Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• dixiebell
    dixiebell Member Posts: 170
    edited September 2011

Lived in New Orleans my whole life - Katrina took my house and most of my memories but saved some. Relocated to California for 5 years HATED IT sorry cali girls just not me so now I am back in the NOLA area about 50 miles away - but know the city well and am there quite often. If anyone had questions please let me know.

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited September 2011

oh i hope i don't need 2b!  i want to be done!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

Me too... but.. you never know.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2011

BlondeLawyer, it's not too early to start looking for a PS.  Though I did have my surgery first, I ended up needing chemo.  So I've been sending my bloodwork to NOLA as they want to keep tabs on me.  They can tell you when you can have surgery after rads and chemo.  In my case, I'm having stage 2 exactly 3 months after chemo.  Tomorrow is my last infusion, btw!  

I'm getting excited about my stage 2.  Mostly I'm excited my sister is going with me.  We'll be spending a week together!  And 20 hours total in the car together.  Fortunately I sleep well in the car.   I think it will be fun to be in NOLA around Christmas.  

Lisa, since both SCSH and Fairway are both surgical hospitals, they both probably have the same infection rate.  I can't remember how many beds Fairway has.  From what I hear, I'd be comfortable with either one.

I'm hoping Surfagirl is doing well!   

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2011

I'm hoping Surfa is doing well too!

Good luck tomorrow Amy!! May your stage 2 be oh so much less complicated for you than stage 1!!!  

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Good luck Amy!!!!

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited September 2011

Bad news!  I finally (two weeks later) got a call back about my biopsy from my dermatologist about this weird rash I had (Nordy and Sandy saw the remnants of it) - and it appears to be an autoimmune issue. (Not scabes as one doctor diagnosed, or poison oak.) Not even sure what it is yet but I need more tests. My G-d, can't a gal get a break?  I'm wondering if the blood transfusion has something to do with it. The dermatologist thinks it could be medication (i.e., antibiotics) related. Specifically the Levoquin that I was prescribed when my iguinal lymph nodes were inflamed after my Stage 2. Still have some of it - it basically pops up on a new part of my body for one day - and disappears. Much better than the initial "oh my G-d won't this ever stop itching" rash.  Hoping it's nothing more than a weird rash.  Time (and more tests) will tell.

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Betsy - he told me he is more comfortable with the clavicle down. Wasn't interested in faces (and we know what he is interested in!)

Honestly, as wonderful as these doctors are at what they do you want someone who is doing face lifts on a regular basis. My friend just had a facelift and looks amazing. The doctor did it so she doesn't look the least bit pulled. Come to LA and you can stay with me for your facelift! :)

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Amy - thinking of you!

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Kathryn... I thank you for the invite... will keep it in my back pocket... My sister who has similar genes has anice tight neck, and is also much thinner, so I trust a little weight lose would go a long way... Just trying to come up with my stage II laundry list of wants... My neck has been on that list for a while, but if they aren't comfortable with it, then so be it.

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Betsy - you can always ask!

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Is the no lifting heavy items a 4 week restriction? I thought someone said 6 weeks on here somewhere... And what happens if you do lift something too heavy... Between my two surgeries, i am now at 8 weeks of not lifting so i am curious.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Oh and i am sure i have inadvertently lifted something... I realize it after i have done it

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited September 2011

Nordy - I'll be there Oct. 26 - Nov. 2.

Dixiebell - I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your house to Katrina. I'm glad you've made your way back to Louisiana and so close to New Orleans. I envy you natives the wonderful memories and experiences of growing up in that town. So unique and so beautiful and so enchanting.

Good luck Kaitsmom, and Running! Be sure to give us a shoe report! Surfagirl, hope you're coming round!

I love all the plastic surgery talk. Makes me feel more normal. I'm obsessed with my disappearing chin and wrinkley eyes. Having breast reconstruction shows you what miracles plastic surgeons can perform and opens up all sorts of possibilities I never would have seriously considered before. But I'm kind of scared to death when I see some of the bad results people have with their eye lifts and such. Geez! It's way scarier than breast recon! 

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited September 2011

Hey Kathryn, good to hear what you're up to. I was worried when you disappeared for a while.

Hope the rash turns out to be from something that is going to go away on it's own. -- like a response to the Levaquin. That is strange and potent medicine in the odd side effects associated with it( like tendon rupture!), but its good that we've got such powerful drugs.

I am perseverating on this new ( to me) thought that stretched out skin turns baggy and flabby looking after lipo. YIPES... if the skin is over fat, isnt it always stretched out? Is it a question of how MUCH fat? ACK... how do I know which places will look better and which worse after lipo!!!

So lovely to hear about all of the beautiful results from the NOLA grads. Wish we could have a giant show and tell :)

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Dixie/Jamie... Not sure if you saw my other thread post, but was wondering what your ex and his brother studied... I assume they are both Spadas? And i lived in Uptown Nola for almost 6 years, on Broadway and then Neron (which is kind of by Carrollton and Claiborne), a little higher than most spots in Nola. Did you also know Dr Sullivan was a student then? I think he was a year or two behind me.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Oh... And for about about a year i worked at Monroe's Restaurant on Magazine... Do you remember it? It is Byblos now.

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited September 2011

Hi all. Yesterday we arrived in New Orleans and are staying at the Monteleone, which is very nice. Super comfy beds. A lot of people say they felt calmer once they arrived in NOLA and that feels true for me too. We had a very nice dinner last night and walked down Bourbon Street. The young women standing outside the strip bars made me sad but otherwise it was great to walk around. This is my first time here.

Off to the Center for a day of preop soon. Hoping to see Surfa, Kait's Mom, and Celtic. I hope all went well for Surfagrl yesterday, and wishing an uncomplicated Stage 2 for Kait's Mom today. And drains out for Celtic!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited September 2011

Good luck, Running! So you'll get to meet Dr. Stolier today, too. He's such a nice man! Say hi to Dr. D for me, if u remember. Also check the shoes. I always get in there and then forget to. But my husband always remembers!

Jerusha - Skin is very elastic, and unless you're having a HUGE amount of lipo, it will all snap back - like after you have a baby. I think the skin on the neck is different, tho, for some reason.

BDavis - Did u know Dr. Sullivan when he was in school?

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited September 2011

Hi all! Thank you all for your good wishes. I am marked up with the purple pen ( I always think of 'Harold and The Purple Crayon'). I am nervous as heck and also a bit hungry! And lift-off isn't scheduled til 12:30 pm!! My husband and I have been running around Lafayette and Baton Rouge and now NOLA, since last Thursday evening and have had a ton of fun. What a great state this is! Anyway, it was all a great distraction until yesterday when I had my pre-op and I have been jittery ever since. Checking the boards has helped, too, and I am so glad you all are here. Hoping for smooth sailing, not just for me but for all this week's ladies. I'll check on when I am up and around. And darn, I forgot to check Dr D's shoes! Hope I remember today!

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited September 2011

Good luck SurfaGirl, Kaitsmom, and Running!!! Will be thinking about you this week!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited September 2011

Kathryn - I hope that by the time the results from the additional tests come back, your rash is long gone!

Kaitsmom & Running - thinking of you today!

Spring -  Can you add my Stage 2 with Dr. S to the list on Oct 20th. Thanks.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Eve,

I may have known him at the time... you know how it is when 25 years pass?? But no, I don't remember him from school... Maybe he was studying to be a great doctor in a pre-med program and I was having a good time.. LOL But funny to think our paths may have passed many years ago.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited September 2011

Surfa. Kaitsmom & Running -- missed you all this am!  :-( all in all, fairly good check-up, but, alas, juicy Celtic still has her drain! Staying at Hotel St, Marie in quarteer for the night -- my friend from England who flew in to care for me has special plans ... then he leaves tomorrow. :-( one more week in LA and then winging home for WNY. Looks like Stage 2 around December 20 ... confirmation to come!

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited September 2011

Hi there- Celtic, I am sorry I missed you this morning and sorry the drains are still with you. This too shall pass. I did have a nice moment to visit with Amy (Kait's mom) on her way into her surgery. My husband talked to her very nice husband for awhile during my angiogram. They say I have good blood vessels so I hope that helps tomorrow. I asked about Surfagrl and heard she was doing well but didn't actually see her.

The Center is beautiful and everyone was very nice and capable. I do feel good about my choice- I just wish it was three days from now! Thanks for all the good wishes and support. I will carry it all into the operating room with me.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Good Luck Sonya!!!

• Springtime
    edited September 2011

Thinking of you Amy! Good vibes, good vibes, good vibes!!

Anybody heard from Surfa?

Good luck Running!!! 

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Amy... how are you? And Surfa??

• Springtime
    edited September 2011

Amy's DH just called me! She is fine! No complicaitons at all this time! Dr. D. told him all went well. She may feel like she was "beat up in a back alley" (I bet that's the lipo!!) but she is good! Amy wanted me to post... Good news!

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited September 2011

Yeah Amy!! So wonderful to hear!