Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2012

springtime, i just bought that cd last week. too funny. i havent listend to it yet but glad to hear that it helped.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited March 2012

I have it too!  Must find it.  (c:

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2012

Glostagiel - good for you! You wil be pleased!

Update: Jane123 is doing well, possible discharge today, finally sleeping per her husband. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2012

That CD helped me A LOT!! I put it up in the list of "Useful Links" at the top. Part of my "healing work" would be to rest in the afternoon and listen to the meditation. Then you start needing it less and less, as you get stronger. Soon, you have moved on. But there is a period when it was an important part of my recovery! 

There is also a great meditation to get READY for the surgery. Very Calming. It puts your mind in the place it should be. Instead of anxiety, you have a sense of reassurance.  

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited March 2012

When I ha dopen heart surgery, the surgeon was a firm believer in guided imagery. So, for 4 wks prior to surgery, I dutifully practiced. The last thing I remember was the nurse putting on my earphones and the click of the (then) small tape recorder. Surgeon said they used 30% less anesthestia (heart/lung machine and all) and that I hold the record for extubation at Cleveland Clinic after such a demanding surgery -- less than 7 hrs! It WORKS folks! Regardless of how skeptical, it works. Any sort of mediation will work ... some I know use a rosary or prayer beads.

Sorry I have been so quiet.  Have hit a deep depression and it is taking all of my strength to work, continue to move forward with the renovation for the B&B (only 2 weeks behind now!), and try to keep myself on this earth. All of your posts help ... reminds me that I am being quite selfish thinking the way I am. Didn't help that the insurance turned down an appeal for Stage 2 costs around $16,000. I know I am committed to pay it if they won't, but it will bankrupt us as we are trying to start this business. It simply isn't there. I guess I should just wait to hear them tell me it is my cost ... there is yet another appeal. And I need a 2b ... one word for the night (make a limerick, Eva!) SH--!!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2012

Maggie.. what insurance do you have? And what needs to be done at 2b?

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2012

Has anyone with Medicare had surgery at NOLA?

I have the number to call to schedule my tattoos with Vinnie locally.  I will call tomorrow.

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

Oh Teresa... I wish we were doing it together...

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2012

Maggie,

Please contact the folks at this cancer legal resource center for guidance ..

http://www.cancerfed.com/legal.htm

Please do not give up hope!

Do not let them take away the joy of being made whole again..

I know it's easier said than done, but I will help you in any way I can,

Just PM me above,

With great concern and love,

Marcia

• tigsun
    edited March 2012

I wanted to have our group tats party too!  now I just want it done.  The final piece.

• tigsun
    edited March 2012

Now my mom just had a mammo she has been called back so to finish me in case she needs treatment

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2012

Celtic Antique - Please don't add guilt over "being selfish" to the load you're already carrying with your depression. You're not being selfish! There are always people we can point to who are in worse situations than we are, but that doesn't mean we don't have a right to feel bad about our own stuff. I hope you're getting some help with your depression, if it's gone on too long.

(These insurance companies are becoming more and more difficult! It makes me soooo mad!!!!) 

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

What Minn said!  

I just had a 4 day women's retreat through my church (I was part of the team this time!) and it was soooo very awesome!   We talked (among other things) about the importance of community, service and prayer.  This thread has been, powerfully, those three (among other things!) for me.  I'm a little too worn out to write more eloquently!  

I opened up my mail to see a grievance to my ins co has been filed on my behalf.  I assume it's from CRBS.  It may be time for me to get an eloquent letter written to them (BCBS).  I'm a little worried now, too, about ins approval of additional Stage 2 surgery.  Not a worry for today, though.

Spring, could you post Marcia's legal guidance resource link on your Useful Links?

Caitin, I had dose dense AC followed by DD taxol.  8 infusions total, every 2 weeks.  I did have a lot of side effects (mostly fatigue).  I beat myself up for a while, comparing my tired self to other women who apparently had little side effects and were not slowed down by their chemo.  Throw any comparisons out now to save yourself some grief!!  We are all different.  I was not presented with an option for my chemo.  I also was not given the #/9 scale of aggressiveness.  I do know that my DCIS was grade 3 aggressive and that my tumors were grade 2 aggressive.  So that, along with being 'so young' at 39, I was prescribed the harsh chemo.  It's doable and temporary. I have so much more compassion for people with chronic conditions.  

I am still quite fatigued.  I suspect most of that is from my recently diagnosed thyroid disfunction.  I get my 6 week blood test follow up this week to see if the meds are enough.  Based on my fatigue level: NO!  I'm quite antsy to feel like my normal self.  My 4 day retreat has left me with no voice and wiped out!  But so very worth it!!  

• celtic_antique
    edited March 2012

Thanks all for your support. So needed, so welcome. And, yes, I am getting help for my depression. Just carrying too much right now. Could use His help in taking some of the load!

BCBS is major medical; UnitedHealthcare is all others and they are the ones denying the claims. And I can't even think of 2b until I know if the insurance will cover it.

In 2b, need scar revision on the lower part of my donor site and "fluffing" up my contralateral breast as it is now WAY smaller than my hip flap one. Also need final nipple work and tats. Not that I am in any way ready to have that done yet. Our B&B opens (God willing) in mid-April and summer will be the busy season, we hope, so can't get to NOLA till the end of the year.

cider8 I so agree about this board. Even when I have given it over to God, the daily infusion of hope, common sense, support, laughter and voices of experience here make all the difference!

• Adey
    edited March 2012

Best of luck tomorrow Jamie!  Me next, woot!

Celtic-  That was an amazing story about your open heart surgery.  Hugs to you.

Reading this board has helped me so much, a big thank you to all.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2012
    Celtic has got a raw deal
    Her need for stage 2 is quite real
    The need for insurance
    Is testing endurance
    Let's hope for the best on appeal
  • Adey
    edited March 2012

Bam!  How do you do that EvaM?  (c:

I am at this moment tussling with insurance, blech.

• GointoCarolina
    GointoCarolina Member Posts: 95
    edited March 2012

Are you all saying that Blue Cross Blue Shield is denying your Stage 2 surgeries? I was going to switch to them as Dr.Kline and Craigie are considered in network providers and my HMO denied my request for out of network.I plan to appeal,but thought it might be easier to wait and just change insurance.Then a friend suggested if my HMO would approve it,to have Stage 1 done and then switch insurance.I can't believe we have to put up with this..........

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2012

Thanks Adey...Great Limerick Eva.   Just completed my pre op stuff for surgery tomorrow.  I will meet with Dr. Massey at 3:00 for some artistic drawing I think.  It's early rising in the morning to get started.  Thanks for the well wishes. Jamie

• Adey
    edited March 2012

Downey-  Take a photo of the art work!  You will do great tomorrow.  How's that warm weather feel?

• EvaM
    edited March 2012

I wanted my husband to take a pic of my artwork but he thought it was just too creepy. Best of luck to you tomorrow! Enjoy your free evening in the city!

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2012

Thanks,  the weather is beautiful.  Let's hope I'm photo worthy. HA!

• celtic_antique
    edited March 2012

Thanks, Eva, just the smile I needed!!

pandazankar -- No, BCBS (hospitalization) paid ALL the bills, in full -- all were pre-authorized by the hospital as out-of-plan, but paid in full. The UnitedHealthcare is for doctors fees, tests, everything but the hospitalization. Right now they are questioning the lipo, calling it cosmetic surgery even though some is used for symmetry. I am trying to put my trust in the experienced staff at the Center ... they've tussled with insurance companies for so many years that they know their apples! Once this is settled, then I will look at 2b!

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited March 2012

FYI - I got to chat with Tamara (Jane123) today - she's at the hotel now, stayed an extra 2 days as she was thrown quite a bit from all the pain meds, antibiotics, etc. but she said she's feeling much better now and she sounded great!  Her post-op is tomorrow and then she's heading home so despite the extra couple of days at SCSH and a little wonkiness up front she seems to be doing really well.  She did wind up having the stacked procedure and her surgery was around 10 hours but all went well and both Dr. D and her husband seem happy with the results so far.  And best of all - clean path report!  WooHoo!

I told her we're all looking forward to hearing from her soon but that she should take her time and rest up and only come back online when she feels up to it. 

• EvaM
    edited March 2012

Dana, thanks so much for letting us know about Tamara. I left her a message the other day but hadn't heard back. I'm glad to know she's doing all rightand stilll on sched. And especially about the clean path!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2012

Thinking of you Tamara!

Eva, that latest limerick was PERFECT! I agree with the BAM comment! :)

I posted the link to the Cancer Legal Resource Center above in userful links. Thanks for the idea, Paula.  

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

Maggie.. about insurance, Aetna did not pay for a bunch of lipo, any of it as I recall.. but I have not sen any letters to Aetna. Should I be worried??

• celtic_antique
    edited March 2012

I just got a copy of the denial letter documents sent to Dr. D. along with the amounts that they would not pay. I don't know how Aetna works. I am just stacking up the letters and documents and waiting for the other shoe to drop ... a call from Sigma telling me I owe $16,000! It all depends on what your policy says and how they coded the specific procedure. If the coding falls into the categories that they DID pay for (and some of that was lipo), then they pay. I got a copy of the detail of our insurance carrier's policy on cosmetic surgery and there is a specific provision for breast reconstruction, including symmetry procedures. I just have to trust in the Center folks. I am not sure I would borrow trouble, Betsy! If you haven't heard by now, chances are it is either still being worked on or it was paid for. You had your Stage 2 well before me. We have enough to worry about ... :-)

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

I hear you Maggie... but I can say that Aetna did not pay $13,000 to Dr D and $14,000 to the hospital, and the portion unpaid had to do with lipo and contouring... I would hope that the Center would debate at least some of the lipo since that is how they do fat grafting... but who knows... Maybe the lipo for the fat grafting was called something else that was covered... Dr D did tell me back in May that he will go above and beyond with the lipo and not charge for it, so maybe they bill the insurance company on the off chance they will pay, but eat it if they don't. And you are correct, I had my stage II in mid November.. but I know that these things can get dragged out for months... I do receive bills from the Center, with insurance information and a zero balance... as long as it says zero, I am good. And I did sign an agreement as to what my responsibility would be, so I don't expect to owe anything more...  I just worry about next time.

Aetna's coverage: http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/100_199/0185.html

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2012

Maggie, if it turns out that your responsibility really is $16K and it's not manageable for you, please remember that Breastoration may be able to help you. Besides that, our incredible doctors are not restoring women only to allow us to fall into bankruptcy, so please make sure that you are straightforward with the Center about your situation.  

We had the first South Bay/LA FORCE meeting yesterday and there was a woman who had contacted the Center but went elsewhere because she was under the impression that they don't accept insurance.  She said she was happy, but our Kathryn was the darling of Show and Tell.   In fact, a 2005 Dr. D patient and I agreed that we didn't need to participate because Kathryn's stunning result is the new "State of the Art" CRBS outcome.  With the advent of nipple-sparing mastectomy and incisions in the inframmary fold, it's hard to believe that Kathryn has had any surgery on her breasts.   I know the Center will be getting some phone calls from this new group of women we met yesterday.  Dr. D and Dr. S are truly the best in the world.