Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited May 2012

Springtime- Thank you for adding me to the list. 

Ch968- 2b is just a second revision.  I had a unilateral GAP at the Center and a DIEP that was done locally.  There were many problems with the DIEP reconstruction. (I wish I had known about the Center when I was first diagnosed.)  I was hoping this 2nd revision would get rid of some of the problems still left from the DIEP .  I am not sure how many women go on for an additional revision but I am guessing that it is not a very big percentage.  My plan is that this is it for me - no more revisions, no more reconstruction.  I want to be done. 

• GointoCarolina
    GointoCarolina Member Posts: 95
    edited May 2012

KerryA,you might want to call your state's Attorney General.I am working with mine,just started so I don't have much to report.But it makes me feel better to have someone who knows the ins and outs of insurance helping me.And he is confident that the insurance company will approve the out of network for me.There is no one in network who does bi SGAP.It is all taking so long though,that I might just wait until we change insurance.I am trying to decide which company to go with and read today that the one makes you pay 30% of any drugs or supplies you use while you are an in patient? I am hoping I misread it,as it seems the best otherwise,going to call Monday and ask about it.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited May 2012

Goodness! Dana and Nordy I love you girls to pieces !!! Id fly out to be "your Person/NurseCool" in a heartbeat !! Let me know...SERIOUSLY!

Marcia

• ch968
    ch968 Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2012

Thanks Nordy.

Maybe I misunderstood the nurse at the Center. She may have said what you said about Dr. S. taking up his own flaps and the assistant stepping in to take over sewing up the donor site? I am hearing so many positive stories about NOLA from everyone here and on other sites. I am so thankful I found you all. I am learning so much that I can't wait to go and get this thing done.

Kerry- so sorry to hear that about the insurance problem. I am not sure how the Review process works, but good luck.

Maybe others who went through this type of review can give you some helpful tips to prepare for it.

• ch968
    ch968 Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2012

Thanks Nordy.

Maybe I misunderstood the nurse at the Center. She may have said what you said about Dr. S. taking up his own flaps and the assistant stepping in to take over sewing up the donor site? I am hearing so many positive stories about NOLA from everyone here and on other sites. I am so thankful I found you all. I am learning so much that I can't wait to go and get this thing done.

Kerry- so sorry to hear that about the insurance problem. I am not sure how the Review process works, but good luck.

Maybe others who went through this type of review can give you some helpful tips to prepare for it.

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited May 2012

Well I had all my post op tests done and I think I'll start packing!  I am flying in on Sunday and staying at Hope Lodge for 2 nights then surgery Tuesday - 2 nights - then I am staying a Monteleone for a few nights then the Clarion Boutique for 3 nights.  Finally everything is final!  I'll get a little bit of everything this trip since alot of the hotels were booked this week I couldn't get one room the whole week.  But I like adventure and I'll get a taste of a few places!  Thanks for everyones input , it really helped.

Happy Mothers Day to all the moms!  I know I'll be busy for the next few days so much to do so I'll wish it to everyone now in case I don't get on here on Sunday.

Eva - I hope your doing well!!  See you Monday!

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2012

Just had stage II a Jew hours and Dr. D did ialone. They told me he always does his stage II's solo.

I avent talked to anyone yet post op but I saw on facbook that it went well. I feel fine but that may be the narcotics talking. Will know more tomorrow

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

Auto correct. Gah!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2012

Nordy.. when is your surgery?? Maybe I can help you since I can't help Dana... I am out of town til the 21st (my one year surgery anniversary).

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2012

Ch968 - sorry, got side tracked and have to run right now too! But here is the link to Dr. D's question & answer site. Ou can post your question regarding length of surgical time on there.

http://members.boardhost.com/plastic/

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited May 2012

Eva - Glad your Stage 2 went well. What do you mean by seeing on Facebook that it went well? I vaguely recall that there is a FB group -- for this thread? How do I get there, anyone? I get the Center's posts, but that's not what you mean, is it?

Betsy - Beignet at Cafe du Monde is on my list for next week. Laughing Also Court of Two Sisters.

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

There are several groups including one for the breat center. But that's not how I know. I have a protea FB group so my husband can let family and close friends know how things are going without plastering it openly. It also saves on him having to make a jazzilion phone calls.

But wait! There's more!

I love seeing all wonderful supporting messages and limericks they post there.

I can point to the open grous later

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

Ann, I made a private group on FB for family and close friends. My husband posts the updates there. Saves a ton of phone calls plus there are friends in tha group who the blow by blows and not get a call.

Here's one from the night before my surgery

I'm not sure I know what to think

The doc's marked me up with blue ink

I look the part

Of a piece of bad art

Or perhaps it's a new kind of kink

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited May 2012

Eva, glad you are through the surgery.  Thanks for keeping us entertained.  

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Ann.. There is also a FB group for us flap girls... friend me and I'll add you Betsy Schreier Davis.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited May 2012

Betsy - Great! You'll recognize my avatar, if not my name.

Eva - yes, you do keep us entertained with limericks. Smile

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited May 2012

EvaM, I'm fairly new to all of this but i just wanted to send you good thoughts on your stage 2 recovery! And everyone else who's celebrating anniversaries - wow! So encouraging to hear!

phew...deep breath.... My surgery has been scheduled for May 30th! Yikes!!

As I stated earlier, Dr. D is recommending the body lift for me, based on my photos. (thank you, Spring, for detailing your very positive experience with this procedure!) I'm still weighing the procedure, as I know he can give me 'B' cups (instead of my current C size) from just my belly or hips, if I so choose. I'm looking forward to being with him face-to-face once I'm down there to decide on what's best.

Nordy, I am sweating about the impact of all of this on my 3 year old and would love to take you up on talking about how you handled your kids during that time. I'm thinking of bringing her down for three days at the end of the 10 day stay. Has anyone done this? Am I crazy? (my mom and husband will be there too.)

Lastly... One thing i'm curious about is your feelings about all of the loss of sensitivity. For those of you who are a year or so out from a BMX with flap(s), what's your current state of sensitivity? Have you gained anything back? (I am a little hesitant about the body lift when I think about not having any feeling in my belly, breasts and backside. Maybe I'd sacrifice having my good 'old C cups, if B's meant just one harvest site instead of two? Sigh.)

I'm SO appreciative of this thread and the experiences shared. Thank you for helping me through all of this!!

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

Thanks! Esmeralda, I have ended up with a body lift between stage I and stager ii. I just had it yesterday so it's too soon for any kind of judgement. But I'm not in any kind of severe pain. I've been to my feet twice so far but too wobbly from the meds to walk.

Narcotic pain killers are sweet

that PCA pump can't be beat

Morphine is the best

For getting some rest

But it won't let me stand on my feet

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited May 2012

Eva- What did you decide about your stomach?  Did you write that limerick on morphine?  Sweet!  (c:

To all that are fighting with insurance, the very best of luck to you.  I didn't have the stamina to fight.  We shouldn't have to.  Go get 'em!

Sandy-  I wore my Marga's Mermaid shirt today and thought of you.

Happy mom's day to all the moms.

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Esmerelda.. I have almost all the feeling in my belly and buttocks, just some small areas here and there that don't have 100%... breasts are pretty numb... no real sensation there... although it is only under what would be a tiny bra.

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

Adey, I did the whole nine yards. I haven't seen any of it yet. I'm staying at the hospital a second night. I've stood up three times and managed an assisted shuffle to a chair, but the floor in this place has serious case of the wobblies. The limerick happened after my standup this morning.

I now know what you all mean when you say you can't stand up straight! I'm so scared of ripping in half. The nurses are telling me I'm doing great but I bet they say that to all the girls.

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Eva.. what do you mean whole 9 yards? Plication too?

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

No plication that I know of. Dr. Trahan came by early this morning and did a quick fly by on the boobs then told I looked good and left. So I don't have that much post op info

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited May 2012

Esmeralda, In terms of feeling -- I had a unilateral GAP about 8 months ago at the Center and a DIEP done locally  about 4 1/2 years ago.  I have normal feeling in about 50-60% of my reconstructed breasts.  As bdavis, I have feeling in most of  butt with a very small area very near the scar line that is numb.  (It is early and that may still improve).   My stomach has a larger area of reduced sensation and a small area below my belly button that is numb but- that surgery was not done at the Center and was very problematic.   I think it can take up to about 18 months for  nerves to regenerate.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited May 2012

Things were hopping in NOLA a year ago today. Thinking of my surgery sisters tonight...those I just met shuffling the halls; those that have become forever friends. I don't post much but I read every single day. This thread has been a source of enduring support for me, from the time I first stumbled upon it ( changing EVERYTHING...), headed to NOLA, plus the next 365 days!! I actually think I have not missed a single day without my NOLA IN SEPTEMBER fix :):):)

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

Esmeralda, I just noticed your surgery date. There four lovely women from the FORCE group going there at the same time. You should connect with them. Heres a link. Look for the May surgeries topic. http://www.facingourrisk.org/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=3

I wish I could have gone the same time as them, but it didn't work out.

Eva

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

DIEP and tummy tuck lsdies, how long did it take you to stand up straight? All the other stage II girls have checked out and I feel like wimp to be the straggler. I did tell Dr. D that I didn't want to be too tight. I'll give it some time before I start worrying. I've got FIVE drains!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2012

Eva! Hang in there! I did not have tummy tuck, but I have had 2 c- sections. It just takes a little while, but things will stretch!

Betsy, that is very sweet for you to offer, but if my hubby does not go, I had already asked Marcia. But I appreciate it!

Well, I am going to be very short this morning. I rode 100 miles yesterday and I am on my flexitouch in an effort to get itt back down! After wrapping it is nearly there, just need a few more mm! But I would do it all again! 100 miles and 4800' of climbing! Yeeee haaawww!

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Eva.. I went home from stage II with 5 drains... it will pass... and the standing up straight thing... I think I was almost there at a week, but it was probably a month before I was truely upright.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited May 2012

Hi everyone- thanks for answering my questions! This is all happenig so fast. And here's a few more, of course!

- any tips on navigating the airplane ride home, post-surgery?

- how about walking up or down stairs post-surgery? (our bedroom is upstairs, but the bathroom is down stairs! Maybe I should be prepared to sleep downstairs for the first week or so?)

- what will I absolutely need assistance with? (showering, making meals, washing hair? Etc.?)

I bet this stuff has been answered before, so feel free to tell me where else i should look for answers. Thank you!