Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited May 2012

Thanks, everyone. As of this hour.... I think I'm leaning towards nipple-sparing. I think...

Betsy, you asked great questions re: body lift vs. DIEP. I'm going to talk to him in the morning before surgery just so I understand more about the rationale of his decision.

Thanks, ladies!!! Much love and gratitude to you all!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2012

Jen... sleep well... you are in great hands... and remember, there is no wrong decision. Dr D takes pride in his work and will do what will give the best outcome.

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited May 2012

Thanks for adding me, Spring, and I appreciate yours prays for an uneventful surgery!!! I am really nervous and I have over 2 months to wait and try not to totally freak out!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited May 2012

Esmerelda-  prayers and healing vibes

Chellehump-  Safe travels

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited May 2012

Praying for you all!  Peace, Tamara

• Jane123
    edited May 2012

A stage 2 question re breast lift:

I understand a breast lift involves, in part, making an incision around the aerola/nipple and then placing this higher up on the breast.  My nipples react to cold and touch even though I do not feel anything Smile.   Will I have to decide between some "normal" nipple response -vs- having a breast lift... Or can the nipple be made to stand up on its own by sort of, I guess, backfilling so this is really not an issue?     Thanks! Tamara

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2012

Hi, All -- I'm preparing for a trip to NOLA in a few weeks.  Do I need to buy any special clothes or will the Center provide me with everything I need initially?  Will I need to buy first aid supplies after I am released from the Center?  Thanks for all your help!  

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited May 2012

I received my patient packet.  What a reality check, more like reality slap that was.  Ugh, I'm getting nervous/cold feet/dread of going back to a place I left behind 13 years ago.  I think I can...I think I can...I think I can...

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

LAstar... You do not need to buy any surgical supplies as they give you what you need....They actually give you a small duffel type bag full of stuff, so I suggest bringing an extra piece of luggage to put this bag in. I had my husband bring a duffel that could be packed inside his bag... What you do need are clothes that are not tight and can fit over a girdle or binder. They give you bras and girdles and all medical supplies... but it adds up so you ned a way to get it all home.

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Tamara... I didn't have sensation before or after stage II.. And my one original nipple behaves the same as it did before stage II... Do realize that I had some skin issues on that side and so the nipple may have been compromised back at stage I, as far as behaving like  a nipple should.

Anita... Yes, you can

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2012

Tamara, Dr. D did a beautiful job on plumping up my nipples - they look almost like teen-nips - Sort of permanently standing at attention - which I like, though I'll have to figure out the shirt thing if I don't wear a bra. He can probably make they look however you like. I don't know if they react or not. I think they did a little bit after stage one, but it sounds like less than yours. I think they do look more tight sometimes than others even now, but I can't associate it with anything like touching or cold. I needed the lift - I had a fair amount of extra skin and my breasts looked lumpy and uneven. The nipples look very slightly less natural because now there's a seam around the areola, but I still think I made the right choice to have the lift/tighten.  

LAstar, you'll need pajamas and slippers or flip flops, but they'll provide all your undergarments, a robe and all the medical supplies you can eat. You won't need to buy a thing in that regard, though you might want to pack a thermometer in your bag just in case you think you may be feverish in the hotel. That way you can find out before calling the center. You don't even strictly need to bring pajamas since you can wear a hospital gown, but silking pjs are SO much easier to get in and out of bed with and of course you may want them at the hotel unless you like the bra and open crotch girdle look.

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Beverly.. I have my appointment with Dr D for Oct 29 for a consultation to discuss what next... for stage 2B.. so please add me to your list... And for anyone else there at that time, I will be at the Homewood Suites 26th-30th.

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited May 2012

Betsy, looks like we will just miss each other. I am scheduled for stage 2 on Oct. 19. That is only 10 1/2 weeks after stage 1, so they have already warned me we may need to change it. I really hope not, because then I will have to wait until next summer for stage 2 due to work conflicts.

Too bad our paths won't cross. I've followed your saga on these boards and you help give me confidence to try again. Your positive attitude is very inspiring!

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Aw.. thanks Dianne... sorry I will miss you too.

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited May 2012

Hi, its me again.

My diep is forever away. I just finished rads about a month ago. The PS at johns hopkins said its best to wait a whole 12 months after rads?

Do i really need to wait that long?

I havnt sent my initial paperwork to nola, but saw that my insurance takes dr. D. How far ahead do they want to do consults? When is nice time to visit nola? I mean if its true that i have 11months, i should go maybe for my 25 anniversay in oct.

And does anyone know if they can let some fluid out of this TE? Its got like 500 in there.

I really want to be pampered after my last hosp experience.

I called corporate angels and they said i can arrange flights with them. I did my initial flights during mast and biopsys with them

Its going to be a long 11 months

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2012

Hurricane season is June 1 - November 30, but most occur in August and September.  The weather in October is usually really nice!

http://iri.columbia.edu/climate/ENSO/globalimpact/TC/Atlantic/annualcycle.html 

• Jane123
    edited May 2012

Thanks, Eva & Betsy.   I am sure a lift would be good in the long run as I know gravity will keep taking its toll & I feel like this is my one opportunity to delay more droop.  In just the past week (I am 3 months post op stage 1) my noticeably larger breast, which has always been larger even after the surgery, has shrunken & is now the smaller breast.  Both breasts are smaller now and I have some extra skin and a dip down the center fronts.  I don't think I've lost weight, I'll check next time I have access to a scale.  Is this the "settling in" and why stage 2 is recommended after 12 weeks?  Anybody else have this?  

I know the dips down the center fronts of my breasts will be taken care of at stage 2.  I saw Karen's & they look amazing.  

I guess I just need to figure out if I want to look like me, kinda droopy/natural for my age but perky nipples or have younger looking breasts overall.  Thanks for letting me think "out loud" & hear what you experienced.  I feel so fortunate to be given these cosmetic options at all!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited May 2012

I am here in NOLA!! The drive wasn't bad, but my DH and I are pretty tired. My sweet friend just ran to get me a daiquiri, so I am looking forward to drinking that and going to dinner in a few hours.

The center called and rearranged my appointment with Dr. D so I will see him first at 9 am.

Hope Jen's surgery went well!!

Sending well wishes and hugs to all!!

Michelle

• Adey
    edited May 2012

Enjoy the daiquiri!

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Michelle... enjoy the city and your dinner... you will be great and will LOVE Dr D.

Fran... October is indeed very nice, past the humidity... You can fly down for a consult or just send them photos. I went in person, but many many just send photos. I did not have radiation, so I can't comment on length between rads and surgery, and they might decide to replace the irradiated skin with ab skin, so it may not matter.

Tamara... I would get the lift... I did get a lift, and think its the way to go. And any discrepancy in size they will resolve at stage II... I think the longer time you can put between stages the better. I had hip flaps in July and my left breast was quite firm 4 months later going into stage II... he worked on it, but it remained firm... Now at 11 months (almost) post stage I, it is softening up as I think the necrosis is absorbing. Had I waited a long time, he would have been able to deal with the absorption, but now I will return for a stage IIb to some volume. I will wait until next January to assure that all "settling" has taken place. And I am going down in October for him to have a look/see.

• Adey
    edited May 2012

Fran-  I had my surgery 9 months after rads but it was delayed due to a European trip.  I didn't want to be recovering!  I think I was told six months.  I did not have to have my radiated skin replaced.  I never asked about it but for some reason had it in my head that it would be.  BTW you will be pampered!

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2012

Springtime,

I am not going to NOLA, but to Dr. K & C in Charleston. BUT(pun intended) if it is ok with everyone and you would like to add me to your list I would be honored.If not, it is ok, I am listed on the Charleston thread. So much great info and support here, I have learned so much from you all. My surgery date is June 7, unilateral SGAP(right) and removal of implant on left side.

I always end up paying for internet too at hotels, just cant stay away I guess :)

Lisa

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2012

Welcome to the Big Easy, Michelle!

I think rearranging appointments is the norm there. Almost every single appointment I had - including my surgery time - changed at or near the last minute - usually to make it earlier (which I liked). 

Hope to hear from Jen soon!  

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited May 2012

Thanks for the support Betsy.  I really appreciate it.  I feel 100% confident with my decision to go natural reconstruction this time, just a bit frazzled about getting knocked down over surgery again.  It's been a long time of perfectly healthy living for me and the reality of being laid up for a while has caught up with me.  The bright side is that I don't have to worry about fighting the cancer and have all the time in the world to get back what I lost.  Implant reconstruction felt like a band aid for me. I hope I'm not disappointed with natural girls. 

I am curious if anyone on this thread has gone from implant reconstruction to natural too. It seems like my upper body strength is limited to develop because of the position of the muscle pocket used to hold the implants.  For me it seems like all I have to rely on are my arms and get very little help from my chest.  Specifically, was upper body strength improved after natural reconstruction?  Also curious if any of you can lay on your tummy (after healing time) comfortably?  I had to give that up and I suppose it's missed the most when I want to tan my back side in the sun.  I just have to lay there propped up on my elbows reading or something.  I long for laying on my belly again.

Prayers for speedy healing and warm fuzzies to comfort Esmeralda and Michelle. 

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited May 2012

willy5js5- I have never had implants but have bilateral (DIEP and sGAP) reconstruction.  I have  absolutely no trouble lying on my stomach after healing.  In terms of function and comfortable activity everything is the same as before surgery :-)

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2012

Willy- I had tissue expanders in foreeevvvvereerrr and I was always so uncomfortable trying to lay on my belly! I have no issues with my hip flaps! I sleep on my stomach frequently, plus do lots of exercise from the prone (belly down) position. Of course, you can't do any of that in the beginning, but once you get clearance (for me they gave clearance at 6 weeks although I think I waited much longer as I was really cautious!) you can start rolling over. I think you will be so happy with them. I also was limited in what I could do exercise wise that involved the pecs - now I do everything. I just have to say, I do not miss having expanders in my chest at all! You will be great!

Jen - thinking of you and hope ou are resting comfortably tonight.

Michelle - good luck with all of your pre op stuff tomorrow! Soon, it will all be behind you!

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited May 2012

I am so excited for everyone at NOLA right now - pre-op, surgery, post op - Sending healing prayers your way!!

Nordy - I had my expanders for 1 1/2 yrs!!  I am not sure how long you had yours in?  AAGh! even when I got the implants it didn't feel much better!   I just had a hip flap on my failed tram flap side (after the failed implant) and it is remarkable how good it looks already , I still have an implant on my right side which I so want to get a hip flap on that side now too!! I will be addicted to surgery till I get my before reconsdtruction messed up body back!  HA!   So looking forward to rolling on my stomach again one day.  I have been in a recliner for 3 years due to all of my failed surgeries before I went to NOLA.  So it is good to hear from you how good you feel now.  I am looking forward to getting past the 6 week mark, I am at 2 weeks now and I am still swollen and tight.  How long does that last?

I had 1 problem - my hip drain slowly came out.  It was still connected but the stitch kept moving down and little by little I couldn't keep suction.  The sent me a new bulb but it didn't help so I pulled the drain yesterday (4 weeks early)  Now I have to get aspirated every week or so.  Did anyone have that happen?  Just wondering how bad this is. 

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited May 2012

willy4js5,  Hi, I went from implants to SGAP reconstruction.  I can't tell you how much better it feels to have the implants out.  I was uniformed about the high rate of failure with radiation.  I had a total of three recons surgeries and the right implant was almost to my collarbone.  His next suggestion was to downsize the implants or lat flap.  The light finally went off in my head....knew I had to find something else and ended up meeting Dr. Massey. Once you are healed they feel great.  You can do anything.  I go for my stage 1B in two weeks. 

Jen and Michelle...thinking of you

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited May 2012

I have a technical question.  I don't want to bring my heavy laptop to NOLA so I'm considering purchasing either a new ipod (which I've been thinking about for a while) or should I go for an iphone (don't really need a new phone and don't want 3-4G service), or a Kindle or Nook?  I mostly want it for music and email & BC.org.  I could see future advantages of having an e-reader. Decisions, decisions....  Would love recommendations for what has worked for others.  

Thanks ya'll 

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited May 2012

Thank you everyone!!! We are about to leave now to head to the center. I have so many emotions running through me & my stomach is in knots. I know it's all going to be fine...I just got some serious nerves running right now.

I texted with another lady who had surgery yesterday and everything went great and just as expected. I'm planning on stopping in to see her and Jen later today.

Hugs!!!!