Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2012

I just booked my date in suburban Phillyto have my tattoo done by Vinnie.  At that facility it is not reimbursed by insurance.  At Nola is it.  I don't care.  I want to be done and it is cheaper than another trip to Nola for me.  I sent him an email via his website and he sent me the contact information for the hospital near me.  I am so excited to have the last piece of my puzzle done even though I am afraid of needles.  I will get thru it just like I have everything else.

For those who have had tattoos done in the past how does the process feel?  I had tattoos for radiation marking over a decade ago so my memory of ithas faded.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2012

Tigsun, this will hurt less than for radiation. Your breasts are likely pretty numb. The longer you are out from surgery, tho, the more you feel. I had some pain on a small area one year out.two years out, when I had a touch-up, there was more feeling.it all depends on how much sensation

u have there.if you have a lot, it isnt pleasant, I have to say...

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2012

I have a drain that's ready to come out! Do I do that myself? Go to my local doc? I'm a little nervous about it. I remember that the breast drains didn't hurt but they'd only been in a week. What did you do?

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2012

Pull it... just open the bulb first.. and of course cut the stitches.

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2012

I remember some postings in the past about Dr. Massey speaking in New York.  What is the date of that and how would I register.  Thanks

@Minnesota - I will focus on the it will hurt less.

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited March 2012

EvaM- I pulled my hip drain myself.  It was easy and painless.  (I had a couple of local docs lined up but I would have had to wait to see them and I felt it was just easier  to do it myself).  As Betsy said just cut the stitch and pull the stitch out.  Empty the drain and very important -make sure the suction is released.  Then just pull the drain out.  If you call the Center I am sure they will talk you through it if you decide to to it yourself and want some help.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited March 2012

Eva-  Pulling drains is a wonderful thing!

Jeska-  I get that too. But, you're right, still a great place and Marga's great too.

Happy Thursday all.  I heard an ice cream truck yesterday.......... in Chicago!

Kathy-  Someday (maybe this summer!).  Healing vibes to your hubby.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

I kinda like pulling my drains!  Just be prepared to pull out about a foot in length.  I like doing it in one swoop.  Though when I pulled my breast drain I had to pull twice (it was longer than I anticipated) and it didn't hurt at all.  Just weird!  Way easier pulling a drain yourself than lining up an office visit.

I had an ultrasound yesterday to see if my breast seroma is gone.  Nope.  I had 45cc aspirated, but I'm not going to bother again.  I'm so sick of office visits and feeling tired.    

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2012
    tigsun, go to Dr. Massey's website for the date and place of her NYC talk. www.drmarga.com It's a fabulous symposium!
  • bdavis
    edited March 2012

April 21

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

So here's a necrosis question... last night as I was getting ready for bed, I noticed an indentation below my left nipple... Keep in mind my left breast still has a fair amount of very firm tissue, like the outer third... I fear that this indentation is an area where fat has reabsorbed. It seemed to happen overnight though. I am a bit worried about that entire area failing and what they will do to fix it. So here's my question... anybody have any words of wisdom?? Anybody else (besides Brenda) who has been through a delayed failure?

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2012

ANALIVE, I think Dr. Massey does it regularly tp prevent a problem

I'm ready to get my catheter out and I really want a shower.  Took the pain pump away this morning, I know i"ll feel much better after shower.  Have had a couple of shots of Lasik to help me get rid of the fluid.  Great nurses.  P.S.  they have an icee machine. 

• Adey
    edited March 2012

I should practice on my iPad so I don't disappear for 2 or 3 weeks like last time!

Downey-  Enjoy the Icees!

(((bdavis)))

• CaitlinB
    CaitlinB Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2012

Is it me or does Dr. D bear a striking resemblance to Luke Skywalker?  LOL!

• Adey
    edited March 2012
    Someone have a crush?  Laughing
  • bdavis
    edited March 2012

Caitlin... he does now that you mention it... LOL

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

Caitlin!  LOL!  

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited March 2012

HAHA - that Luke Skywalker comment has me cracking up over here...

Damn, I wish I would have seen the Dr. Marga info earlier - I'm actually flying into NY on April 21st and will be there for a week as I'm opening a yoga studio/cafe in Brooklyn around May 1st. 

Would have loved to see Dr. Marga speak and see some of you!  Her site says 9am - any idea how long it is?   My flight gets in at 1:30pm, maybe I could meet up with you all after for a bit?  Oh and Rosemary I will PM you with my dates as I'll be right near you and want to see you!

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

Dana... It goes til 4pm...

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited March 2012

Thanks!  I could probably be there around 4 - who is going and is there any interest in meeting up for a late lunch/early dinner afterwards?

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2012

Caitlin - true, but a better looking Luke...funny thing is I had a picture in my mind of him sitting drinking a glass of ice tea, talking in his drawl.(like some old fashioned southern guy)..but then I found out that he listens to some really heavy metal while in surgery and it totally blew my theory!! Ha ha

• CaitlinB
    CaitlinB Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2012

Nope, no crush, but I saw the "real" Luke on the Today show this a.m. and I thought, OMG, he looks like Dr. D. 

Wow, heavy metal, huh?  That's surprising!  

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

I heard that about the heavy metal also.. Will need to ask him. .

Dana.. I am signed up to go, but recently realized that is my son's Prom night... no date yet, so we'll see.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2012

False alarm! Dang it. For some reason I thought I could pull my drains at 30 cc's. I called and it turns out it's 20! So I'm not that close. They are fluctuating like crazy too. I had two days in the low 20s and then this morning up 10. I want them OUT!

But I'll survive this. We went to the zoo today and took our 27 year old son. Walked nearly four miles! Nap time... 

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

its only been a month... I had mine for more than 2 months...Compress, compress, compress

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2012

Eva, you will be surprised how easy and painless removing that sucker will be. My husband helped the first time, but I was doing it myself after a while. ... as long as you can reach it! Snip, undo the bulb, and it just slides out. FEELS SOOOO GOOOOD!

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2012

Eva - Drains did not hurt at all coming out, a pleasant surprise. Loved the lymphedema massage but hated the smell of the lotion so I left it there! One mans treasure .....

Downey - so glad you are progressing, everyday is better.

Tigsun - yes, score one for the littel guys! 

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited March 2012

Eva -- Betsy has it right! Compress and monitor. Make sure you are keeping up with your intake of water and fluids ... I was right at the 8+ wk mark before mine were pulled. Like Nordy, I am 'juicy"!

Question: recently I am having a weird feeling in my reconstructed breast. It is still soft and bouncy and like that, but if I have to use the pec muscle underneath there is a really strange feeling ... I feel the muscle work and the boob just sorta sits there, uncomfortable. I know I will need revision surgery. Contralateral breast has REALLY shrunk as I have lost weight, but that follows my regular weight loss trend -- upper body first BUTT last and I have one BUTT boob and one natural one. Sigh ... How much of a miracle can Dr. D. do, heavy metal and all. He kept telling me that I was making it too easy for him. Perhaps I am about to become a pain in the ('cuse me!) a--! Anyone else had that weird feeling when using the pecs?

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2012

Celtic - not sure if the same thing , but b4 the surgery, when I lifted my arms over my head my boobs would rise (use to joke that I wanted a breast lift to keep them up) now when I lift my arms they stay put?  I'm hoping to have them adjusted??! not sure what can be done yet.. they almost seem flat on the bottom (picture putting them on a flat surface)  but I was told from Dr D that during stage 2 all things will be tweaked...so we shall see

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2012

HELLO,   GOT MY SHOWER YESTERDAY......QUITE A PRODUCTION.  I KNOW IT WILL GET EASIER.  LOTS OF GI ISSUES BUT I THINK THAT IS IMPROVING ALSO.  I EVEN TRIED THE WARM PRUNE JUICE....YUCK!  JUST HAD MY MASSAGE AND NOW ITS TIME FOR VITALS AND LUNCH.