Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2011

Nordy, you are a hoot!

BTJ - Please don't apologize for your long letter. We have all taken our turns venting on these forums. I'm so sorry your test results did not turn out as expected. I had lots of that happening, and it's hard to catch your breath sometimes. It sounds like you're feeling overwhelmed with all the decisions coming at you so quickly. Know that you have time to think and gather information re: your surgery. If you're not ready to decide on a bilateral mastectomy, at this time, you can always revisit the decision later. It's better to have additional surgery later than regret your choice now. I had a unilateral mast in '06 with delayed stacked DIEP recon. Then a second mast with immediate GAP recon a year ago. I find myself thinking I should have just had it all done at once, but the reality is that I didn't have the information 5 years ago that I had 1 year ago. It took me those extra years to be able to come to that second decision. The point is that you shouldn't jump into anything you're not comfortable with. I will say, tho, that you'll probably have a lot of asymmetry with one implant breast and one regular breast, without a lift. Over time it may very well start to bug you, but it won't be too late to address it. I'll also put in one pitch for recon using your own fat vs. an implant, since you're on this thread - LOL! If you like your 58-year-old breast, I think you might like the softer and more natural result you'd get from a DIEP or GAP. As Springtime here says, "Just sayin'." Good luck on this journey. So sorry you've been dealt this hand and have so little support in your region. BC.org is a great place to hook up with other ladies in similar situations.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2011

Hi Jerusha! That's so exciting.  There are bunch of us that are going to be there overlapping...and we're trying to maybe plan something if you're all up to it. There may be a ladies' lunch on the 17th.  PM me with your email and cell phone number and we will include you too.

Congratulations on your soon to jiggles!

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited April 2011

Hello Ladies. I am one month out and the excitement is growing! I am going to start my multi-vit. 2x per day.Got questions:

Did anyone bank blood ahead of time?

What is a dom?

What can I expect my breast to look like when i wake up?

What can I expect to happen between leaving the hospital and post appt 5 days later? Will I be confined to a chair all day? Will I be able to comb my hair? 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2011

Rogam - I'm sorry, I can't remember if you are having immediate or delayed reconstruction... If it is delayed - it will look like a breast with incisions when you wake up. You will definitely have some wires coming out of it regardless since they use doppler to monitor the flaps. If you are having immediate reconstruction, maybe someone else can chime in and let you know what their breasts looked like!

I did not bank blood... I don't recall anyone on here that did... but it is not a bad idea...

The dom is my phrase... LOL... and I take full credit for it! It is short for dominatrix because the compression garment that they frequently put hip/sgap people in after stage 1, and pretty much everyone after stage 2, is black with lace trim, a pink little flower on the front, and crotchless. I felt like I needed to put on some hight heels and leather, and should have been holding a whip!  Since you are DIEP - I am not sure, but pretty sure that you will not have this after stage 1... Others that had DIEP can chime in but I think they had an abdominal binder instead.

Oh my goodness. You will NOT be confined to a chair! They will have you up and out of bed 2 days after your surgery, showering and using the bathroom. You are expected to drink lots of fluids and take frequent walks. All within your tolerance, but the last thing they want you to do is be inactive. Walking helps prevent blood clots and will help get rid of some of the fluid you may take on from surgery. They don't expect crazy exercise, but they do want you to move! I had no problems combing my hair, so I don't think you will either! You will do great!

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2011

Jerusha - I will be there at the same time as you.  My surgery is with Dr. S  on May 11th.

• kathrynla
    edited April 2011

Hi Rogam. Nordy answered most of your questions but I'll chime in on the rest.

What your breasts will look like if it is immediate reconstruction? Great!  But seriously, how they look the day after surgery will depend upon a few things. First off, are you doing nipple preserving or not? If not there will be more scarring. Also, where are they making your incisions?  I did nipple preserving but Dr S had talked about my incision for the mastectomy being from my aereola out towards under my arm. I asked about an under the breast incision and he said they would try but couldn't guarantee it - I think it depends on how far up they can get to remove the breast tissue.  In the end it was under my breast. So for me there weren't many obvious scars on my breasts right after. They did look different and swollen - but they were there! So never a day without them. As for looks - I couldn't really see them for a few days since I was mostly lying down (except when they'd prop me up to walk or shower and I didn't really look at those times) and I have to be honest I was a bit scared to look. It may be those with immediate reconstruction have a different reaction since we don't ever live without our girls.  You wake up with a soft black bra (sounds more exciting than it is) that hooks up the front.  I'm 3 months post surgery and they initially looked much bigger to me right after (I was aiming for a C cup) but in the last few months the swelling has gone down and they're more of a B to large B. I'll be there for stage 2 with you and hoping for a little zowie to be added in!

Raising my arms and combing my hair no problem. I only had two nodes removed on the cancer side....but I've seen other posts where women had some discomfort at first.  You might feel a little stiff but you'll want to get things moving right away.

Between surgery and post op you will be up and around. As Nordy said they'll want you walking as soon as you can. I found by the time I got up, showered, ate breakfast, dressed, cleaned the drains (they'll show you how to do that) and  it was almost noon...and I'd need to rest. After that we'd head out for a walk and lunch. For me I could keep going and going - but once I stopped I felt like I couldn't go on any more.  When we returned I'd often need a nap.  Then I'd wake up eat dinner and then go to bed. The days really did fly by. 

At the post-op Dr S took a look, removed my remaining doppler wires and pulled my breast drains. I had hip flaps so I went home with two hip drains. It is all so much less difficult than it actually sounds and you'll be on the other side of this before you know it. Good luck and see you there!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2011

Hi Rogam!

I had both a delayed recon and an immediate, skin-sparing one, several years apart. Both times, when I woke up and looked down at my breast, it looked beautiful! You might even cry. If you're having delayed recon, you cry because your breast is back. If it's immediate recon, you cry because you're so relieved that it's your same breast! 

The docs provide great pain control, partly in the form of an "OnQ ball." It channels pain meds right to where you need them most - the donor site. The medication is in a kind of cannonball thing that shrinks as you use it up. I highly recommend that if you still have some left by the time of discharge, that you keep that ball and not have them remove it before you leave. I have had some great times exploring the Quarter (in small doses, as you'll get very tired), slinging that OnQ strap over my shoulder (I make a loop with the strap) like a fashionable avant-garde purse! Other ladies who have had it removed prior to discharge because they think it's a hassle have meanwhile been laid up in their hotel room feeling not-so-great.

I wish I had banked blood because I was one of the few that ended up getting some extra because I had to go back into surgery. I didn't have to have the transfusion, but I was offered the option later, as I could barely drag myself around and my iron was very low. It totally pepped me up. Of course, if I had banked my blood, I wouldhn't have gotten to have that New Orleans blood, which I think has special healing properties and makes me feel even more a part of that city I love, in addition to it being the birthplace of both of my fabulous breasts! Hope this answered some of your questions. You are about to partake on an adventure!

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2011

Hi everyone. I have not posted on this thread before but I have been reading and learned about NOLA from all of you so... thank you! I had a BNSM last year with implant reconstruction. I have also had a revision for capsular contracture. There are still so many things that bother me about these implants and I just don't have faith in more revisions. But I have been told from the start that I don't have enough tissue for a flap procedure. Well, all of your comments made me think I should give NOLA a try. I sent my photos and Dr. Sullivan seemed to think a hip flap would be possible. Still, I'm skeptical because of all the negative comments I have heard locally. So, I figure the best approach is to meet the doctor personally and discuss all the problems to see what can be done. I am going for a consult with Dr. Sullivan on May 16. When I read all your comments, I get so hopeful - nervous but hopeful. Let's just say I am in a cautiously optimistic frame-of-mind. I just wanted to thank all of you for sharing your experiences.

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2011

welcome ref! I didn't have the hip flaps but there are lots of women here who did!

The NOLA docs are artists, I started out somewhere else and got fixed up by Dr. D myself.

I am sure someone with more experience with hip flaps will be along soon! 

• kathrynla
    edited April 2011

Hi Ref. I was also told by local PSs that I didn't have enough stomach fat for two breasts.  But I went to NOLA and Dr. S made me two beautiful breasts from my hips/love handles!  I think it's great you're going down in person to talk to him.  Also, for some women who don't have enough in the hips they do a stacked DIEP/Hip procedure. You're doing the right thing - go and see for yourself.

Also, I'm going to be coming to NOLA on the 16th (later in the day) are you staying over that night or the next day? There are some people in town that are trying to get together - maybe you can come too.  PM and we can talk!  Good luck.

• ref
    edited April 2011

CandDsMom and KathrynLA - thanks for the encouragement! Dr. Sullivan mentioned the possibility of a stacked hip/addomen. The issue is to fill the space of the implants versus reducing the skin envelope to accomodate the smaller size. I'd be fine with being smaller if we could use the inframammary incision I have without adding more incisions to reduce the skin. A dilemma. Part of what I want to review with Dr. Sullivan.

Anyway, I am flying in with my husband the morning of the 16th and have my meeting in the late afternoon. I'm staying overnight at Le Monteleone. Leaving on a morning flight the next day. Wish I had more time but I was just happy to finally decide to get there at all!

• kathrynla
    edited April 2011

Hi Ref. I'm sure Dr S will be able to tell you more when you meet with him. He's really so lovely and thoughtful...and most importantly - talented!

We'll be at the same hotel on the 16th! I'm also trying to see if bdavis wants to meet for drinks or something that night - she's staying with a friend and is waiting to hear what the plans are.  My plane gets in at 4:30PM so we should be at the hotel and ready for some Hurricanes (or whatever they drink in NO) around 6:30 - 7PM.  Would love to meet up with the you. I'll PM with contact info.

good luck!

• ref
    edited April 2011

Hi Kathryn - I sent you a PM. Thanks!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

So Kathryn and Ref... hoping for at least one drink... and kathryn you have my cell number, right?

• kathrynla
    edited April 2011

bdavis. I do have it.

b & ref - Maybe we should plan to meet at the Hotel Montelone bar?  Thoughts on that?

K

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

where is that hotel?

• ref
    edited April 2011

Yes, it would be great to meet at the Hotel Monteleone bar. bdavis - I don't know my way around there but it's in the French quarter. Kathryn - I sent you a PM with my cell number.

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

I looked it up... On Bienville between Royal and Chartres...

• kathrynla
    edited April 2011

Yes It's in the French Quarter.  Should we pick a time? 6:30? 7PM?

• ref
    edited April 2011

Just in case I run late at the Center for any reason, can we say 7pm?

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2011

Rogam, I think that Nordy answered your questions but just to add my experience. I did not have the DOM after stage 1 only stage 1B due to complications and 2 and 2B. Each of us is so different it is hard to now how you will feel. I woke up and swear to G*d looked like Dolly Parton ( bust wise not waist wise) but once the swelling went down the bust looked more normal. I was by no means confined to a chair but I did not venture out because I could not walk any distance at all. One month later I had to have a stage 1B (which the drs paid to fly me and caregiver) back because I was not healing properly. Please do NOT let my experience scare you. Like I said each of us is different. As I look back  I think I may not have healed properly because I smoked up until 2 months before my stage 1. NASTY HABIT. ( been smoke free over a year now YEAH)

Good luck and Hugs and prayers to all.

Hi Minnesota!!!

Dragon.. I also had where my upper stomach was larger and then it went flat where my incision was. Dr D fixed it during Stage 2B. I also had my breast reduced when he was doing the symentry.(SP??) So they are much better as well as no longer have the side breasts under my arm. You should check with insurance because they have to pay for symentry. 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited April 2011

So there's hope for me yet :) I am trying to get my friend over tonight to get the specific pictures they requested so they can run the insurance and figure out what's up. I think I need the reduction, nipples and lipo but we'll see.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2011

Hi all! I added dates above for surgeries and consults (Jerusha and Ref).

Dragon, as for the Marena,  I think you had the one - it's just the picture shows the top of the garment way lower than it really comes in reality. http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-98-2nd-stage-girdle-with-short-legs.aspx  I got black!!

BDavis, I am cracking up at your "naked" comment!!! 

Hey glad you ladies will be meeting up! That's one of the main reasons for this thread -- it is so nice to find buddies down there!!!  

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

Ref and Kathryn... 7pm is fine assuming I am in that area... I should know more as we get closer

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited April 2011

Ref-I was told by 2 local PS that I did not have enough stomach fat for a single, let alone 2 breasts so, I went to NOLA and had a consult with Dr. S. He is certain that he can create 2 breasts for me from my hips. After meeting with him, I wouldn't consider going anywhere else! I hope that you are pleased with your consult.

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

In July, I am lucky to have Dr D on one side and Dr S on the other... yeah!!!

• ref
    edited April 2011

toomuch - I hope the same will be true for me!

bdavis -  I hope we will get to meet on the 16th. I sent you a PM.

A couple of questions -

Did anyone have problems managing drains once they got home? Not sure that I have a helper doctor.

Is it reasonable to expect just 2 surgeries - Stage 1 and 2 - or is it more likely to need further adjustments? (I had a NSM so wouldn't need nipple reconstruction).

How long did it take before you had a good sense of a final outcome - 1 month, 2, more after surgery?

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

ref... never got a PM

• ref
    edited April 2011

bdavis - just sent it!

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

got it