Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited December 2011

Kathryn - yeah, work has not been all that understanding...I'm working 7 days a week, at least 10 hours a day right now...it's has to let up soon right?  right?!?!?

Betsy/Rosemary - ah, yes creaky...i know that feeling...that makes sense...very accurate description...not a big deal but certainly limiting and draining...i still feel that way a bit almost 4 months out but I did not get enough time to recover from stage 2...

Sending virtual positive vibes to Maggie and all the ladies down in NOLA this week!

• denouement
    edited December 2011

Oh yeah and Dr. D said 3 months for nipple tattoo (I swear it was 6) so I'm ready!  However I probably can't get back east until Feb at the earliest for a nipple tattoo roadtrip...thoughts?

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

i can't do it before mid feb anyway and thats assuming my nip is in the right place... no rush.

• nowords
    nowords Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2011

I went to Fairway with Dr. Massey...Dr. Sullivan was with her the first stage., then just Dr. M for the remaining stages...

I have retired military insurance Tricare Standard and a supplement. Dr. Massey worked with my insurance, I did most things through Ashley Packer, Dr. M's assistant in Charleston. I think Tricare standard is different than active duty insurance, but I would think active duty would be better.

You can PM me for phone number if your friend wants to talk insurance...

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011

Karen - Definitely tell the doctor your fears about compressing your abdomen. It may make a difference. Once you are out of the hospital (probably sooner) you won't have to zip it all the way to the top and can take some of the pressure off. The most important part you'll be compressing is your hips/upper tush.

This last stage 2 I got into the marena at exactly 2 weeks. I've been wearing it ever since - it's now almost 7 weeks. I know I can stop at any time but it feels protective and reassuring to be wearing it. I guess I'm a bit addicted to it!

Yes, you can bring a knit dress and leggings - but the drains (if you have them and you probably will) are a bit lumpy. So the bigger the dress, the better. I wore leggings after stage 2. You don't have much feeling where they do the surgery on your hips, so it doesn't matter if the leggings aren't lose. I don't think this is the same with DIEP.  The center gives you a belt with sort of pockets to put the drains in but I found that getting something called a "bella band" - worn by pregnant women and sold at Target - and tucking the drains under them gave me a flatter appearance and I could wear more of my clothes without a bulge.

Good luck!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2011

I think having Tricare is the main reason they do surgeries at Fairway. But they don't do many there and it's not an ideal situation. It's a long drive over a long bridge between there and the center, so if they have patients in both locations it's pretty taxing for the docs.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011

Dana - OMG, they are pushing you too hard. I hope you get some downtime over the holidays.

• nowords
    edited December 2011

Dr Massey lives on the New Orleans side of the causeway...Dr. Sullivan lives on the Covington side where Fairway is, so he followed me for rounds over the week-end for my stage 1...Dr. Trahan from the New Orleans Center operated the day I was there recently as well...I think incovenience is less of an issue with Tricare than the amount Tricare pays the docs is....

Dr. Massey will work with anyone. Call her....she fits you in...my surgeries were on Holiday week-ends except for the last one... 

• joasta7
    joasta7 Member Posts: 30
    edited December 2011

Hi Everyone - have not been on for a few weeks - want to thank all of you for your prayers and thoughts!  Have not had time to go through the posts but hoping that everyone is healing and getting better!  Praying that those scheduled for surgery will breeze through it and feel better quickly!  I have rescheduled my Phase 2 surgery for December 29th at SCSH with Dr. Trahan.  Looking forward to getting this done!

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Good luck Joasta... I am glad they could squeeze you in before the end of the year... Hope you are well.

• djfrro
    djfrro Member Posts: 55
    edited December 2011

so, I have not checked in for a while, I am about 8 weeks out of stage 2 and am pleased with the results.  I did not keep the compression going for very long after wards, I just could not stand that thing, I stoped wearing it after about a week.  Things still look good.  I am still dealing with the serum sickness symptoms.  I did find out what was causing me so much pain before and after my surgery.  I had a collapsed lung.  No one caught it leading up to surgery.  As it turns out I flew to NOLA, had my surgery and flew home with a colapsed lung.  It is almost re inflated now and they are watching it.  My oncologist ordered a routine CT scan a couple of weeks ago and that is how they found it.  It is not a wonder I was in so much pain!

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited December 2011

KathrynLA - I know what you mean about being addicted to compression. I switched to the Marena at exactly 2 weeks also. And wore it until 6 weeks. And stopped for about 2 days thinking I was done with compression. My stomach started to swell again. I think from too much activity I was trying hard to get my 'plank' going again and doing my usual exercise classes (while being mindful of my restrictions). Any way my PT told me to use compression again when I was active and this would take care of the swelling. So I was back in it during the day until 8 weeks out (which was 2 days ago). Now I'm trying to 'wean' myself from it because I know I do not want to wear that Marena the rest of my life :). But it is hard. I just don't feel as secure now without it. Crazy - uh?

djfrro - I can not even believe that you went through all of that with a collapsed lung!  I can not imagine the pain you must have been in. You are a true warrior! I hope that you are getting better now and MUCH more comfortable. You certainly deserve it! 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2011

The compression yoag pants I got are Marenas. They fit really well and are comfotable. Haven't used them for a serious workout yet, but will soon.

In regards to insurances and where the docs operate, I had a friend from this area who had surgery with Dr. D in Slidell, can't remember the name of the facility. Dr. S is the only doc who will work with Marga's TriCare patients. Reimbursement is scandalous, and only going to get worse. I have no idea how the active duty TriCare works. No TriCare will pay for the Center. But I've been very happy with the care I've gotten at Fairway.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2011

I am here! Drove from Iowa to Minneapolis at 10 last night. In at 1:30. Up again at 4:30. Flight at 6:20 layover in Memphis where we were almost left, closing the gate when we got there, whew! Then straight to SCSH for pre op and now waiting for pre op with surgeon. We are early but didn't

Know what to do and we a tired...last time, appt ran really late due to long surgery so hopefully not that again but I know it is busy here this week! Oddly, I am the only one here though. Cheers stage 2 women, we are almost there!

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited December 2011

I do think Drs S and D much prefer SCSH and I'm sure the convenience has a lot to do with it. Not sure about Dr M. I saw Dr D for a consult so was already going with him, and when they checked on the insurance found out that my BCBS would not pay for SCSH. Period. There was some discussion using Oschner Baptist hospital, but I didn't want to go there because of some incidents with really poor nursing care I learned about on this board. (And I think I heard Dr D doesn't go there anymore for the same reason.) Anyway, he agreed to go to Fairway to do my sugery even though I guess lives far from there, and I was very pleased with my care. The long and the short of it is they will work something out for you!

• KBodie
    edited December 2011

BTW, those of you who had NSM but are talking about going for tattoos, is that due to loss of color?

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited December 2011

Just had a nice chat with Kaitsmom and she is doing well. Surgery went smoothly this AM and she is resting, fairly comfortably, in her room. She says that she is happy to be a visitor or a visitee...if anyone feels like dropping by, they should. Tomorrow , when she is up walking around she would be glad to stop in to see anyone else.

YAY for being done!!!

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited December 2011

Hi Fab Women,

Good luck to all of you having surgeries in the next weeks. I so love reading this board. I have another question, post stage 1: for some reason I was reading the discharge papers, and it says during weeks 3-6 you can use scar aides (like Mederma, etc.) to help reduce scarring. So I went to CVS and my goodness, they have a lot of items like silicone patches, etc. (very expensive) that help reduce scars. My question is, why does the Center recommend this, when we are going for stage 2 in 12 weeks and we will have a fresh set of scars? Thanks! 

• denouement
    edited December 2011

I heard from Semper - she is out of surgery, groggy but doing well - yay!

In terms of the scars, at least for me most of my DIEP scar wasn't touched during state 2 - they fixed the dog ears at the ends and there was a small incision in the middle for my hyst but the rest was not touched.  for my breasts just the under bust in the center and on the outside edges was revised. So putting scar cream on those part after stage 1 definitely helped get me a jump start.  New scars (under 6-12 months) are much easier to deal with than old scars. 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2011

Hey ladies-

I have a new bra recommendation.  It's a new bra (hasn't been out that long). It's a Bali "Comfort Revolution" bra. VERY comfortable, especially the band.  The cups are foam-lined so they're great for wearing with those damn nipple guards. Even though the cups are shaped they do stretch a bit, which comes in handy if you're (temporarily) an odd shape or two different sizes. I have to believe they made these with people like us in mind.

Here's a link:

http://www.onehanesplace.com/outlet/bras/bali-bra/bali-wirefree/bali-comfort-revolution-wirefree-bra 

There's another one in the same line that has less defined cups, looks like more of a leisure/sleep bra. Also has a stretchy band and stretchy cups and looks very comfortable:

http://www.onehanesplace.com/outlet/bras/bali-bra/bali-wirefree/-23782--1 

P.S. The first one is running about $18 on Amazon right now. The second one is in a "trial" period and you can only get from onehanesplace, at a deep discount for now.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2011

Dragon - you should PM Sandy in Paradise, she has done a lot with nips. If it were me, I would concentrate on Tattos at this point. The tattoos really really  really help a lot. 

Jesk, thanks for the BRA RECOMMENDATION!!! I am going to check it out and may order a couple.  

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2011

djfrro - Did you have a pre-op chest X-ray and was your lung collapsed on that or did you wake up with a central line?

More questions: How soon after the surgery were you allowed to raise your arms above your head? I need an MRI & CT not too long after I get home and lay on my back with elbows near my ears, hands clasped above head.

Karen 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2011

I am going through the same thing right now and waiting to hear about the out of pocket costs.  I too fear it won't happen, but Dr. Massey tells me not to worry.  As soon as I know more I can share what I found out.  My insurance, in Michigan, is great, but NOLA is out of network.  If no one in your area does the "stacked DIEP" it could be a way to work around an exemption at in network costs. (DIEP and Hip flaps)  No one within 60 miles of me does this surgery so this is the path we are taking right now.  I hope your friend finds a way to get to NOLA.  She can email Dr. Massey's office and reach Ashley.  She is very helpful.

• KBodie
    edited December 2011

Well I am more blue at this point than bare skin! I am marked up! Got so busy planning ton get here, I didn't arrange meeting with anyone once I got here. So maybe after. Thought after stage 1 I was pretty out of it for awhile. On a good note, I will have on-q ball and pain pump. And will get to stay two nights. On a bad note, I will also have two drains for a week or more. The realization of how much I am having done in addition to the hysterectomy hit me hard. Yet, I want to get done and move on.

So we went to GW Fins, again. And it was fantastic, again. Was going to catch a movie but dinner went too late. So back in room, knowing I should shower and go to bed but I am kinda pre-surgery hyper. Best best wishes to all the surgery pals today, tomorrow, friday. Hope you are all well.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Karen... I could lift my arms right away I think... As soon as I was wearing real clothes, I was wearing shirts that slip over the head... and at the two week mark, I had to have a lung function test and some other test and had to have my arms over my head... I couldn't stretch them up for sure, but they were somewhat bent and over my head.

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2011

Goood luck to everyone who is having surgery -Katesmom, semper, dbdaze,cider8, Kbodie!  I will be at the center late tomorrow and have surgery on Friday.  I will try to hook up with any of you that are at the hospital  Friday evening or Saturday.  I guess I should see how I am feeling after surgery..  I will be staying at the Homewood suites for the weekend.  Karern - I honestly can't remember any restructions on lifting my arms over my head after stage I. (probably  you should ask the Center docs to make sure).  If you had a sentinal node biopsy it may take a while before you get the range of motion back.  .

• nowords
    edited December 2011

I also vouch for the care at Fairway if you end up there...the Center is luxury but Fairway is okay too...it is the surgeon you want mostly...Fairway has a 0 infection rate...ZERO...last time I researched it...some of the nurses who cared for me, worked in New Orleans as well...moved to Fairway so the travel was less...

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2011

Thank you all for the replies. I have had nothing but a lumpectomy. The CT & MRI are to follow another cancer I had to be sure it has not gone anywhere else. I do scans every 3 months. This sounds crazy but the last 2 times my mastectomies were scheduled I had a scan right before and they found cancer both times. So this time I am changing the order and doing the mastectomies first!

Kbodie - good luck in the am, remember Versed is your friend ;) 

Last question for today - Did anyone bring a photo of what they wanted to look like or just let the docs do what they thought best?

Karen 

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

I meant to bring a photo and forgot... The docs are great at listening to what your goals are.

Good luck ladies... It is funny to me.. I was scheduled for Dec 16 for a while and then back it up to November... But had I gone in december, I would have for sure had lots of company!!!! Enjoy the overlap.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited December 2011

Dana, where the surgery is performed is dictated by ones insurance policy. The insurance office at the Center will sort all of that out for your friend.

Hugs sweet girl!

Marcia :)