Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited September 2011

Nordy - I have a bleeding disorder. Are you thinking of me?

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2011

Oooohhhh, maybe Toomuch! I think you may have the opposite as the person that I am thinking about... but still, you had reconstruction without issue, right?

• Nordy
    edited September 2011

PS - Is ANYONE going to NOLA in October for the Komen walk? Sandy - have you re-thought about going? Trishia? SallyM? Eve, when will  you get there? And JustLaura - you will be there about that time!

• Nordy
    edited September 2011

Oh, and by the way, can I just tell everyone (Kathryn, I hope you don't mind) how FABULOUS Kathryn looks??? OMG - If I could do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would have done immediate reconstruction!!! I love show and tell - Sandy looks awesome too - and she wasn't immediate reconstruction!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited September 2011

Nordy - My reconstruction was complicated by a post op bleed. I had to get 2 units of packed red cells. Ofcourse I was disappointed but my clinical course was well predicted by my hematologist so I was not surprised. PM me if you have specific questions.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited September 2011

Celtic-  Thanks for the website!

Jeskachi-  I don't know if I am a challenging case.  I do have capsular contraction on both sides and the right was radiated.  I used your advice about the bilateral in an email to Marga and Ashley.  Thanks so much.

Surfagirl-  Peaceful and healing vibes.

Springtime-  Dr Sullivan will be my other doctor if you feel like putting it up top!

Thanks to all for the sharing and discussion here it helps so much.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited September 2011

Well, the dreams have started. I wondered what all of you were talking about. The last two nights, I dream it is the night before surgery. They are fairly benign. I dream I can't eat because I am nervous or I am sitting in the waiting room the next morning. Just had the pre-op blood tests and honestly, after all the medical stuff of the past five years, cannot believe I am still not better at getting a simple blood draw. I am in for a world of hurt. WIsh they could sedate me as I walk in the door.

Yesterday was the last day I can take motrin, which I take regularly for migraines. And of course have had a migraine since Sunday so I wonder how I will shake it without my four motrin every 10-12 hours.

This week is food-making week. Been cooking up a storm and filling my freezer and I was shocked that it was already food-making week, like this is really happening and the time is fast approaching but then I just started cooking and kept at it.

Really rambling post I realize. I am nervous, antsy, out of sorts. I know I just need to get there as this whole thing is so normalized at the clinic that when you step foot in there, everything feels all right. Of course, I may feel differently when I am getting marked up and facing the immediacy. I just feel there is so much to do in the next 2 1/2 weeks I can't possibly get it all done and at the same time, feel so much like this is the next step, that I wish there were 100 new posts a day and I could just sit on the couch and read them all day until it is time to go to bed and do it again the next day.

Thanks for your support.

Restless is Iowa,

Keri

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

Keri... I am recuperating, and so I sit on the couch and read all day... so post away... You will be amazed at the fact that once you are there and ready to go a calm comes over you, or it did for me..

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2011

Mileha - Congratulations to you! Very cool! If you give me your date and specs I can add you to the listing above. I think mostly they center around the trunk area. I also got some attention to  my inner and outer theighs and inside knees!

Thinking of Surfa!  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2011

Adey, I added Dr. S for you!   : )

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

I am hoping Dr D might consider my neck... its not my face, so maybe?? Although, not sure you can lipo the neck for a good effect... it really is just sagging and needs to be tightened... thats another surgery I guess.

• blondelawyer
    blondelawyer Member Posts: 104
    edited September 2011

For those of you that had delayed reconstruction, how long after surgery did you start looking for a PS.  I had surgery a month ago and will start rads in a couple of weeks and then more chemo.  So it will be awhile before I am even able to get recon. 

I am really anxious about all of this--especially the insurance coverage part and as a planner it is driving me crazy.  I am in Seattle and haven't heard about great PS here that do DIEP so that has me thinking I will need to travel.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited September 2011

@Keri -- your anxiety and the desire to "get everything done" before the surgery is perfectly natural. I had two lists -- one for work, one for home and I swear a battalion couldnt have gotten even half of it done. I call it the deflection or "denial is not a river in Egypt" coping mechanism. Works fine. And you are right ... there is a calming atmosphere in the warm and friendly atmosphere of the Center unlike ANY medical experience you have ever had. Almost wish I could experience it again for the first time!! Will for Stage 2.

@Betsy -- glad to hear is going according to Hoyle this time!

@blondelawyer -- if you are looking at NOLA, fill out the forms, send in a photocopy of your insurance ID card and then stand back. I nearly blew it when I "thought" I was helping Vicki with the insurance. They are real pros, this is what they do and you can have confidence that they will let your know what costs you may have. And it saves YOU the insurance company hassle tango!

Hoping to meet Running and Kaitsmom tomorrow -- and get good news and the last drain pulled. That, unfortunately, is a wish and I don't think will happen -- still too "juicy" I fear.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

So Maggie... just how juicy are you?? I am 30-35 per drain still, and yesterday one drain was 47... WTF???

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited September 2011

Mileha - I had them suck out the area of my knees where they touched each other, and Dr S also did inner and outer thighs, the top of my love handles (the bottom part was taken as my flap) and also did a tummy tuck. I was pretty thin to start with but there were definitely parts where my fat liked to gather - and he hit most of them. Wish he had been more aggressive with my inner thighs :)

Betsy - regarding your neck - Dr S said "from the clavicle" down" :) Also if there is sagging the lipo won't fix that - will probably make it look worse. That is the thing about lipo - if the skin is stretched out it will still be stretched out and baggy.

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Oh Nordy - how can I mind when you publicly say I look fabulous :D  Thank you. For the record - you look amazing too. It is unbelievable what these doctors can do - especially when they start with nothing. Nordy - you look like you have playboy breasts (in a good way!) with amazing cleavage.  Sandy too - had so many issues and you would never know it - perfect, perky, jiggly breasts. Show and tell is amazing. The pictures on the center's web don't do their work justice. Each woman's breasts fit the woman they are attached to. It is not cookie cutter - it is very personalized. Love them!

• lisa645
    lisa645 Member Posts: 41
    edited September 2011

In terms of infection rates...is SCSH or Fairveiw better? What is the difference bewteeen the 2 places?  I am soo nervous. :/  Im one month out.

I let NOLA do all the insurance stuff. Its their forte.  Im OOn and my insurance preapproved without a qualm.  weird. So I was going to call the insurance comp to confirm...but V. (NOLa) said..dont poke the dragon and wake them up ...hahahaha so I didnt call and got my pre auth in the mail a couple of weeks ago.

Definately let NOLA do their insurance magic. Laughing

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Kathryn... I agree... My neck could be more taut for sure, but that's just one of my trouble spots... Probably losing 10 pounds would help with that, but then there is aging, and nothing I can do about that... and I look at my mom's neck and think hmmm I want to take care of that on me before I am old... genetics aren't always good... but she has great skin at 80... almost no wrinkles, so here's hoping I get the good genes and not the bad.

Dr D said he'd do my thighs, inner and outer... and I look at my knees, not much to take, but he can take what he can find... also true with upper abs... not much there... But I have remnant love handles and some back fat I will gladly let him go after... Mostly thighs and love handles.

• Nordy
    edited September 2011

Blondelawyer - I looked into going to UW and ultimately went to NOLA - if that tells you anything. Please PM Laughlines - she might be able to give you some insight.

• Nordy
    edited September 2011

Oh PS - Thanks Kathryn!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited September 2011

Betsy -- running about 30 every 12 hrs or so. And it didn't help that I fell yesterday -- what was running clear is now red again. Sigh ...

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Oh no.. what do you mean you fell... You are supposed to be resting in the zen garden...so 60cc per drain per day?? Or do you only have one drain? He won't pull it till its below 20 for 2 days in a row, or you have reached the 8 week mark.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Booked my flight for November... so I am committed.

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited September 2011

I am trying to book my flight.  working out my flights, times etc with my friend who is coming with me.  hopefully by the weekend i will have booked a flight.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Are you still Nov 1? You said something about changing your date... I am now Nov 14, so we will not be meeting up again unless you have changed dates too.

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited September 2011

Yes still November 1st.  I will be keeping that date.  Sorry your date got changed.  Because of  date changes I missed you and Kathryn.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Maybe stage IIb... LOL

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Betsy LOL!  I look at my mom's neck and I'm envious (but she had a facelift at age 62) - so clearly that's the answer. It's funny - we are painting our house - and now that it's done, we're starting that all of the things that looked fine before are looking a bit shabby. 

I asked Dr S to do some fat injections in my face - no such luck! But was happy he paid attention to the fat in my knees (that nobody else but he and I saw!)

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Betsy LOL!  I look at my mom's neck and I'm envious (but she had a facelift at age 62) - so clearly that's the answer. It's funny - we are painting our house - and now that it's done, we're starting that all of the things that looked fine before are looking a bit shabby. 

I asked Dr S to do some fat injections in my face - no such luck! But was happy he paid attention to the fat in my knees (that nobody else but he and I saw!)

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Oh... he wouldn't do it?? What if you went there and asked them to do a face lift, on a separate trip.. would they do it?