Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2011

Our last December Surgery!!!

Go Celtic! 

Dec 20 - Celtic_Antique - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA  

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

Thinking of you Maggie.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011

Celtic - you're going to look awesome!

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited December 2011
    Betsy - I have that bloated upper belly too. My physical therapist said it was swelling (not fat :) as I thought it was) and that I needed to keep wearing my compression when I was active.  So it is 9 weeks today and I'm still wearing my marena during the day. If I don't wear it my upper belly just keeps getting bigger and bigger and tighter and tighter. So uncomfortable. 
  • bdavis
    edited December 2011

Laura... I do wear it during the day, but was hoping to stop at 6 weeks... After stage I, I wore it for 4 weeks and then stopped and the belly subsided, and was fine by the time I went for stage II.. but the upper belly didn't have any trauma in stage I... and not much in stage II, but at least some. I am glad to hear that is what the PT said... reassuring. I may try to stop and see what happens. I find it interesting that I can equally wear size medium and large Marena... it seems that in the morning the medium is harder to put on, but just a couple hours later it is fine... like my body needs the compression.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2011

I was very nervous to have my nipple reconstructed in the clinic!  I honestly felt more at ease as soon as I saw Celeste.  The room was all set up with so much gear.  With soooothing music playing in the background.  First Celeste needed to remove my nipple shield from the left side.  The tape was stuck really good.  Got my picture taken.  Then Dr S looked at me to mark the spot for the nipple.  He pushes back in the rolling stool and squints to find the spot.  I remembered my other plastic surgery visits where they used measuring tape.  Never have I seen measuring tape at CRBS!  Very cool if you think about it.  Dr S said he couldn't believe he was able to get rid of the whole skin paddle I had.  Back to have another photo taken.  I got all draped up.  Dr S asked me if I wanted a narration.  I passed!  I was way too nervous.  I told him I like to know when it's not going on.  I was numbed, but I couldn't feel it.  It took maybe 15 minutes.  Dr S's stomach was growling.  I didn't get my drain out.  I get to pull it in the morning.  After Dr S left, Celeste filled me in.  Dr S revised the vertical incision and made the nipple out of that skin.  Celeste was shocked he revised it right there.  Good thing I didn't see her face!  Stacy was watching the whole time, too.  Celeste glued up the incisions.  I can't remember if I got a 3 photo taken.  I got set up with more betadine swabs, abd pads and Kelo-Cote cream.  Celeste said my breasts will continue to change shape as the weeks go on.  So the oddness on my right side just might even out.  Maybe that's why Dr S revised the scar.  I got a smaller girdle.  I'll change into that after I get home.  I still need to wear TED hose in the car ride home.   

That's it!   I forgot to ask about op report, but I'll ask Stacy for it later.  I am SO pleased with my results so far.  I might actually be finished with surgery!

Maggie, you'll do great! 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011
    Laura - that's interesting - swelling. Even this far out? How long did the PT say it might last. My Merena slides right on - I'm guessing that means it's too small? Also, have slept the last two nights compression garment free...and I seem more swollen in the AM.  I feel like I'll never get out of them if I don't start to wean now.
  • bdavis
    edited December 2011

I have been garment free at night for two weeks... and in the morning it is harder to get the garment on than later in the day, but not so so hard. I do find the Marena crotch opening is not sufficiently large enough so I have to pull the whole thing down everytime I go to the bathroom... which is a lot.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Paula... I am stunned that they would revise your incision in the clinic...

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2011

Got your message thanks! I will find out the date later this week and will deal with it. I am getting more and more ready. I am so excited to have Dr. Massey and feel very blessed that she is so good at what she does. NOLA here I come!!!! You women are the support that Pandazanker and I need.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2011

Snip, snip.  Sew, sew!  Sure wasn't a problem.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

That is all good to know cause I may need a nipple revision... its a little off center... Of course if he wants to knock me out and do more nip tuck, I am ok with that too.

• Springtime
    edited December 2011

Paula, call me crazy, but I think it is ultra cool to have that procedure done and not need to be doped up and knocked out. I think it takes me a year to get rid of the anesthesia in my system! My brain feels compromised. Good for you!!! I have heard of Dr. S doing this but not Dr. D. Hmmm.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

There's a first for everything... I am Dr D's patient... so we'll see.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2011

I think Dr. M is going to make my left nipple that way next week. I also need a slight dog ear correction, and I don't know if she can do that under local, but I'm hoping she can. I'm not squeamish, and I've had enough general anesthesia to last me a lifetime. Would be nice to spend new year's weekend not hung over from the general.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2011

I had a revision with Dr. D in the clinic a year ago, with Jeanine assisting.  I'd heard in the past that they prefer the sterile environment of the OR, but I'm with you, Spring.  I didn't want more anesthesia.  I've asked if I can have a small touchup to the lipo on on side of my waist without being put under, and I was told they won't do it while the patient is awake...not yet anyway.  Maybe I'll keep asking until the answer is yes.  You never know, because back when I started, they weren't doing lipo on knees and arms!!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2011

I forgot that I logged on so I could post news about Penny.  She was my first nurse in NOLA, and she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer a while back...I think it was about 1 1/2 years ago.  She just found out that there is a recurrence in one lymph node, and I'm sure she'd love to know that more prayers are being said for her as her doctors sort out what to do this time.  My NOLA friend Alaina is better now than when I was in NOLA a month ago, but her battle continues.  She has recurrence of breast cancer in her liver and bones.   Alaina noticed a post of mine here about three years ago, when I was headed to NOLA alone for my triple whammy surgery--breast revisions, hysterectomy and pelvic floor repairs.  She met me at the airport and we became fast friends.  She has taken me and my various family members all over southern Louisiana, helped me do bridal shows in NOLA, helped other women traveling there for surgery...she is just the most amazingly generous and caring person.  She had her recurrence after four years and has been on chemo for almost the entire past two years.  Let's pray for these two amazingly loving women as they fight so hard!!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited December 2011

I've been  working a ton and I am pages behind but I am going away tomorrow and I wanted  to stop in and wish all of you wonderful women a HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON!

Kaitsmom, Semper,  DBaze, Cider8, KBodie and Besa - I hope that you are healing well.

CelticAntique - Wishing you well tomorrow.  I hope you are pain free!

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, wisdom and faith with me this  past year. I wish you all Health, Joy and Happiness in 2012!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited December 2011

I'm headin' in ladies. See you on the other side!!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited December 2011

Healing thoughts celtic.

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2011

KBodie: R U now functioning on your own without straining? I think I spoke. Bit too soon. I'm still not back to normal. Was told a doc would call yesterday to talk to me about it -- no call. :(

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2011

Good luck Celtic - you are in good hands. 

Cider8 - I also would absolutely prefer a revision in the clinic - I have so had it with anesthesia and am not squemish. 

Saw Dr. D in Clinic yesterday for my post op stage 2 appointment and lost all the drains - yeah!  There was a HUGE wait to get in to seem him.  Everything was delayed because of a long consult (I think for a new patient).  I ended up in tears in the waiting room.  Wasn't feeling great to begin with - some pain and dealing with the compression garment.  Also with me, in addition to a beautiful new GAP reconstruction, the bigger issue is that Dr. D. has been trying to fix a messed up DIEP reconstruction I had done locally in Maryland.  I know there is a limit to even what Dr. D's magic can do - so I felt really tense waiting to hear his take on my lastest surgery.  I don't think my husband knew what to do with me - sitting there in tears.  Anyway, flew home last night without any issues.  I used a wheel chair to get through security and was given one of the front row seats on Southwest where there is a little more room. 

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

Hi Girls, hope you all are healing well! 

I now have a horrible cold...just can't get a break.  I do have a couple questions.  First, for all you Gap/hipsters, how long will i be numb???  Also, i have nerve pain/strange feeling.  Like shooting something in my hip..jolt feeling.  Weird...hope that goes away.  Every since i got out of surgery i have had a horrible taste in my mouth and nothing tastes good.  Could this be from the antibiotic?  I don't feeling like drinking water because of it but i know i need to. 

I am going to try to wrap the presents that i have had sitting her bought since mid november.  I realized that i have no stocking stuffers for my kids.  And also nothing for my in laws.  My in laws have everything...any quick last minute easy suggestions?

Adey...thank you for posting...was getting worried about you...almost called yesterday but thought i had better wait till after the holidays.  Hugs to you all!

Michelle

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2011

Good luck Celtic. Sorry to hear of your delays and worries Besa. Does he think the repair worked? Dbdaze, I do still need to give it a push to get it going and then have to keep pushing to get it fully empty.

I had post op at 3 yesterday and was almost on time. Dr. S came in smiling and relaxed and happy. Said that is going to look great. Seemed proud of his work and that made me feel good. And of course, Celeste, love her. Always calm, eager to reassure, so knowledgeable. So as much pain as I was still in, I left feeling pretty good. The car rides and plan ride really did me in though.

The lump of swelling on my backside is so huge, I cannot even sit back in a chair. I am so swollen, my legs run right into my feet. I am so scrunched into these compression garments, I fear I will never gt them back on. When I got out of bed, I felt so heavy, I could swear there was a weight belt around my waist. So I got on the scale, even though they told me not to. 20 pounds! I am walking around with 20 pounds of extra weight in fluid.

So I am feeling like this is hitting me harder than stage 1 and maybe that's why doing it so soon after was good and bad. Because I am already sick of drains and compression wear. Can't believe i have several more weeks of it! Anyone else had this kind of swelling and how soon did it go back down?

I am also irritable. Just feel like snapping inside. I have help just for today and yet I am loading dishwasher, and being asked what is for dinner. Should the two people I have here just take one of my meals out of the freezer I made for when I would have no help? Um...no??!!

So I need to try to get into a frame of mind that is more holiday appropriate. Because I trust the doctors and I trust all of you and this will pass. Right?

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2011

Michelle: The numbness and random shooting pain WILL fade -- it took months for mine though.  I can relate to your thinking you were prepared for Christmas and then realizing things that never got done!  As far as in-laws -- I really prefer to do consumable presents -- gift certificate to a nice restaurant or tickets to a play, concert or show.  Good luck with getting those last minute things done.  Like you, I've been hit with a cold and deep congestion.  Each time I go into a coughing jag, I think I'm going to pass out from the abdominal pain. Merry Christmas, huh? LOL

Besa: It's behind you -- hope you can enjoy the holidays relaxed and surrounded by family.

Celtic: Almost ...

• KBodie
    edited December 2011

Michelle, I do have that weird taste as well. Even after brushing, it comes back. Makes everything unappetizing, esp water. That's terrible that you have a cold now as well. I would say just take it easy this year for the holidays. But then I might be a hypocrite.

• KBodie
    edited December 2011

Db you have a cold too? Ok, time to shed the irritability. Thankful i do not have a cold...can't imagine coughing with these giant incisions. Thankful for the help I do have. Thankful the kids are in school two more days. And thankful I have not had the insomnia I had with stage 1. In fact, I am going to go take a nap.

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

Db..hah...i cannot beleive you have a cold too!  Dr. M told me last night that everyone in NOLA is sick....so perhaps that is where it came from?  Good to know that the nerve deal is normal...but irritating:)

Kbodie...i find myself snacking a lot just to get a better taste in my mouth...not good for the diet that i hope to start someday:)

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2011

Kbodie- are you still taking painkillers?  I've found that I get pretty cranky in my percocet hangover state.  Not sure why that is, but it seems to be a pretty consistent after effect. For me, anyway.

• Springtime
    edited December 2011

I have some belly and butt numbness that has not resolved, just FYI. Hope for the best, though! I think this is not uncommon.

Thinking of you Celtic! Let us know when you come out the other side! Our last surgery girl of 2011!!

Besa, I second KBodie, did he think the repair worked? Glad you lost 2 drains!!! yay!!

Sandy, prayers for Penny and Alaina - who is a dear. I would also like to request prayers for Jane Murphy - she's had a recurrence to her bones and is going on that new pill chemo drug Xeloda. If you pray, please pray for her too...

Maybe that's the next wave, Sandy and all. Procedures the office under local!!!

Also, those who are swollen. I too was very puffed out after Stage 2 lipo. Lipo is very hard on you! My legs and knees and ankles, they didn't even LOOK like MY legs!! I think lipo causes a lot of swelling in some of us. My drains come out really really really fast, but I swell like crazy! We're all different.