Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited September 2011
    Adey/Anniese - I live in Denver and would like to go to Marga's symposium. I haven't heard anything about it - can you give me more info?
  • JustLaura
    edited September 2011
    KBodie - I went from Colorado to NOLA for my Stage 1 in June and will be returning on Oct 17th for my Stage 2 - and it was one of the best decisions that I made. If you have specific questions ask away - everyone is very helpful here!
  • Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited September 2011
  • kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited September 2011

Hi KBodie!  I just want to say "Welcome".  You have found the greatest group of women here.  Everyone here is so supportive and I am not sure that I would have found the courage to actually go through the surgery without everyone here encouraging me and holding my hand, virtually, of course, but no less important than if it was in person.  When I first came on the board last spring, I read each and every post since Springtime started the thread 2 years ago!  It is a very busy thread, and people are always coming and going and checking on each other.  I hope you will find it as helpful as I have.

So . . .  stage 2 alumni - what should I pack to wear after the surgery?  Anything different than stage 1?  I am just thinking about what I need to wear on top to accomodate the nipple shields which I anticipate I will be wearing.(?)  I will take some loose yoga-style pants from stage 1.  Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited September 2011

welcome Kbodie!  Just sent you an email and I will follow up with my list of things I found valuable during stage 1.  So glad you found this thread, like Amy said, this is the best group of ladies, so supportive and informative...made the whole journey so much more bearable to know I had all these ladies here routing for me!

Amy - I just had my stage 2 two weeks ago and it was much easier than stage 1 IMO...hope you have the same experience!  What I found was that I didn't need to pack so many button down/zip up things cause it wasn't so challenging to get in and out of them.  I'm not sure if you are planning on having lipo done on the inner thigh/upper knee area but if that is the case they will give you a compression garment that goes below the knee to about high/mid calf.  I found having 3/4 length yoga pants was the best for this since it's HOT in NOLA but I wanted the bottoms of my compression garment covered.  Also mid-calf length A line black cotton skirts came in very handy!  I'm also a big fan of short sleeve hoodies if you think you are going to have drains.  I stayed at SCSH overnight and they were going to take out my drains before discharging me, but since I had a post-op the next day they left them in 1 more day just to be safe.  The short sleeve hoodie came in handy for that.  They give you the bras (not sure if you will need one if you are getting nipples done, i had NSM), compression garments, pads, swabs, etc. again so there is not too much you need to bring.  Just start taking your colace 2 days before and bring some smooth move tea if you have it.  I'm also a big fan of baby wipes after surgery.  Hope this helps, will let you know if I think of anything else. 

• JustLaura
    edited September 2011
    Thanks Dana! I'm just starting to think about my Stage 2 in October and I thought I would have the same compression garment I had for Stage 1 (in fact I have it packed in my bag to bring back with me and use again). I didn't know I would get a different one that would go below my knees (I'm definitely having my inner thighs done!). October will be better for that for the yoga pants - so I'll definitely bring those instead of the sundresses that I wore after Stage 1 in June (when the compression garment only hit mid-thigh). Thanks for the tip!
  • anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited September 2011

JustLaura & Adey - let me know if you decide to go Dr. Massey's Denver symposium.  Maybe we could all meet up there.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2011

Welcome KBodie!  You will find the support you need to get through surgery and recovery here!  We tell it like it is and we've always got somebody being the cheerleader (or guard dog!).  

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2011

Spring!  Where in OR are you going?  I'm only a little over 3 hours from Nordy.  Maybe we could do an OR NOLA reunion!!  I have a friend from FORCE who lives in Portland as well!!! 

I am having surgery on my ear tomorrow.  This will be the 3rd Sept in a row that I have had surgery.  And my 20th surgical procedure (not all of them have been major, but still).  Anyway, I am CRANKY today.  BLEH. 

I wish I could get all of my surgeries done in NOLA.  It's the only time I have ever been excited for surgery versus dreading it. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

Laura... They will give you new compression garments, so i would leave what you have at home.

Amy... Weather will be hairy this weekend. The rain has started but supposed to drop 15 inches this weekend... Sunday and Monday being the most rainy/windy... So prepare for a delay... And i don't know much about lafayette, sorry.

I found vinnie before i even found nola and knew that was my tattoo destination... And now a merger... I agree that just shows how the nola docs are perfectionists... I luckily get to meet vinnie in maryland, since that is a 2-3 hour drive for me... A plan for 2012.

Anyone travelling this weekend in or out of nola, bring your rain jacket and gulashes...

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited September 2011

Amy----My mom said she thinks she saw you in the waiting room here at Fairway awaiting your pre-op.  I got taken in  early so done...yeah.  Hope your surgery goes well.  let me know ur room number and i will just peek in later well after you have had surgery...if ur up to it.  I am in 204.  HUGS!!!!

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited September 2011

KBodie - Your pre-op and my post-op may overlap. I will be in NOLA for my Stage 2 on Sept 28 and my post-op is Oct 3. My stage 1 hip flap was June 1 with Dr. S. So much happier than I was with my implants. Sending you a PM.

• BrandyB
    BrandyB Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2011

Loving my new boobs! They are still a work in progress aesthetically but they already feel like a part of my body. I'm beginning to forget the whole thing happened. Of couse I'll be reminded in nov with stage 2, but I can see the light at the end If the tunnel. I even slept on my stomach for a few minutes. I haven't been able to do that in over a year when I had the stupid tissue expander put in.

Moral of the story... I'm very pleased.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2011

Brandy B, great! Glad you are loving your new boobs!

KBodie - I added your date above in the listing! Welcome to our little group! The ladies here are great.

Trisha!!! My daughter as an AmeriCorps position working for the city of Pendleton - way out in north eastern OR - Rodeo land with cowboys and tumbleweed, she says! She starts in a few days. However, I think we need to fly into Portland and make our way over. When we figure it out I will totally let you and Nordy know! I agree, OR NOLA reunion!!! 

Amy, You have Dr. D. if he is doing nipples you will be covering them in a lot of "goop" (at least this was how it was for me - I had one rebuilt -- not sure if he's doing the same deal, Dr. S does different - I hear no goop??). The goop stuff (antibiotic ointment type stuff) stains your clothes! I lost a good top. So be careful and don't wear anything you really love or make sure you cover your self with those ABD pads !! otherwise, I'd agree with Deno, same sort of clothes and deal. Just phase 2 is like a cake walk compared to phase 1. You'll see.

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2011

Hello ladies. Looks like things are gonna be really busy over the next few months! Still trying to work stage 2 into my busy life. Thinking about mid thanksgiving..the week of or 1st/2nd week of Dec. still up in the air able nipples especially considering the goopy stuff. I hope to have someone from the board there during my stage. Will call the center tomorrow to get a date hopefully. I love you all. Oh yeah i think we need a "like" button on the board also..

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Ro... I may need to bump my date to around then due to my stage 1b, two rounds, so my recovery clock has started over... Dr D will tell me tomorrow.

Dinner at NOLA tonight... Shrimp and grits and banana pudding cake... Yum!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2011

Spring is correct---I'm not going to be able to make it in October.  I've been all over the country this summer, and have NOLA next week, then Dallas, then Chicago on 9/22....possibly Orlando in mid-October.   I still want to meet you in person, Trishia!!  And I get to see Nordy again in 2 days...you need to come down to L.A. with her one of these days!

Sounds like the weather is pretty miserable for those of you in NOLA right now.  For one of my surgeries, I arrived in the middle of heavy rain.  After checking into the Place d'Armes, we got trapped inside due to flooding.  Had dinner the night before surgery from their vending machine because we couldn't get out---cookies and chips!

Anyway, looks like it clears up for Saturday the 10th---perfect timing for House of Pink.  Wishing all of you speedy recoveries!! 

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2011

SPRING!  I am only an hour away from Pendleton!!!  We so have to get together when you are up here!!

Sandy, my bff is moving to LA in October, so I will definitely be flying down there!  Allegiant has a direct flight from here to LA, so it's just a matter of picking a time that works!  

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited September 2011

Adey and JustLaura, let me know if you're going to Marga's symposium in Denver! Anniese and I will be there, and we'd love to have a BCO contingent there!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited September 2011

@brandyb -- feel the same way, though I only had one. HATED the tissue expander with such a passion. When I saw Dr. D. post-op, he thought I must be happier without "the rock" -- too right! Nice to feel soft(er) flesh there. Stage 2 will also be November. My daughter has all of Thanksgiving off from work so would like to be there. Goop or not, I will be ready.

@bdavis -- Enjoy your NOLA grub!! And safe travels home. Am sure it will feel so good to sleep in your own bed!

Trying to make House of Pink, but holding off on tickets until the next round of "nurses" arrive from the UK and we see how well I am really doing.

The rain in NOLA doesn't seem bad. My sister had more than 4 feet in her house after Irene with trees tossed around like match sticks. And she lives in the Adirondacks! What a mess.

• semper
    semper Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2011

HI all, what is plication?

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited September 2011
    Hi everyone!  I haven't been in here in a LONG time... and it appears this thread is still hoppin!  Just wanted to stop in and say HI.. hope everyone is doing well!! Laughing 
  • Springtime
    edited September 2011

Hi HottButt!! :) Nice to see you here!

Trisha! You are only an hour from Pendleton?? YAY!!!! Maybe we can get Nordy to drive out there? I will get with you both when we get it set up... 

Semper, Plication is something done at stage 2 sometimes. the doc goes in and stitches the abdominal muscles together so you have less of a "pooch" if your tummy bulges out. I did it from navel down and wish I didn't in the end. It looks nice but still feels tight 2 years later. Minnesota had it and loves it. It's a huge recovery sometimes for a minimal cosmetic benefit (my take) and the doc can help you decide if it will be worth it for you.

Ro, if you want to do Stage 2 this calendar year, you should call the Center SOON to get it set up. Everybody hear it happens that they get a gerzillion requests for stage 2 before end of year and they run out of spots. When I scheduled my Sept Stage 1 (it was June at the time) I also scheduled my early Dec stage 2, 6 months ahead! I wanted to take advantage of having reached the "out of pocket max" from my insurance!!!  

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Beverly... With my extended time here in NOLA they have pushed my stage 2 date... They gave me Dec 1, but with work obligations, I am currently set for Dec 16... If it changes again, i will let you know.

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited September 2011

oh no....we were almost at nola at the same time!

I am in countdown mode for stage 2.  I am also scheduled for a BSO but I am not having second thoughts because of possible side effects.  I will be reading lots of studies over this long weekend.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited September 2011

So.....oh wise sisters....stage 2. Do you think stage 2 December 15 (this is 10.5 weeks post stage 1) is going to be ok? Celeste says it is fine but I wanted to ask all of you. Trying to get it in before the end of the year (insurance) and between two of my kids birthdays (13th and 23rd). Will be in recovery on my own birthday! The planets will really have to align and no complications but really I just want to know that this window of time between the two is going to be ok. If the results are at all at risk, I will suck it up and pay a new year's worth of deductible and out of pocket max. Celeste would know, right?

• JustLaura
    edited September 2011
    KBodie - I checked the schedule to see what surgery you were doing (stacked, hips or DIEP) and it looks like DIEP. Right? From what I have heard about hips - the recovery is much easier. But I see you are signed up for DIEP. I am 11 1/2 weeks out from my DIEP right now and I could do Stage 2 now if needed. I still have discomfort and don't feel 100% (maybe 85%) - but if it was the end of the year and I wanted to get it in I could tough it out.  In fact I would way it was in the last 2 - 3 weeks that I could start thinking about Stage 2 without a big 'Oh Sh!t not again' thought running through my mind. So I would say it is doable.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited September 2011

didn't get released as planned from Fairway.  Skin around  the skin graft site looks very pink.  Dr. M wants to do more rounds of IV antibiotics.  Pray for no failure!!!  

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited September 2011

Prayers and healing vibes Michelle.

• Springtime
    edited September 2011

Prayers and light and healing Michelle!!!

Betsy, will update your date.

KBodie, I think that surgery date will be fine. I had stacked 4 flaps, front and back, and did 12 weeks and also wanted to get it in before end of year. You'll be fine!