Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited June 2011

Dragonfly - wish there was a "like" button on bc.org!!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited June 2011

Thanks, downsizing is always a plus :)  I'm exhausted. Did way too much today. I did 2 loads of laundry, went and got my hair done, took my Mom home (she was here and using my car while I was gone), my boyfriend stopped by and I met his boys for the first time, then my girl and I went to walmart to get snacks for our trip to Boston on Monday. I finally took a pain pill just now, hadn't taken one since last night. Hope everyone is doing good, it's beautiful here in Oregon!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2011

Dragon, down sizing, yay!!

Ro, hang in there. When the swelling gets better the difference will be less and hopefully your undies will stay up!! Dr. D will fix you up in Stage 2. I had serious issues with even my yoga pants staying up after phase 1! It all gets better. It' won't be that way forever!!

Betsy, best to keep busy... then just put your head down and go! You will feel better to get Stage 1 behind you, and be on the other side. That's the way it was for me anyway... 

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited June 2011

OK. Is this normal? My breasts which have been numb since surgery are hurting today! All day! All over! Is this normal? I have been paying so much attention to my abdominal incision and caring for that I'm surprised to be feeling so much there now.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2011

Oh I will be busy... no worries there... I just returned tonight from Charleston, SC (work) and have a couple of busy weeks and then a vacation for a week, and then I get my son off to Costa Rica and THEN go to NOLA... so a lot going on between now and surgery.

• bdavis
    edited June 2011

Toomuch... I as told when I made my surgery date that Dr Sullivan was out of town the week you are in surgery... and I wanted him as Dr D's asst.. so I backed mine up a week to July 21st?? Is he no longer away that week??

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

Gosh Laura, wish I could help, I've had my new breasts since last September so I don't honestly remember. I know I had lots of pain at first getting up in the morning out of bed. Pulling, heavy and kind of burned but that went away. Do they feel hot, do you have a fever?

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2011

Laura, i'm  6 weeks out and I still have breast pain.  Soon after stage 1 it felt like when milk came in from breastfeeding.  A lot of times it feels the worst when I wake up.  Now it often feels like I'm wearing a life jacket!  Heavy and sometimes tingly. I also still have sternum pain.  I think the mastectomy w/immediate recon can make our recovery a bit longer.  There is also pain and recovery directly related to mx vs just recon.  I started PT for my mx pain.  No way could I sleep on my belly yet.  I still need some pillow support when sleeping on my side because of breast pain.  I end up waking on my back anyway.  I think  I need some cheese with my whine!!

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited June 2011

Laura, I had that too. I know that at first I had no pain in my breasts -- gosh, more than a week or ten days. Then all of a sudden I noticed that they were really sore... kind of like I'd been pummeled or something, and my sternum -- I guess around where they resect the rib sections( if they do that to everyone?) -- also extremely sore. Not to be the bearer of bad news... but 6 weeks out, I am STILL pretty sore. I have that feeling that Dragonfly mentioned getting upright in the morning, but that only lasts a minute. I find that as the day goes on - especially by evening, I really notice the discomfort. I did, briefly, wear a real ( underwire) bra for a few hours yesterday, and I definitely could not have done that before. And I'm considering sleeping with nothing tonight, no bra at all...so moving, ever so slowly in the right direction. ( This probably sounds bad...Lest this freak you out.. I did return to work at 3+1/2 weeks , not physically strenuous, but long 10 hour days, and was pretty much out and about by then. And I bet I'm at least a decade older than you! Haha)

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

Oh I forgot Laura you had your MX at the same time. That was an intense procedure for me and painful, wonder if the combo like cider said is the reason for the additional pain?

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited June 2011

I know we all heal differently but reading about everyone's abdominal swelling and breast pain I was spared a lot. Early on I did have twinges of breast/sternal pain but it is all gone. My naturopathic doc recommended I take some boiron homeopathic pellets for pain, swelling, etc and I am now thinking it worked since I am not experiencing any now. I can't believe it is time for me to go back to work on Monday.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

Ok ladies... so I have the nipples and the clear protectors on from surgery. I'm so dang paranoid about bumping them, or squishing them etc... I was doing laundry and was so nervous I was going to squish them reaching into the washer. I'm nervous to sleep in my bed, because I know I'll roll over on to my stomach out of habit. Am I being a bit over the top or is this normal? They said keep the clear plastic ones on for a week, then gave me the little brown ones for 2 weeks, a total of 3.

• Jerusha
    edited June 2011

Yikes, sounds nervewracking! If you are on your back and you put pillows on either side of you, won't that keep you from rolling over?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

I don't know, I just so don't want to squish them or flatten them.

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited June 2011

BDavis - My surgery was scheduled for Aug 3rd in Feb but Dr. S became unavailable to do it that day. They wanted me to wait until Aug 16th but for multiple reasons, including that my daughter has to return to college that day, it was impossible for me to do it then. I believe that Dr. S rearranged his schedule so that he could do my surgery on July 29th. It's all worked out ok but my assistant surgeon and breast surgeon have changed as a result. Dr. Stolier is also not available on July 29th. Frown

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited June 2011

Thanks everyone - at least I know the pain is normal. I as concerned since I hadn't felt any pain there at all. In fact felt nothing! I definitely have the sternum pain and the other 'heavy breast' pain. Also if my arms are scrunched together I can definitely feel pain on the side of each breast - you are right Cider now that you mention it it is like milk coming in.  

Thanks for replying - I'm glad to hear it is par for the course especially since I did have mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited June 2011

Laura, I think the pain is good.  It, along with tingling and shooting pain, often means your nerves are coming alive and reattaching! I have lots of feeling in my breast (but different than before) and I found out that with implants you don't get that. One more reason to do it this way.

Feeling much better and getting my strength back. Actually went out to dinner with my husband and kids last night. Nice to start feeling like a regular person.  Health is the greatest gift of all!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

Kathryn I'm so glad to hear you're doing much better. That's awesome :)

Dr S must of done a lot of lipo on my legs/thighs that's where I am the most uncomfortable and swollen! Works for me, but ouch!!! :)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2011

Laura, I bet the nerves are hooking back up, I think this is a good sign! Maybe you'll get sensation back? My breast hurt like crazy for weeks and weeks, so bad after stage 1 that I couldn't even blow air on my skin!!! No bras! It all resolved. Yours will too!!

Kathryn, glad you are on the upswing!

Dragon, I did the protocol, whatever it was! (can't remember) but Sandy wore the brown things for a much longer time trying to protect them. I didn't squish my new one in compression garments or anything for several months. if that helps! 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

I think Dr S said really they only need to be protected with the things they sent home for 3 weeks. That's what you did springtime? Yours are just fine? I'm just over paranoid I think :)

• bdavis
    edited June 2011

Since I haven't even had stage I yet, I can tell this is going to be a LONG year... surgery, pain, surgery, avoid squishing and rolling and blowing and reaching... I am going to start taking extra vitamins starting tomorrow to try and heal faster... My big concern now is that I suffer from allergies which makes me cough a lot... The coughing is not a good combination with all this surgery... I better resolve my post nasal drip before July 21st... I think I have pulled stomach muscles from all my coughing... can you imagine how that will be with incisions to boot??

And TOOMUCH... I am glad Dr S could accommodate you... I am just as glad to be in the week before (earlier than I originally planned) because I need to drive my daughter to college at the end of August and my date will give me 5 weeks of recuperation before that long 9 hr drive. I will probably get my sister to come too since I will be worthless once we get there (can't carry boxes etc).

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited June 2011

Ok ladies , I sm in Nola for my consult tomorrow, eating too much... And if I am not mistaken nobody is here ATM?

• bdavis
    edited June 2011

Good luck and enjoy your time there.

• Jerusha
    edited June 2011

Louis13. Enjoy the fabulous food. Extra tummy is a GOOD thing :)

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited June 2011

Rosemary - Good luck on your consult tomorrow! Try to check out Dr. D's shoes if you can. Beverly always wants to know about that! Oh, and say hi to the good doc (if D) for me.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2011

Spring, gosh you are slipping.  See how Minnesota needs to remind these ladies to check out Dr. D's shoes for you because you forget how important this is to you????  Minn, Spring is so lucky that you have her back, or she'd never know anything about his shoes!!!

I did wear the nipple guards for six months.  Dr. D made several attempts to build them up for me using various techniques and after that last time, I did everything humanly possible to keep the projection.  It didn't work---the day I stopped wearing them, they quickly shrank down, but at least I probably set the record for wearing the guards the longest!

• K9Kim
    K9Kim Member Posts: 47
    edited June 2011

Hello ladies, I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted?! Geesh... Life can get away from you if you let it, huh?!

Been trying to catch up, hello to all the new ladies on here!! So glad you found us!! When I was going through Stage 1, not sure I would have survived without this board and all the wonderful women on here!! Spring, Minn, Sandy, Ginnie, Journey, Melinda... Just to name a few... :-)

Anyway I'm now almost 3 months out from Stage 2... I did my nips & I guess I'm ok with them. For those of you who were concerned about breast pain, immediate reconstruction vs delayed. I had both... One breast was delayed and one was immediate and I haven't noticed any difference? There is some tenderness & shooting pains from time to time, which as the other ladies have said is good, as it means the nerves are regenerating!!

My nipples are not even, the one that had a little of my old nipple left is kinda pointed down. Dr D said if it stayed that way he could even them out. I haven't been religious about protectors, like Spring I did the 3-4 week protocol & since then just go braless as often as possible. I still find they're plenty perky and definitely have to watch what I wear or I look cold constantly... Lol

I was gonna ask ya'all who have gone through stage 2 and are 6 months to a year out... I feel like I have all this misplaced fat now? It's so weird. I didn't have much fat at all starting out, I'm a size 4... but now, since the lipo I have all this cellulite popping up on back of my legs and butt?? Yuk!! I lool horrible! I stay active, workout 3-4 times a week and just don't understand what happened? Anyone else?? Plus I still have that flat look on my behind. Since I was a S-Gap girl...

Anyway, please don't misunderstand me, I'm thrilled with my results and I adore the center & everyone there. Just wondered if anyone else experienced this.

Guess. Stage 2b is in my future... Darn?! Lol

I'd love to connect with any of the new ladies on FB, I keep up with that so much better, because it's easily accessible on my iphone. So please PM me your info or look me up on FB under Kimberly Miller in Davenport, FL Love to hear from you!!!

God bless

• K9Kim
    edited June 2011

Hi Sandy!! Hi Minn!! Hi Spring!! xoxoxp

• K9Kim
    edited June 2011

Hi Sandy!! Hi Minn!! Hi Spring!! xoxoxp

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited June 2011

Sandy - Yes, I think Bev is slipping. No shoe questions in a looooong time! Where's the fun in that?! And yes, you definitely win the record for wearing the nipple guards, and in the process, spared anyone else from having to go thru that. Thank you, nipple pioneer!

K9Kim - Hi! I've been really behind on this loop, too. I don't know what to say about your lumpy problem. Now I'm going to have to go scrutinize my behind... I don't know what wold cause that, especially if you've stil been working out - I was going to say maybe it was from being less active since surgery, but that can't be it. I wonder if you could get an explanation from Ask the Doc?

My butt just doesn't seem any flatter than before. I know so many of you ladies have reported your pants falling down and all that, but my jeans all still fit the same. Maybe because he didn't have a very big breast to replace? Nor much of a butt to repair?