Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited September 2011

Tigsun.  I leave on the 30th - maybe we'll be able to wave or give each other a quick hug in passing! No flight info yet but I'll keep you posted.

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited September 2011
    KathrynLA - I'll miss you by a week this time. I'm in NOLA the 15th - 20th. I would have enjoyed seeing you again. I hope that this surgery is much MUCH easier for you and you get the proper results!
  • kathrynla
    edited September 2011

I know. I wish we overlapped again. I was so spacey and out of it last time...but I'm excited that you're ready for stage 2!  How are you feeling - emotionally and physically?

• Djweinstein
    Djweinstein Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2011

Hi all--I think (!) I got approval to go see Dr. Dellacroce by my insurance and I'll be heading out there for a Oct 17th appt! :)  Now I need to pick a surgeon for the mastectomies.  Since I had cancer already (9 years ago) and I'm BRCA1+, my oncologist (here in LA) wants someone who can do very thin flaps to get as much breast tissue as possible.  Does anyone have advice on whether Dr. Stolier or Dr. Lagarde would be better?  Thank you so much!

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Congratulations DJW!  I'm so happy they approved you! I am not sure which surgeon would be better. I had cancer and Dr. Stolier did my surgery. He was great. Very knowledgable, takes his time, wonderful bedside manner. I'll be interested to see the answers regarding the differences in the 2 surgeons.  I think I was matched with Dr. Stollier because he was in network.

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited September 2011

DJW - Congrats you can't be in better hands than in NOLA.

I can't compare the two but I had Dr Lagarde and she left very thin flaps. Ultra thin. I felt I was in good hands with her and only met her the day before my surgery. She also did the SNB for me and removed only two nodes (I was pleased with this - I did not her to take nodes liberally). She did exactly as I asked and is very experienced.

I will be having my Stage 2 surgery with Dr D on the 17th at noon (so please tell me your appt is in the morning I don't want him rushed) - maybe I'll see you there! I'll be in the center for my pre-op appt at 10am then surgery 2 hours later!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited September 2011

Hi Dj!

Congratulations on getting insurance onboard!

I am a long time FORCE (www.facingourrisk.org) member (not BRCA but def. Hereditary).

I had delayed recon (2 1/2 years after DX) in NOLA in 2007-8 and am a happy grad!

Let me know if I can be of any help,

Warmly

Marcia

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2011

Kathryn and Joasta, I added your dates above in the list.

Kathryn, sorry, I must have missed yours! 

DJ, do you want me to add your surgery date above? If yes, post in here or PM to me your date, surgeon and what you're having done (as much or little as you like, see examples above) and I'll addd you to the list.  

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

DJW... I wanted thin flaps too... I had a consult with a NYC doctor (who also operates in NOLA) who uses Dr Stolier and he said he asks him to retain some "fat" which concerned me... so at my consult with Dr Stolier, I specifically asked him, and he said he takes all that he can without compromising the skin.. and I can vouch that he does as he actually went so thin on my right side that I had issue.. I think both are excellent or Dr D and Dr S would not use them... It might come down to insurance. Dr Stolier is separate from teh Center and accepts most insurance as IN network.. Dr Lagarde is billed through the Center (to the best of my knowledge, based on what I had been told)

• Springtime
    edited September 2011

I loved Dr. Stollier. He is so knowlegable and so nice. 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2011

WOW!  Spring........You are too good!  Ladies...anyone following.......I am a 2 year grad!....had to come back to this site and see the exact date.  9/22/09! I had prophy BLM and immed recon DIEP per Dr Dellacroce then stage 2 Dec 10(?)2009.  I am Sooo soo soo happy/grateful/relieved....I DO remember 2 yrs ago being in SCSH and being cared for Soooo WELL......Nonetheless.....I am back to life and new and improved.  As I think about the past 2-3 years I have no doubts I made the right decision.  The ladies here(esp the grads ) I think all feel the same.  There is magic and healing that takes place.  I'm awaiting onc appt in a couple weeks.  No issues, no need to worry-I did ALL I could and am HAPPILY living in this body.....as I tell all..'You are the one who has to live in your body the rest of your life'...Dr DellaCroce and Sullivan GET that! Take care!  xoxojjd  PS...Melanie my partner in crime now in paris....stay tuned via FB...cheers!

• joasta7
    joasta7 Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2011

Thanks Springtime for adding me to the list!  

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2011

PJ - SO awesome to see you back!!!

DJ - Welcome!

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Just Laura - I hear Dr D does morning consults and Dr S does them in the afternoon. No rushing for you!

• Springtime
    edited September 2011

Nice to hear from you 2 years out PJ!!! I know the feeling, love the bod!! :) Glad you are well and happy.

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited September 2011

DJWeinstein -last week I had a prophylactic double mastectomy done by Dr Stolier. He spent three hours on the mastectomy because there was virtually no fat layer between my breast tissue and my skin. I have plenty of fat elsewhere but apparently had none there. So he took a great deal of time and was very meticulous about removing as much breast tissue as possible. He is also just a lovely human being. Although he is a leader in his field (nipple-sparing pioneer), he doesn't have a huge ego and always was willing to talk as long as I wanted. He is also very responsive by email.

Yesterday I flew home to Sacramento and it is great to be back with my family. I wanted to thank everyone who provided the advice that made the New Orleans trip so successful, from hotel suggestions (Homewood Suites perfect for recovery, Hotel Monteleone great for before surgery) to the what to bring list. Now I am at home resting on my Leachco body pillow, thanks to our wonderful community if advisors. If I can add a suggestion for a happy New Orleans trip, have lunch at Coquette. It is walking distance from the Center in the Garden District and the food is wonderful. We ate there the day before surgery and also right before leaving, so the meals were nice bookends to our time in NOLA.

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited September 2011

Running - so glad you have made it home and are recovering comfortably!

More kudos to Spring!  She has seen to it that I get the compression garments that she used.  Last night I tried the Marena and I had the best night's sleep I have gotten since leaving the hospital!  (This after a very uncomfortable day in the Dom).  The difference in comfort is surprising!  For any of you struggling with comfort issues in your compression garments, please try the Marena if you can. Haha  I sound like a paid advertisement.

plainjane - Congrats on being a 2 year NOLA grad!  It is so encouraging to those of us still going through it to hear from you, Soring and others, about how pleased you are with the results!  Wishing you a good check up in a couple of weeks!

So, husband and I are already sitting here talking/planning for our December trip for tats. (This from a woman who, after her first visit to the city a couple of years ago, for "pleasure", came home and said, "Eh, well, I didn't really like NOLA.  I don't care if I ever go back."  So, yes, the docs work their magic on our bodies, and apparently our minds as well!  Husband has always loved NOLA, now I do as well!!  

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

So many satisfied customers!!!!

And I must add what a gentleman Dr Stolier is.. He definitely goes above and beyond... After my MX and my skin issues, he came in twice to the hospital to check on me...  and after my consultation in May, he emailed me wih some information about recurrance rates.

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2011

Gosh....just gushing!  I am happy and NEEDED myself to know I would GET BACK to life so if I'm helpin someone else..... all the better!  2 years out (of recon- 3 yrs post dx and eeks 5 yrs post ADH=heavy surveillance)...it really IS what my surgeon told me when she called me to tell me she had some disturbing news.....it IS a bump in life BUT it felt like more and WAS more.  Everyone here was/ has/continues to be soo good to me and I so appreciate.  Seriously who would have thought a blm/recon could be SUCH a positive experience.  Seems like every time the topic rears it's head my immediate response is ....".If you ever know anyone faced w/ any of this please give them my number I am HAPPY to listen, talk and know WAAAAY too much about all this...if not by personal experience then by  breast friend experience"...It is JUST so much for someoen to have dropped on them.  OK...now on another note- probably belongs to a different thread but.......I started effexor post Tamox because I was an emotional basketcase 6 weeks into...my Family practice md wrote for it because my onc wasn't comfortable...(?)...at any rate went back to family practice to learn they cannot write for antidepressants anymore due to reimbursement/billing.  Honestly I'd love to wean off but it's not one of those drugs you can just cold turkey stop so now I get to add a psychiatrist to my list of md's! Really not complaining BUT considering the cost of everything and I know my own workplace budget issues I am so GLAD I went ahead w/ everything when I did rather than waiting. I'm also just SOOOo glad and so advocate US to be the drivers and make the decisions...It is truly a maze and it is Sooo important to educate yourself. Ok stopping.......Have a date w/ someone new soon.......we'll see but just so happy o know if I decide to whip off my shirt I can do so confidently...it is a big deal-yes he'll have to be special for that to happen but you all know where I'm coming from except many of you have great guys that were great thru-out.....ok....all the best to you all....going to try and keep up esp in Oct! and hoping to get back to nola someday!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited September 2011

Home! Dreadful flights, but home. In my own bed. Work again on Monday, and then marking time till December and Stage 2. YES!!

• nowords
    nowords Member Posts: 70
    edited September 2011

Jerusha...Wow! Thanks for the explanation on the way things are metabolized re Tamox  etc.

Where did you gather all of that info...some of it I have not come by and for awhile I was obsessively searching for data....Foot in mouth

Amy

• Springtime
    edited September 2011

PJ, so nice to hear from you. You have come a long way and prevailed!

Amy, I am so glad you are enjoying the Marena garment! You did sound like a commercial, but I know EXACTLY why you did! Honestly ladies, if you can afford it, do it. 

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited September 2011

Amy, hi there! Good to hear about how much better the Marena is!! Can you describe HOW it's better? Softer fabric? Thinner? More give?(could you wriggle into it all on your own steam?). Is it a stage 1 or whatever they call the kind for first few weeks? Ok ... Last question... How does sizing compare to the hospital issued Dom, so we know what to order? I have 2 sizes of Dom from my DIEP, but I'll probably need bigger, right? I'm figuring that I will see what they put me in and then order right away for when I get home. Even that, post op day 4, seems like a long time in the Dom... You were suffering so ... Maybe I should order now!!

Nowords, I'm so glad it was helpful . I felt a little pedantic! I work with that data every day.

Spring, I goofed ... My Stage 2 is on the 29th, not the 28th!

Soccer mom and Plainjane, it's so affirming to hear from happy grads. Thank you!

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited September 2011

Haha  - here goes more of my commercial endorsement.  The one I wore last night was similar to the Dom - a stage1 garment.  It has a zipper, and is crotchless.  But . . .  the fabric is softer by far, and thinner, and there must  be more give because I noticed the zippers lay flatter while I was in bed.  Now, sizing . . .  I don't know . . .  because there is no size on it.  Maybe Spring could help us with that one.  I know I am a bit smaller than when I came home from the hospital, at least my husband says I am, but the Dom still fits quite tightly and I couldn't tell the difference by that.  In fact, the way I know I am smaller is actually by my sandals!  When I left the hospital, I could barely buckle them at the ankle. (My ankles are not tiny even under normal circumstances). Now, they are back to what they were - so a good 1/2 inch or more difference in size.  Also, the first few days my legs were so heavy - no exageration - that I could barely lift them when I got into bed at night.  Thats how much fluid I was holding!!!  And . . .  even though I will not wear them because of the incision, I got into my jeans today with no problem.  I wasn't going anywhere - they were just sitting there and it was too tempting not to try them on!!!  I am 10 days out . . .

• Springtime
    edited September 2011

I can't remember what size they are. I honestly can't! is the tag gone from the black one too? That was my fav one, no zippers!! Glad you are getting some comfort out of them, Amy!

I remember them still being a lot of compression, but the fabric is softer to the skin and doesn't hurt so much, just so much more comfortable overall. The fabric is superior. 

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited September 2011

Hi everyone,it''s been a while. I too am almost 2 yrs out from my bilateral stacked diep/lumbar. Wow did I go through all of that.Yes I did and the results are wonderful.

As some of you may remember a week after I came home from my surgery my son was hit head on in a car crash by a drunk driver, thank God he survived, with only his legs crushed. In another week I will travel to Chicago to watch him run his first marathon which he is doing in my honor, for the Komen for the Cure. Life is good.

Jennifer, my hall buddy  I think of you often and just rip that shirt off, they be mighty fine tatas!!!!!! Shari so glad you dropped by the house on your visit to LA and no the kitchen remodel is still not finished, but we are getting closer. Bev  & Eve would love to meet you gals some time. Sandy & Kathryn I hope to see you soon and Kathryn good luck with your surgery.

Speedy recovery to all the gals having surgery !!!

Love to all.

Stephanie 

• Nordy
    edited September 2011

Stephanie - I was SO great to see you too!!!! I can't wait to see what your kitchen looks like when it is finished. It is going to be gorgeous! Jet Blue is having a big sale to Long Beach - so we may be seeing you again soon!

Yes, ladies, I too am 2 years out from my bilateral hip flap (August 20, 2009). I have never looked back. It has been the BEST thing I have ever done for myself. I LOVE my boobs! And you know... I was at Duran Duran tonight... and I think Simon Lebon might love them too.... LOLOLOLOL! Well... we were third row and all... Tongue out

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited September 2011

Nordy--I saw them in Chicago, from the floor about 10 feet away. What a fun show!  Those guys have aged well.

• Nordy
    edited September 2011

Jeskachi - Where is my "like" button when I need it most?!

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

PlainJane - so glad to hear from someone who's a few years out.  I know for myself, I was also told it was just a small bump in life - and 3 (coming up on 4 surgeries) later in 9 months, I know it hasn't been a small bump. Still hoping to look back on this and smile someday. But not there yet.

Amy - I still haven't really gotten to know NOLA and enjoy it. Foodwise, yes - but not much more.  My husband is probably taking the kids for the next surgery, so they too will get a chance to fall in love.  Hoping this next surgery leaves me with a little more strength to enjoy.

Stephanie - hope to see your kitchen one of these days!