Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2011

In general, if you want to know who somoeone's surgeon is, you can just scroll up... Sealed

Kaitsmom... I could use some closets cleaned out! 

Okay, KBodie... I am so so sorry that you are feeling that sort of "matter of fact, rushed" kind of thing. I am more than certain that part of it is that Dr. S was feeling under the weather - and a good night's sleep will benefit both of you! I also think one thing that is hard on both sides - yours and theirs, is really developing a relationship with the patients that come through there. If you think about it, you have a medical oncologist that you see - week after week. You develop a relationship with them. They know you well - you may have brought family members with you and they know them too. If you have had rads - you probably have less of a relationship with them, but still have one. The doctors in NOLA care tremendously about their patients and want you to have a good outcome. BUT, and here is the big BUT - it is not the same relationship on an emotional level as the doctors that you see every week. That does not mean that they care any less about any patient than another one. It is just different because we are traveling there - and the overall "getting to know you" time with them is so short. But this much I can guarantee: the results are worth it. The nursing care is worth it. These doctors are SO SO good at what they do. I understand it all though. I worked as a PT Assistant for 13 years before I had my girls (not the two that Dr. S made for my chest - but my kids Wink) and I know what it is like to be on the treating end of things rather than as the patient. I had patients come back to see me months after they were discharged from the hospital - stroke patients that were barely standing at the side of the bed when they were discharged to rehab, would come walking into the hospital. It was so hard for ME to place them - remember exactly who they were. It is not that I did not care! First of all the last I had seen them was in a hospital gown, with poor speech and sitting balance! Now this person comes in walking and talking fully dressed! It is always going to be that way. I would recognize anyone of my many surgeons and doctors if I ran into them on the street - but I am nearly 100% certain that many of them (especially those that I have not seen since we moved from California - where I had my treatment) would not recognize me. Is there a tiny part of me that is sad about this? Maybe... I kind of like the warm and fuzzy kind of thing... but I also "get it" and understand that they see SO many patients... and if you don't have an ongoing relationship - appointments - that they may not remember me! Anyway... I think I got off on a tangent... LOL now I am just rambling... good grief... I can't even remember what I was going to say next... Ummmm.... LOLOLOLOLEmbarassed   Oh, yeah, well, I KNOW that the doctors care significantly about you and about you having a fabulous/superb/phenomenal outcome with as few risks as possible - but am just saying that sometimes things may be more "matter of fact" due to the sheer volume of patients coming through and the need to keep on a bit of a schedule so that everyone gets taken care of. Whew... anyone need a drink now? LOL...and I don't even drink... 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2011

KBodie - the bottom line is that Dr. S is a fabulous surgeon... and he is going to do such a phenomenal job for you!

Rogam - I think everyone has different levels of swelling depending on what they fix for you at stage 2. To help bring the swelling down faster - drink plenty of water and walk, walk, walk. It will help "flush" things out. I would imagine that you may still be compressed by the time the wedding rolls around - in which case, you may be fairly comfortable as most of us liked to be compressed after our stage 2's. It just feels good!!! Although... I liked the dominatrix outfit... but you know, so many women have used different brands that they felt more comfortable in. I honestly think you will be okay. You can always put your feet up on a chair while everyone is dancing if you start to feel too uncomfortable. 

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited October 2011

Yes, things were not quite the usual in clinic today. Hours behind and everyone seemed to be rushing around. I had that same feeling of wanting a few pats on the back, a few, " you did its" A big goodbye. But Nordy said it so well -- that's not what the relationships are about, and it is FINE. We can get our pats on the back elsewhere! But hard, KBodie, the night before...I totally get that.

We made it to the airport, and to our connections, but lots of dashing around. My husband did not want to wait for the wheelchair attendant so took over the driving himself. Look out! Quite the ride, careening thru the Atlanta airport. At one point he was headed straight for the escalator, while I shrieked.. No,No...Not the escalator... there's an elevator... Right THERE. We got home around midnight only to discover that the dog sitter had locked up and left the keys inside. Another adventure...Then I decided that I absolutely had to shower and get into clean compression stuff before getting into my nice clean bed. What a workout! I had been really uncomfortable on the plane and realized that the top edge of the Dom had rubbed my sides so that I actually have abrasions on both sides. I knew something was wrong, but I just couldn't place it. By the time I was ready to be encased, my weary husband was konked out on the couch. Since he has to be up for work, I decided to do the whole deal myself. Holy Cow. Won't be trying that again...but good to know that in an emergency it can be done. Soooo. It's 3 am. Taking my Lortab and hitting the hay! BTW... Dr. S says I'm a DONE DEAL. Yay!!!!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2011

KBodie, sending hugs and love and smooches!!! I hope you get the best folks and experiences from here on out. 

Ref. I think you will be fine that far out!! Report back!! :)  I had a lot more swelling in stage 2, but everybody is different! Sounds like Amy had the opposite.

Deno, good for you. What a hard thing to hear in the moments prior to surgery. Glad you stood up for yourself and everyone else...

• lisa645
    lisa645 Member Posts: 41
    edited October 2011

Kbodie, I can imagine how upsetting that is~ (((huggs)))

I bet  you get so much 'luv' from the nurses after your surgery you will soon feel better.  and you will see the doctors love in their work.

woot jershura!!! sounds good!!!

Hey Dana

thanks for setting them straight before I get there girl ;)  I have dealt with prophlactic prejudice for the last few mnths...so much that I even stopped telling people..  Its almost like we have gone back in time when no one dared mentioned the words breast cancer.  <rolls eyes>

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited October 2011

I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm 9 1/2 weeks post op from my hip flaps and I finally pulled my second hip drain today. It feels great to be drain free!I can't believe that I'll be headed back to NOLA for stage 2 and new drains just 2 weeks from now!

KBodie - Hopefully the meds helped you get a good nights sleep. You will soon be receiving extraordinary care from the nurses at SCSH. Sending you healing thoughts.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited October 2011

Toomuch, yay for drain free! That was a long haul. Not everyone has drains with stage2. Im 5 d post-op and had no drains. You can keep your fingers crossed :)

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2011

Kbodie, I am so sorry the pre op was stressful.  Expect the nursing care in post op and SCSH to be very good.  And if you have strong feelings about anyting speak up and tell them what makes you comfortable. 

Denouement, Your story about the young woman not knowing what BRCA was is pretty amazing- there needs to be a basic level of  knowledge.  Good for you (and for the rest of us) for speaking up.

Too much, I am glad your drain is finally gone.  That is a really long time to deal with it.  I am only on week 2 and want to be done with them.

• lisa645
    edited October 2011

dratz! I think someone talked about a new teqnique that we wont need the lower drains...but today I talked with my nurse and she said I will have 2 breast drains an 2 lower,diep? drains.  lol, was SOOO hoping I would only have 2!! oh well tho :)

I wonder how kbodies surgery went.

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2011

KBodie:  Sending you lots of hugs for recovery.  I agree that the nurses and everyone there were fabulous and you'll be able to recover and have your questions and needs met. Keep asking because I kept asking Dr. S too because I was worried about the little vessels; making sure I could hear the swooosh everytime the nurses came in.

Jersusha:  I'm so glad you are a done deal!  I look forward to the day that Dr. S tells me I'm a done deal too!

Lisa645:  I don't know how long people keep the drains in.  I believe everyone is different and the doctors may be a little different and perhaps where you live?  Not real sure but I had 3 drains and they came out before I flew back home to Hawaii. 

Stage I and Beyond:  Anyone know when I can start using the Kelo-cote?  I remember the nurse at post op saying I can use it 3-4 weeks post op but how do I know?  I don't think my abdominal area is healed yet because I accidently tore the skin glue because it was stuck to my underwear so one area is still a little raw looking.  The foob is actually kind of scabby but still looks scary!

Appreciate any advice. 

I still feel liked a hunched over old lady.  Hope this goes away soon.  I'm 3 weeks post op today. 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited October 2011

TooMuch - YIPPPEE! Oh what a feeling! right?

KBodie - sending you healing thoughts. Hope it went well and you get the comfort and reassurance you need. We all need it. This is a big deal!

SurfaGrl - I was told that when the incisions healed (were closed) then I could start the Kelo-cote.  I went through it very fast (1 scar all around my body). If you're a Costco member they are selling 2 extra-large tubes for about the price of 1 medium size one.  I strongly recommend ordering it!  You won't be sorry.  They recommend using it for 60-90 days.

• kathrynla
    edited October 2011

A friend of mine was given a suggestion about avoiding Versed while under anesthesia. According to her therapist it is used regularly to produce amnesia of the body trauma when we're put under - because of this the body cannot explain the trauma it undergoes during surgery and therefore can produce more mental stress and depression while healing. Not sure if I'm getting this right or not but that's how I understood it.  Also something to do with Somatic Experiencing.

Any thoughts? Has anyone heard of this?

• lisa645
    edited October 2011

KathrynLA

I vaguely remember watching a TV show sweveral years ago about someone who was completely put under anesthsia but could she feel the pain and could hear the doctors as they operated on her!! she was unable to communicate with them.  Her description was seriously horrible, nightmarish. ... maybe they forgot to give her the versed and so her body felt the trauma including her brain.

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited October 2011

Hi all. Am back in the world of the living, finally!!! Bad, bad UTI... Anyway, I am clueless about Kelo-Cote but have healing scars.. Can someone please explain it to me?

Surfa Grl, I also feel like a very old woman. Am walking incredibly slowly. I did get one drain out today so only one remains. Yay for that..

Kbodie, I hope you are getting the amazing nursing care that will erase the unfortunate pre op experience. The nurses are so warm, capable, and kind.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited October 2011

Interesting Kathryn.  If that is true, then doing things like having soothing music or positive words spoken to the patient is worthless.  Not that I've had those things.  That explains why I really want to know details of the surgery.  

So how long does it take for versed to kick in?  Is it a couple seconds?  30 seconds?  All I remember before surgery is being wheeled from the holding area to the short hallway into the elevator...I think.  How long are we still 'awake' after the versed?  I recall someone from this thread was talking for a little while and craking people up.  Does anyone ask to be able to see the OR before the versed?

• kathrynla
    edited October 2011

My last surgery I asked to not be given any meds until I was in the OR. The people were all very nice and efficient - preparing for my surgery. They introduced themselves and were sweet and funny with me.  I think I will do the same this time.

I think the Versed is mixed in with the other anesthesia and has to do with some sort of mental amensia during the surgery - a certain kind of blocker. It is not about actually recalling pain.  I don't think it has to do with actually recalling the surgery (as lisa 645 said).  My friend did not do the Versed for her last surgery (mastectomy) and did not recall a thing. 

• kathrynla
    edited October 2011

Running - So glad you're feeling better.  Kelo-Cote is a gel that Dr S gave me to put on scars once the incisions are closed. It is yet another remedy to help excel the healing process and produce smaller, lighter scars.  Have been using it on my hips and stomach for about 80 days - less on the stomach scars because I now have to be reopened to remove scar tissue. They suggest between 60 - 90 days (or more if you like.)  My stomach scars look amazing (too bad I have to start over!) - hip scars getting better too.

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited October 2011

So then, maybe I am confused, but what would be the purpose of the Versed?  For a few days I remembered (I think) the first few minutes in the OR as they were getting everything ready, but I have since then had a hard time recalling that, and can now only vaguely remember being rolled down the hall.  Don't even remember saying goodbye to my husband as he left the prep area.  And I don't think I remember anything about the recovery room, though I might remember them saying "Amy, Amy . . . you're all done".  But I might be imagining/mis-remembering that!  I am not sure why it disturbs me so much to not remember, but it really really does.

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited October 2011

Hello Ladies..Man I love checking in on this board. So much excitement.... I just noticed how many stage 2 folks that are coming up before the end of the year. I was like the class of 2012..will rise again looking all "Boobalicious"! Amy I am getting my mind prepared. Still up in the air about the nipple part not sure why i keep going back and forth...thought about just getting sunflower tat on both and calling it a day :). So I hope the swelling goes down fast for me as well. I hope and expect a lot transferring of fat from the lower body to the upper. I am hoping that I can fill out a nice bra and stop wearing the old mastectomy bras...lol

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited October 2011

Got home late last night and spent today resting and working out my recovery game plan for the next few weeks, so I missed these last posts. My post-op was later than planned but I had plenty of time to get to the airport. No problem there. My post-op was in the hospital. Dr. S kept me there because of the extra difficulty with my surgery and needing 4 units of blood. I ended up needing to replace the entire flap on the left due to fat necrosis using my abdomen and he did a full revision of my hip incisions for stage 2. I'm having considerable problems standing upright and am super tight, pulling on my incisions but I know this will improve over the next days and weeks. I was the one who did not have drains for the Diep. Dr S said he was going to use a new technique that would not require any drains. So after pulling my one breast drain (had only minor tweaking on the right) I went home yesterday with no drains! Believe it or not, I still got pulled over for a pat down by the TSA because of the ABD pads. Not kidding, they rubbed a cotton pad over my waistband and hand and then let me pass. That's security for you.

• ref
    edited October 2011

Also just wanted to say that when you are dealing with medical professionals you are dealing with human beings and you connect with some and not with others, and everyone has good and bad days. For me Dr. S has been fantastic every time in term of his skill, compassion, artistry, courtesy, you name it, he has handled every part of my care the way it should be treated. And I must confess that I am a particular and, some might say, demanding patient. The nursing staff at SCSH was terrific as well, attentive without being overbearing. At the risk of sounding like a fan girl, the care I received was incredible!

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2011

Kathryn LA- thank you for the update on Kelo-cote. Kind of scared to use it before I'm supposed to.  I guess I'll test run one area in a couple of days.  I will definitely look at Costco because I was wondering how one tube was going to get me through the huge abdominal scar, lift scar, and delayed reconstruction scar.  I know you've had a lot of bumps along the road and I'm so thrilled that you are doing well.

Running- so glad to hear from you! I'm glad you got that drain out.  

Ref- hurrah for no drains!  I was wondering if you knew before you went for your Stage II surgery that you needed to replace an entire flap due to fat necrosis?  I'm a bit worried about that.  Sounds like having Stage I again. What if some people choose not to do a Stage II or choose to do it 6 months later?  Do you live with the fat necrosis not knowing you need to redo the flap?

• ref
    edited October 2011

Also just wanted to say that when you are dealing with medical professionals you are dealing with human beings and you connect with some and not with others, and everyone has good and bad days. For me Dr. S has been fantastic every time in term of his skill, compassion, artistry, courtesy, you name it, he has handled every part of my care the way it should be treated. And I must confess that I am a particular and, some might say, demanding patient. The nursing staff at SCSH was terrific as well, attentive without being overbearing. At the risk of sounding like a fan girl, the care I received was incredible!

• ref
    edited October 2011

I knew early on there was a substantial amount of fat necrosis and I would want it removed. The tissue was very hard and uncomfortable and covered most of my left breast. Necrotic tissue is unpredictable. It may soften, liquify or remain hard over time and therefore, if this is more than a small area in the breast, the appearance and feel of your breasts would be affected in these unpredictable ways. After taking out my necrosis, Dr. S felt it was better to replace the entire flap. It is a new stage 1. There is no risk to waiting to address any necrosis later. But don't mistake firm breast tissue with necrosis, which would be very hard.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2011

Sorry to play devil's advocate here, but the flap I just had replaced was never hard, only firm. Which is why I did "wait and see" for over a year.  It went from firm, to slightly softer, to mostly liquid.  There may have been some true hardness in the very center, I'm not sure.  But it was somewhat squishy the whole time.

• ref
    edited October 2011

Note taken. I guess there are cases where you would not know you had fat necrosis until there are apparent changes in the breast. Mine was quite hard and appeared like capsular contracture. Just didn't want everyone with normal firmness in a newly reconstructed breast to assume it is necrosis. I think requiring a totally new flap is a rarity, that unfortunately both jeskachi and I have experienced

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2011

Hi guys! I just caught up - whew!

Jerusha - That same exact thing happened to me! I kept thinking surgery was still coming up and I couldn't swallow water, just swish it around, but then I'd remember that my surgery was already over with! It happened a number of times, and each time I felt ecstatic that I was done! It was kind fo fun to be able to appreciate that over and over again (tho definitely weird)!

So glad u and Ref met up! That IS a wonderful thing about this thread that Springtime started. So many of us have made wonderful friends with other gals while there. If not for this thread, we probably never would have met. And Lord knows we can use all the perks from this bc business we can get!

Marcia - What's wrong? I missed that. Someone tell me!

Kbodie - I hope you felt better cared for after today. I agree about the docs being human - as much as we might believe otherwise, sometimes. Dr. S is usually a prince. I'm sure he'll be up again on that white horse real soon!

Cider - I asked to see the O.R., too, and not to get the Versed until I was ready (I really love that stuff - you feel this total relaxation coming over you. I only wish it lasted longer before you fall asleep!). It's very interesting to see the set-up, and the rest of the staff in there is so nice and there is a really large crew! The last surgery I had was the first one where I actually remember being in recovery. I was so happy about that! And I cried because I was so relieved it was finally the last surgery! But then this stupid hollow formed in my breast and I'll be going under, once again... But I am looking forward to that Versed! Oh, and Sandy is right. I have had revisions after nips done, and my insurance covered it, altho reluctantly. Things are supposed to be symmetrical, and if they're not, insurance is to pay again.

Springtime - Nix my tattoos with Donn. I'm going to wait and have them done at some future date with that new guy.

Somebody, way back, asked me about Halloween in NOLA. This will be our 6th year there, so we are kind of experts at it! There is a historic mansion, right in the Quarter, all decked out as they did for a funeral in the 1800's, in celebration of Halloween. It's very cool! The Herman-Grimms house, I believe. I'm afraid to go get the link and maybe lose what I wrote, so I'll add later. Also, we love the Haunted Mortuary - north up Canal. It was a real mortuary, supposedly haunted, and is right next to a cemetary. I think we are going back this year. Great haunted house effects! Lots of locals go to it, so that is an experience in itself! The absolute scariest is House of Horrors. We went with Sandy and her husband. But it's pricey and unfortunately the pyrotechnic rock show they have while you're waiting in line was rained out when we went. But the rain made the haunted house thing even creepier! We paid in advance and paid more so we wouldn't have to wait in line. I'm glad we did, because they closed the whole thing down right after we went thru because it was pouring. Plus, I hate to waste a lot of time waiting in a line when I'm in New Orleans with lots of other things to do! There is also a Halloween parade on Halloween that runs thru the Quarter - starts at Molly's on Decatur at about 6:30 (usually late) and goes past Jackson Square and down to Bourbon and back. Pretty good. They had a new, additional parade for a few years, but that is not taking place this year. Also, Gary and I always go to this Voodoo Ceremony on Halloween nite that takes place on Dumaine, north of Chartres, south of Royal at the shop - Voodoo Aunthentica. Gary will be playing the drums, as usual - he looks forward to this all year and even took Conga lessons! There is a famous Voodoo priestess who presides and lots of great dancing and such - a real New Orleans cultural experience! And of course Bourbon Street! Fabulous costumes! Especially on the St. Ann end by the gay bars - they win, hands down! Great Halloween decorations all thru the Quarter and other parts of town - they're into huge spiderwebs and huge spiders! I know there's more stuff, but these are the highlights that come to mind!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2011

The Hermann-Grima House located at 820 St. Louis Street in the French Quarter is fun to visit any time of the year to see how the Creoles lived in early New Orleans. But from mid-October through mid-November, the historic home will be draped in black and the parlor will be set as it would have been for the funeral of one of its earliest residents. For more information go to the http://www.neworleansonline.com/directory/location.php?locationID=1260

http://www.themortuary.net/

Sorry - it's House of Shock (not Horror)  http://www.houseofshock.com/index.shtml

http://www.mollysatthemarket.net/halloween/

http://www.voodooshop.com/voodoofest.html

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2011

For those of you interested in versed here is what I know about it.  I like control and hate the amnesia associated with before and after surgery (of course you need it during surgery).  Versed is a benzodiazapene that relaxes you and causes amnesia in about 40 to 60% of people who are given  it.  I think the 1/2 life is about 1 1/2 to 3 hours.  Some people will have some memories after it is administered but I have absolutely none.  It does not put you asleep and does not prevent pain and you will continue having perfectly reasonable conversations after it is administered- but in my case I remember none of it.  It was given to me when I had previous surgeries (not at NOLA) without any explanation of what it was or what it woud do - just dumped into my IV without explanation.   I know people love it but I completely HATE the stuff.  (During some of my previous surgeries I had big issues with pain control - I felt the problem was  partially due to the nursing staff being overworked and not  attentive.  I felt the amnesia didn't help things because it prevented me for being able to really advocate for myself.)  My understanding is what versed can do  -which is a good thing -is possibly protect  you from becomng aware when you are under general anesthesia during surgery-- this happens rarely when the general anesthesia is not working correctly - but can be a horrible PTSD making experience.   I have had 7 surgeries in about a 4 year period before coming to NOLA - for the later ones I completely refused versed.  I remember going into the O.R.,moving from the stretcher to the or table,  remember them hooking up the blood pressure, heart monitors, and putting on the compression things on my legs(vasodyne?? spelling).  I remeber them starting to give me oxygen and then when they start i.v. propofol you are beginning to be put under and remember nothing after that.  This is the way I need things to be.  Also the gases that are given during general anesthesia cause amnesia and that will last for about 45 minutes to an hours when you are in the PACU.   Depending on how long your surgery is the versed can still be acting and can contribute to the amnesia that happens in the PACU. For my surgery at NOLA I talked to the anesthesiologist and told him how strongly I felt about versed.  His solution was that he wanted to give it to me but it would be done only after the propofol was adminstered.   I assume that is what happened. That worked out fine for me.  I remember everything in the O.R. up until the propofol was put in my I.V.  At the point when I could remember in the PACU my pain level was zero.

• lisa645
    edited October 2011

Ive had Versed once (just versed not other anesthisia) I am extremely claustrophobic and needed a brain MRI...So they gave me versed, ooo wonderful feeling,  but unfrtunately ...they needed to reverse it (gave me some kind of shot). because my breathing sloooowed too much (apnea) ... I remember everything, but I wasnt on it very long, they did not get the MRI. They said I would have to get general anesthsia so they could 'breathe' for me. Speaking of that I guess I better tell NOLA to wait to give me versed until I am in the OR.... criikey, I am one that would rather  have it asap and wake up on the other side of the surgery, and not remembr anything.

(one of the many reasons I have chose to go the prophlactic route is becasue I have dense breast and they want to alternate MRI and mammo every 6 months...hahaha, not going to happen unless they put me under general anesthsia every time.)