Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2012

Caitlin - yeah, 1st Chemo down!  I am praying that you get some good news.  You are due for some good news.  Amen, to the F Cancer!

Cfrustie - I hope your surgery went great today!  I will be checking in to the Hope Lodge on March 31st.  I would love to see you and would be happy to bring you anything that you might need.  I have a consultation appt.  w/ Dr. D and Dr. Stollier on April 2.

Chelle - Which pillow did you decide to go with?

Eva - loved the limerick - we can all use a little fun

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited March 2012

Hey Glostagirl!  Like Nordy, I've been thinking about you too!  Hope you are healing quickly so you can get on down to NOLA!!!  IF I get the ok, I doubt it will be when you are there :(. I just can't imagine it would happen that quickly!  Please keep us posted on your progress!!!  Katiejane

• Djweinstein
    Djweinstein Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2012

Hi all--

It's been a while since I've posted...I leave for Stage 2 on Sunday (hip flap revisions and breast revisions and fat grafting.)  My surgery is on Tuesday...yikes! I'm nervous because I've had a bad cold for over 2 weeks and a bad cough with it.  My doc here sent me to a pulminologist who gave me an inhaler and some meds...he thought I should be ok for surgery as my chest xray was clear.  So I'm praying I'm fine for surgery...AND that this cough goes away--I remember from Stage 1 recovery that the last thing you want to do is cough or sneeze!  

Also-- I know that Stage 2 is to make you look better and be more comfortable (i.e., so I can sit/lie down for longer without my butt/hips hurting!), as they had their hands full with me in Stage 1 (mastectomy plus hip flaps) and therefore didn't do any "cosmetic" stuff--but I don't know what to expect from Stage 2 in terms of results.  I'm so hoping I'll look great (boobs and body from the lipo)...but I really don't know what to expect!  I've heard so many great things on this board--I guess I just took it all for granted that I'd look amazing...and now I'm nervous about what will actually occur.

• Djweinstein
    edited March 2012

And Caitlin--I'm thinking about you!!!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2012

I heard from Cheryl last night... She is in pain and has a fever... but as we all know everyday is a better day, so hopefully today she will report less pain.

DJ... I also had MX and Hip flaps at stage I (and then a DIEP flap a month later) and my stage II resulted in some great results. I am not done, but certainly on my way. Dr D lipo'd my out thighs and WOW... he did a great job.. and he lipo'd my love handles.. again WOW. Do be patient though as you won't see immediate results.

• CaitlinB
    CaitlinB Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2012

Hi Ladies,

YOU ALL ROCK!!!  Thank you for all of the love and support.  It will be okay.  This chemo is going to kick it to the curb.  AND, every time I feel bad from the SE, I will just say, "Bring it!"  I know it's also killing the bad stuff.  

DJ, I was just thinking about you, girl!  I hope you feel better.  I hated that breathing contraption they give you after surgery and I am sure if you are coughing it would make it ten times worse.

I am praying for you all.  Prayer has been helping me so much during this journey...sometimes I think God isn't listening.  Seriously, I know He has my back.  

(((Jillions of Hugs))))

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited March 2012

@ KSue, I ordered the total snoogle total body pillow off Amazon.com.  I just ordered it yesterday, but I plan to use it a little and figure out how to position it so I am not trying to deal with it for the first time right after surgery.  I also ordered a pair of volatile flip flops that a friend recommended to me. They are all she wears now as they are as comfortable as tennis shoes. They are more than I would ever spend on a pair of flip flops (got them on sale thought YAY!!), but I wanted something comfortable to easily slide on and off, but didn't have a slippery sole (I am not the most graceful person) and I don't want to slip or trip with flimsy shoes...lol.  It's going to be hot and flips flops & sandals are all I wear in the summer Wink So I am looking forward to getting these!! I am still lookin for button up and zip up short sleeve or sleeveless shirts and I am having the hardest time finding anything.  If it were winter...no problem (UGH)
    I plan to look for some silk pajamas in the next few weeks.

My leave of absense starts in 8 weeks, so I am trying to get things in order here at work as well as at home...Let the nesting begin.

@ Caitlin, Glostagirl, Cheryl & Kathy I am praying and thinking about all of you!!!

DJ, you will do great!! I am like you and hoping my stage 2 results will be awesome and I plan to go shopping for some new summer clothes (obviously next summer for me), but it's giving positive things to look forward to!!

You ladies are amazing and so brave and I hope that once I am on the other side, I will be able to really help others get through this journey too. But, until then I still try to help those who are behind me and aren't at the point I am (which isn't far), but I know how scared and overwhelmed I was at the beginning of all this.

HUGS to you all!!!

Chelle

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2012

Hey Nordy & Katiejane,  I'm doing well.  I can now move my leg with out assistance from a device and am moving about on crutches.  3 more weeks until I can put weight on it, but feeling stronger!

The pain has made me question if I want to put myself through another recon surgery, but my resolve has not waivered.  It's still on as far as I'm concerned.  

Also, I have no doubt I'll be skiing next season.  Not as fast perhaps, but just being out in the mountains is good enough for me.   

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2012

Ha! I think you will be cruising right along. Although, maybe it would be good to slow down just a little, but so hard to do!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited March 2012

Spoke with Kathy/FLAG.  She is doing well.

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

And Cheryl is also doing better... has a little sternum pain, but better than yesterday!!

• Fight-like-a-girl
    Fight-like-a-girl Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2012

Hello girls! I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers! Thank you so much. I had double Diep on Fri and got out of the hospital on Monday. I couldn't focus or even type. I see Dr M tomorrow and hopefully get breast drains removed. Yeah! I love my new boobs do not miss silicone implants at all. I am almost pain free after 15 months - feels great! Love my new squishy boobs. Hugs to you all. Kathy

• Nordy
    edited March 2012

Kathy! Hurray for you and squishy boobs!

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2012

I have a question about the "shark bite" area.  I've seen people talk about a butt lift or fat transfer.  Is it the same thing or are there two different procedures?  Thanks

Kathy,   Feels good to get the implants out! Feel better each day.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2012

Downey, I was told lift and lipo. I certainly don't want anyone ADDING fat to my ass!

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2012

Hi all. I am home!! I was feel pretty tight which I assume will stick with me for a while. I also feel very bloated or full. I dont know how else to explain it. I tried on some pants this morning that fit before surgery. And now doesn't even come close. I am sooo sad! I know dr. M will fix me up good for my "real" stage II but i hate feeling this way especially with swimsuit season coming up.

CAitlin!! I am sending you lots of prayers and hugs! You WILL beat this!

Kathy, glad to meet you and glad that you love your tatas!! Yeah!

• Adey
    edited March 2012

(((CaitlinB)))

My drains are lower than they ever were after stage one, yay.  I had lipo and lift for my bites.  Need to plan for stage 2b and figure out if I want nipples or just 3d tats......

Peace and healing vibes to all.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2012

I'm trying to remember, Adey, did you get the tummy tuck? How is it? I'm still trying to decide. Also, will you be sleeping on your back again for any length of time? I'm following you closely! 

Need2New - what hotel are you staying in after your surgery? I'll be at Homewood Suites. 

• Adey
    edited March 2012

I ended up not having a tummy tuck due to bleeding issues.  So I need to think about that for stage 2b.  I'm also still trying to decide!  I'm on my back again because of the drains coming out each side.  I'm getting used to it.  (c: 

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2012

I just don't quite get it.....how do they lift the butt?

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2012

What is a Stage 2b? Is it just the stuff that couldn't be fixed or didn't get fixed at Stage 2? If you have more than one Stage 2 , then are nipples still Stage 3?

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

Stage II b is just extra revisions... Nipples can be done at stage II or IIA or II B etc...

A butt lift means they go back into the same incisions and pull the lower butt fat up to the upper butt to fill in the void.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2012

Glad to hear Kathy and Cheryl are on the mend! 

DJ, good luck! soon you will be on the other side!!! Stage 2 will be easier, you'll see! 

• Djweinstein
    edited March 2012

Hi ladies--

Question about the lipo for stage 2. I don't know exactly where Dr D will take it from (i certainly have a couple places in mind)...but I'm wondering if anyone who previously had lymph nodesremoved (i had a lumpectomy ten yrs ago) has had lipo on that arm (i dont even know if that is a candidate site for me as my arms are in pretty good shape)-- but I'm wondering if that creates a lymphodema risk.

Obviously I will ask Dr D but just wondering if anyone knows!

Thx!

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

DJ.. I have fat elbows IMO and thought how great it would be to get my elbows lipo'd, but the nurses didn't think it was a good idea... then after stage II I read about a woman who did have arm lipo, and wore a compression garment that went over her arms. At my next consult, I will definitely ask.

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited March 2012

After hearing good news earlier this week regarding my breast biopsy results I had my first CA-125 testing today. Was surprised to get a call that my count was 54, 35 is the top of the norm so they wanted to call me to let me know it was about the normal range. I've been told this test isn't that reliable. They think it could because I was mid-cycle and had a breast biopsy last week which can alleviate the count due to inflammation. My dr wasn't too concerned. I have already scheduled an ultrasound but it isn't until April 11th. Has anyone had a high CA 125 test? Is it true that isn't that reliable? I am planning to have ovaries removed asap, but was told by my dr that she is more comfortable doing so when I'm 35 (I'm 32).

No insurance updates. We have a PPO plan at work as well but I've been told they won't let me on it even though if I did I could go to NOLA. I keep asking for an exception. I will continue to push on. Just hoping for some good news. 

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited March 2012

Just a quick update----my second appeal for a one time exception for Dr Sullivan and The Center have once again been denied.  Cigna and the HCA Corporation will not allow me to go anywhere but an HCA facility-period. So, I guess I may be SOL!  katiejane

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

Kerry... Depending on the lab, some CA125 tests are on a scale where a 20 is positive... On that scale, I had a 19. I had this test last January, just after learning I had cancer, but before chemo. I then had an ultrasound... My US was all clear and my gyn seemed like, oh sure might as well have the ovaries out.. But at the time, I decided to wait for all my cancer treatments... then I was going to have them out during stage II and again decided to wait. There are a lot of SE potentially and in the end my gyn agreed to wait. So first off... the CA125 is not reliable and my GP says he thinks no one should use that test. And to have ovaries out just because of an elevated CA125 test was not a good idea. So... I am 49 and waiting for now.

Katiejane... so sorry.

• Nordy
    edited March 2012

KatieJane - my heart is aching for you! This is all SO wrong. I am at a loss for words... bet you thought it was not possible. I think you should contact get Gephart.... A billon hugs (((((()))))).

Kerry, yes it is my understanding too that there can be a lot of false positives with the ca-125 and also alot of things that can affect it as well. Hang in there - waiting for follow up tests can be very hard! Just sending you positive vibes and hugs.

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2012

Katiejane - so sorry, can you reatain a lawyer or not? This is so unfair and not right. Do not give up.

Kerry - The CA-125 is not meant to be used as a stand alone test but to correlate other clinical findings.  I agree with others, wouldn't jump in unless there was more evidence.

Eva - We are stayng at the Hampton Inn in the Garden District after. I did  not care for the location of the Homewood Suites! The hotel itself was fine but I like a quieter locale. Pre-op I am at the Clarion which is 3 blocks from the center. I think it is just fine, clean, quiet and I can walk. We still need to try to get together. You can still come find me in the hospital.

I an still having to wear my girdle as I keep getting a seroma in the hip that the drain fell out of. Have had it drained twice now and am just hating the girdle. It is painful and makes it hard to do anything. I have actually gained a few pounds since surgery since it hurts to walk far, can't get on my bike. BUt need to wear the girdle or I feel like I am coming apart. Any ideas from the peanut gallery :)