Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited November 2009

Hi ladies!!

No arm lipo.  I had the fat on the sides of my breasts under my arms excised surgically...thus the incisions.  Sorry!  I WISH I could have some dang arm lipo!  If I move them too much (my arms) I might fly away with those wings of fat...LOL! 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited November 2009

Me oh My!  So much to think about! Wow....yes I'm in 'go for it' mode too.  Kathy(warrior) and Trishia.  I know a busy time but I Soooo hope we get to meet!  If for whatever reason we don't see one another before(Now Trishia we have shopping plans!)...Nonetheless, hope all works out!  Just like last time.....Party in my room ok?  everyone invited!

• WPLD
    WPLD Member Posts: 21
    edited November 2009

I'm wondering about my arm strength after stage 2.  Will I have trouble lifting my arms over my head and will they be weak like after stage 1?  I had nipple sparing so I won't be getting nipples but I know they are going to be doing some improvements to my breasts.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited November 2009

Hey, all, I'm back at home now and at my computer, one week post-op from Stage 2 SGAP with Marga in Charleston.

I can't address everyone's questions, because I still have a little brain fuzz going, and there have been too many pages to read!

No drains. If I'd had an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) I would have had drains.

I can fully use my arms, and could do so right away. In fact, from the bottom of the breasts upward, I've had no discomfort. It's all been lower, due to the lipo.

I had scar revision on my flaps and donor site. No pain. I had lipo on my love handles/muffin top (which extends to the upper butt/back area), tummy, hips, outer thighs, and inner thighs. I looked like I'd been in a war zone initially. Felt like it, too. The bruises hurt both deep against the muscles and superficially against the skin.

Post-op I statred taking Bromelain 500mg three times a day, a homeopathic tincture loaded with arnica, and used a cream with arnica. My bruises are almost gone now, except at a few of the most "abused" areas. I've never had bruises heal so quickly. But I still hurt/ache from them.

I was able to sleep on my side starting a few nights ago. The limiting factor early on was the tenderness on my sides. Last night, sleeping on my own pillow-top mattress was blissful. I was much less sore this morning.

I'm still tired and feel a bit of the post-op haze, so I'm glad not to be going back to work till next Monday.

I was given Darvocet post-op for pain. I take it every night, and most days in the mid-afternoon.

Don't get constipated!! Trying to strain to poop makes those lipo'd areas hurt!! (Bruises are big irritants to muscles.) I let things go too long, while waiting for prunes and fiber to work. By the time I broke out the big guns (dulcolax tabs) I was pretty miserable. Then had to suffer the consequences.

Get up-over the waist type Spanx if you're getting love handles done. You won't want anything touching your waist line. Pulling spanx off and on still gives me the shivers. Don't buy the cheap brand (flexees) that have seams. They will dig into your swollen areas and make you more miserable. I hope by next week I can wear waist-level spanx. Gonna be in them for at least 6 weeks!

The necrotic areas in the upper outer quandrants were a little more than Marga expected. She lipo'd some holes in them, transferred some fat in, and hopefully remodeling will take place over the next several months. If I need another Stage 2 for this area, there will be minimal lipo going on then.

I don't know how many pounds of fat marga sucked out. Haven't gotten on a scale yet. I think I'm still holding fluids from the surgery. But my waist-to-outer thigh profile is beautifully sculptured. What an artist!

I'm still on the fence about nipples. Even if I have Marga make them, I'd have a tattoo artist do my aereolas.

I'm sure there's something else I wanted to say to you all, but can't remember. Feel free to ask.

Anne

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2009

Anne, what a great update! Thank you! 

I love this: "I don't know how many pounds of fat were sucked out.... my waist to outer thigh profile is beautifully sculpted".

YAY!!! 

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited November 2009

Thank you Anne!  What a great update!

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited November 2009

ANNE -

OH I am LMAO on the "breaking out the BIG GUNS!"  Super update and YEAH on the results!  Way to go ANNE, so glad you are back to your pillowtop.........I feel that same about mine.  It is a SLICE OF HEAVEN to get into your own bed! 

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2009

Anne - great to hear you are back home!  Hope those tender areas get better real soon!  Was it difficult sitting in the plane with the lipo areas?  If you hadn't had the love handle area lipo'd would you still have wanted the up-over-the-waist spanx just for the lipo on your tummy?

• poolgirl
    poolgirl Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2009

Wow Anne ! Congrats on getting through your surgery so well!  Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• AnneW
    edited November 2009

anniese, if I had not had my muffin top lipo'd, I doubt I would need the high-waisted Spanx. But I had bruising and tenderness all the way up to my boobs, along the ribs and above my belly, and tenderness along my spine that turned out to be bruising from the lipo below.

Today I'm wearing regular Spanx, and it's okay, but I like the other ones better right now.

I'm still so wiped out, though! I made a trip down the hill to Safeway, and was nearly in tears by the time I got home. Not from pain--just bone-crunching tiredness. Anesthesia takes me about 2 weeks to recover. Why can't I remember that!!

Nap time.

Anne

• sunandsandgirl
    sunandsandgirl Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2009

Congratulations on finishing stage 2 , Anne.  I found it took me more than two weeks to get over the anesthesia especially after stage 2. It think it was the cumulative effect from 9 1/2 in Stage 1 and 4 1/2 stage 2.   The fatigue has been the hardest thing for me to recover from.

sunandsandgirl 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited November 2009

How many drains should I expect to have after stage 1 S-Gap or Lower Lumbar Gap ??  Do they give you that little bag to hold drains in ??  I am trying to come up with a better option now ahead of time :)

• Springtime
    edited November 2009

Jaimeh,

I would expect 4 drains if I was you, 2 breast, 2 butt. I used the little pouches that came with the OnQ pain ball thing for the drains after those were done.

They give you everything you need. I just don't like the cotton white drain pouch holder things. I preferred to use the onQ thing. It looks just like a fanny pack, not some medical thing. In case it shows out the bottom of your shirt!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited November 2009

Thanks Spring that is why I am asking I hate the little white pouch and the last time I only got one.  I like to wear the drains on the side plus the white thing was way too big so I had to make it fit :(  I was thinking that I had some leftover material that I would just make a couple myself so I have them ready to go.  I hate being unprepared.  I like the idea of using something that looks like a fanny pack. 

• AnneW
    edited November 2009

Jaime, my breast drains were pulled before I left the hospital, so I only had to contend with a drain in each upper buttock--for the next four weeks! I wore them looped through a soft shoelace around my waist, so I could shower with them and keep them out of the way.

Drains are probably the most annoying aspect of Stage 1!

Anne

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited November 2009

Anne-Congrats on Stage 2!! Thanks so much for answering my questions in the PM!  Dr. M is so generous and I think I will be hurtin for certain in the not so distance future, too!! I go Dec 11th. Did you just see her right before surgery? How much time did she take before surgery? I hope you continue to heal well! Just think, you will feel so much better for Christmas! Thanks again for your input! It means a lot to us that are standing "in line" lol

• AnneW
    edited November 2009

No problem, Warrior! I met with her for about half an hour the evening before surgery. Then she said she would study the photos and her markings that night. If we hadn't done it that way, she would have marked me pre-op. But I'm really glad we had time to chat the evening before.

I'd better feel better by Christmas! We're hoping to drive out to CA to visit friends and ride bikes. I'd like to get some training in before that, weather permitting!

Anne

• Trishia
    edited November 2009

I hope you bounce back quickly!  My sides were so painful too.  But I healed up quickly, and I am so thankful for that!  I'll bet you feel like a million bucks by Christmas!

UPCOMING STAGE 2'ERS!!!  Take your measurements and weigh before you go!  I weighed, but I forgot to take my measurements.  It's pretty cool, because it is really noticable and each week you can see better results as the swelling goes down.  

• melaniew1
    edited November 2009

TRISHIA - GREAT ADVICE!  Measurements and weight! YES!  I can not wait to have this DONE!!  22 DAYS! and Counting......  xxoo Mel

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2009

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.

I almost forgot its tomorrow!  Surprised

Pam

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited November 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!   Maybe I'm still suffering alittle from Chemo brain but could you tell me the offical name of the NOLA hospital where Dr. Massey does her DIEP and node transplants?  For the life of me I can't come up with the name!!  Thanks!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2009

katie jane, it's St. Charles Surgical Hospital.

www.scsh.com 

• Springtime
    edited November 2009
    Happy Thanksgiving to all you beautiful, gorgeous, voluptuous, amazing, delicious women!!!

TD
  • melaniew1
    edited November 2009

Happy Thanksgiving Girls.  I am thankful for so many things this year, one of which is all you beautiful ladies, and to Spring for bringing us all together in such a wonderfully helpful way!  You all are such a blessing to me.  Enjoy the day ladies and THANKS for everything.  xxoo Mel

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited November 2009

Happy T-giving!turkey

I second what Melanie typed!  thanks Spring.

And yes, thanks Ann W.

Hoping, praying I get to do my stage 2 as planned, on schedule.  Having some wound issues.  Got verbally slapped on the hand yesterday.  YES!  I was non compliant...but only a 'little' bit. And would depend on whom you talk to.....ugg.....

On call today 1pm to 1am...but it's really ok!  Thankful for MUCH! 

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited November 2009

Happy Thanksgiving to my Special Sisters!!!! I hope each of you stuff yourselves with lots of turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce...yum  My hubby is known for his infamous Day After Thanksgiving Pizza....Get Pizza Crust, use gravy as sauce and top with stuffing, turkey, veggies and mozzarella cheese. Heat til cheese melts and ENJOY!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2009

Happy Thanksgiving to all!  One thing I'm thankful for is our incredible NOLA docs and their dedication to excellence. 

• Trishia
    edited November 2009

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow fabulous BC sisters! Yes..so very thankful for our NOLA docs and that we have all been able to come together and support each other.

I started today with a 5K run with my sister and our kids.  My first one ever.  Tre finished 10 minutes ahead of me and came back to run the last part of the race with his mom.  He is such a good son.  Felt pretty damn good to have to wear a sports bra and to feel the girls bounce.  Tongue out

Enjoy yor day ladies! 

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2009

Happy Thanksgiving to all my BC sisters. We have much to be thankful for. I hope you are all able to celebrate this day with your family and friends.

Trish you go girl!

Jennifer I hope things work out for you.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited November 2009

Yep! Thankful for the positives that came with the negative of BC - like the incredible warrior ladies I've met along the way!