Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2009

Jennifer, you've got it!  The competition was just too much for me, what with Marcia and Minnesota flaunting their bikini bods.    I told my husband I needed a picture and I'm sure he thinks I'm turning narcissist on him.  I think it's the stigma of turning 50 this month, which I was really dreading on one hand, but thankful for on the other because my mother only lived to 48.  DH has no idea I posted the photo here, and Minnesota had just better not tell him when we get to finally MEET IN PERSON IN NOLA!!!! next week. 

Good news from my bro, too.  She's just scared and they did finally clear that up last night.  Our 25th anniversary is the week after their wedding, so we have been ring shopping.  DH never had a wedding ring because he was an electronics electrician and couldn't wear jewelry.  I haven't worn my original set for at least 15 years--we always planned to upgrade and never did.  We were referred by a friend to a broker in downtown L.A. and he owns all of the Tiffany molds, so I chose the settings and he's making the rings for us.   This guy is amazing.  He volunteered in New York after 9-11 and ended up with lung cancer, losing his voice box---has to hold a device to his throat to speak.  He almost died last year.   But he's getting married on 11/8 too, and has been busy making my brother's rings.  He wants to have our rings ready for my brother's wedding and told me that we should renew our vows after their ceremony, since everything will be in place to make that convenient.  We're not about to steal any of the limelight from my brother and his fiancee though.  He's waited too long for this to happen and I just want to celebrate his big day.   Oh, and fiancee is a writer for a health journal, so she is going to work on getting the word out about women not being given their options for reconstruction, plus publicize EnCourage for me!  I can't wait until they are pronounced husband and wife, so we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief.  First on the agenda is a baby!!! 

Spring, Dr. D is a perfectionist and will do anything possible to make you happy.  You'll get there!

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited October 2009

MOMSDAUGHTER  - You look MAAAAAAAAARVELOUS!  Daarling!  Just Maaaavelous!

• BreastCancerDiva
    BreastCancerDiva Member Posts: 29
    edited October 2009

Hi everyone.     I was searching for a topic for December Recon in NOLA and found this group!     I am looking forward to Stage 1 with Dr. D on 12/2/09.     I will be at the St Charles Surgical Hospital from 12/2 to probably 12/5.     I think we're staying at the Homewood.    I will have my husband, mother and sister with me.   

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2009

Wow, BreastCancerDiva, looks like we're having surgery on the SAME DAY with the SAME DOC!! You stage1 and me stage2!! I bet you'll go first and me later in the day. Now look, make sure your body cooperates so he is not too pooped out!! LOL LOL LOL.

I will add you above to our list, and you will see! Most of the ladies here have already done stage 1, though Pam is going soon. You have stumbled on to a good spot!!

I am also going to be at St. Charles and the Homewood. We fly in on 11/30 and 2 nights at the homewood, I'll just be in the hospital, St Charles surgical, the night of the 2nd, and leave the next day. Then 2 more days at the homewood, and we fly home on Saturday.  

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2009

Sandy, you CRACK me up!  I thought you and Minn were old pals...I guess online pals!  That is so stinkin cool!  And really exciting about your new rings, etc.  Wow congrats on 25 yrs!  and 50 and fabulous!  Hope his fiancee can continue to help spread the word too.  I think I told you guys I emailed the local PS asking him to give a K Steligo book to my BS...he's the one who provided mine...he obliged and said he'd give her one....Don't I have nerve?  Actually they (here at UTSW) have been incredibly decent about EVERYTHING so I worded it tactfully, have a decent relationship w/ both and it flew....or at least to my face, lol!

Breast cancer Diva, you're in good hands and you'll still be around when MANY of us will be down for stage 2.

I finished my list today, yippee!  I am starting on reliv today......I was very leery but got it from my BC friend...we'll see.  A friend and her 2nd grader coming over tonight to goof off, watch movies order pizza.  She's becoming a nurse practitioner and is a book freak and brainiac so she gets a K Steligo book.

Better go try to lap the block before dark, weather lovely here!

xoxo,jennifer

• plainjane64
    edited October 2009

Oh wait!  sandy you're an Oct bday too?  what date?  HBD!!!!!!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2009

Sandy is sooooooo pulling through for me and there is a Dr. Sullivan reconstruction shirt on its way to me to wear for the MD on Tuesday!!!!   teehee.... Innocent

BreastcancerDiva - you are in the best of hands!!! I wish I hadn't let my surgery date go because I should have been having stage 2 the day after you and spring!!! arggghhhhhh - working hard to try and get it back but I think they want to wait and see what the gyn/onc says here because I will probably put that hyst/bso in w/stage 2 IF I can get in this year - one less surgery, one less OOP. We will see... 

Okay - gotta run and take care of my girls - they had their flu shots today so aren't feeling up to par - BUT I have to hand it to them, my 4 year old did not even cry - or whince for that matter, and my 2 year old cried for about 30 seconds. I think they are both so used to being around needles (thanks to me and BC - they watched the doctor put in my drains, and I mean totally watched - my 4 year old sat right next to the doctor - but out of the sterile field... LOL) that it doesn't even phase them. I see medical careers looming in their future. Seriously, nothing phases them, not big long incision lines, not drains, shots, nothing... They both go with me most of the time to my appts - and they have both (somewhat unfortunately) grown up with mom needing frequent md visits, blood draws, surgery, drains... etc. 

Hope you are all having a fabulous Friday!!! It was raining here earlier, but now the sun is out... I was singing rain rain go away... but decided I liked the words drain drain go away a lot better... Regardless, it worked only for the rain!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited October 2009

Nordy, I hope you LOVE both of the shirts!  We did "Restored by Sullivan 2009" on the one you and I discussed.  I'm going to add it to our site tonight, for those who might want something in all crystals.  It is pretty stunning, with over 720 crystals on it, so I don't think that anyone could possibly miss the message on Tuesday!  You should have a tracking number in your email box by now.  Love the drain, drain, go away!  In order for it to work, you have to wear a feather headdress and chant as you dance around in circles.

Thank you,Jennifer.  My b-day is Oct. 3rd. 

Melanie, thank you for the kind words!

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

That's it. It is Halloween - it ought to be easy to get a hold of a feather headdress. I am going shopping.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited October 2009

ooo...I need a "Restored by Sullivan 2009" shirt!!!!   That's exactly how I feel!!!!!  

• melaniew1
    edited October 2009

I need one of those shirts, except Restored by Dellacroce!  Where and how do we get them again? 

Nordy -  before long will be singing: 

Singing without a drain, Just Singing without a drain

What a glorious feelin'
    I'm happy again
    I'm laughing at clouds
    So dark up above
    The sun's in my heart
    And I'm ready for love
    Let the stormy clouds chase
    Everyone from the place
    Come on with the rain
    I've a smile on my face
    I walk down the lane
    With a happy refrain
    Just singin',
    Singin' WITHOUT  a DRAIN

Thats YOU NORDY, twirling around the lamp post with a cute little umbrella......I just could not resist it.......forgive me. 

Yep RESTORED......its a beautiful choice of words, huh ladies.  Trisha - you are so SO RIGHT! 

Enjoy your movie night Jen.

I am so stoked for phase 2, I am already planning my double portion of corn grits from Zea's!  YUMMY!

Good Night All.  xxoo Mel

PS: I am going to the driving range tomorrow!  5 1/2 weeks, here I come!  I hope I can do it! 

• melaniew1
    edited October 2009

And WELCOME BREASTCANCERDIVA! 

• BreastCancerDiva
    BreastCancerDiva Member Posts: 29
    edited October 2009

Thank you ladies!    I'm so excited about going to NOLA.     I will have my Stage 1 surgery 363 days after I started chemo!    It's been quite a year.  

Springtime - I'm looking forward to meeting you!!!   

• SandyinSoCal
    edited October 2009

My avatar is our new "USDB A Grade" for post-reconstruction.   Instead of Dept. of Agriculture, it's Dept. of Breasts.   Here's a link to our page of breast cancer awareness items.  http://www.advantagebridal.com/brcaawexat.html and the new items are at the top of the page.  Nordy, yours is there!

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

The shirt looks fabulous! I cannot wait to wear it!!! You rock - and I am going to be rocking the tata's... Tongue out

Okay, I am buying a feather headress, I am getting my umbrella out and there is a lamp post almost right out our front door. I am going to sing with my umbrella and feather headdress and wish my drains away!!!! I wonder what my neighbors will think! Both drains are now putting out less than 30cc... doc wants them in until less than 15cc... Hope that things start to heal well back there!!! 

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

PS - anyone have a clue how to shrink down a picture to fit on the avatar? I can't find to do it in Picasa or Zoom Browser... where else shall I look?

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2009

Good Luck With Your Drain Dance Nordy!

I want to see a Picture of you in your new shirt- Its Awesome!

Hi breastCancerDiva- You can Also Join Our Nov In NOLA thread. 

Thanks Ladies, I am hanging in there...Just Barely.

Yes, Spring Soon it Will be all BEHIND me...Or Will in Be All In Front?

Pam

• plainjane64
    edited October 2009

Pam and Breast Cancer Diva.....deep breaths....try the relaxation stuff on the prepare for NOla thread...or it's w/ the Peggy Huddleston "Prepare for Surgery Heal faster"  Actually Spring can tell you all about Affirmations...Oh wait so can Nordy!   hahahah...LOL!  This is a book recommended by Kathy Steligo too.  A bit holistic, and (nobody be offended please)....California?  BUT I have to admit I downloaded the tapes/or tracks to my comp or ipod and I USED them and continue to find them very helpful but I'm waaaay too high strung!  Hoping to get into Yoga to help w/ that in the next few weeks here...but enough about me.

Sandy...I am ROTFL......the USDB....RIOT!  and singing w/o drains.....this laughing is Sooo good to help deep breath good for LE so nobody stop ok?

Sandy birthdays are celebrations...I like to celebrate a full month before and a full month after...Milk it baby!  My order is on the way!

ps, everyone please congratulate me on starting to use the spellcheck......LOL!

• plainjane64
    edited October 2009

Mel, be careful, but mostly HAVE FUN!  Is it still cold there?  Looks like another beauty here...Need to turn on the Today show.

Today 2 of my ex Nurse trainees who make me "Oh so proud!" are coming over and bringing me lunch...because you know I'm not sure I'm getting enough to eat.....(NOT!).  Anyhoo, they both sent me fleurs at St. Charles.  Should be loads of more fun.  we might even live on the edge and walk around the block to a yard sale!

• plainjane64
    edited October 2009

Oh yeah...Stephanie...How's your son?  How many drains do you have?

Warrior how'd the ultrasound go?

nebr Nan- I quit betadine when I ran out. But my drains were out and abd incision pretty much healed.  except I have an area of eschar in the middle of abd....like I think where the belly button was...It is shrinking and will eventually granulate up.  I talked w/ Melissa about it (Dr. D's nurse-who does my phone calls) she said I could let it soak and soften in the shower. I do follow the md's instructions but gosh there are Sooo many different opinions on wound care and to be perfectly honest I don't think anybody REALLY knows!  As a nurse I can tell you it's an evolving topic...BUT...I continue to keep Dr. D as the chief.....it's easy, esp for me to have too many cooks in the pot......OK, sorry to drone on!

xoxo,

jenniferjane

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2009

Hi Girls

I have been off for a few days looking after my son. He arrived this week so I am busy cooking for him and trying to make him comfortable. Broke my heart to see him wheeled off the flight with casts on both legs but he did manage a big grin.

Hey Nordy if you got my drain then you should be done soon, mine didn't put out much. You are luck to be young and juicy, I must be a dried up old hag. I have one hip drain left but it has been under 20cc for 10 days. I want to leave it in as long as I can since it is very dark . I had a ton of bruising on my right side, I must have slipped off the table during surgery.

Wow NOLA must be on overide for Dec. I still do not have a date for stage 2

Pam & BC Diva stay busy to take your mind off things. I worked my but off for our year end audit prior to my surgery to the point that I was looking forward to the Mx just to rest. You are in the best hands, all of the Drs and nurses are there for you. They will do anything for you to make you comfortable.

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

Stephanie - LOL!!!! Oh my gosh - NOT!    I do hope that the drain you gave me does continue to dry out fast though...

Okay, running, it is beautiful here and I am going to shoot pictures of my girls with a background of red leaves... if they are still red! I hope I didn't miss it! 

Pam and BC Diva, deep breaths, deep breaths, deep breaths... rocking hot tata's on the way... 

Have a great day!!!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2009

Stephanie, TAKE THAT DRAIN OUT woman!!! Golly, I removed my hip drains as soon as I had 2 days under 30cc like they said. (I also do not "juice" a lot, but do not feel all dried up! ha!) My body does NOT like having foreign things in it, ((hence taking out those implants! ))  Are you not worried about getting an infection? You get the award for keeping a drain longer than you have to !!! :) 

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

LOL... Spring - my drains were less than 20 for 2 days and I still ended up having to be aspirated and re-drained!!! This time we are shooting for less than 15 for 3 days in a row. And hopefully NO infections!!! Heaven knows I have been down that road before!!!

• melaniew1
    edited October 2009

I DID IT!  Golfed 9 holes!  Beat my Dad by one stroke!  I'M BACK BABY!!!!!  Wow, I did so good, it was such fun, but I have to tell you.....I am having to adjust for the Twins, heheheh!  Not used to that AT ALL!  But what a fun problem to have....and all jiggly in the cart....AH, peace at last after such a long struggle.  I think I will be sleeping very well tonight. and I am playing 18 tomorrow! 

JenJane - the weather is lovely here this afternoon, we had rain showers and it was 76 degrees, sun came out for the afternoon, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 65.......theres no way I am not going to golf.  Leaves are at PEAK colors......BEAUTIFUL!!!! 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2009

I agree with Nordy!  As much as I hate the drains, I will leave this second batch in as long as possible cause I sure don't wanna have to go back and have them put back in yet again!!

Doing fine, waiting to see when i will go back to work now, and when I will start chemo.....

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited October 2009

Yeah Mel on the GOLF GAME!! Big step Forward!!

Gin..long recovery but you are forging ahead and we are all hear for you..

I went out with a bunch of my girlfriends last nite to celebrate my new "girls" lol   My new profile pic PROUDLY displays them. Of those of you that have me on Facebook, you will see the Kit Kat Album...lol  Its important people see why it is we go to Drs out of our home state !  I had so much fun. Laughter really is the best medicine.

GOOD NEWS  The ultrasound just showed fluid and nothing more. I was a bit worried cuz I was Stage 2..had in my lymph nodes in my armpit so when it swelled, I was concerned. But, all is well..no more vacuming! lol

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited October 2009

Warrior - You look fabulous!!!!  That is some nice cleavage you are sporting girl!  I hope your DH isn't concerned when you go out with your girlfriends and looking so hot!!  Glad your problem was only fluid.  Probably all that vacuuming.  Call Molly Maid!! LOL.  Linda

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

Warrior - hot hot hot... !!!! I don't know what you had before, but isn't it so nice to have cleavage?????

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

Wait... so I finally got my avatar to WORK... (thanks to everyone who answered my question about how to do it... wait, NOBODY answered me!!! LOL) Anyway, I was going to save my pretty post op photo for tomorrow, but I realized if I did it in MY morning, that you east coast people will have already been up and read the funnies... so I am switching to the most beautiful picture I have. Enjoy...  

LOL - Pam and Diva, this is not supposed to scare you!!! Ask for the Dilaudid... its wonderful... Laughing I didn't even care that my husband took this picture! LOL

Now... tell me I look beautiful, come on... say it...    LMAO