Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited March 2012

Nordy, Thanks for the info about the response time for photos! 

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2012

Anyone knock anything over with your numb knockers yet? I just know I'm an accident waiting to happen because I'm getting to the point where I forget about them sometimes and yet they're still bigger and perkier than before. 

With breasts that are new and quite numb
    Best remember a smart rule of thumb
    Don't rely on your memory
    For distances mammary
    Or you might end up feeling quite dumb 

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2012

Eva, always so good to see you post.  I get a big chuckle from your limerick's.  I'm not sure mine are big enough to knock anything over LOL!  Are you feeling good?

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2012

Diep is definitely a different recovery than gap! I did stand up straight today but it was tight. My mid section looks very thick now. I know things will change but it is kind of sad as I liked my belly before. But, I also want a boob so it is okay!

Haven't heard from Kathy yet but if I do I will post. She is such a sweet lady!

Happy Saturday!

Michelle

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2012

Yes, DEIP is a harder recovery than GAP, at least it was for me and I also had both (at the same time, ack!)  Hang in there Michelle!

I assume Kathy is FLAG? Send our best wishes! 

Eve, I never had that issue with my new boobs, but the limerick was quite good! :) 

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2012

Yes Eva I have that problem. Bonked my daughter and hardly felt it but it hurt my chest wall :) I got measured today because I have got to find a comfortable bra and she said I had double DD's.

What ????????? Dr. Sullivan rocks!!

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2012

I'm definitely bigger than I was before, but Dr. D said it's easier to go big and then reduce at stage 2 than the other way around. I do bump into things. I bumped my guitar player's arm this afternoon trying to get past him and he was all afraid he'd hurt me. How would I even know? 

I do want to go down a bit. My arms keep pushing against them. I don't remember have much in the way of side boob before. I guess my old ones were a lot squishier. These fight back. I don't know what size they are. I'm just wearing "medium" stretchy bras or NO bra - which is kinda interesting. 

I feel so much better with the drains out. Now I'm just waiting through that extra week with compression and for the drain holes to be healed enough for a nice tub soak. I went to a music jam today and was on my feet, playing for a good five hours. It's almost my birthday too, so my music buddies came up with the birthday trifecta: flowers, chocolate and wine. They rock.  

For those of you who are new here and/or waiting for your stage 1, there is light at the end of the tunnel! It's hard to see it. I know I couldn't focus on anything but worry about the surgery those last couple of weeks. But it does get better. 

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited March 2012

Eva - I had that side boob right after stage I too. At my post op, I told Dr. S he was going to have to reduce me at stage 2. By the time my stage 2 rolled around, only 11 weeks later, my side boob was gone and the size was perfect! Your less then 2 months out. You still have swelling. They'll get squishy like before. Well maybe, not just like before but in the case of my boobs that's a good thing!

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2012

Yes - the side boob reduces. Mine drove me batty but they have gone down now. I bet by my stage 2 in May they will be fine. I still sleep though with nothing on as by the end of the day I need nothing touching them. My sensation is coming back slowly too.

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2012

Standing up straight today! Great feeling. Only patient here today very quiet. Luckily my favorite nurses are here keeping me and my mom company!

• Springtime
    edited March 2012

Michelle, standing up straight already! You go girl! 

Tamara, Jane123, I updated your surgery in the listing above (per your PM).

My boobs are smaller now than they were prior, and I quite like it. They are less saggy and don't get in the way. If I wear a padded bra, they have plenty of pop. If I wear underarmour or a light stretchy bra, they look more athletic. I love this size. I'd say it's a C, but not a "big" C. :) 

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited March 2012

Question for the group-

I met with a gynocologist/oncologist Friday.  I am BRCA 2- 32 yrs old.  I had tubal ligation at age 26.  Anyone around my age had their ovaries removed? I've been told some doctors will want to take them others won't do to other risk factors.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2012

Denoument (Dana) is young and had her ovaries taken.. maybe PM her?? I think the risks of an offrectomy is bone issues first and foremost and early menapause and all that comes with that... BUT ovarian cancer is potentially very serious, more serious than dry skin and weak bones.. I am sure its a balance... and a personal decision. I am BRCA negative and thought about taking out my ovaries to reduce estrogen production (aged 49) and decided against it for now.

• KerryA
    edited March 2012

Thank you BDavis. I got to talk with Dana last week she was awesome and introduced me to this forum. It feels so good to be able to have this group to talk and for support.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited March 2012

Hi Kerry A

I was 33 when I had a complete hysterectomy. I am BRCA2+

I had this done before I found out my BRCA status, but as soon I did they asked if I still had them and wanted to take them if I did.

I do take HRT (Enjuvia) and it is taking care of all my menopausal symtoms, but I need to find a good gynecologist/oncologist that has BRCA knowledge.

• KerryA
    edited March 2012

Thank chellehump. Very helpful.

I am in the camp to do everything I can to reduce my overall risk. I was just curious what drs were advising around woman my age with BRCA 2.

• CaitlinB
    CaitlinB Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2012

Hey Ladies,

Michelle, happy to hear that you are doing much better-sitting up is a big step!  

Welcome, Kerry!  I am also a cheesehead. :-)

I also recommend commando, lol.  After DIEP, your incision is quite low and it's not good to have your undies rub on it.  I found it was taking off skin-eww.  

My port gets installed today.  :-)  Looking forward to getting the drugs that make you forget and completely out of it. 

Will report back later.  

Where is Miss Adey???? Haven't heard from her in awhile.  :-(

Take care all!

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

Good luck with your port today Caitlin... I was awake and talking to the doctor the whole time (for removal too).. I thought I'd be in la la land, but was not.

• chellehump
    edited March 2012

You are very welcome Kerry!!

Good luck today Caitlin!! I am thinking & praying for you everyday!!

**Happy Birthday Eva** Smile

• chellehump
    edited March 2012

Anyone heard from Kathy? Hoping everything went well on Friday!!

• ShannonR
    ShannonR Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2012

I just got home from my consult w/ Dr. D - I see why you ladies loves this place.  Truly unbelievable, I have never been to a doctors office I was so comfortable w/.  I have to decide whether to do revision w/ alloderm and implants or a tissue transfer from hips (is that a GAP procedure).  

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

Yes basically GAP is hip flap...

• Springtime
    edited March 2012

Cfrustie  are you there??

Shannon  - Do you have implants now, and do you like them okay? I had immediate implants with alloderm at the center to get me through rads before doing a stacked DIEP Gap procedure. So I've had both, if that's any help.

• ShannonR
    edited March 2012

Spring, I had BMX w/ TE and exchanged to implants.  They have dropped or bottomed out and feel like they are tugging at my chest.  I also have large indentions in the upper pole.  So, I can try the Alloderm fix or go straight to Gap procedure.  The implants are not uncomfortable just the lack of support for them, I think.

• ShannonR
    edited March 2012

Spring, I had BMX w/ TE and exchanged to implants.  They have dropped or bottomed out and feel like they are tugging at my chest.  I also have large indentions in the upper pole.  So, I can try the Alloderm fix or go straight to Gap procedure.  The implants are not uncomfortable just the lack of support for them, I think.

• ShannonR
    edited March 2012

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2012

Kerry, oopherectomy is what was recommended for me at 35, if I was done having kids. It took me a couple years of research since the side effects scared me and I have risk factors already for many of them, like heart disease and osteoporosis, etc. I finally got comfortable with facing those risks and using an estrogen patch to help reduce those risks and menopause symptoms. I am three months out but feel great and do not regret doing it. I was reassured that I can come to the women's health clinic as many times as necessary to treat each symptom as it comes and I haven't had to yet. I did the surgery during stage 2 breast recon, in NOLA, like Dana.

• bdavis
    edited March 2012
    I heard from Cheryl Cfrustie.....She is going in... I will report back when she is on the other side!!! She is loving Dr D already and knows she has made the right choice to travel to NOLA.
  • Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2012

Hi everyone,  I was hoping for some input about doing a baby flap.  I am three weeks post surgery today and getting better and better.  The gap flap sizes were the same but it seems I have a bony defect on the right side which makes it quite a bit smaller.  Dr. M says she would bet that I will want to match the larger one but that would mean I would need a baby flap from my abdomen.  I know making that side smaller would be easier but.........any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited March 2012

Caitlin!  (c:  Good luck with the port.  I did appreciate mine very much.  I was out for insertion and removal.  Big hugs to you and hubby.

Kathy-  You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Michelle-  Yay for standing up straight! 

Warm and grateful thoughts to all.  My drains are not so juicy this time.  I am hoping to have them out for Easter.