Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited September 2011

Honestly, I thought the last surgery was the LAST surgery...but here I am starting from scratch again. They want a new CT scan done,  plus I need a CT scan to review the small things they found in the last CT, chest x-ray, EKG, bloodwork, plus I need a mole check...yeesh.  This is a fulltime job getting ready for another surgery. Plus it is also bringing up fear that I won't be done this time.  I've been really optimistic on the surface but inside it is pulling me apart.  I feel like my body has gone through so much in such a short amount of time. How are you other women coping? I'd love some tools and suggestions! Thanks

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited September 2011

Kathryn - I know how you feel. I am getting ready for my stage 2 on Wednesday. Flying out tomorrow. There is a good possibility that I will need to replace some of the tissue in the left breast with my abdomen. It was good we only used the hips in stage 1. The goal is for this to be the last surgery but since this will be part stage 1 and part stage 2, I need to be mentally prepared for yet another if necessary. This is my 7th surgery in 2 years (one for my knee) and the stress of it all is wearing on me. Still, I'm getting closer to where I want to be so hopefully this surgery will do the trick. Coping? Part being really informed and prepared and part distracting myself with everything else in life. Don't know how well I am doing with any of it but I'm trying.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

I hear you all... I have had  6 surgeries since last December and one more coming up in November... and Rhonda, as you know my 4th surgery this summer was my second stage one... things get thrown at us and we have to accept it all... but my body is for sure tired, has had too much anesthesia, but I am confident that 2012 will be awesome!!!

• ref
    edited September 2011

Betsy, yes! Surgery-free in 2012!!!

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2011

Yes Ladies I am claiming on surgeries in 2012. I will be 40 in May and I plan (if it is God's will) to travel all year in celebration of Life!

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited September 2011

Ref, Betsy, Kathryn.. I am so there with you. I leave Tuesday for stage 2 on Thursday and I am convinced that something is amiss and I will need more than just the usual. I feel like I drank bottle of superglue and I am all stuck to myself from tummy to breasts, with a small ok- zone in between. My tummy has never gotten flat -- in fact, I tried on my Dom from before and it is just as tight as it was when I stopped wearing it. What is up with that? And just for a little extra entertainment I took a very acrobatic fall and now have a broken wrist and torn rotator cuff. Geez. I am just really sick of all this and dreading what is ahead. On the bright side... I did get packed today (yay -- my very least favorite thing) , arranged all the toiletries/pharmaceuticals in the house ( nesting?), went thru all my summer clothes ( more nesting?), baked cookies to send to my kids for a sweet New Year, put the bills in a pile to deal with tomorrow night, packaged up all the stuff I had lying around to return, and polished my toes! I never got out of my pjs but I got a lot done!

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited September 2011

Question for you guys that have already had Stage 2....how soon before you could drive? Or more specifically will I be able to drive 7 days post-op?

Thanks! 

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited September 2011

Jerusha!  that must have been an acrobatic fall!  sorry to hear you have more to deal with going into stage 2 - hoping you have an easy one...

Laura - I drove 7 days after my stage2 but in my case i think it was a little too soon - I didn't go too far but I wasn't exactly comfortable driving.  I was off the pain meds for 48 hours but I has a lot of nausea after my stage 2 so that might have delayed it for me - and I also had the hyst which contributes to my recovery time.  It's hard to say, definitely be off those pain killers for a while before trying it.  I would say I was driving comfortably about 12 days post op - short local drives around town now more than 20-30 minutes.  It took me until about week 4 to be able to drive upwards of 1 hour each way to my destination.  Hope this helps!

Surgery free in 2012?  That sounds good, where do I sign up?!?

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited September 2011

Please put me on the "No Surgery in 2012" list!!  ("From our lips to God's ears")  

Go, Ro!  Put those traveling shoes on!!

Laura, I drove a friend to an appt that was just down the street, basically a mile or two each way (rainy day, she didn't want to walk), 8 days out. Umm, ya, too soon for me . . .  uncomfortable, and I felt even more nauseous, and dizzy when I got home.  I'm back on pain meds at night, so its a moot point for me now.  Hope to be off by then end of this week - that will be 16 days out - and then try things again.  It might be best to take a "wait and see" approach . . .

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited September 2011

Just stopping by to wish everyone who observes the holiday, "L'Shana Tova!"

(A sweet and healthy New Year!)

It is Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year beginning this Thursday evening at sundown,

Best wishes from my family to yours!

Marcia

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Thanks Marcia!

L'Shana Tova back at you! 

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Thanks Marcia!

L'Shana Tova back at you! 

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited September 2011

Thanks Kathryn!

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Hi Laura. I was a week out from Stage 2 when I got home and drove the next day (had been off pain killers about 5 days.) I also had a tummy tuck but I did just fine.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

I drove after stage one at 2 weeks, so I was assuming I would drive at 1 week after stage 2... I plan to be back at work one week post op... but just for two days and then I have another 5-6 days off for thanksgiving.

• ref
    edited September 2011

Marcia - L'Shana Tova! And, guess what, I am here in NOLA. Meeting with our friend Sally tonight for dinner. Tomorrow is my pre-op where Dr. S talks me down from the roof. Thanks for all your help. I'll call you post-op.

Wishing a great year ahead to all of you! I will be celebrating at SCSH.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Rhonda... Good luck Wednesday... I will be thinking of you... call me too,

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Oh and Jerusha... you are Wednesday too... Sometimes it is hard for me to believe how many of you fine women I have met.. its like 15 or more women. I guess that means I have spent too much time in NOLA this year.. Jerusha... I know you are concerned about long term effects from lipo... have you asked the doctors about it??

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2011

I had 4 surgeries in less than 2 years. I had a Stage 1a, 1b, 2 and 2b. Everything but the 2b was part of Dr. D's master plan - so three planned surgeries and 1 "extra" (then tats!). I waited almost a year between 2 and the last one, 2b. There were a few little things bothering me, but I wasn't sure I wanted to do surgery again. I now how you all feel! However, I ended up doing it in the end because Robyn talked me into it ( and then she could't go), but Sandy and Eve and Liz and Amy and Melinda and Pam and Nordy were there!!! How could you pass that up? Plus getting closer to perfection?

I am now glad I did the 2b. I am very happy with all my results -- boobs, tummy, butt and other places!! Now it seems surgery was a long time ago (my 2b was the end of last Oct, so not even a year!) and I am strong and healthy and it just seems like the "real me". Sometimes I forget how much work went into getting this bod to where it is today! I'm just living the dream!

I think this is exaclty why Drs D & S & M do these surgeries and spend so much attention getting everything perfect. We get our lives back. I am so glad to have a strong, healthy, working body. And I look and feel so good!

Stephanie, I hope I will see your new kitchen some day!!!  I will be on the west coast after at the end of the year and into the new year, but up in Oregon. I am going to see Trisha and Nordy! (besides my older daughter!) The whole fam is coming.... Yay!!

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited September 2011

Spring, do you mind if I ask what the 2b was?  You may have told me/us, but if you did, I have forgotten.  I know it is early days yet, but I am thinking there is a possibility that I will need a bit of "tweaking", before I have the tattoos done.  I am hoping that everything settles and I know sooner rather than later, since it would be good to have that part done before the end ot the (insurance) year. Then I would wait for the tattoos til early in the new year . . . 

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Hi Spring - I was wondering what you did in your 2B surgery.

Hope to meet you when you come to LA. We can all rendezvous in Stephanie's (finished!) kitchen.

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

LOL! Amy, I didn't see your post when I sent mind. Great minds...

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2011

Driving - I drove probably a little over a week out from stage 2. No problems here, but I don't really do pain meds - so was likely off of them during the day and only taking at night. Hmmm... I am laughing because right now I want to go and take one of my pain meds - that may be expired because they were from stage 2 - because my mouth is in agony. I freaking hate dental work and now I have just "married" an orthodontist for the next 18-24 months. Yippee - this should have been done when I was 14!!! I think I am going to send my mom the bill... LOL

Marcia! (hold on... scrolling back up to see what I need to wish you...) L'Shana Tova!!! Happy New Year! (I knew it was Rosh Hashana, but did not know how to wish you a happy one in Hebrew!

Ref and Jerusha! - You will both be GREAT!!! 

• Nordy
    edited September 2011

If you all have a party in LA - I am totally flying down. Just so you know... and YES, I just invited myself!

• Nordy
    edited September 2011
    PS - Kathryn, I should know tomorrow when my appt. with Dr. S is. Then it will just be a matter of who, where, what & when. Minor details... Undecided
  • Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited September 2011

Spring, can you change my date to Thursday, the 29th? I think I goofed when I first gave it to you.

I guess Im spending my Rosh Hashana unconscious in the OR. A new and different way to commemorate the New Year... though I've spent many past years barely conscious in Synagogue. Haha

Ref, good luck tomorrow. Get Dr.S in gear with the talking down from the roof stuff so he is ready for me on Wed. I'm anxious to hear what he says. My plane doesn't get in till 9:30, so I expect to be up quite late. Call if you feel like it...any time, I'm a night owl, really, really, really.

Nordy, thanks!

Betsy, yes, I have asked. Nothing bad they say. But, I'm still worried :(

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Nordy, can't wait to find out your date! Good luck!

• kathrynla
    edited September 2011

Nordy, can't wait to find out your date! Good luck!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2011

I expect full, detailed reports on appts w/Dr S!  

I'm starting to feel excited about stage 2, even though mine is in Dec.  I'm loving the motivating reports of those who have gone before me.  I thought I'd be riding high from ending chemo, but instead I've had more of a let down.  I'm trying to stay focused on getting strong and healthy for stage 2, but a vast expanse of 'what if it's not gone' keeps sneaking in.  I suspect I'll need a 2B, so I'm not depending on being surgery free in 2012.  

Nordy, how exciting you are getting a date!   

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Paula... I think I could need a stage 2B, but once I am past stage 2A, I consider myself done with treatment... a stage 2B is a tweak to make me perfect if I feel I need it... Optional... ermember some women do this stuff on a whim.