Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2011

Wow. I am sore. Very sore. And when I cough, the spot where uterus was burns like it's on fire! Got catheter but have not been able to pee yet.

My surgery went very long as well. Sorry you had to wait evn longer cider!

Dr. Von alien has-been in to see me already. And they too away my pain pump!

I am impressed you wrote last night cider. I ws way out of it. Didnt get to room til 5:30!.

Starting to feel everything now and again, all I have to say is wow! Hopefully I will be walking hall later and will run into some people.

• KBodie
    edited December 2011

Oh yeh, I forgot. I am in compression top to Bottom! Long sleep compression top, long pants compression bottom.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2011

I didn't get to my room until 6:45.  I'm in the regular dom, under breast to above knee; not the shoulder to ankle compression Celeste showed me.  So far I like it!  My bra has only the left side cut out for nipple!  I had some trouble with pain when I got to my room but got it managed.  At 6am IV was taken out as well as foley cath.  I haven't gotten out of bed yet.  I also just ordered a bunch of food!  I'm anxious to see my now breasts!!  

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

kbodie... explain again what you are wearing??

Congrats to those through surgery... yay!! Thinking of you Besa... today was one of my original dates... 

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited December 2011

Paula - glad to hear your doing so well...wish I was there too..oh well ,have to wait a few more months...not sure if you mentioned this..but did you have plication? I really need to loose weight b4 I go for stage 2..I put on some during my chemo and being so inactive (needed to loose b4 all of this) so my plan is to try to get in the best shape I can ..my stomach is so annoying, I have that big puffy stomach above my belly button and flat below..so still having issues with my pants..hopefully dr d can address with lipo?  speedy recovery....dawn

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited December 2011

Hi all!  Sorry for not posting . . .  I was feeling pretty good yesterday and did some laps around the hall, visited with semper, and then crashed.  Exhausted.  Had tattoos done on Tuesday, and a bit more cutting than I had expected on Wednesday for my stage 2b.  I am feeling good this morning, but very glad they kept me here the extra night.  We fly back to Raleigh this afternoon.  I really felt I couldn't comfortably be in the hotel yesterday, but now I feel ready to go!  Such a busy week here for all the staff.  I heard that at least one of the docs was in surgery til 1 am the other day!  

Tattoos - well the verdict is still out.  I think they are going to look good, though I really wasn't thinking that right after they were done.  I have weird skin. But Vinnie is an amazing artist and person.  If I am not happy with the outcome, he will keep working on it til I am. So while I was ridiculously worried and upset the other evening, after the tattooing,  I no longer am.  I had a major meltdown the night before the surgery, but I guess it was just because I felt like I was on such a long road and couldn't go one more step.  By the next morning I felt ready and raring to go and finish up. And as far as I can tell, I am done.  Just a bit of recovery at home amongst my Christmas trees . . .  Anyway, here til noon, so hope to see some of you!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited December 2011

Need2New - It was KatieJane that asked what the pain ball was... almost right after your post asking if all stage 1  patients get it! I don't know why - maybe it was something you wrote about the PCA - but something led me to believe that you were in the medical field! LOL

Kaitsmom, Cider and KBodie - Glad to see you posting on the other side of surgery! Kaitsmom - safe travels today.

• KBodie
    edited December 2011

I am in two pieces of compression wear. Both are flexees. Top is long sleeve and has hooks and eyes all the way, from chest to waist. Then on the bottom I have girdle that goes from waist to slightly above the ankle.

They unbuttoned a few hooks on each as I have been having a terrible time with pain. Trying this and that. Did not get IV out because we are now relying on IV painkillers.

• cider8
    edited December 2011

I just took two laps!  I'm in 214.  I saw Amy's sign, so I'll stop by after a little rest.

I did not get plication.  I don't think I need it and Dr S didn't suggest it.  I've been doing core exercises and I think that really helped.  My belly above the DIEP incision has been puffy.  I got all that lipod, so I hope that's good results.  So far I feel like my right/cancer side breast looks a bit uneven or something.  I didn't get a really good look though.  I'm very glad I set up a post op appt on Monday.  We'll see how it's going if I get a nipple or not.  I'm slated to leave later today.  

I brought cookies for the nurses.   Meringue with mini choc chips and crushed mints.  My favorite holiday cookie.

• Djweinstein
    Djweinstein Member Posts: 60
    edited December 2011

Hi...What is plication? And what is the diff between Stage 2a and 2b?  I had only thought I would have a Stage 1 and a Stage 2...

Thanks!! 

• Nordy
    edited December 2011

DJ - You may only have a stage 1 and 2. Some people find after stage 2 that they still need a little bit of tweaking - so they go back to have it done! Plication is where they stitch up the middle of your abdominal muscles - essentially pulling them together like an internal corset. Let me see if I can find you a picture...

http://www.yorkyates.com/body-surgery-utah/tummy-tuck/ 

If you scroll down about midway there are three pictures - the middle one also shows the stitching. If you want to see video - this particular PS has video of him doing a tummy tuck (not just drawings). It is pretty interesting, but if you don't particularly like watching that kind of thing, I don't suggest it! 

KBodie - I hope they get your pain under control!

Cider - glad to hear you are feeling well!

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

Hi all...i am home...yes!  However it is been a bitter sweet homecoming.  As i was landing and staring out at my 4 children watching me pull up to the airport i turn my phone on and receive a text message that an old boss and a father figure had suddenly passed away.  He was only 56 and was taken by that damn disease we can cancer.  I worked for him growing up for 17 years.  It was heartbreaking.  Then i find out that my 12 year old who has struggled with anxiety and panic attacks since my diagnosis had a really hard time when i was gone and had 3 attacks.  Damn life can be so hard!

I am doing well...it is really hard for me not to be doing everything.  i hate to sit still! 

I have a couple questions.  First what is the reason for compression on stage 1....since i had that allergic reaction to the DOM i wondered what i was missing out on.   Also, what is fat necrosis?  I have a slightly hard area on my chest above my incision..so this is my original skin.  I will be talking with Ashley with Dr. Marga today but didn't know if this is normal.  the flaps are soft and warm and REAL!  WHOO HOO.  SO FAR SO GOOD....but scared too. 

good to hear NOLA is still hopping...glad every one is doing well:)

Michelle

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2011

Thanks Nordy-guess I should have thought to look it up online!  DUH!!!!!   Katiejane

• Djweinstein
    edited December 2011

Hi...What is plication? And what is the diff between Stage 2a and 2b?  I had only thought I would have a Stage 1 and a Stage 2...

Thanks!! 

• Nordy
    edited December 2011
    DJ... Silly, I thought I answered all that up above... LOL... Did I not do a very good job of it? Embarassed
  • Djweinstein
    edited December 2011

Thanks!  I'm having a hip flap so I guess that doesn't fit into my surgery...don't know if I'll have to have something similar for the "back" side...I'm guessing not (and hoping not!) :)

• Nordy
    edited December 2011
    LOL - now you deleted! Did I do an okay job? Wink
  • Nordy
    edited December 2011

DJ - sometimes they do the plication as part of your stage 2 even with hip flaps - just to smooth everything out and make everything look proportional. It is of course, totally up to you if the doc recommends and you decide to do it.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2011

I had "bad" news today.  My insurance will not let me go to St. Charles.  It will have to be Fairways.  Can anyone tell me what this place is like.  How far is it from Hope Lodge and Dr. Massey's office?  Also, Dr. S only operates there on Fridays so as of now I am penciled in for June 22 instead of April.  Believe it or not I cried.  I finally got comfortable with this, but wanted it sooner than later so Iwould n't have so much time to worry about it.  My doctor is Dr. Massey and they will check if Dr. S can do a Thursday. Also, does Dr. Sollier go to Fairways? Oh darn.  I really didn't want this done in the summer.  Bummed!!!  I have a summer wedding and we had travel plans.

• cider8
    edited December 2011

Cherrie, I'm so sad that info made you cry.  It's SO understandable.  The good thing is that it is still doable!  Just not what you had in mind.  I've only heard good things about Fairway, but I never experienced it.  

I was discharged from the hospital late this afternoon.  I'm settled in my rental house and about to go out for dinner.  I took a shower at the hospital, which of course wore me out.  I got to get a good look at myself.  My belly is flat!  No trough and no bulging upper belly.  My entire DIEP scar was revised.  My right breast looks a little off.  I'm going to see what Dr S says about that on Monday.  I did get to meet Semper and KaitsMom.  So wonderful to meet both of you!   

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited December 2011

Cherrie- PM  AnneW. She's had several surgeries at Fairway with Dr. Massey. She can help you know what to expect.

Joni

• Cherrie
    edited December 2011

Cider8....I am so happy you are feeling well.  Wow..a flat stomach.  There are many advantages to this surgery.  What wonderful doctors we have.  I feel blessed for that.  Keep us posted on how you are doing and give the other girls there a hug.  We are definitely thinking about them. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2011

Cherrie, lots of women go to Fairway and everybody has liked it fine. I do think somebody complained about the food. Basically, the docs would not go there if it wasn't a good hospital. 

Maybe ask if Dr. D can assist instead of Dr. S? maybe then you can go sooner? Just a thought. AnneW just did finish nips with Marga, and she has been to Fairway. As Jacee said above... 

• Cherrie
    edited December 2011

Thank you Jacee and Springtime.  I will connect with AnneW.  It is hard to keep track of all of this.  I need to organize all this info. 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011

I spoke to my friend, Maggie. She is going to be at SCSH until Monday and would love to talk to anyone who is staying there or visiting. She's putting her name on the door, so please stop by and say "hi!"

She was originally scheduled for a stage 2 but she had so much skin necrosis from her rads that Dr S felt it was better to start over. So she had a suprise stage 1 done two days ago...and is staying at the hospital until she goes hom on Monday. I know she'd love some company.

Thanks for helping to support her!
  • Djweinstein
    edited December 2011

Nordy--You did a GREAT job!  Thank you so much!  I just accidentally posted the same question twice!  Thank you!

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2011

Hi everyone,

Back in my room at SCSH.  after surgery.  Dr. D. was running late from the early AM surgery so I started late and because of it have only been back in my room for about two hours.  It is busy here.  I will look Maggie up.  I want to move to the chair in my room but I am guessing that they may want me to wait for real walking..  I was told the surgery went well but haven't had a chance to see the actual results yet. I want to thank everyone for their amazing support!

Bernice

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited December 2011

Kathryn -- 

Have pre-op Monday, and one Maggie to another, if she is still there, I will look her up. Know what room she is in? 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011

Maggie - I'll find out her room number and post it. Thanks!

• cider8
    edited December 2011

Kathryn, I'm sorry I didn't get to meet your friend.  I have a post op Monday at 3.  Let me know if she is still around then.

I heard Dr D was in surgery until 1am a couple nights ago.  Crazy!! 

I can't sleep!  I'm up on pain meds and trying to drink more water.  We ate dinner at Cafe Degas.  So nice.   I have one goal to reach tomorrow!  Time to drink the Smooth Move tea.