Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2012

just a reminder, tho, that breastoration doesnt pay surgical fees, generally, but can help with other costs, tho individual grants are limited in amount.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited March 2012

Betsy -- yikes on the Aetna non-coverage, and I hadn't seen their policy page until now--didn't know it existed, so thanks for that. We just upgraded my husband's Aetna HSA network-only policy to another group Aetna policy that includes out-of-network with $5,000 out-of-pocket per calendar year for out-of-network per person. It will be effective Apr 1 and I hope to get bilateral DIEP at the Center in July. I gave them my initial history form and because they can't accept my current insurance, we're in holding now for the new plan to be effective. I'm hoping that the $5,000 out-of-pocket might be our only payment responsibility, but is that likely? Are there essential charges Aetna denies, besides the lipo/fat grafting question?

Did you say before that the Center handles Aetna as a sort of in-network? Would that be with Three Rivers Provider Network listed on the Center's Insurance page, and Aetna is listed? This is keeping me concerned whether it will all work out, and now I must get ready to pay my radiation bill and get Herceptin. Beautiful day in Florida, though. Cool

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2012

Hi everyone...haven't been on in awhile, but have been trying to keep up.

Spring - you can put me down for 7/13 for stage II with Dr. D could have done sooner, but trying to loose some weight and be in best shape

I finished my radiation right b4 xmas and I kind of feel like I'm in  some sort of limbo (not seeing drs each week) I did start taking Tamoxifen & so far so good ...I wanted to ask you girls what sort of screening should I be getting and when (mri every 6months? or just blood work??) I am so afraid of something coming back because I'm not on top of it...I try not to dwell in this place but hear so many horror stories...also I had a bone scan b4 my chemo which was clear, but should I have gotten a PET scan (i did ask my onc and he said that was enough) I would appriciate your opinions... 

thanks Dawn

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2012

Hi Dawn  aka my Stage 1 surgery buddy.

Glad you are doing well.  I see my onc in two weeks and have a lot of questions about follow up also.  So far it seems like there is no clear direction on what I screening I should do after all of my surgeries.  I am hoping he has some answers for me.  I have read of lots of different options on different boards but I am not clear on which one is the gold standard.

Betsy - I have my tattoo date with Vinnie for April 10th in PA.

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2012

Springtime - I know you are busy and probably didn't see the note in my post two pages back - but could you add me to the list for June 18th with Dr. M in NOLA?  Thanks....

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2012

Spring,

Could you please replace link to the Cancer Legal Resource Center with is link? It's a direct link..

http://www.disabilityrightslegalcenter.org/about/cancerlegalresource.cfm

TY!

Marcia

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2012

Downey, thinking about you and hoping all is well!

Dsnydawn - every onc is different in what they include with follow ups. I don't know any that recommend more than an annual mri of the reconstructed breasts, if they recommend it at all. My onc in Cali had me coming in every 3 months for the first couple of years... My onc here in the NW continued that until I hit the 5 year mark. Now I see him every six months. My onc in Cali performed blood work at every visit, my onc here does not do any routine blood work, but if he or I feel like something is up, he will order it and any other tests he thinks I need in a nanosecond. You will find lots of different views on followups. I beIieve that the one thing that is pretty consistent is seeing your onc every 3 months for the first two to three years, then every 6 months until the five year mark, then every year after that. Obviously if you are still on some kind of hormonal treatment, that will be different.

Annealive - every person's insurance is different and everyone has different personal circumstances and incomes. The Center works with you to try and make it affordable for you to have reconstructive surgery. The numbers that you work out with the Center will be different from others depending on your circumstances. Usually most of us have tried to be a bit private with what we pay. This enables the center to work with you as an individual, because your circumstances are never going to be exactly the same as everyone else's. I can tell you that I have paid much more than many women here... And much less than many women here. BUT, I have never been asked to pay a penny more than what we agreed upon prior to surgery. Just keep your lines of communication open with them - sometimes it takes some time to get it all worked out. Hang in there!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited March 2012

Wise words, Nordy. Am putting my faith in the Center.

• annalive
    edited March 2012

Nordy - thanks. It's good to keep hearing wonderful things about the Center. I'll have to be patient as the details get resolved.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2012

AnnAlive... I'd be happy to be more detailed on my situation with Aetna,  but Nordy is right... everyone is different... For me I think Aetna was very generous and it worked out well for me... and also the numbers that we agreed upon up front with the Center is all I have been asked to pay... I was just saying up above that Aetna clearly didn't like the works lipectomy.. but I am sure the Center will go after them for some of it.... And yes, Three Rivers... didn't even know I had that.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2012

I added two dates above, and Marcia, I updated that link.

Anniese, sorry I missed your request 2 pages back. Stage 1 or 2? I can add if you let me know.

All, If I miss your date, PM me (I always see those!)

About payments, when I went to the center, before checking into hospital, they told me what portion I was responsible for. Later, Cigna challenged things and I have no idea what happened between the Center and Cigna. However, we were not liable for any additional charges. At one point, the Center said Cigna had paid them and Cigna was still sending us things saying they weren't going to cover this or that. AND Cigna was in Network!

Insurance is ridiculous. We now have Blue Cross Blue Sheild Anthem, I have no idea what would happen with this one! Luckily I am DONE! It is a pain in the butt! You just have to perservere... 

• annalive
    edited March 2012

Thanks Betsy & Spring -- I'll see how the insurance evaluation goes and report back and/or inquire as needed. Insurance adds stress to an already stressful situation, but it beats being uninsured. Hopeful it will work out fine, I'd like to make a consultation trip in May. Is that a good idea or do you think it is unnecessary? DH would like to get the lay of the land for later surgery, and we'll probably drive 10+ hours.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited March 2012

FYI Downey is sounding good!

• ShannonR
    ShannonR Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2012

I spoke with the center yesterday about revision issues.  I am waiting to hear back about insurance/costs etc.  Certainly informative and professional people there at NOLA.  

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

AnnAlive... I had my consult in NOLA in May 2011 and then had my surgery in July... It was a great choice for me... I am a collector of information, and it was just what I needed.

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited March 2012

Those of you who have had tats with Vinnie in NOLA....did you schedule your appt through the Center or through Vinnie? Do you pay a charge to the center as well as to Vinnie? I called and talked to Katie at the Center about Vinnie's schedule. She said I needed to talk to Dr. Massey's office in Charleston since she did my surgery. I really didn't think it would have anything to do with her, since I wanted to do the tats in NOLA with Vinnie. Any thoughts?

Joni

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

I have cooresponded with Vinnie outside of the Center... I actually found him before I found Dr Dellacroce... And I plan to go to PA to have him do my artwork!! I would imagine if you go to the Center, you pay both... Aside from that, I think you just need to arrange Vinnie thru Dr Massey's office, even for NOLA... my guess.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2012

Hello everyone,  my surgery went well yesterday.  I am sitting up in  chair right now. Loved the lymphadema massage with Kris.  I'm pooped so I'll type tomorrow.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2012

Hello everyone,  my surgery went well yesterday.  I am sitting up in  chair right now. Loved the lymphadema massage with Kris.  I'm pooped so I'll type tomorrow.

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

yay!

• annalive
    edited March 2012

Betsy -- yes, that would be ideal, I think. May consult, July surgery. That way I can get evaluated for DIEP and prepare mentally. I think I do have enough ab fat, but now that I have finished rads, I was hoping to take off some treatment pounds.

Interested in Vinnie's work too, but that is probably a project for summer of 2013 for me! I anticipate hearing about your experiences, and he does have a great reputation.

Downey30 - somehow I missed the lymphedema massage. Is that typical? I had ALND but no lymphedema. Tomorrow I see the PT to pick up the compression sleeve to use if/when I fly. Is this massage typical at NOLA?

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2012

Jacee- I was wondering the same thing. I'm guessing it has to be ordered by Dr M in order to submit to insurance as part of your surgery. I would contact Ashley, she's probably arranged tats with Vinnie a few times already.

P.S. the center really is separatist when it comes to dealing with Dr M's patients. It prob has to do with her not being a full partner, keeping cost centers separate, etc. But still, I felt like an outsider when I was arranging surgery and when I was there. Felt a lot like an assembly line. The personable, attentive, compassionate care everyone raves about was just sort of so-so for me. Like I had a giant M on my forehead :) Doesn't matter to me, Dr M is amazing and that's all that counts.

Btw, before anyone protests: I'm sure everyone else has had genuinely outstanding experiences there, and I recommend the center any chance I get.
  • jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited March 2012

I know Vinnie is going to Charleston to do tats some, but he has a scheduled week every month in NOLA and for me, it's an 8 hr drive there, rather than a lengthy trip to Charleston. I will call Ashley soon.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2012

I think you can still go to NOLA, it just has to be arranged by Ashley.

• Fight-like-a-girl
    Fight-like-a-girl Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2012

Hi my brave friends! Downey you are in my prayers. Adey am sorry I will not get to meet you this trip hugs and prayers for a very successful surgery. Am sure you will be missing that rear waterbed! lol

I can't believe I am finally on my way! To all fighting insurance DO NOT let them win!

Trying to get a million things done before I leave. DH is having hernia surgery tomor row.

Thanks for all your support! Kathy

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2012

Glad to hear from you Downey!!

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

About Vinnie.. have you tried just asking HIM... he uses the Center as a facility, but he uses about 5 facilities around the country... and I plan to arrange it through him, or do whatever he tells me to do. I would assume you are booking with him, and he gets space at SCSH.. my guess. But I really have no idea and will be going to Philadelphia where he does some work too.

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

About screening post procedures, my MO just gives me blood tests... I finished chemo in May and had all my surgery in the summer.. saw him in October and then again this February... He was saying to come back in 6 months, but I asked for June... I still need a little hand holding. He is not planning on any MRIs, scans or anything... not sure how I feel about that.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2012

Great to hear from you Downey! Get lots of rest! 

I had the lymphatic massage too, even though I'm not at risk for lymphedema. It was a pleasant bit of pampering for me, but I'm sure it's a real benefit for many. She told me they recently started doing it for everyone. I still have the bottle of lotion and use it. 

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

I had the massage too everyday I was there but one I think.. I had had 2 nodes removed months before, no signs of lymphedema, but I got the consult and massage by Jen... felt great!!