Dragonfly - Insurance is to cover, by law, surgery to attain symmetry. As long as you're there for that, adding nips should be a breeze. BTW, yes, they do tend to get flatter over time, but that doesn't mean they ever look bad or have to be redone. Some of us have had them redone only because we wanted the projection to feel more substantial (they feel pretty soft), but there still is definitely projection. I think the odds are pretty much 100% that they'll be good and you'll be very happy with them!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Thanks Minnesota!! I am hoping additional lipo will be covered as well, not mainly for looks but. My upper stomach is still larger and it really slopes inward as it gets down to the scar if that makes sense. So my pants I can't find any to fit, that don't slide down then rub right on my incision, and I end up having this big baggy crotch with a bunch of extra material. It's aggrivating. I don't know if the lipo would help but worth a shot I suppose.

• CandDsMom
    edited April 2011

Dragonfly- did the Dr say if he thought plication was indicated at your first stage 2? I had the exact same problem and that helped. The upper abdomen lipo also helps, but I have been in a marena 2nd stage compression high waisted panty at least at night since November.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

I don't remember the term plication being used for my surgeries at all. Did you have it done? I really need something done, but don't know the insurance will fill the same. I love my DOM outfit from NOLA, but the zippers are a pain and it's a bit bulky. If I go without I can totally tell though so it's a battle.

What are you having done at stage 2C?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2011

Dragon, there was a lady here that got Sea Shells for her tattoos in NOLA!!! So I am sure Donn would love doing something "else"! :)

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

seashells is a great idea, I just want something so freakin awesome that makes up for all the crap :)

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2011

CandDsMom- do you like the "panty" version better than the "thigh shaper" version? I'm considering the legless one because of summer, but not sure if it will create unsightly bulges at the leg openings.