Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited December 2011

Hey ladies - it's been a while, got very busy at work doing two other people's jobs including mine...when I told my manager I was working around the clock just to keep up he said "well that makes up for all the time you took off this summer" - (meaning the time I took off for both my surgeries) Yes I wanted to strangle him!

So regarding the tattoo roadtrip - I'm in!  I would need to coordinate dates well in advance though since I'm coming from the west coast.  However I see many trips back in NY/NJ in my future so a drive to PA or MD would be easy from there.  I was under the impression that we needed to wait 6 months after stage 2 to get tattoos that would put me at mid-Feb at the earliest.  What is everyone else's timeframe?

Big, big week coming up!  Amy best of luck and let us know how your tattoos go!  Semper - wishing you the best of luck, enjoy the Monteleone - I love that carousel bar!  And all the great window shopping on Royal - fun!  Also will be thinking of dbdaze, cider, kbodie and besa - party at SCSH!

Theresa - best of luck with your BSO!  Let us know how it goes...

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited December 2011

Hey Need2new,

I would definitely not pack jeans. Once you are done with surgery you have to wear this compression girdle thing, you have tubes in both sides and you have to put these thick gauzy pads around them. So you need some loose, bigger pants. And button down shirts.

Ladies, I am five weeks out and I actually tried on a bikini today! Happy, happy that I am getting back to normal! Yaaaah, NOLA! 

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2011

Husband and I got in late last night. Was able to get a quick visit in to see Michelle and her mom before heading to my pre-op appointment. Michelle you've to a wonderful spirit father all you've been through -- wishing you and your family the happiest of holidays. ( Hope you patent that build-a-boob idea, btw).

Looking forward to the warmer weather heading this way this week. A bit of sightseeing tomorrow and surgery Wed morning.

Good luck to all you ladies here this week. Hopefully, I'll run into a few more of you.

Debbie

• dbdaze
    edited December 2011

Just re-read the above -- man, auto-correct has gotta go!

In case you're trying to read the above, Michelle -- lol -- You've got a wonderful spirit having gone through so much!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited December 2011

So for those of you that have had the nipples done, has anyone had them fixed a 2nd time? Mine are almost completely flat :( I was so afraid of this, not sure what can be done if anything now to fix them????? i just don't know if it's worthyet another trip (as much as I love NOLA) if it really is a wasted trip.

• semper
    semper Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2011

Weird my post didn't post. I am at the hotel Monteleone for 2 nights. I changed my hotel cause they are having a papa Noel special

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

Dana... I was told 3 months... and if you do travel east, you are welcome to stay here at my home.

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited December 2011

evening ladies, good luck to all those coming up and gosh a day or so away here and things happen fast..i am just back from oncologist and starting tamoxifen...AND my marena arrived!!! and is so much more comfortable than the flex support...is it really naughty to stay in marena now, when really supposed to stay in hospital girdle until wed?? medium worked out perfect for me...somehow i feel like this gives as much compression, without the bulk?????

• louis13
    edited December 2011

ok, take that back..dont think it does give as much compression....even going from large flex support to medium marena...but gosh, so much more comfy!! totallly get why you guys keep wearing them, dont feel like even on!

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Rosemary.. I started tamoxifen yesterday... so far so good.

• dbdaze
    edited December 2011

Pre-op for Stage 2B with Dr. S today -- expected just a little tweaking to even up the "girls" but as usual Dr. S went for perfection with his magic marker.  I'm absolutely stoked about all his ideas, even if it does involve plication.  Might as well prepare myself -- anything I should know about recovery after plication?

• louis13
    edited December 2011

ahh betsy...you always have to beat me to it! btw, today i learnt about creaky..it is to do with menapause, or drop in estrogen from the chemo...

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

I don't think so... I was not creaky before stage II and am creaky now... I think its the lipo and then lack of exercise.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2011

Dbdaze, good to hear about perfection with the marker!  I feel like I need a lot of work done, but we'll see Wed.

I leave tomorrow (Tues) morning for a 10+hr drive to NOLA.   I'm staying at Hope Lodge first 2 nights, then a house near the city park after the hospital until I leave next Tues morning.  I hope to be in touch with a few of you!  I anyone is in the hosp on Wed let me know if you are up for a visit and when you might be discharged.  I will be able to check back once I get into NOLA.

I'm so excited!!!   

• denouement
    edited December 2011

Betsy - hmm, 3 months eh?  I'll post on Dr. D's site and ask him - I thought it was 6...your offer to stay at your home is amazing!  Where in NJ are you?  My parents are in Ft. Lee so I usually stay with them but if we do a roadtrip to PA or MD your place might be closer...would be so much fun to do a group tattoo trip!

Oh and what is creaky? 

dbddaze - didn't have plication so not sure what to recommend but so happy that you are stoked for tomorrow - I'm stoked for you!  and for everyone else having surgery this week...seems like a lot of good things are going on in NOLA right about now...

• louis13
    edited December 2011

well i thought so too..but then today with oncologist she was running thru with me what to expect with proper menapause as opposed to chemopause and she said creaky.....and described exactly what i have been feeling...stiff and bit sore when i start moving, but then fine..and i am not worried about tamoxifen after our meeting.., have been getting warm flushes all thru chemo after first couple of rounds when stopped menstruating and am dealing with it fine...the covers on the bed just come and go a lot ... i think i really must be there anyway 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2011

I think the Marena does give good compression. It doesn't have to be painful to work :)  I've been in Marena for 2 stage 1's and 2 stage 2's and I've had no issues with seroma or even noticeable swelling.  No idea if that was Marena or just the way my body works, but I know I feel better when I wear it so it must be doing something.

• Fight-like-a-girl
    Fight-like-a-girl Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2011

What is plication?

Thanks

Katnu

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Dana.. I live near Princeton...

• dbdaze
    edited December 2011

Kathy:  Plication is stitching up the center of the abdominal muscle to tighten it.  My understanding is it gives you a much flatter look but extends your recovery a few more weeks.  Some folks have been very pleased and others are left with an uncomfortable tight feeling.  After Stage 2, I was left with a most definite muffin top appearance where my scar is --  though I'm flater than before, the lower part is quite poochie and Dr. S feels that plication AND lowering the incision (removing some of the skin and pulling it tighter) will give me a much better appearance.  As usual, I go with Dr S's opinion.  (That "magic marker" was aflyin' yesterday!)   

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited December 2011

Just found out that I can have a nipple put on (I am unilateral replacement) in Stage 2 if I want it. Hadn't thought about it as it seems like most of you were Stage 2a or 2b or later before nipple placement. Dr. D. is doing the surgery and I can have as much as I want ... thought to ask what the consensus is about the nipple addition at that time. And what process was used ... the origami (out of the breast tissue) or a "transplant" from tissue from elsewhere. Kinda scared about it hearing stories of nipple guards and all ...

• louis13
    edited December 2011

Dana, 'creaky' was the word Betsy coined to describe how she has been feeling post stage 2...ie no big deal, but just feeling stiffer and for ege, bit like lack of joint lubrication when you get up after sitting down etc...

celtic, nipple guards are nothing to worry about except for dealing with their x- rated appearance thru clothes! 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011
    Good luck to everyone with upcoming surgeries. Amy, you're up first!  Can't wait to hear how it went with the tats today. I'm considering doing one of mine - on the BC side which now has a very light-colored nipple compared to the other. Also, I seem to have sort of black and blue marks on that same breast that gets darker and lighter on different days. Anyone have that? I'm going to send a picture to Dr S to see what he thinks - but it doesn't show up that well in the pix.
  • kathrynla
    edited December 2011

One of my closest friends - Maggie - is back at NOLA for what was supposed to be her stage 2. But her radiated skin has become necrotic and now Dr S has to do a repeat Stage 1 from her hips this time.  She's bummed and in a bit of shock since it wasn't what she was expecting. So everyone who's at SCSC please keep an eye out for her and give her a big smile (she can use it!) She has surgery in the AM and will be there until Sunday.  She has short hair that right now I think is red, she's about 5'1", and her brother is there with her.  Oh yes, she's at the Monteleone tonight. Thanks for keeping an eye out for her!

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

Kathryn, if I see her before I leave I for sure will. This process we go through definitely has its highs and lows.

Wishing everyone luck this week during surgery. I am heading home tomorrow but feel nervous about possibly failing. I couldn't bear it.

Amy, I am thinking of you...all will work out...for both of us. I am so blessed to have you now in my life. I truly feel like I have known you forever. Hugs!

Michelle

• kathrynla
    edited December 2011

Anne,  congratulations on the final stage - nipples!  I'm so excited for you and look forward to hear how they look.

I was wondering about compression yoga pants - are they marena? Please do tell! I'd love more info.

• kathrynla
    edited December 2011

Dana - the nerve of your boss.  So, he thinks surgery is a vacation!?  Yeesh!

Betsy and Louis - oh...so that's what you call it. I kind of have aches in my back and joints when I start to move...but like you, it wears off.  Didn't even connected it to my BSO.

dbddaze - Dr S did a mini-plication (whatever the heck that is!) and it hasn't been to bad. My tummy is tight, but I sort of like that - makes it feel flat to me.  Not painful for me at all. I'm almost 7 weeks out from it. I'm sure you'll love the results. Love that blue marker!

Semper,dbdaze, cider, kbodie and besa - wishing you luck and thinking of you!

Michelle - Thanks (for keeping an eye out for Maggie!) and so happy for you that you'll be heading home soon.

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2011

KathrynLA - I looked at the Marena yoga pants on their site - know nothing about them but springtime had mentioned them. Am struggling with what to bring to wear. I despise button down shirts and jogging pants. Thnking some knit dresses ight be better w/ leggings?

Did everyone stay in their compression garment from the hospital and switch to the Marena soft one in 2 weeks? I am a bit nervous as I had part of my stomach removed for a stomach cancer and hate pressure on my tumy below my boobs but above my waist. I assume since I am a GAPer they will put me in a surgical bra and the girdle?

Any info appreciated. Karen 

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Karen... You will for sure be in a girdle, but you don't have to zip it all the way up. I actually cut the waistband off. you wil need to compress your butt, not your abs.

Maggie... I had the nipple built at stage 2a (first stage II)... hopefully only stage II... but we'll see.

• denouement
    edited December 2011

Hey question for the Fairway gals - I have a friend from FORCE in Seattle who is BRCA+ and looking to have her PBM with DIEP or hip flaps.  She is looking at NOLA after being disappointed by her local docs (sounds familiar!)  She's in the midst of working on the finances with them and is thinking she's not going to be able to swing the out of pocket.  I know NOLA docs works out of Fairway sometimes and I hear great things about Dr. Massey too - what is the protocol for engaging with them and do people usually have better luck with insurance at Fairway vs. SCSH?  Is this something she should ask Liz about or is that not kosher?  Your insight is much appreciated - I want to get her as much info as possible as she's making this difficult decision.  She has a scheduled call with Liz tomorrow so a quick reply would be awesome!  Thanks in advance...