Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited September 2011

Paula!  Seriously!  You went sightseeing after your stage 1??  You are a tough lady!  I would think that since you could do that after the first surgery, you should be able to sightsee after the second surgery.  It is not nearly as bad as the first one. I saw City Park for the first time a couple of days ago, and I bet it will be beautiful at Christmas.  I am seeing Vinnie on the 13th, and I think we will be here until the afternoon of the 14th, just because of what time flights go out, etc.  When are you arriving?  It would be great to meet up. Right now we are planning to be here for a few days ahead just to do some sightseeing, and maybe go back up to Lafayette for some Satuday morning zydeco dancing.  Hoping to anyway . . .

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2011

Bdavis, Jeskachi and Kathryn bless both of you....things will get better! 

So Vinny will be doing tat's in New Orleans?? How does this work. How long do you have to wait after stage 2 before he can ink you up? Amy I may join you..New Orleans is only a jump skip and hop away from me. 

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited September 2011

KathrynLA - Sorry to hear that you'll need another abdominal surgery. You should have a perfect flat tummy after this one!

Betsy - Sorry to hear about your FIL and about your D&C. I didn't know that could be done in an office. I'd definitely need something more then Motrin to get through it. You are brave!

Kaitsmom - I can't believe that your flying home tomorrow. Glad to hear you're doing so well. Your description of your undergarments made me LOL! Wishing you safe travels.

• toomuch
    edited September 2011

KathrynLA - Sorry to hear that you'll need another abdominal surgery. You should have a perfect flat tummy after this one!

Betsy - Sorry to hear about your FIL and about your D&C. I didn't know that could be done in an office. I'd definitely need something more then Motrin to get through it. You are brave!

Kaitsmom - I can't believe that your flying home tomorrow. Glad to hear you're doing so well. Your description of your undergarments made me LOL! Wishing you safe travels.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited September 2011

Thank you all for your support!

Amy - you are doing awesome. So impressed with all of your laps and flying home tomorrow. Safe travels!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2011

Betsy, I'm so sorry for your family's loss.  You have had a heck of a year...I hope the rest of it is quiet and a time of healing.

rogam, I think it's still 12 weeks to wait for tattooing. I heard Vinnie will be in NOLA once a month. He's also willing to go elsewhere in the country if a group can commit together.

Kathryn, I went through much the same and Dr. D had to clean out my abdominal incision area too, due to a seroma and resulting capsule of scar tissue.  It was so nice to have the bulge gone after my first surgery with him!   To answer your question, I'll be in Orlando Oct 12th-16th, leaving late Sunday evening for NOLA, I hope.   I may need to fly three different airlines to accomplish my goals for the trip. That is so funny that we keep ending up in the same cities across the country at the same time!   I'm going to Chicago next week---will you be there???

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited September 2011

Sandy--what's bringing you to Chicago?

• semper
    semper Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2011

Yay sonya

I understand that if my agreement says zero I will owe zero but to go all the way there and not really know how much I will owe is a bit nerve wracking. I dont usually just take doctors words for it when it comes to money.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

Semper.. I understand... They told me zero and when I got there, my paperwork said zero... I suppose you could ask if they would mail it to you for you to review??

Amy, I also was out and about in NOLA after both stage 1 surgeries... much more so after the hips than the DIEP, but my body was exhausted by the time I had the DIEP...

Thank you all for your kind words... We're doing fine. My husband's dad was ill for a long time.

Kathryn... did I just read that you are in a cancer walk with weekend? Good luck!!

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

So... just spoke with Jeanine and with my juicy hips, she wants me to keep my drains a couple more days to avoid a seroma... ugh... but I do not want a seroma.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2011

Hi Brenda,

The National Bridal Market at the Merchandise Mart!  For the first time, I am exhibiting.  We've manufactured our own exclusive line of bridal apparel for several years and now I'm going to offer it at wholesale.  I usually attend as a buyer and make it a quick trip, but this time I'll be there for six days.  If you are around, I'd love to meet you and CandDsmom, since I missed her last year. PM me if you want to try to get together!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2011

Amy, the nipples do really shrink shrink shrink, do not be concerned. One day you will look down and say, where did they go? 

Betsy, sorry for your loss. Hang in there about the drains. It won't last forever. It just seems that way!!!

Glad for the news that Surfa is up and about! Thanks Amy!

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited September 2011

So I have survived the first leg of my trip home and am now on a two hour layover before my next flight. Just wanted to let everyone know that I had a nice visit with Sonya (Running) and her husband Tim before I left. Sonya was pretty wiped out but also seemed pretty upbeat for her first day after surgery. I got to see pics of her two lovely children, and one of her running. She said those pics were her motivation. So I am wishing her a speedy recovery so she can tie those running shoes on again soon! I did let her know that there is a 5k tomorrow in NOLA but she didn't think she would try that. haha Speaking with her once again reinforced for me how valuable a resource this board is, a great source of strength and knowledge. Thank you all for being here.

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Sandy - LOL! Nope, won't be in Chicago this week...but depending upon my surgery date I may be in  Las Vegas the end of October, or SF the beginning of November. Any plans to go there? I arrive in Orlando about 3PM on the 16th - What time are you leaving? Maybe we can wave to eachother in the airport.

Betsy, yes, I am doing the 5K walk with FORCE (the BRCA support organization). Sandy, any chance you will be there?  Also, a small plug here (not sure if it's allowed - let me know if I should delete this) but we've all been touched by cancer in many ways in our lives, and if you'd like to make a donation to the Lynne Cohen Foundation for Ovarian Cancer Research here is a link:

http://kickincancer.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=464364&supid=336923118

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Amy - glad you hear you are almost home. Safe travels!

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Amy - glad you hear you are almost home. Safe travels!

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

LeslieT - are you lurking here? How did stage 2 go? We want details!

• Springtime
    edited September 2011

safe home Amy!!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2011

Amy, I arrive in NOLA Tues Dec 13.  I'll be arriving from a 10 hr drive (unless we stop in Memphis for some BBQ!), so I'm not sure what time.  I don't know what the 14th looks like; how much time do appts take before Stage 2?  I'm thinking we'll try Hope Lodge the first two nights and then that rental house I used after Stage 1 for the last 4 nights.  

So the sightseeing I did after Stage 1!  I was a little forced into it.  Mom was with me and instisted on eating out for meals (though the landlord did make us a few meals later on).  Plus, she HAD to go to church on Sunday, so we went to Jackson Square, Cafe Du Monde and then a bit of French Market.  It was a bit much, but I had Percocet!  And napped 4 hours when I got back that day.  Oh, and all this time mom had her cane from recent knee surgery.  We looked like a couple of misfits!  

Kathryn, I don't know how I missed that you are having another surgery.  It has to be helpful that you don't need to question what's going on or that you are told to keep on waiting to see what happens.   

My last chemo infusion was Wed!  Woohoo!   Though I feel like crap right now; just got to get through this last set of side effects.  Chemo brain is in full force and I'm apparently saying some funny things by some of the reactions.  I can't wait to see how I feel after I don't get another infusion at the two week mark!  My onc said it will take a good 2 months to feel decent again.  Stage 2 is exactly 3 months after last dose.  My bloodwork has apparently been decent.  I've been upgraded to 'gym' status from 'PT' status by my physical therapist.  I'm also going to work with a nutritionist.   

Take care everyone! 

• Springtime
    edited September 2011

Paula, congratulations on being through your last chemo!!! Your life begins again!! I rememer being stupidly happy for 6-8 weeks after finishing treatment. It was like emerging from a dark place out into the air and light! 

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Paula - you are so right about my surgery - there us a huge sense of relief in knowing that it's going to be taken care of. Now the only wait is for a surgery date. Promising myself - this is it!

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

So I told my gyno this morning after the in-office D&C, next time we are going to teh medical center for some drugs...

• toomuch
    edited September 2011

For all of you ladies with upcoming Stage 2 procedures how long were you told you had to stay in NOLA? I know that Kaitsmom left post op day #2. Airfare is great right now but I don't know when to make my return flight!

Betsy - Well at least it's behind you. I hope that you get good results!

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited September 2011

Betsy - in office? You are way stronger than me!!!!

Toomuch - my surg is on nov 1 and my post op visit is on nov 4th and I will fly home after that.

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Too much.  The clinic said I didn't need a post op, but I wanted one (which was good for me since I lost a lot of blood and it took a few days to figure it out). So, I had my surgery on Thursday and had my post-op on Monday. Could have flown home that day if there were flights and if I hadn't had a complication.  But I was the exception to the rule (as always!)

Betsy - drugs, yes!  I am all for the no pain approach. Feel better soon!

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited September 2011

For the first time in my life I purchased travel insurance for my flight home. Just covering all possible bases. I hope after these surgeries I am done with surgery for the rest of my life.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

I am having stage II on Monday, post op Thursday morning, but flying home Friday because the Thursday pm airfare was twice as much... I am the week before Thanksgiving, so I am getting penalized... I also bought travel insurance, as I did in July...

• toomuch
    edited September 2011

Thanks for all of your responses. Tigsun and Betsy - I've never purchased travel insurance before but that seems like a great idea.

Kathryn - I bled a lot with Stage I. I'm hoping that I get through Stage 2 without that complication.

It's strange my packet doesn't include a date for my post-op visit. I'll give the center a call on Monday. Knowing that would definitely help me plan my travel! 

• Springtime
    edited September 2011

Oh Betsy. You should get a medal. In office D&C. UGH. Good grief. 

About Stage 2 post ops. They arent' required. I wanted one before I left town, and none of the docs were available, but they let me see one of the nurses there, which is almost better. They take their time and you can get a ton of supplies if you need them. It's not required though. But good if you have questions or feel you need some closure. Didn't do a post op after my Stage 2b.  

These ladies are next up... Seems we have a break next week!

Sept 28 - Jerusha - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA. 

Sept 28 - Ref - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA  

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2011

Toomuch, I asked for the post op visit.  I need that closure like Spring mentioned.  I think that's why I got scheduled for Thurs surgery.