Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited June 2011

Nordy, when are you checking the person out in Portland? I'd love to know more about them. How long do you have to let them heal before tattoos? I know I asked but I can't remember.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited June 2011

I used Vinnie Meyers and he is AWESOME.  I do want to go back and go a touch darker but I love, love my tatoo's.  I told Vinnie to please go lighter but now after 6 months (they have not faded) but I decided I want a touch darker.  I have been just too lazy to make the appt. yet...lol... 

• Jaimieh
    edited June 2011

Okay I never posted this because of course the photographer takes the picture while I am looking down shocked that I could feel a little on my problem side but here is my pictures from getting my tatoo's done by Vinnie.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/news/local/article_c1cbc24c-ff5f-11df-b875-001cc4c002e0.html

No judging the horrible face. 

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited June 2011

"No judging the horrible face"??  It is not horrible at all - you sort of look like you are thinking "WTF?" Wow!  You are amazing, letting the photographer take your pic and all!  I am not sure I could have done that!  What a great article!  I think I may actually give Vinnie a call and see if he has any thoughts about allergies.

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2011

How does the tattoo work if you are having your nipple reconstructed? Does that get colored as well ..I have my own on one breast but lost my nipple and part of my areola

• kaitsmom
    edited June 2011

Hey Dawn, How are you?  Just wanted to say hi, and I never told you how much I like your pic of you and Minnie.  When I first met Eeyore, I cried and hugged him so tight!!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

Alright, my bag is packed and I'm ready to go... can't wait to get to NOLA tomorrow :)

• Jaimieh
    edited June 2011

my nipple was reconstructed but it has a darker color so Vinnie thought it would be best to not color it.  He was amazed at Dr. S's handy work and just kept telling me how lucky I was and that I had the best reconstruction that he has seen. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2011

Amy, I agree with Nordy on the tattoos. I think local might have been better. I did hear raves about the NOLA tattoos, but I can show you that in one spot there is a line/dot that trails off the nipple area! Sort of sloppy. I didn't notice it while there because I didn't have my reading glasses on! (hahahahaha). But your allergy issues are real ones! I want you to get tattoos because you will look totally "finished" it is amazing how much they add. But you do need to be careful! I hope they can find a way to do it that works for you...

Dawn they tattoo over everything. I had one normal (my own) and one that needed some rounding out. They just do everything, both nipples, both areaols, whether they need it or not! I think that is the only way to make sure everything matches up... 

COOL JAMIE!!!!!!!! :) 

• Springtime
    edited June 2011

I had a doctor locally that said she would help me, but I didn't end up neededing any help. just FYI. My husband could pull the drain, and after the first surgery, I did my own. And then I called the Center with questions. Just FYI...

• kaitsmom
    edited June 2011

fyi . . .  I just spoke with Vinnie - thought I would give him a call re. the tattoos and allergies.  He was very informative and very patient with all my questions.  I had left a message and he called me back within an hour. He doesn't think it is very likely that I will have a problem, though he has seen it happen once.  He agreed a patch test would be a good idea.  Anyway, I just wanted to tell y'all that I liked his kindness and professionalism over the phone.

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2011

Hi Amy!! I'm hanging in there..got my port on wednesday and will start my chemo on 22nd..getting all my medications lined up and picking up my wig tomorrow...ugh  So how are you doing?  I was curious about all the tattoo info, as I like to get everything in order.even though it will be awhile b4 I can get mine done.  When they reconstruct your nipple does it stick up? The patch of skin from my stomach is very light compared to the rest of my skin - I guess they can insert color?Because alot of ladies are talking about 3d nipples? I'm so confused haha

Dragon - Have a safe trip!!!!!  So excited for you...keep us posted........

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2011

Okay, so tattoos... I am not overly impressed with mine. First off, I took a picture of my original breast with me to NOLA - my areolas were a peachy pink color (as are my lips). I said that that was what I was after - as close to the original as I could get. They are not even close. They are more of a brown (have you seen me? I am not Mediterranean in any way shape or form!) and I asked for a natural "feathering" around the edges of the areola. I do not have that either - I have a ring. In addition to that I got an infection from tattooing and no matter what I did to keep things open to the air (but they have you put vaseline or aquaphor on it) - everything would stick to my shirt and get pulled off getting undressed or even moving around during the night or when I would pick up my kids and they would pull on my shirt during the day. When the skin sticks to your clothes, it lifts off the coloring of the tattoo with your skin. So in addtion to the wrong color and rings on the edges, I also have splotchy bare spots in my tattoo. Even if the bare spots weren't there, I would still be disappointed because of the other two issues.

2T - the tattoo artist in Portland is Mary Jane Haake and she is supposed to be phenomenal. I am going to try to meet with her and the one in Vancouver, Wa who trained under her. Her name is Laury Giffin and she is supposed to be good too. I have also seen the work that my PS's aesthetician has done and she does a fantastic job. SO... Portland is at least on your coast!

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited June 2011

Kathryn? Laura? What's the word today? Thinking of you....

• Jerusha
    edited June 2011

Also LeslieT... How are you??

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2011

Hmmm, much to consider regarding tattoos.  Nordy, I'm quite fair like you and I'd be very disappointed with brown areolas.  I wonder if our NOLA docs are aware their tattoo artist isn't very impressive?  

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited June 2011

JAMIAH - Great article about Vinnie!

Just found out yesterday that my date needs to be changed and that Dr. Stolier will not be able to do my mastectomies. I met with him when I was in NOLA. Has anyone used Dr. Lagarde for their mastectomies? I appreciate any feedback on your experience that you can provide. This is stressful waiting for them to figure out a new date, likely new assistant surgeon and new breast surgeon. Not to speak of all the planning for my companions while I'm there, coverage for my kids, housing etc. It's been a stressful day.

• Springtime
    edited June 2011

TooMuch, I think many here have used Dr. LaGarde. I think all happy. I just remember somebody saying something like make sure she doesn't take too many nodes if you are having SNB (you may already had had it?) If anybody has specifics, pls pipe in!

Nordy, I have solid rings and no feathering either, which I would have preferred. My color is light though (not brown) maybe he got the message from previous ladies (I too am very fair!). He did try to match a picture they had of my nipple/areaola, and I had my original one with me on the other side! In one area, my "ring" is not right. sort of sloppy. If I redo them (I hear eventually you need to redo, is this true?) I will go to the lady in Asheville NC nearby and try her out. 

Thinking of you Laura, Leslie, Surfa and Kathryn!!! 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2011

From what I read, I think Vinnie just tatoos the nipple that needs it and matches it to the other one... that one nipple can take longer than if he does two because of the matching.

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited June 2011

I had Dr. Lagarde and I really like her. She is very compassiate.

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited June 2011

I thought mine was prophylactic, but as it turned out I had cancer in that breast too. She was so nice when she called to tell me. I also got all my path reports quickly.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

Well my friend is on her way to get me. Staying at her house tonight because we're leaving for the airport at like 4:30. Nerves are starting to settle in. I've never gone into surgery without my Mom or Grandma. Feels strange...

• kaitsmom
    edited June 2011

Safe travels, Dragonfly . . .  you are in all of our thoughts!

Hope everyone is doing well this evening . . . 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2011

Thinking about you Dragonfly!!!!

• Jerusha
    edited June 2011

Wishing you the best, Dragonfly. Remember, we want the blow by blow!!

• Jaimieh
    edited June 2011

Thinking of you dragon. I didn't have any nipples for Vinnie to match so he went with the coloring inside of my mouth. I have feathering and they honestly look incredible except for the areas that I jad a reaction to the stitches. So I am going to make another appt with Vinnie :).

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited June 2011

Best  wishes Dragonfly!! I hope you ladies are having a great weekend! I am having too much fun over here staying up late and sleeping most of the day. When I get up i feel great! I have been driving and out to lunch/dinner. My binder is giving great support. My husband thinks i am moving to fast. I will be 4 weeks on Wednesday. Please advise..I thought it was a good thang..

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited June 2011

Thinking of you Dragon - you will love the nips!!!!

Best wishes

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited June 2011

Spring, BettyeE and 2Tzus- Thanks for your replies. I had a lumpectomy last July and I've completed chemo and radiation so I think both  my mastectomies are considered prophylactic now. At least I hope they are. I'm scheduled to have a mammogram and breast MRI in July so my fingers are crossed.

I would definitely prefer Dr. Stolier since I already met with him and really liked his bedside manner. But it's good to know that you were comfortable with Dr. LaGarde. I just checked the Board of Surgery's website and she is Board Certified. I think the difference is that he's a surgical oncologist while she's a general surgeon.

Dragon-I hope that you are thrilled with the outcome of your Stage 2B!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

All checked in at the airport :)