Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2011

Hi Kathryn, glad you're on track to head back to NOLA and get everything taken care of!

Spring, you know, I hadn't even considered that my sister's stay would be shorter, but you are right!  She and Dr. D discussed implants with Alloderm.   I wish I could donate some flaps for her use....

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited October 2011

Hi all. It's the morning of departure. Woke up much earlier than planned. Tried to lay in bed as long as I could and absorb how it felt to lay in that bed with this body I've been given to walk the earth in, as I will never do so again. I have moments of alarm, usually at night. They don't linger too long. I am most worried about not seeing my kids for 12 days. Worried about them and about me. Then I realize that I am going to feel pain and discomfort like I have never felt before and I wonder why the kids are what I feel the most anxiety about?! Thanks for being there everyone. Talk to ya in NOLA.

• nowords
    nowords Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2011

KBodie...I had similar thoughts; prior to mx in April of 09...laying in bed at a hotel in Rochester MN...shell shock of diagnosis waning and reality setting in....

May of 2011, weeks prior to DIEP...anxious and fearful of the pain, worried about complications....but the night before the surgery...very calm and ready to go...pain was non-existent...meds are so good now. Rough moving around first day or two but each subsequent day is better. Harder part is finding the best way to get out of bed and managing the drains. Labor - giving birth and a bad toothache were all more painful than the DIEP!!!

Mine was delayed due to rads and the fact that I needed time to decompress and decide what I wanted to do. I am so happy that I did it and it was worth the trips etc.

Good luck and speedy healing thoughts your way...exhale and trust the Docs.

Mom love puts them first...I think it is as it should be...they will be fine...

• lisa645
    lisa645 Member Posts: 41
    edited October 2011

The Saniguard fogger  can be bought at dean supply... http://www.shopatdean.com/store/pc/Sani-Guard-Total-Release-8-Oz-Fogger-55002-12-Case-84p3206.htm

I buy  the 8 ounce size as well as the 3 ounce for areas like the bathroom, car,  closests. Im of the opinion just like anitbiotics yoou want to make sure you use enough to kill everything, so make sure you buy enough to completely do your square footage.  ( edited to add: lol, I dont go crazy with it and use it all the time, but someone came into my house with mrsa a couple of years ago.. since mrsa lives on everything for months and months I thought it was prudent. I will use it for my house after my surgery.

cheers

• lisa645
    edited October 2011

I got my promissary note yesterday. It states that its only for the surgeon!   wow,  the mastectommy doc and the hospital and anestisiaolgist (sp) charge seperately.  Im going to call vickie on monday, what happened with you guys?  Was your bill overwhelming? I dont know why I thought I would be all included.  If you guys know what the hospital fees and anestesiologist charge , please, please PM me. i am worried i wont be able to afford all this. geez, its never easy is it?!

Thanks in advance

KBodie... huggs, It really sucks right now!!!!! but... You will make it thru all this and next year it will be a distant memory... :) Your kids will see you go thru this and know that inside all of us is a hidden inner strength and we can face anything!!!!  kind regards

lisa

• lisa645
    edited October 2011

Also:  I have read there are pictures (timtam or something) ...where are all these picture sights? I still havent decided to have NSM or not.

TIA

lisa

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited October 2011

Hi Lisa. Insurance coverage is different for everyone but I would definitely not panic. Vickie Hart was great to work with and very clear about what my costs would be. She told me that for everyone, the hospital cost to you is what it would be if they were in-network. For me, that meant only a $100 copayment for the whole admission. The breast surgeon I used, Dr Stolier,is in network for me, as he is for many folks. I don't know yet about the anesthesiologist. So I am expecting my costs other than the surgery fee, to be minimal. Good luck - and call Vickie.

KBodie. I hope that you will feel reassured when you get to NOLA. I don't think you should expect a lot of pain. Discomfort, soreness - absolutely. But in the two weeks since my PBM and hip flap recon, I really haven't experienced anything close to intense pain. The nurses are beyond fabulous there. Very knowledgeable and just so kind and warm. I wish you all the best.

My update is that I am recovering from the UTI, which absolutely laid me out! Am feeling better bit by bit. This weekend a very dear friend is staying with me while DH goes off to play and her company is great. She is also looking after my kids and doing lots of chauffeuring. I feel lucky to have a friend like her.
  • besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2011

Kbodie,

I too was worried about pain issues and was lucky enough to talk to Running  in the hotel the night before just my surgery.  She was right, pain turned out not to be an issue.  The meds do work and even more importantly the nursing care is the best I have every experienced.  They were checking on me constantly (even when I didn't press the call button).  They are kind and caring.  You will wake up with a PCA pump which gives you constant pain medication and allows you to administer more yourself - at the press of a button if you feel you need it.  You will have an On-Q ball - a ball containing numbing medications that is delivered directly into your incision.  Tell the docs, nurses, and anesthesiologists your concerns about pain and also what makes you comfortable or would reduce the stress (for example - do you want a lot of infor about meds or what is happenig etc or are you more comfortable not being told, if there are things that you feel will help you through this tell them what you want).  This is a place where the docs are skilled, the nurses are amazing and the care is compassionate.  Know that you truly are in good hands.

• KBodie
    edited October 2011

Thanks everyone. So appreciate your willingness to share your experience and wisdom. Just landed and am in the car on the way to Hotel Monteleone. What to do for dinner will be our next task. One step at a time.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited October 2011

Hi KBodie, was just at the Monteleone before my surgery this week. About 3 blocks away is a nice fish restaurant called GWFins. Great Bronzini and yummy bread pudding!

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited October 2011

Big week of stage 1 surgeries coming up - will be thinking about Kbodie, Semper and MaggieSantaMonica - hoping you are all doing well in the days leading up to your surgery (we all know those are the most nerve wracking for sure) and wishing that you have minimal recovery issues and as smooth sailing as you possibly can through these surgeries...we are here for you...please check in whenever you can but don't feel like you have to rush online if you aren't up to it.  Best of luck!

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited October 2011

Yeah, what Dana said!!  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2011

Yes Yes! Here are the ladies leading off October!

Oct 4 - KBodie - Coming to NOLA October 1, pre-op on the 3rd and surgery on the 4th. Stage 1 BPM and DIEP with Dr. S.Oct 5 - Semper - Stage 1, Dr S and Dr. D, NOLA.Oct 7 - MaggieSantaMonica - Stage 1 hip flaps with Dr S., Fiarway, NOLA.
  • Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited October 2011

Packing up. Last night in NOLA... hopefully forever! Well, at least-- as a patient. Stayed an extra day in the hospital, and have been at Homewood since yesterday. Homewood is a very comfortable, easy place for post-op. Clean, quiet, comfy beds with lots of pillows, walking distance to many restaurants. Last time went out for dinners. This time, didn't budge. I'm just worn out! Today I was really strict about sticking to my every 4 h schedule with the pain meds ( no matter what), and I had a much more comfortable day. Wish I could squish myself into this compression thing on my own, but unfortunately, it seems to take two people. I am very very pleased with my results. Dr. S does it again! He is amazing!! I am so grateful to have found him. As we all know, ( but others don't appreciate), breast reconstruction like this is truly transformative. Have been chatting with Ref and she has been a great surgery buddy. Our husbands met up a couple of times, and the 4 of us had one nice in person visit. Post op tomorrow at 1:15, then fly out 5:30. Long trip ahead-- about 7 hours. Looking forward to bringing home my tweaked and trimmed everything and my nice new nipples :)

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2011

Jerusha - Glad that you and Ref got to hook up! And so glad that all looks good!!!!
    And although it is always sad to leave NOLA (yum, Cafe Dumonde) - hurray for going home!!!

KBodie - I don't know how old your kids are, but when I went to NOLA I had a 1 year old and a 3 year old. It was all OKAY. I left them with notes to be read to them for every day while I was gone. I left a bag of Hershey Kisses for them, and every night my sister gave them a "kiss" for me while I was away. It was VERY hard for me. Until that time, I had only ever left my kids for one or two nights - and it had always only been for surgery (but at the local hospital where they could easily come and see me). This was so different, but my kids were so wonderful about it... and they did just great. All will be well, and when you are healed and well, this will be a distant memory. But know that I do feel what you are going through, as do many other women on here. It is so good, because my older daughter used to ask me when she was going to have to get her "boobs cut off". It is now 2 years out and she never asks me that anymore! And my younger one thinks they are as real as anyone else's! Take a deep breath. Of course you are going to worry more about your kids than anything else. You are a mom!!! 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited October 2011

KBodie - I took Nordy's lead and did the same thing with the notes and Hersey kisses (Thanks Nordy!)  With the notes - on that day that they'd be reading it - I tried to project what I'd be doing and feeling and where I was in the healing and how long until I saw them again.  Also, we skyped almost every day.  They weren't scared to see me, but could see I was sleepy. My husband took the laptop and gave them a little tour of the room and the hallway. This trip (hopefully my last surgery!!!!) we are taking them with us. They are 7 years old and do understand what happened but aren't all that focused on it. Ironically, every now and then when I mention I had cancer they say "You had cancer?!!!"  I don't get it - they know I did but it somehow still surprises them when I say it. I don't think they even really know what it mean - even though we explained it to them. But I now look the same, can pick them up again, and they've all but forgotten the time when I was away.  Good luck! You'll all pull through!

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited October 2011

Last day in NOLA. Had a rough weekend adjusting to medications. Ultimately decided to alternate flexural and Lortab. Found that Benedryl helped get through the night. Everything looks good. Have a fair amount of swelling so eager to see how things develop over the next few weeks. Hoping this is my last surgery but with it being part stage 1 and part stage 2, we'll have to see if anything more becomes necessary. Hope not. Seeing Dr S soon for my post-op then off to the airport, where we will hopefully run into Jerusha and her husband who have a similarly timed flight. Good luck to the ladies with surgery this week. You will be well cared for.

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited October 2011

Ref & Jerusha - I hope that you have safe travels home. Sending healing wishes!!!

• nowords
    nowords Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2011

AnneW-

I just rec'd my calendar today...what a hoot...I love that you used Konakat's quote on your inside page...looking good...

Edit to add - Miss September is beautiful!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2011

Jerusha and Ref, ditto what Nordy said! Glad you "found each other"! That's what this list is all about. Makes it so much better, right? Less "lonely" and great for the hubby's if they can find someone. Or at least see someone, they know they're not alone too.

Nordy! I love the Little notes and "kiss" idea! You are so smart! Glad Kathryn could apply!

Ref and Jerusha, stage 2 for me was a lot of swelling. (more than stage 1). I think it's the lipo!! My feet, legs KNEES didn't even look like me! I'd look down at these legs and go, WHOSE LEGS ARE THESE??? and WHERE DID MINE GO??? It does pass. It's all worth it.  :)

You go Anne!!! :) Our calendar girl. :) 

• KBodie
    edited October 2011

Just finished pre-op, a few hours later than scheduled. Things ran late with another surgery. Dr. Has a cold. I think I had high expectations and am having the nerves and emotion set in. It wasn't a big deal for everyone but was for me and I felt a little rushed and unimportant which is making me feel more emotional. Not good for the night before but what can I do? It's been a long day for them too.

• KBodie
    edited October 2011

Just finished pre-op, a few hours later than scheduled. Things ran late with another surgery. Dr. Has a cold. I think I had high expectations and am having the nerves and emotion set in. It wasn't a big deal for everyone but was for me and I felt a little rushed and unimportant which is making me feel more emotional. Not good for the night before but what can I do? It's been a long day for them too.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2011

Who is your doctor again??

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited October 2011

KBodie - so sorry that everyone was rushed and not reassuring. I am sure it is even harder when we all say how great everyone is.  Hopefully Dr S will go home and get a good night's rest and be raring to go in the AM.  I suggest you have a good meal, a nice drink and get a good night's rest (if possible.) I always take a sleeping pill the night before (starting to feel like an expert) - honestly, tomorrow you will feel so much better. You are in excellent hands.

• KBodie
    edited October 2011

I am standing in the cvs on canal waiting for a xanax or valium or something they called in for me. I know I am in the best place and I know this is all me. When I feel vulnerable I can be really sensitive and transfer my emotion to something someone did or didn't do. But everyone did what they should. It was just very matter of fact here's what we're doing sign the consent see ya tomorrow. And I was more in need of this is going to be fine and we're so glad you came here and you are going to look great and thanks for trusting us with your life and blah blah ya know? Like I said, not usually needy like that but today I am. Hopefully I will sleep it off and everyone will be fresh and happy tomorrow, including me!

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited October 2011

kbodie, I'm so sorry you didn't have a great experience today at the pre-op.  It is nerve wracking and you are right to want to a little more sensitivity and time taken to understand how huge this is for you.  Here's a little story:  when I was there for my pre-op before stage 1 my first meeting was with Jen, the lymphadema consultant who was asking me about my breast cancer and when I told her my surgery was preventative she said "why would anyone do this if they didn't have cancer?"  Oh man, my blood started to boil!  Then I told her about my wicked family history and my BRCA1 gene and she said, no kidding:  "What's that?"  I about lost it...I was seething.  I said to her something along the lines of, "I'm less than a day away from surgery, scared, vulnerable and tired right now, I don't have the energy to educate you or teach you how to do your job but I strongly suggest you look it up and ask your coworkers because there are a lot of people like me coming in for surgery that will be very unhappy if you aren't up on this"  She was taken aback and shaken and explained that this was the first week she was wrapping the arms of all patients so she hasn't spoken to a preventative surgery patient yet...lucky me I got to be the first.  But the story ends well as the next day she showed up for my arm massage and she was super apologetic and has done a ton of researched on BRCA the day before so she was up on it. I guess I have more distance from it now so I can say: they are all human, doing the best they can and if something doesn't feel right to you just tell them and say what you need and they will hop to for sure.  I know at the time it's not fun to feel 100% supported, but these really are the best people to be going through surgery with.  I hope whatever they give you works (I know that exact CVS!  spent plenty of time there) and you can have an okay evening and some rest...this really is the HARDEST part, the expectation before...I promise, we all promise it gets better from here.  Feel free to vent here whenever you need to...we get it...hoping things go well tomorrow and looking forward to hearing from you "on the other side" when you feel up to it...hugs!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2011

KBodie- I had a bit of that assembly-line feeling too when I was there.  But don't worry about the level of care you'll receive, they are the best of the best. I hope you can relax, if not now then as soon as you wake up after surgery. 

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited October 2011

Question stage 2 ladies how long did the swelling last? My surgery is on the 2nd and I have a wedding on the 19th wondering I will be able to make it?

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited October 2011

KBodie, so sorry you aren't feeling the comfort you want to feel.  Pre op is a whirl wind.  Hopefully you will feel more comfort right before surgery.  I did; Dr S, Dr Stolier, surgical nurses and I don't know who else surrounded my bed before I went into lala land.  You will surely understand what we are all talking about when you receive the care after surgery.  My post op visit w/Dr S was a few hours late, but I didn't care because I had drugs!  Don't be hard on yourself.  It is a big deal.  I did a lot of praying and meditating to keep calm.

So if KBodie's appt was so late, I wonder if ref and Jerusha's post ops were so late as well.  And did they make their flights?  I hope you are doing well, ladies! 

Kathryn, since I have a 7yo as well, I can just picture yours saying You had cancer?!  I have to laugh. The way their little minds think!  Mine gets it a little more (I think) because she can see my bald head and has seen me sleep a lot.  

Nordy, I'm so glad your daughter doesn't wonder when her boobs will be cut off.  I can't wait to have 'normal' looking boobs again so I don't feel like hiding them from my daughters. 

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited October 2011

Hi Ro!  The swelling in certain areas can last longer than in others, depending on if you have a lot of lipo done, how much they add to the breasts, if any, to create more volume, and of course just the fluids that you receive IV during surgery.  My hands and my feet were terribly swollen for the first week, then returned to normal.  For some reason,, my abdomen swelling went down fairly quickly as well!  That seems like nothing but luck.  Breasts are a lot less swollen and are quite soft now at almost three weeks post stage 2.  So for me, I feel fortunate not to be feeling a lot of swelling still.  Providing you have something to wear that was a little loose if you needed it to be, you shouldn't have a problem due to swelling.  Now, in terms of energy - I am still dragging.  Again, that is a very individual thing, but I just don't quite have my energy back yet.  I could certainly go to a wedding, and probably even dance my butt off, but I know I would need a nap before I went, and would certainly need to have a great big sleep the next morning!  I really think that for me, part of it is the anesthesia having a cumalative effect . . . I am back to walking again - did a couple of decent walks this past weekend.  I cleaned out a bunch of closets, tried on a million things, went to a movie, cooked a couple of decent meals and did some baking.  So basically, back to my normal schedule, but just needed more sleep to accomplish it.  Are you getting excited?