Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2011

Yep I had the plication. I also had nips finally done at 2C about 2 weeks ago (which was actually revision #4 - so maybe it should have been 2D LOL). I started out somewhere else for stage 1 which was a disaster, so that's why the numerous revisions.  Definitely check out the high waisted Marena garments. They are $$$ (unless you can find them on ebay) but last forever and are super comfortable. The online sizing for Marena is really off IMO though. I ordered what they recommended based on the chart and it was HUGE! So now I am in one size down from my smallest Veronique DOM. I like the high waist bike short style girdle that they have too. No zippers :)

• CandDsMom
    edited April 2011

Brenda - I have like 4 pairs of the high waisted panty version. I LOVE THEM. No bulges either. The only thing I do notice is that I need to take them off and switch into the bike short/leg shaper version at night otherwise I get irritation at the thigh creases.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited April 2011

Thanks so much CandDsMom, I've checked into those some and really debated. Can you exchange if they don't fit? I was floored after stage 2 when I woke up in a DOM size 5, I thought that was huge. I had them send me a size 4 after the swelling went down. I think it's too big now too which is good, but I still feel so much better wearing something. I'll check out the one you're referring too on the marena site. What do you think of the nips and how they turned out?

Also what exactly again is the plication, only can be done at stage 1? Are you still having the upper abdomen problem like I am?

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited April 2011

I second that question - what is plication?

• CandDsMom
    edited April 2011

don't worry about the DOM sizing - I also woke up in a 4 which I was shocked at. Now wearing a 3 in DOM and a 2 in Marena second stage garment (1 in first stage Marena garment). They do let you return but you have to be pretty careful about how you pull apart the packaging - they have several levels of return depending on if you opened the package or not...I think their website has more information about return polices though...

My upper abdomen problem is gone I am happy to report :)

• CandDsMom
    edited April 2011

plication is where the rectus muscles are sewn closer together.

It hurts like a mother, but it makes your stomach FLAT!

• CandDsMom
    edited April 2011

I had it done in revision #2 in November. The downside: more JP drains, yuck.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

So it is something they could do if I am able to come back? I just don't know if lipo will fix the problem well enough? So if I'm in a 4 DOM now, I'd order a 3 in the marena outfits? ha ha hurts like a mother, I love that term and can so relate! I hate the drains, but I hate more the way my upper belly looks right now!

• CandDsMom
    edited April 2011

I'd ask the Dr about the plication, I don't know if it is needed for everyone? I think in my case since I got really really large during pregnancy I stretched a lot so that's why they did it but don't know if this is the only reason to do plication?

They did completely re-open my abdominal incision to do it though which sucks (although was ok when I had it done since they neatened my incision up and moved it waaay down - I now have a surgical bikini line LOL).  Not sure if everyone's abominal incision got opened all the way up to do plication too? Maybe some of the other ladies can comment

The upper abdominal lip helped alot though too.

As far as the Marena, that is what worked for me to order a size down as you mentioned but definitely check w/ them re: return options since I'd feel pretty bad if you were stuck with garments that didn't fit based on my recommendation. I haven't had a problem with returns but haven't returned anything since this fall once I figured out how the sizing ran for me.

I like the stage 2 garments the best and usually switch over to them by about week 3 postop (the dom is just more comfy initially for me with the zippers, etc)

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Thanks so much for all the help. I did post on the "ask the doctor" site about what options are best for revisions and the upper abdominal and mentioned lipo. So we'll see what he has to say.

I remember also looking at the high waisted things and wondered how high up will they come, and if it would be enough to address the issue.

• CandDsMom
    edited April 2011

I am 5' 7" and high waisted panty comes to 1-2 inches under boobs (doesn't interfere with under breast incisions though). The wide waistband elastic is really good and it stays up for the most part.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011
    Perfect, I'm a little shorter about an inch or so. Thanks for your help Smile
  • BTJ
    BTJ Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2011

There are so many amazing women on this site.  My thoughts and prayers go out to each of you and just reading is helping me a lot.

I was diagnosed with DCIS with comedonecrosis on Nov 11th.  I went to Boise; St Lukes' is great!

I had a core needle biopsy (12 sites with 10 g needle), met with a surgeon, plastic surgeon and radiation oncologist, had MRI, enhanced views showing a new area of concern.  Surgeon said he would take larger lumpectomy but I was good candidate for brachytherapy. All this in one day.  I would have to drive 4 hours each day for radiation treatments in the winter when the time came and I live in mountainous NE Oregon....we have snow.

Decided to get a second opinion so I went to Portland, Oregon (I live in a small town in Eastern Oregon mountains, 3 hours from Boise, 5 from Portland.)  Dr. Nathalie Johnsons' name kept coming up with amazing testimonies about the caring team approach to the disease.  So I made and appointment and saw her. I was pretty amazed I got in so quickly but it happened. She felt it was importand to find out what the other areas were so I had another xray guided biopsy...results fine.  I have a lumpectomy on Dec 10th and had a spacer placed for the radiation brachytherapy...5 days 2x a Day, then done.  I loved this.

On Monday I saw my radiation oncologist so he could check the space holder and they did CT scans to make sure I had enough tissue connected to skin to handle the intense radiation.  We scheduled 4pm on Tuesday to put in the Mamosite in which the radioactive material would be placed twice a day for 5 business days (off weekends).  Tuesday came and I'm a bit worried about the Mamosote replacememt, low pain tolerance, sore breast.  My husband had gone back home and I was staying with BFF  (I am 58 and have BFF's) and we had gone to the hairdresser and to do a little shopping.  While she was getting her hair cut I decided to call the radiation oncologist and find out if we had the pathology results back.  He said yes we did, but they were not what we had hoped for.  He asked me to come in as soon as I could and told me I have multifocal disease, all margins had cancer and a small tumor of 4mm was found that was a different type of invasive cancer.  He removed the spacer and sent me back to Dr. Johnson So, now I no longer could have a lumpectomy and brachytherapy...now I am having a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction using expanders and implants.  My surgery is scheduled for Dec 30th  with a sentinel node biopsy  (they did not do one early because they felt my cancer was so early and so contained) and they told me to expect to stay in the hospital overnight....be at my BFF's house to ring in the new year!  Wait for pathology for nodes and pray they're clear!

My left breast is fine.  Looks great...58 years old, but good for it's age. I like it, I'd like to keep it.

My surgeon recommends a single mastectomy with a lift in the good breast to lessen the age difference of the two.  I think I like the sound of this and then I go back to....well if you're going to have all that pain and there is a 20% chance in 20 years that you'll get cancer in the good breast then why not just have a double which would be more intense recovery but at the end it would be all done and matched and no pain/surgery until the implants need to be replaced.

I decided on the single mastectomy (right side) and am scheduled on May 10th to have my expander removed and a silicone implant placed in the right breast.  The left breast...the natural one...I had planned a lift but now I am making myself crazy wondering if I should just keep the normalcy of have a normal breast...feeling, sensation, appearance. With a bra on or a bathing suit I think I would look virturally normal.  My husband and I would be the only ones to see me naked (unless I get an overwhelming desire to get opinions from a couple of BFF's)  I have seen some horrible reconstruction photos but my plastic surgeon has done amazing things.  I keep thinking if I don't do the lift on my good breast and I decide I don't like it; I can always lift or have another mastectomy but if I do a life and lose nipple/breast sensation I will be very disappointed.

Has anyone out there been through this same thing? My ps said that about 80% of women who have a life on the good breast come back a few years later for a mastectomy since that breast continues to age...aka...sag.  I like sag..I am 58 and love my breasts.

Good Samaratin Hospital has an amazing approach to cancer...maybe all cancer  centers do.  I have a surgeon and PA that are available and return phone calls. I have a Nurse Navagator who I can call about anything.  I have free access to mental health professionals, free massage, free library.  My surgeon has a PA that works 24 hours a day from what I can tell.  I have a lifestyle therapist who has given me guided meditation cd's, been with me at my procedures...even rearranging her schedule when she got the results of my path report so she could be with me.  A scheduler, a medicalist, a plastic surgeon and radiation oncologist that apparently talk to each other many times every day.  I am luck to have this amazing team.  I know there are some I have left out because, I don't know why, but my brain/memory has gone to mush with this overload of information and the number of decisions I'm facing. 

It Meditation helps calm my head and center my spirit but so far has not helped in making a decision.  If my sentinel nodes come back positive for cancer should I definitely have a double mastectomy...I want to scream.  I have a wonderful husband who is so supportive and a group of women friends that held each other up when one stumbles and I feel like I've falling into a crevasse.  Any info appreciated.  Blessings to all you brave women...we are amazing creatures!

I am taking Arimidex and having some pretty intense side effects; hot flashes, fatigue, headaches, brain fog, forgetfulness, mood swings, feel like an alien has taken over my body and mind.  I am getting accupuncture for symptoms but there is no cancer support group here in my tiny town of 12,000.  Any suggestions appreciated.  I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong place!

BTJ
    Diagnosis: 11/11/2010, DCIS, Stage II, Grade 2, ER+/PR-
  • CandDsMom
    edited April 2011

Hi Dragonfly - here is the "high waisted" panty I like:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-97-2nd-stage-girdle-with-no-legs.aspx

For some reason I can't find the "bike short" one that I ordered before on the website. It is high waisted with short legs but the legs go down to above the knees not mid-thigh. huh. weird. 

BTJ welcome - you may want to consider posting in the stage 1-2 breast cancer forum too. (((hugs)))

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

oh I like that one better, I don't necessarily need the leg one. It kind of looks funky with my work pants anyway :)

• CandDsMom
    edited April 2011

this may be TMI - DH calls the high waisted panty my "crotch bra" 

I thought it was funny anyway :P

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2011

Heather - good luck. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2011

For those who had a bilateral DIEP how long from the time or surgery until the return to a job?  Just wondering.....I just got my FMLA paperwork back and it states 6 weeks.  Will I be ok to go back to work in 6 weeks?

• Snobird
    Snobird Member Posts: 34
    edited April 2011

I had a BMX/DIEP Early Dec 2010 and although I didn't go back to work, I was downhill skiing everyday as of Jan 9, 2011. I skied 6 out of 7 days for the remainder of the month and then I was back to work in Feb. I was driving my car short distances a 2 weeks out. Drove from NY to CO with my husband at the end of Dec. and drove back to NY at the beginning of Feb. I was X-ctry skiing and snomobiling most of Feb and into Mar. You should not have any problem going back to work after 6 weeks.

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2011

I hope i bounce back like you.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2011

Hi BTJ, 

That is a lot of typing you did there! This particular board is for women doing natural tissue reconstruction like DIEP and GAP. But some of us did start out with implants that ended up not working for us. Not sure you want to hear about THAT right now!!! :)  

Tig - I needed 8 weeks after my stage 1 but I had 4 flaps (2 belly 2 butt) and there is no way I could have skiid or anything as soon as Sno. Everybody is different. BUT, I think that for a regular DEIP, the standard time off is about 6 weeks. I too think you will be fine!

HEATHER!!! THE TIME IS ALMOST HERE!!!!!!! You must be so excited! :)  Soon it will be behind you! :)

DRAGON - the Marena I got went up HIGHER than that in the waist. Higer like right under the boobs. I felt I needed that. it is a fabulaous garment. I so wish I had known about it for Stages 1 and 2!!  (I got it for my 2B).  

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Springtime, do you know which item it is, the name or item #?

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

By the way, speaking of garments, I know women have written a lot about yoga pants... well.. as we approach summer I was looking for a summer version, and found a shorts version of yoga pant that is SUPER SOFT and comfy at Target of all places... in their athletic section... and only $14... They have a wide "waist band" and I use the term loosely... Thought I'd share :)

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

I love mine that are similar from old navy. Pockets are a must for me, especially with the drains they came in handy!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2011

for you summer girls... Old Navy has those short-sleeved zip hoodies again. I just stocked up :)

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

Between July in New Orleans and my inferno-like hot flashes, I need really really cool clothing... I am already practically naked.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited April 2011

Dear dear ladies, Please add me to the list! I have been given the date of May 12 for removal of my gummy bear ( cohesive silicone gel -- still only available as part of investigational protocol) implants and then bilat DIEP.  Dr S is primary, Dr. D co-surgeon. I am shaking in my boobies!!! Sooo petrified.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2011

Jerusha - And you will do SO awesome!!! And pretty soon it will be your boobies that will be shaking!

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited April 2011

Aw, thanks Nordy. After a year of having these solid rocks cemented to my chest, that is such a lovely thought. Who would ever have thought that jiggle or no jiggle could mean so much!