Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited October 2009

Spring, your the best......thanks for your kind acceptance and the grea job you are doing!  Linda

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2009

Gosh lovelies, Thank you- thank you- thank you!  I am ever so happy to be 45!  EEKS  did I just say 45...thank god for immaturity!  So much to comment on.

Mel, I love ALL cake...a personal problem, but do love all the carrot, pumpkin, spice, ooh white chocolate too and gosh I love that white cake w/ white frosting....subliminal wish I was getting married?  maybe someday....and he'll never know about the missing ducts and lobules!  except I'm so gushy I know I'll tell!  That was going to be my affirmation ...."My next torrid affair-Or husband to be will not know I had mastectomy and recon"...I know they won't either!

Sandy, I love it...YES, symbolism...I brought home I can't tell you guys how many fleur de lis suncatchers and christmas ornaments.  Need to replenish.  Also St Louis cathedral had SAt. Agatha medals for 1.50.  This is popular too esp for my nurse friends as she's also patron saint of nurses.  Will do the for the cure stuff in a few more weeks too...Have a gift room that is getting a bit low.  But so nice to have a solid thank you memento for all my special helpers.  I got a voodoo doll for my counselor that is "God of straighten her out"  What a riot!  Marie Laveau?   LOL.....I had my last counselor sesssion by phone tues as I've been intermittently back on pain meds so no driving.  You gals will have such a great trick or treat! you're going early yes?  Fun, fun, fun!  But I REALLY look forward to the trick or treaters here...Oh man you guys my deco over the top...I repaired 3 dollar toys from big lots last pm......I HAVE to stop!

The yoga plan sounds good.

OH GIRLS!   I got an e-mail from Kathy Steligo yesterday(reply to my THANK YOU e-mail) and my 5 copies came in the mail yesterday too!  I feel VERY special.  What a class act!  and WHAT a thrill!  HBD to me!

I'm flying in 12/8 and fly home 12/14 to not have to jack w/ sunday airport cluster.  I'm into take it easy mode this time.  My helper Jackie will be in 12/9 afternoon.  I don't have my flight tickets yet but probably need to get going on that.  Maybe able to do AA frequent flier and Jackie likes to come out on SW.  My rates are the same Mel....both hotel and air...so far...I think you may barely be over the dates gosh darnit!  Let me know if I can do anything...anybody need an overnight whatever in DFW lemme know K?

Speaking of air...can't remember who...somebody in the pacific NE......AA and Komen have something...check it out on AA website or Komen....doesn't hurt to check!

ok, better go get ready for mass!  You're all in my prayers, xoxo,

jenniferjane

• plainjane64
    edited October 2009

Oops...almost forgot BEAUTIFUL fleurs from my sister(who had DCIS) and her husband and 25 yr old daughter......They're So happy for me, only a phone call away...I called 3 times and left 3 messages...LOL!!! it's ok...the fleurs LOVELY!

• plainjane64
    edited October 2009

Happy, good info...Allen was the pioneer?  Most of our docs were his students.....bizarre relationship......none of my business but even my local PS's seemed to have an inklling of a falling out of sorts....who cares?  we all benefit....people have interpersonal stuff...just happens, just life.  I SO hope I get to meet Dr. Massey too.  I met all 3 of the others at CRBS.  I think my LE will resolve....I'm staged at 1 but pray it will stop, get under control...and is starting too... dunno...maybe as Nordy said some of us just unfortunately juicier than others...wait and see, vamos a ver, meanwhile do all the other stuff, deep breath, spirometer, elevate, compress, etc, etc. 

OK, I'm really stopping...I've been monopolizing this thread!  sorry

Dejaboo...where are you?

• plainjane64
    edited October 2009

Oops, I did get a bday and get well card from the center too...NICE touch!

ok, later today...much later sorry!

Dejaboo I meant where do you live...the beach?  Great pictures!

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2009

Thanks for the info ladies. I had my niece nurse Kat remove the stitches underneath my breasts that were irritating me and I just couldn't reach. She also gave me a care package of extra pads and iodine swabs since I had run out. She is the best.

I went to my first excercise class yesterday. Wow it was really hard, I had to use the lowest tension bands but it was good to get those arms moving again and it actually helped reduce some swelling in my armpit area that had been bothering me.

• macksix6
    edited October 2009

Jennifer I am so happy that you have finally let your family in on your big secret. You are one brave gal to have gone through all of this on your own. Your family will all be there for you as you move forward.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited October 2009

Happy Birthday Melanie and Jennifer...even if a little belated!!!!

It's my busy time of year so I will be hit and miss on here.  I am glad you are are going to get fixed up Ginnie.   400 cc's is just crazy!  Wishing you a safe trip and a speedy recovery this go around!

I get to hook up with Jennifer in December!  Woohooo!!!  I know we are going to have a ton of fun.  She is high energy like me, so my husband is in a world of trouble!  I think we will take over Magazine street on the 9th! I have Christmas shopping to do!  NOLA goodies for everyone! 

There are several of you ladies who are going to be down there at that time...let's try and all hook up!!!  

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2009

Arghhhhh... I am so sad that I let my surgery date go in December! My husband's insurance is changing at the first of the year and our OOP for out of network is more than doubling!!!! I have to try to call and see if anything else is available in December. Arghhhhh!!!

Stephanie - are you holding off stage 2 until the first of the year, or are you heading down in Dec. also?

Jennifer - You are so funny girl... you are in 5th gear!!!

LindaG47 - my girlfriend used Dr. Massey in SC and she absolutely loves her. She was unilateral so didn't need assist of any of the other microsurgeons there, so I can't give any input on them! My friend just loved SC and the Charleston area, she was there for stage 2 also. Now I think she is headed to NOLA w/me for nipple reconstruction (Dr. Massey didn't do it during Stage 2 because she did a reduction on the non-mastectomy side and revisions on the reconstructed side and wanted to see how they heal up and fall to make sure the nipple is even with the other one!) Although Dr. Sullivan is my primary, I saw Dr. Massey a TON in New Orleans since we already had a connection through my friend and previous phone conversations much earlier in the year. She will take good care of you. 

• Nordy
    edited October 2009
    Ahhhhh... jucilicious!!!! Is that a word? I think I am rather juicy - I just had 63cc pulled from my LEFT hip and another 40 from my right - and now have a teeny weeny little drain in my right hip again. AND my PS here is going to place the other one in my left on Thurs. Does the fun never end????? LOL       I think my PS thinks I am super woman because I have stood every time she has drained me and read stories to my little ones... funny that sometimes the pitch of my voice gets higher depending on what is happening to my backside! Well, here I am - rolling with the punches... someday my butt will stop producing fluid... I hope it is in this century! Undecided
  • Trishia
    edited October 2009

I think you should get some sweats that have the "Juicy" logo on the butt!!

So glad you are able to take this all with such grace and humor.  Here's to a NON FLUID filled week!! 

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2009

Sorry to hear you had to be drained again Nordy!

Hope those new little drains will do the trick & finish this off soon.

Did you check to see if they can get you back in for stage 2 in Dec?

Any word from Gin?

Jennifer,  I wish I lived on the beach.  That was vacation on Sanibel Island. I am in Minnesota.  This Oct we have an all time coldest Oct on Record so far. (actually the picture of me & my daughters is in Duluth)

Pam

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

Hey Pam - I am going to call tomorrow and see what can be done given my insurance fiasco. Will let you know what I find out.

Juicy sweats... I looked! The cheapest I found were $128... for SWEATS???? LOL... I must be missing something. Does Juicy Couture make better sweats than normal? LOL... I think I could just write it on there myself... LOL... if I were that talented...and if I thought that sweats were real clothes... LOL

• Trishia
    edited October 2009

$128 for sweats?  Are you freaking kidding me???  Heck, I'll design an iron on and send it to you for half the price...LOL!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2009

American Airlines is flying planes with pink ribbons, and if you happen to be in Chicago in October, both O'Hare and Midway airports both display huge pink ribbon light displays every year---I was in awe of all of the support for this disease when first diagnosed.

• plainjane64
    edited October 2009

Yall are so funny!  Juicy!  Nordy....so sorry dear....rats!.......So I had LE monday....uuuuh yesterday?...I've been up since 3am....uuuggg....actually I was talking w/ someone I'm infatuated w/ who is currently in Paris....He is from there and he is so hot but I'd still pick a British accent over french....ok, ok sorry.................So LE therapy made things better and it really IS getting better.  Did a few errands, came home and colored my hair....the roots at least...so I'm moving pretty good armwise, everything wise....MADE myself walk 30-45 minutes the last 2 days.  Would have worn a HR monitor but no room! w/  binder, bike shorts, bra, etc .....don't think I could have done the haircolor stuff last week,(w/ all that extra fluid and pain)even tho I needed to.  I'm thinking today maybe the magical day for my one and only belly drain to be removed. I'm outta antibiotics this eve anyways and being 4 wks exactly I'm expecting a call from Melissa or Stacey or whomever.  If no call I'll call them by noon....10 to 15 cc's the last couple days W/ walking and LE therapy.

I loved the first wkend in Oct all the football players w/ all the pink stuff....pink shoes and all.  I was watching the Today show the other day and there was discussion.  All this breast cancer research is great...early detection is great.....but this next generation of Md's etc need to really start putting focus into taking it a step further...Is it food additives, hormones, animal products?    All the research is so very treatment based....and there is so much money in it...Thank God....But seriously I genuinely hope it goes to more identification of cause and prevention......since those are big mysteries currently yet there is a lot of unconventional info that may be merit worthy.  Ok, enough.  I think I'm going back to bed.

• plainjane64
    edited October 2009

Dejaboo....Sanibel island...wanna go there...My oldests sister REALLY wants to go there and she is not in the greatest of health.  Wow....Minnesota...yes, keep hearing everyone colder this yr...mel said snow there? predicted and I know my girlfriend and her husband whose retirement home in Utah,,....the natural snow ski slopes near Eden Utah are supposed to be ready at T-giving....that is unheard of.  we're below normal here too.  Wow, global warming?  hahaha.......there was that second ice age or really cold period a few hundred yrs ago....history channel stuff...i should realy stop since I really don't know enough about any of this to be blabbing.  Ok, I'm going back to bed.

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited October 2009

Hey Gals -

We are having a PINK OUT Here at work today!  Very Cool!

Nordy - YOU. ARE. HILARIOUS. 

And for you gals that need that extra special T Shirt that says just the right thing for not too too much money, check out Choiceshirts.com...you can make you own shirt, say whatever you want, choice of colors, font...everything.  This is where I got my  "SPECTACULAR" shirt, Spectacular is strategically place over the new ta ta's that I have.....some of you may remember that Seinfeld episode where Elaine describes her breasts as SPECTACULAR!  Also when my co-workers sent out an email after my diep surgery at NOLA...the emails simply said, Melanie's surgery is complete, the girls are SPECTACULAR!  What a hoot.  Have a great day ladies.  And I am with you all, just love all the pink.....before diagnosis I did not appreciate as much as do now.  xxoo Mel

• plainjane64
    edited October 2009

I'm so glad you got the SPECTACULAR tshirt!  Yes, the pink used to annoy me....when  I was in the bitter angry phase..like midway thru rads...but I love it now.

BIG NEWS!  I just pulled my drain  woo hoo!  I got off the phone w/ Melissa and it's done!  Oh I think (pray) think it will be a good thing!  4 weeks today and I took the last antibiotic this am.  Next week when Melissa calls me we will get my disability/med leave prolonged...I think thru mid nov....could probably physically be pretty close to ready but I don't have to so I'm not pushing it.  I think I'm starting to have those weird nerve pains/sensations.

Anybody heard anything about Ginnie?

Trishia we are so going to have fun!  I'm still on a mission for those shoes too...need to look at bandolino website too.  OK remind me...will I have drains after stage 2?  I know sore, bruised, swollen but still comparatively better shorter recovery than stage 1.  Trishia send me a link to your passion party...??? am I saying that right...is that what's keeping you busy and making  extra bucks?

Nordy, what will the girls(your daughters- not your breasts) be for trick or treat this year?

Better go walk before dark.  Later ladies!

• macksix6
    edited October 2009

Nordy sorry to hear that you had to have a small drain put in. Hopefully this will be the last of it. Don't worry about the insurance thing, you know that the center will work with you. Just call them up and explain your situation.

I don't have a date for my stage 2. Liz is working on it. If I can't get in around the week of Dec 14th I will wait until Jan or Feb.

Anyone hear from Ginnie. Hope all went well.

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited October 2009

Hi Girls..sorry I haven't been around but I spent some time in Florida. My siblings and I all surprised my Mom by showing up on her doorstop. We are lucky she didn't have a heart attack! lol  I am now back in Michigan and trying to catch up!

I hit my six week mark on Friday so today I vacumned the steps and all the bedrooms. Then, this afternoon, my armpit on the cancer side began to hurt. It feels like a swollen lymph node. Needless to say, I am concerned. I called Dr. Masseys asst and she said she thinks I just did too much.  I have to just keep an eye on it...from flying to vacumning..it may of just been too much. Has anyone had this happen???

I BOOKED my flights for Stage 2! woo hoo...Higher rates then September. Is Hotel Montelone still giving us those great rates of 79 per nite?? I have my BFF going with me this time. We just found out here that DH, who is only 43, needs to have a heart ablation procedure done on Dec 14th  due to extensive Afib( I get home the 13th)  Arrgghh..Will I be comfortable enough to spend all day in a hospital waiting room? I am, of course, going to be there for him, no matter what. He has been at my side thru this whole escapade! lol

Nordy...hang in there. I know those drains are a pain.

Spring- thanks love for the clarification on when you are staying in Nola..he he..

Sandy- I am a bit lost..are you having tshirts made? What will they look like?? I want to order one too!! Or correct me if I am lost! lol

• SandyinSoCal
    edited October 2009

We have a fund-raising t-shirt section on our site, and after reading the above, I think we need to do "Spectacular" in rhinestones too--we'll add that soon.  We have a NOLA rhinestone tee/tank that incorporates a fleur de lis, pink ribbon and a heart.  Then we have a printed tee/tank that was mentioned above, and you can enter your doctor's name, so you can have "Restored by DellaCroce" or "Created by Sullivan" --whatever wording you want, depending on what you've had done.  I am going to buy copies of The Breast Reconstruction Guidebook with the proceeds from that design, to donate.  We do embroidery, crystals and printing, so if there's something you want that isn't shown, please let me know and we'll make it for you.  Here's a link:

http://www.advantagebridal.com/brcaawexat.html

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2009

Plainjane- glad to hear your drain is out- No more draining now- got that!

Warrior- Im sorry to hear your DH needs an Ablation.  And they day after you get back...Sure hope you feel good enough to sit there.  Lets hear more stress -ugh.

You rest your body the rest of the week so your Armpit feels better!

I dont have a Good rate for Monteleone in Nov : (

Sandy- Love the Shirts!  I will want a Sparkly Tank after stage II!

We need to hear from Gin!

Pam

• plainjane64
    edited October 2009

Gosh Sandy....Do I order thru that site, or?  I think I want the "under construction" T...but I have to get it soon so I can wear before dec stage 2.....when construction will hopefully be completed!  LOVE that your proceeds go to helping w/ costs and K. Steligo book.

So Warrior...Is it your husband or your friend's?  Also....My cancer side lymph nodes felt full intermittently........you may be backed up w/ a bit of fluid.....mine started having a burning sensation a coupleweeks ago and I had that fluid drained from ther breast, but yes, I had definitely been overdoing......I'm doing LE therapy and it is helping a LOT....then again I'm like Nordy....sensitive and juicy and I have to have help mobilizing the fluid....lots of the lymphatic ducts are in the skin, yes, backing off on  activities is good but there's a fine line....you don't want to quit moving.....sorry I'm no expert just know I've been living something similar...It can't hurt to have a good LE therapist eval you and most MD's are a-ok w/ writing the script for that.  I am jealous you're vaccuuming tho...Oh man the floors are bugging me!

My next door neighbor had an ablation last week and he was ok....yes, they probably have to recover from anesthesia....but...I know w/ our kids who have congenital heart disease where I work it depends on how they go about and if they're having a cath too........some get admitted, some go home but we have lots of kids who have to have different sorts of ablation.  Judging by what Trishia said, you might be ok by  the 14th.

OK, my sister who had DCIS at 50 something and postmenopausal is coming over and going to LE therapy w/ me.  Haven't seen her in a long time like early sept.  She is very happy for me and I can't wait to show her the twins!  Tomorrow is her bday....58 I think?  I'm ready w/ a couple gifts.  She sent me some lovely fleurs for my day.

Better run!  cheers, xoxo,

jenniferjane

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited October 2009

Thanks girls for the words of encouragment. I heard from Dr. Masseys office. They have me following up w/my dr to rule out a seroma. I went to my oncologists office today. The PA saw me and said it is all swollen but its hard to say why...can be a number of things. I am thinking its from vacumning etc. My ultrasound is on Friday at the hospital. They also took blood.

Is LE therapy lymphedema therapy?/ what does that consist of?? is it the same as physcial therapy??

Where is the Under Construction shirts?  I also would like one that says Bionic Babe..lol

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited October 2009

Nordy, I hope you learned your lesson! Vacuuming is BAD for you! Never do that again!!!Tongue out

Anne

• Nordy
    edited October 2009
    Anne - It wasn't me!!!! LOL... I have been letting my husband vacuum up until the other day and I am 9 weeks out as of tomorrow!!!! I promise it wasn't the vacuuming that made my butt collect fluid!!! LOL (maybe the yoga.... !) (ps... shhh... it was Warrior that vacuumed.... shhhh... LOL)Wink
  • Nordy
    edited October 2009

Does anyone know if they would even do stage 2 on a draining butt???? Maybe another question to pose to the doctor... Then again, I seriously hope that this drain will be out and I will be all healed by Dec.!!!

PS - next week there is a local cancer support group and they are having a local PS speak. Last year when he spoke, I wan't there, but my friend was telling me how he was totally dissing the DIEP flap. We both agree that that is likely because he doesn't do them. I think we are both going to go next week and share our stories of free flaps and our successes. (She is unilateral diep w/Dr. Massey and I, of course am bilateral hip flaps w/Dr. Sullivan). I can't wait! Trying to help Minnesota - getting the word out there - even if it is just a little at a time. Remember that  shampoo commercial from the... uh,oh, now I am dating myself... the 70's: I told 2 friends, then they told 2 friends, then they told two friends....you get the picture... That is how I feel I am contributing, stripping away the lack of knowledge of reconstruction layer by layer!

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited October 2009

Nordy,

Girl.....am I going to lose my hip drains before you do??? I'm just over three weeks out and my numbers are dropping quickly. I'm down to about 50 per day. I'm thinking I might not have to go beyond five weeks. Dressing to disguise them from people, primarily my children, is quite difficult. I actually shortened the tubes the other day....one of them was almost two feet long!!!

I'm with you guys on spreading the word...the Center is mailing brochures to me. I want to meet with the Womens Health Center at my hospital  and also my surgeon....so they can inform their ladies of ALL the options available. I don''t think I'll have problems getting them to agree, the closest PS is over an hour away, and right now they don't "recommend" anoyone much at all!

I went ahead and order the Spanx Power Panty yesterday. The seams on the shorts I have now are starting to really give me skin sensitivity. I confess, I ordered two sizes larger than their chart indicated. I really do NOT want to be squeezed toooooo tight. Dr. S had already given me permission to wear a bike short. I'll be so glad to let my skin breathe once these last two drains are out.

I know it's a Doctor specific thing, but Dr. S makes you put iodine on all incisions IN ADDITON to the drain areas. I think it has helped with getting the glue to come off. I'm just three weeks post op, and not much glue left.

I'm really looking forward to Stage two Dec. 9. I'm currently about a full C cup on one side and a full D on the other. This is primarily from one side being stacked diep (if you want to correct that for me Spring, please) and one side hip flap.

Looks like they may be a gang of us there around that time!

Carolynn :)

• SandyinSoCal
    edited October 2009

Here's the reconstruction tank top: http://www.advantagebridal.com/brcaucotatop.html

and t-shirt:  http://www.advantagebridal.com/brcarezot.html

Unfortunately, we don't have good photos of either of them, but will soon. My photographer broke her arm a couple of months ago and I can't wait until she can do the photography again.