Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited September 2011

Hi there. Not doing so great. Starting yesterday I had/have blood in my urine and had a slight fever last night. I spoke to Dr Trahan a couple of times last night and apparently there are various possibilities but this is not common. Trying to get my primary care to order the UA this morning. Am also feeling super tired and dreading the 45 min bathing/dressing routine.

Thanks for listening to me whine. Today I am two weeks out and was not expecting this! Could be just a hematoma that is draining. Of course I am afraid I might need surgery to fix it. Really not up for that now but probably not that likely.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited September 2011

Running-  Healing thoughts and prayers.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2011

Hugs to Running!  So sorry you are having some problems.  Hang in there.  Sounds like you are on top of it.  

I'm close to 5 months out and my breasts feel soft and jiggly.  The outside of my right side felt pretty firm around 1-2 + months out, but now it's softer.  The 'milk let down' feeling has left a while ago, but sometimes I still feel like I'm wearing a life vest.  The pulling in my belly dissippated greatly from my physical therapist working on the scar.  I still get muscle soreness on my ribs, but I don't know if that's from surgery or chemo or PT exercises.  

My thoughts are with Ref and Jerusha.  What a pisser about the f-ing TSA swiping the silver.  Funny about the blue markings making you feel done enough!!

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited September 2011

Running - I know it is scary when things come up - hoping it is just a small bump and clears up soon.

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited September 2011

Sending good thoughts to Ref and Jerusha this week!

Oh no Running!  What does Dr. Trahan think it might be?  Keep us posted on what your primary says and best of luck getting through this...hopefully it's just another speedbump

Well I'm now 6 weeks out from my stage 2, back at work and back to a lot of things already but still not really able to work out - trying to take it easy but itching to get back to being active.  Still doing the PT which is kicking my butt and showing me to hold off on the gym for a bit longer.  I'm mostly uncompressed at this point but I still wear something if I know i'm going to be away from home for a bit.  I ordered some Marena garments so looking forward to seeing how they work.

Work is the toughest thing right now as it's not a super understanding environment.  Everyone is just like "good your finally back, here's a million things that you missed that need taking care of ASAP" - I'm trying to pace myself but I had to sign up for 2 weeks in a row of mandatory meetings that I need to travel for in mid Oct.  Hoping to be feeling a bit better by then as just a full work day at this point wipes me out - add travel onto that and I'm not sure there's enough coffee in the world to get me through! 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2011

Oh Running! I am sorry! I hope this is just a simple urinary tract infection and that it clears right up!

Ref - I would definately file a complaint with the TSA. It may not do much, but SOMEONE needs to know that things are disappearing. You cannot be the only one. 

Too Much - Would love to meet up with you.

Okay, I cannot for the life of me remember who said they are having some jaw issues from Zometa... I am sorry I can't remember who and I am sorry that it is happening! What are they doing for it?

• nowords
    nowords Member Posts: 70
    edited September 2011

AnneW - I am scheduled for Dec. 9th at Fairway in LA with Dr. Massey...Plan to fly down 7th and return 11th I think....

• Adey
    edited September 2011

nowords- My stage one is 12/8.  It would be great to meet you.  I have Dr Marga too but at the center.  No idea what flights or hotel yet!

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited September 2011

Hi to evèryone and thanks for the well wishes. Yesterday was a long day. Surgery turned out to be 7 1/2 hours. Dr. S replaced the entire flap on the left. In recovery 4-5 hours because I needed blood. Pain is okay just very sore and exhausted. Didn't get to my room until 9pm. Today blood levels are still low and getting another 2 units of blood. I have one drain in my left breast and that's it. Dr. S used a new technique that holds the skin to the fat limiting the collection of fluids. So no abdominal drains for me. Will be here til Sat.

Jerusha is out of surgery!

• Adey
    edited September 2011

Hopefully that becomes standard technique!

Healing vibes to you Ref, to Jerusha and all that need it.

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited September 2011

ref - Good to hear from you!  And no drains!!!!  Lucky lucky you!!!  Now your job is to rest rest rest and enjoy the peacefulness and good care at SCSH.

I heard from Jerusha's husband about 30 mins ago.  She is out of surgery and will be in recovery for a couple of hours, then taken to her room.  Dr S told her husband that everything went well, and as planned!!!!  Yay!! 

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited September 2011

running - I hope this is just a little blip in your recovery . . .  Glad they are keeping on top of it and I hope your local doc is as responsive as the Center is.  Please keep us posted.  You are not whining!!  I hear you on the shower/dressing thing.  It was sooo tiring, between not feeling well, and then all the work involved.  I dreaded "hair wash days' - it just added another 30 mins to the production.   

• Djweinstein
    Djweinstein Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2011

Thanks everyone for the info!  

JUSTLAURA--Don't worry, my appt is in the morning (9ish) so you won't be rushed! :)  Springtime--I'm going for my eval so I don't have a surgery date yet...but how and where do you post it when I do?  

Soccermom4force and KathrynLA--thank you so much for your offers to help!  Stay tuned...I'm sure I'll have lots more questions soon!  Best, Debbie

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited September 2011

I went in for blood work and UA this morning, so hopefully some good info will come out of that. I was right to dread the shower this morning as I felt terrible and thought I was going to pass out for a few mins. My husband said I went completely white. I did feel better reasonably quickly however. Am still peeing quite a bit of blood but maybe it is a UTI. That would be nice. Pretty sure I am anemic as well so when the blood work comes back I expect to get some iron supplements to help with that.

I appreciate all your kind concern and am glad that Refs surgery went well.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

Sonya... be careful... I did pass  out (in the shower) so don't do that... luckily I felt it coming on and my friend caught me.

Rhonda... glad to hear they have taken care of you... You have now followed in my footsteps (Hips then DIEP)... I hope for both of us that it all takes as we are now out of donor sites... 

Jerusha... thinking of you!!

I too am curious about insurance and stage 2 B, 2C etc.. I plan on getting my nipple at stage 2A, but know that down the road I could need a tweak... If I had had double nipple sparing then that wouldn't have been the barometer, so there must be more to it than nipples.

• ref
    edited September 2011

Betsy, we are the one hip boob, one tummy boob club!

Running, have you put a chair in the shower. Don't stand until you are more stable.

Got up and took a walk today. Then sat in the chair and promptly fell asleep. I feell completely wiped out but the pain is under control, as long as I don't move! They wil recheck my blood levels in the morning. Hopefully, those 4 units did the trick and I'll be done with that. One step at a time.

Met Jerusha's husband. She was still in recovery.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2011

REF!!! Something new to hold the skin to the fat so there is less fluid, and less/no DRAINS??? THAT IS MAJOR!!!!!  I know you'll feel better every day. Hang in there....

Amy thanks for the news on Jerusha!  

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2011

Ref, nice to hear you are doing OK.  And the no drain thing is seriously wild!  It is major! I'm eager to hear how that goes.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited September 2011

X

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited September 2011

?

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

Marcia... You can have a tooth implant... go for it!!!

Ref (Rhonda)... yes one hip and one ab boob... I asked Dr D is they will ultimately feel the same.. he said mostly... I guess as long as they look the same, I am good with that.

And DRAINLESS... a new way of being drainless? Well... sounds great, just a few weeks too late for me, but glad you could do it Rhonda... so perhaps in November when I will have more hip work, maybe no drains?? That would be awesome... 

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited September 2011
    bdavis - I am having a 'stage 3' (as I call it) for some revisions and tweaks in 2 weeks and my insurance is covering most of it again.
  • ref
    edited September 2011

Betsy, I would doubt that you would need a drain for hip revisions. I don't have any there and that was not due to the new technique he used for the abdomen. I can't tell any difference between the feel of the hip breast and the ab breast. Have not had a good look at them except from above, but what I have seen looks good.

So far it looks like my abdomen is just fine without the drains. Will know better tomorrow when we take off this compression garment for a shower. I'm wondering how that will go since I can't stand up straight. I'm 5'9" and I think I can only stand up to about 5'5"!

• Nordy
    edited September 2011

Um, I had a drain for hip revisions... just one and it is was right at the top of my crack.. LOL, sorry if TMI!! It was not in for very long - although I did go home with it - I am thinking it was there for a week. I always think it looked like a tail!

Marcia - You deleted... Call me!

• ref
    edited September 2011

Nordy, sorry. Did not mean to mislead Betsy. Just knew that I didn't have any drains for the hip revision. I guess it depends upon the case.

Marcia, I hope you are feeling better. You sounded pretty miserable when we spoke. I wish I could send you that OnQ ball! Hang in there.

• Nordy
    edited September 2011

Ref - No need to apologize! You are so lucky!!!  I don't particularly love drains, but that one was so funny sticking out of the top of my crack... and it was not in for very long, so totally do-able! I am sure as with everything else, that it really does just depend on the case!

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited September 2011

All is well here in NOLA. Even the weather has been perfect. A cold front came in last night and temps are now waaay down. Surgery was this AM ( last AM? ) at 10. We arrived at the hospital at 9, taken to our room to drop our luggage, then my husband to waiting area and me to OR launch pad. Went over everything with the inside nurses , the outside nurses, anesthesia doc, LE therapist who wrapped my arm. Felt like everyone knew about my orthopedic injuries, and they had a plan for properly positioning my arm. Even had a chance to talk with DrS for some issues that felt unresolved from yesterday.OK... Then they called in my husband for a quick kiss, pushed the Versed and next thing I recall is waking up in my bed, in our hotel room. I guess I will see tummy and hips, etc when I shower. -- maybe tomorrow, but probably won't see the nipples for a while. Not sure I will be happy with more artificial parts, but really glad the end is in sight.

• Nordy
    edited September 2011

ARGH... I am trying to book my flights... seriously, is there a Saints game going on the weekend I am headed there? It is crazy what the airlines are charging that weekend!!!

• Nordy
    edited September 2011

Never mind, just looked up the answer to my own question... yes they are. Argh. I hope that I will still be able to go that weekend, but seriously the cheapest I have found is $500....

• Nordy
    edited September 2011

Jerusha - which artificial parts are you talking about? The nips? You might be surprised! (Although in the beginning, they are a little scary looking - they do get better) Anyway, I am glad that you made it through everything and are doing well!