Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2011

Besa,

So isn't it Versed that is the white stuff they put in your IV that makes you totally relaxed? I did have it for my most recent surgery, but asked for them to wait until I had gotten a good look at the O.R. I remember all of that and i remember the recovery room, too.

BTW, there are other less wild things to do on Halloween. Like take a ghost tour or cemetary tour. And of course buy yourself a mask and join in some of the fun on Bourbon.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited October 2011

As Besa said, Versed is a short acting benzodiazepine. But to put that into perspective, other drugs in that family that might be more familiar, less scary, are Valium, Ativan, and Xanax. These, and several others in this family, including actually, Versed( Midazolam), are the mainstays of insomnia medication -- especially were in the days before Ambien, etc. ( Obviously the dosing would be different!) It is true that all benzodiazepines, particularly Versed, have amnestic properties. Trying to learn new material, such as studying for an exam, while on Xanax ( for example) is never a good idea. Versed is usually the drug used for "conscious sedation" during procedures like colonoscopy. Avoiding Versed is not going to eliminate that unpleasant after-experience of not remembering. Propofol and other agents used after the Versed are amnestics, too.

Benzodiazepines are mainly used for their anxiolytic( anxiety dispelling) properties. Everyone is different, but personally, I would rather not "experience" the pre and post anesthesia situations -- and I asked for that specifically at SCSH. Not that I like the idea of holding conversations when I am not in my right mind ( hmmm, what on earth did I say...), or that feeling of big black holes in my recollections after it's all over. For months I badger my husband with questions like, "what DID I say to the kids that night " or little, seemingly silly stuff like" did they really bring me a pb+j sandwich under a silver dome?" It's like your brain fights to recover these lacunae. Having no memories is disconcerting, but better for me than bad memories. I am well aware of all of the procedures that take place after the Versed ( I'd certainly prefer to be checked out during the catheter insertion!), and familiar enough with the inside of the OR, to NOT want to experience them. At a previous hospital they had me walk to the OR myself, down a long hall, padding behind the resident, then climb up onto the table myself. It felt like a death march. Then settling myself on the table in the freezing cold OR (OR's are always very cold), just felt terrifying. Waking up in recovery, with nurses hovering over me , asking loudly ( because of course they just get louder and louder when someone doesn't answer) " rate your pain,1-10" when I simultaneously felt terrible pain, but couldn't get the words out, was an experience that haunts me 2 years later. So I was a very happy girl at NOLA to drift into my Versed, anxiety free state, surrounded by the lovely OR nurses and anesthesiologist, BEFORE moving out of the holding area, and "wake up", back in my room with my husband by my bedside. For me it was just right and for my Stage 2 I told the anesthesiologist to do it just like Stage1!!! But we are all different.... and the willingness to work with what we want is one of the things that makes NOLA so great!

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2011

Minnesota,

I honestly don't know what color i.v. Versed is. (I know that propofol is also white) Versed is supposed to relax you.  Since I am one of the people that have absolutely no memory of what happens after it is administered - I don't remember being relaxed- I just know that I was given something that totally wiped my memory.   I find that unsettling.   In low doses it is just a tranquilizer that also tends to cause amnesia -so I am guessing that is most likely what you were given.  For me seeing the O.R or experienceing what happens before I am given propofol is not something that I want to  to be drugged away.  It is much more calming for me to be able to remember. 

In the recovery room people also have amnesia - when the amnesia wear off you often preceive it as waking up - but acutally most people have been up and talking for a while. 

• besa
    edited October 2011

Jerusah,

I guess we are all different.  I had a previous surgery where I walked into the O.R. and I put that on my list of positive surgical experiences.  I often ask if it is possible to walk into the O.R. when I face a surgery.  I guess I am the exact opposit of you in terms of what makes me comfortable - but you are right, at NOLA - despite the fact that you and I want almost totally opposite treatment, it is nice to know they are very willing to accomidate both of us.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2011
    Versed - I hate it. I refuse it. The downside of that is that sometimes Propofol (that IS the white stuff) can be uncomfortable as it moves through your blood vessels. I can feel it as it enters my arm, then shoulder, then I just look at the OR team and say, "Good night!" because I know it is hitting my brain next. The only time I allowed the use of Versed was when I had to have a D&C from a miscarriage. I wanted to remember NONE of it. Cry My hubby is out of town, but he could tell you the half life on all of these drugs... as he is the one that administers them. BUT I think Jerusha has a pretty good grasp on things. For some reason, I seem to recall from the D&C experience that Versed is dark yellow - but will ask my hubby for sure.
  • denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited October 2011

Hey Ladies, I'm in a weird place right now.  Having a rough/surreal couple of days, unusually pre-occupied with the ladies down in NOLA right now and can't seem to focus on anything as I'm waiting with baited breath to hear from Kbodie and Semper - so happy to hear that you are feeling better Running...that has been weighing on me too.  Not trying to make anyone feel bad, it is what it is, just maybe starting to crash from all of my surgeries and getting a little fatigued with the whole process in general.  It can't help that I'm back at work full time and everyone has this attitude of "well that's over now I guess you are all back to normal"  I don't even know what that means anymore.  No matter where am I'm there is someone else out there going through the same thing who is scared or in pain and my heart feels so heavy from it all.  I'm sorry if this is nonsensical rambling...I don't even know what I'm looking for comment wise.  Maybe just wondering how the long timers manage to stay active here so long without letting every new person's journey and every hiccup affect them so.  I'm sure this is all exacerbated by the plight of my good friend whose apt building in San Francisco burned down last week.  I saw him yesterday and commiserated...he lost everything he owned, all of his keepsakes and memories and is now homeless and relying on his friends to get him through.  I feel like everyone I know is in some sort of crisis right now and it's not getting any easier like we all hope it will...somebody please tell me something good!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited October 2011

OMG, I freaking LOVE versed!  And I am a total control freak, but I get surgery phobia sometimes.  Oddly enough, I didnt' need it in NOLA at all for Stage 1 when I was at SCSH, but I had to go to Southern Surgical for Stage 2 and asked for it then.  It's like Valium on steroids.  KNOCK MY ASS OUT!!!

• Nordy
    edited October 2011

LOL - Trishia - You are hysterical!!!

Okay, my hubby just texted me back and said this, "They all look like water except for Propofol." So, I was definitely wrong about IV Versed having a color before! (Oral Versed does have a color and I think it is the dark yellow - my daughter had it for surgery when she was 2). IV Versed is clear... and I already knew Propofol is white! So there you have it. 

Denoument - Many of the people that were here when Spring and I (& Trishia - although she was ahead of us) were all starting out have moved on. Marcia, Sandy and Eve have been here the longest and their wisdom is SO beneficial to those who are willing to hear it. I think people just get busy with their lives. I stay because I have the time and I want to help those who are heading to New Orleans... or are thinking about it. But it can be all consuming. I used to check several threads on BCO. Now I primarily limit my time on here to this particular thread and some things on the lymphedema board. People come and go, but will pop back up if someone has a particular issue that a newbie needs help with. But you will notice, that even those of us that have been here a while will take breaks from the threads. You sometimes have to! There are kids to feed, dishes to do, work schedules, vacations... and just some decompression time where you need to take care of YOU. I think too, when you have met other people from the thread while in NOLA, or even elsewhere, you develop a connection with them and DO care so much about what happens to them! And I think you worry more when you are coming off some of your own surgeries. You just want to make sure everyone is alright! I am only speaking for me, but I think the other long timers would say we understand the place you are in right now. It is awesome that you are concerned for others going through this, but don't forget to take care of YOU too!

Man, speaking of which, I have been very chatty this past week... I need to find another hobby!!! Maybe it is because the rain has begun and I don't forsee being able to ride my bike much for the next 6 months! So my exercise outlet is limited until skiing starts... argh!

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited October 2011

Hey friends! I am partIaly conscious finally. Surgery went as planned. Dr. Said I had great vessels, nice and big. Looking at breasts, both myself and my husband though they look pretty good. Nurse said they are quite jiggly, more than she has seen before. Came out of surgery in excruciating pain and I heard the nurses tryin to me something quick. I know I was crying and moaning. But they got something and it's been fine. I have slept pretty much nonstop since I got in my room at 4 yesterday. And I am heading there again. Thanks for being here when I woke up!

• lisa645
    lisa645 Member Posts: 41
    edited October 2011

Dear Dana, huuugs to you.  I know its only wednsday, buut maybe this weekend you could get some good rest and then gather togther your most favorite people and have a 'dana' day. Nothing like spending quality time with some BFF's.  Even if its just a quiet night in playing scrabble or watching movies

I too want to know how semper and kbodie are doing.

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited October 2011

Kbodie - yay!  Sorry to hear about the excruciating pain though, glad they got your something and it's been fine since.  Sleeping is good...I couldn't sleep after my surgery I was so amped up for some reason...but I think the you will be better off in the long run with more sleep...thanks for checking in and looking forward to hear how you are feeling in the next couple of days...

And thanks Nordy, I'm definitely projecting and need to find some distance...I'm sure it will come in time but that takes...you know...time!

• lisa645
    lisa645 Member Posts: 41
    edited October 2011

YAY Kbodie!!! Good to hear from you :)  Glad they are keeping up on your pain.

sleep precious sleep!! :)

• besa
    edited October 2011

Kbodie,

Great to hear from you!  You are now on the other side.... Rest up! 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2011

Congrats Kbodie! Semper and Maggie coming up!

Trishia - You are my kind of gal!

Dana, Nordy, et al., - The psychologist part of me has analyzed these dynamics alot. I know that I feel an immediate bond with any woman who I know has gone thru breast cancer. So few people really understand what that is like, except for all of us who have been there. So, too, with mastectomy and breast recon. Plus we all share the unique experience of NOLA, which is as life-changing, in so many ways, as the bc was.

We all want to be able to help other women along this difficult path. It makes some of what we went thru seem to have a purpose - like if this helps one other woman, maybe it was all worth it. And we all remember what it was like and how scared we were. Thank God (oh, and Springtime) for this thread! I found the FORCE website only after my first surgery - and I didn't feel like I totally fit there, because I am not BRCA positive. But it was the only place I knew of where other ladies were going thru recon. And then, unfortunately, some of the gals got pretty nasty whenever anyone would rave about NOLA, so I decided to pretty much get off of that. It's nice we have our own thread here, so we can all tell each other how smart we were to go to New Orleans!

Going thru bc is kind of like going thru a war, and here is where we get to share our stories and our pain and our grief, as well as the up times. It helps us process all the trauma we've gone thru, by talking to each other. Maybe I'm the oldest-timer here? Or else Marcia? She has been involved in bc advocacy way longer than I have. I tend to get passionate about certain causes. Before bc, I was all about environmental issues. After bc, I'm all about women, at the most vulnerable points in their lives, having information. Also, as Nordy says, we get attached to each other and want to know what's going on in each other's lives.

And I never thought I would fall so head-over-heels in love again in my life! No, it is not with Dr. DellaCroce, Trish! It is New Orleans! The city is in my blood (oh, and literally, too!). But we do all go thru times where we need to take breaks from the threads. Some take a permanent break, as it can become too overwhelming. We each handle these things differently. For me, I miss it after a while and want to know what's going on. I'm so happy as I've seen that it's self-sustaining - those who were newbies are now old alum and are providing answers and adivice and support! I love that!  

• KBodie
    edited October 2011

Nurse charted that patient is ambulatory without assist! Finally feels normal to pee instead peeing out nails which is how it felt most of today after catheter came out. Still not much appetite. Chris (hubby) and I are watching Bridesmaids on DVD. Not sure if i will make to the end. I have been told I am showering tomorrow so I better rest up. It gives me peace to know you are all out there.

• nowords
    nowords Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2011

Kbodie...YAY! Heal well...Try and eat - protein and vitamin C foods for healing....

I am a little over a month out from stage 2 - I had no drains to come home with...

Feeling great...still wearing compression, as Dr. Massey prefers it the longer the better..feels better on that off now that the swelling has gone down a bunch. She said I can swim, work out..do anything I want ...

I had mild lymphedema going in to Stage 1 and I will say that the surgery seems to have improved mine. So far so good....I am not swelling as much. heaviness way down and I have been active....

Stage 2b in about 2 months...

I don't know about all the meds in the OR, but I did say to the Drs. for the MX and the DIEP that my fear was feeling it but not being able to tell anyone because I also scared the crap out of myself by watching that story about the women who felt the surgery but was unable to move or speak.... 

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited October 2011

OK, I'm gonna whine ... #$%^@$#@!!!@%%^#^$ DRAIN is still in!! P{roducing about 50-60 ccs per day -- still! I had heard that hip flaps were juicy, but this is ridiculous. And it is starting to really hurt! I had my surgery August 23rd, so I'm 6 weeks out. WTH?!  Enough already!!! I have to be ready for a December Stage 2 and this is really getting to me -- the drains, the sore deep sutures, the Iron Maiden, feeling crappy all the time ... AAAARRGGGHHH!!! 

Whew! After that little tantrum, I feel much better! I have Versed with nearly every procedure I have ever had. I know you remain pliable and compliant -- it is the drug they use for colonoscopies (sp?). I do get amnesia and I like it that way. I REALLY don't want to remember what went on! I want full disclosure and explanations, but not memories. Rather remember good stuff.

Did anyone get really depressed after their Stage 1? I got thru mastectomy and TE and fill and all, but find I am weepy and prone to being very blue.  

• Nordy
    edited October 2011

celtic - It is really normal to have a drop in your emotional state after surgery! And every surgery is different! So don't beat yourself up about it. AND I think that the addition of having drains is not helping anything. And I know exactly how you feel. I was juicy, juicy, juicy. I finally was allowed to pull my drains at 8 weeks, but then I developed seromas and had to keep going in for aspirations... so finally my local PS just put two small drains back in and I had those for another two weeks. When they finally came out, I think I had to have 1 or 2 more aspirations! I hope I didn't just scare you!!! I am definitely a minority when it comes to this. Hang in there - keep on with the compression as it will help things the most. Lots of water and walking too!!!

Eve - surprisingly I really like New Orleans too! I never thought I would, but now that I have spent time there, I miss it after a while!

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited October 2011

Another NOLA convert here! I didn't like New Orleans AT ALL my first visit, which was post BC, but long before I knew I would be having deconstruction and reconstruction there.  In fact, I said to my husband, "Well, I've seen it now and I don't care if I ever go back".  He was so sad, because he loves NOLA.  He was thrilled, three years later, to learn my surgeries would be there.  I was "Eh".  Well, yes, I realize that I am now a whole new me, thanks to the loving care at the Center, and that the surgery that Dr D. did really was life-changing (and we on this thread know that is NOT an exaggeration).  But now I wonder if there was something else - maybe it was the Versed and some strange brain-washing technique that goes on when we are "under", that makes us long to go back to NOLA??!  They could make a movie - kind of like "Stepford Wives"? I miss so much about the city at times . . . and believe it or not, my husband is even looking for a long term (2 or 3 months) home exchange for us!  Anyone know anyone who wants to swap us for a beach house on the North Carolina coast?!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2011

Maggie... remember I had 2 drains for 8.5 weeks... sucks for sure but you can do it....

Eve... I have spent 5 Halloween's in NOLA (can only remember 2) so I guess they were fun!!!! It was also a long time ago...Enjoy... I read on fb about your costume... very fitting.

About drugs and pre-surgery, post-surgery... I have no idea what they gave me, never asked... but as they wheeled me out of the pre-op area toward the OR they started some IV that within 10 seconds, I was out... and for two of the three surgeries awoke in recovery. For my second surgery which was shorter than the other two I awoke like I was never out... Dr D came out of the OR and we had a conversation that I clearly remembered... After the third surgery (DIEP), I awoke in the recovery, was more groggy but ok... the first surgery was when I have no real recollection... awoke in the room upstairs, and apparently was asking a gazillion questions (Nurse Nicole informed me)

Personally I prefer la la land going into surgery but then coming out I prefer being alert... But maybe for stage 2 I will request a sneak peek at the OR... I am not a stressed patient, but rather intigued. I have gone into surgeries before where I am awake in the OR and then put under... I like it.

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited October 2011

PS  KBodie - yay!!!  Way to go!!  Ambulatory!!  That is great!  And the shower will be tiring, but will feel sooo good.  I remember watching DVDs with my husband, and same thing - could hardly keep my eyes open.  We were watching "The Tudors".  At one point, during a pretty explicit scene - Henry VIII was a bit of a pig - one of the nurses walked in and kind of did a double take . . . ( Actually it was the first time in 4 years that it didn't hurt my psyche to see boobs flashing on the screen, but that's a whole other post . . .)   Hope you get your appetite back soon . . .  It would be a shame to miss the food.  I never lost my appetite after stage 1 - I seem to be in the minority.  And I wanted everything on the menu when food services came around for my order!  

celtic - hang in there . . .  the drains can be pretty awful, you are right.  But it won't be too much longer, hopefully.  Just to check - do you have them taped somewhat near where they enter, so that they do not wiggle around too much?  I had lots of weepiness after my stage 1, some, though not as much, after stage 2.  But I am always an emotional weepy kind of person.  For me, though, I found myself get really weepy later in the evening, when I was overtired, sore and fed up with drains, ABD pads, incisions, various garments, etc.  And I missed just crawling into bed to curl up because I couldn't due to all the aforementioned!  But soon it will all be in the past, and you will be proud that you had the strength to go through it all.

Dana - you are a kind and sensitive soul.  It is hard to feel other's pain, and it can wear us down. I agree that you should take some time this weekend and tend to your emotional needs . . .  stay off the board, if necessary, do something fun and funny, not too cerebral.  

Nordy and Minnesota - such wise words - we are all fortunate to have you "old-timers", with your insight, compassion and support.  Thank you.

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited October 2011

Celtic - I just pulled my 2nd hip drain 9 1/2 weeks out and it was still putting out 35-40 cc/day. But I've been on antibiotics for a month after I developed an infection and Laura said it was time to go. It's been incredible to be drain free for 2 days...you'll get there too!

I got Versed before leaving the preop area and I don't remember anything after kissing my husband. I have no memory at all of being post op but I was later told that I was chatting up a storm!

Dana - I hope that you can find a good distraction to lift your spirits this weekend. We all understand the intensity of what you're feeling.

For those of you who had radiation prior to your reconstruction does your radiated breast continue to feel different then the other. My radiated breast is more firm than my other. At first I thought that it was from LE, now I'm worried that it may be fat necrosis. How to tell? I'm going back for Stage 2 in 2 weeks so I'll know soon enough. I'd just like to be mentally prepared.

Oh, and I just got a letter from my insurance that they will pay for my breast revisions but they've denied the liposuction. Did anyone else experience this? I have a pretty sizable concavity where they removed the cartilage to harvest the artery/veins and I think that the only way to fill it is with fat from liposuction. Is this correct?

I would love to have my inner thighs and knees done but because of my bleeding issues had decided to limit it to what was necessary for my breast revisions even before getting this letter. But I do want Dr. S. to be able to do the necessary work on my breasts!

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited October 2011

KBodie - glad to hear you're feeling good. I had surgery once where I woke up in pain and the nurse yelled at me!!! (Not at NOLA, of course!)  And I'm sure that didn't happen to you.  Soon you'll start cruising the hallways (if you haven't already!)

Maggie - good luck with your appts tomorrow!

Semper - thinking of you too!

• kathrynla
    edited October 2011

Celtic - I definitely got depressed about a month post surgery. For me some of it was wanting to feel all better and normal, but not being able to. Also, I do think the anesthesia causes some depression too. Don't be too hard on yourself and know that it will pass and you'll feel like your old self again.

Dana - you too. Having a hysterectomy along with your stage 2 is a lot!  I think the change in hormones has a profound effect - and a lot of it is emotional. It makes sense that you are really feeling for your "sisters" going through Stage 1 - especially when you're now back at work in a place where people lack the sensitivity to see what you've been through.  You too will find an equilibrium and will be able to handle more as time passes.

Hugs to both of you!

• kathrynla
    edited October 2011

Celtic - I definitely got depressed about a month post surgery. For me some of it was wanting to feel all better and normal, but not being able to. Also, I do think the anesthesia causes some depression too. Don't be too hard on yourself and know that it will pass and you'll feel like your old self again.

Dana - you too. Having a hysterectomy along with your stage 2 is a lot!  I think the change in hormones has a profound effect - and a lot of it is emotional. It makes sense that you are really feeling for your "sisters" going through Stage 1 - especially when you're now back at work in a place where people lack the sensitivity to see what you've been through.  You too will find an equilibrium and will be able to handle more as time passes.

Hugs to both of you!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2011

Nordy, before I read up to where you mentioned how chatty you've been, I was reading one of your posts and thought about how I could imagine you saying what you'd written.  You write just like you talk and it's always so warm and encouraging.  Glad you've stuck around to help so much....especially since I have been so tied up with work and travel lately that I barely have time to keep up with this thread, let alone participate. 

With regard to Versed and other fun drugs....I had my tonsils removed about 10 years ago, and I woke up during the operation, when the surgeon hit a molar with whatever he was using to pull my right tonsil out.  I remember yelling "OWWWW!" and within a second they had me under again. I'd rather have drugs than ever experience something like that again and remember it forever after.

I may never have gone to NOLA if not for needing help from Dr. D, but I have enjoyed getting to know the people of Louisiana and the more rural areas far more than the city. 

My younger son had more surgery on his foot today and I think this pretty much guarantees that he will not be enlisting in the service.  I hate to admit that I am glad, but I am.  He will have permanent numbness between two toes which will not affect his balance, but his feet were not made for marching in boots.   I never thought I'd be thankful for what his pediatrician called "curly toes" back when he was a toddler. At the time, I wanted someone to give us little inserts to straighten out his toes, but nothing existed and so we had to wait until he was 18 to straighten them.  He has apparently been walking differently and a neuroma developed, which was quite painful every time he stepped on his foot.  It's gone...and I'm hoping none of us need surgery in 2012 so we can go to NOLA on a trip for pure relaxation and visiting friends I've made while there for surgeries.

Dana, I'm sorry you're feeling blue.  How about thinking about how proactive you've been and that you don't have to worry anymore about being high risk for breast, fallopian tube, uterine or ovarian cancer now???  I haven't had a mammogram in 4 1/2 years now, no ultrasounds, no cyst aspirations...and no more biopsies!!!  My cousin was so right about getting off the rollercoaster and I'm so glad that I took her advice to have bilateral mastectomy back when I was diagnosed and all my doctor told me was "your treatment is lumpectomy and radiation".  I still have hot flashes when I feel anxious, but I think the trade-off is so worth it.  Know that some sadness is a normal part of recovery and that the world will be a sunnier place soon...for you and for your friend. If it gets to be too much, there are great anti-depressant medications you can take for a while.  I didn't need them after my cancer diagnosis, but I did take one for about a year after having lasik complications and it really helped me a lot.   I hope you are feeling better soon!

toomuch, if you have concavity, most likely it will be taken care of with lipo and fat grafting, so your insurance will be billed to get what is necessary covered for you.  Wink

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2011

Celtic:  I've had a lot of emotional roller coasters and I'm only 3 weeks post op from Stage I.  Just last night I had a melt down with my husband saying nobody cares about me, nobody helps me (including my high school boys), my muscles are really sore and tight on my black) blah, blah, blah.  Now that I think about it Kaitsmom is right because I have had the breakdowns in the evening when I am tired and sore.  I guess I'm annoyed because I'm tired and sore and didn't do much but sit around the house all day, read the paper, watch t.v. etc.  I know you can do it, hang in there, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I have the same emotional roller coasters!

KBodie: Glad to hear you are doing well.  The big juicy veins is a complement.  

Kathryn:  you are so kind with a gentle spirit.  Go have fun- watch a funny movie or a great love story with a good ending.  I even read the comics just to have a little laugh.

I am also so thankful for the old timers who share their wealth of knowledge!  I'm a bit scared that I have necrosis because I have a huge hard spot just above the breast where Dr. S filled with fat because my chest was a bit concave but I'm sure Dr. S will take care of it Stage II.  

Semper:  sending you lots of hugs. 

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2011

Nordy:  I am encouraged by your picture and look forward to the day that I can wear an exercise top and workout at the gym again.  I always had a to wear a covered shirt but even the shirt would hang down when doing push ups and was always paranoid people could see my concave chest!  Right now my new foob feels heavy and not so jiggly.  My other boob feels like it got punched but I don't see any bruises on the lift.

I also look forward to the day I can surf again in a bathing suit top. I always had to wear an Xcel swim shirt over and it's always so hot in Hawaii.  A bit too heavy to wear a bikini bottom but surf shorts are just fine with me.  

• besa
    edited October 2011

Dana,

You've been through so much.  We can all understand- we are dealing with it also.  I know that we often  hold it together when we have to - going through treatment or surgeries and then when things calm down  - you allow yourself start to feel the effects of what you have been through.  Be kind to yourself.  Do what you can to make things easier. 

Toomuch,

I have had my insurance company deny claims on my previous DIEP revisions saying they are cosmetic.  I think they just hope you will give up and go away.  In the past I have appealed the decisions and they were quickly overturned in my favor .  So for me - the small amounts of liposuction that were done in the past to try to  fill out the reconstruction were covered.  Especially if you have had a breast cancer diagnosis there are laws that protect you. Hopefully the Center will resubmit the paperwork and they will be the front line to dealing with the insurance problem.  You might want to call them and find out how they generally handle this kind of issue- is it your job to appeal or do they handle it?   I just had my flexible spending account reject my submission for some of the out of pocket money for my unilateral prophylactic NOLA  GAP reconstruction saying the surgery was cosmetic in nature.  All I could think  was ...this is stupid.   I have a history of breast cancer.  I know this qualifies -and could they possibly  think that someone would actually have a mastectomy and GAP reconstruction for cosmetic reasons?   Just submitted more paperwork.....

• KBodie
    edited October 2011

Day 3. Feeling a lot more ache and heaviness in my midsection. Swelling has increased. Have a headache and didn't sleep much last night. So we'll see about the shower. I have not seen anyone else here, though I know semper is here.

Interesting note: dr. And nurse both said I might wake up not having drains in my abs. A new technique they are trying out. But I woke with 4 drains so I guess I wasnt a good candidate. But some of you out there will be!

Also, I have no binders or compression garments on. A bra and some bandages and that is all.