Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012

Jenifer... Laura is great and communicates quickly and reliably... I am glad she put your fears to rest... But if she hadn't emailed back, I could tell you that they would have taken care of any problems.... You will see when you get there that they run smooth as butter, and they ALL have a calming way about them.

Jen... Yay for no cancer. 

Michelle... thinking of you tonight.

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

I also want to say that I am thinking of Springtime tonight... she lost her mom.

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited June 2012

Jenifer,  I just received my approval from insurance and mine also said "unilateral" when it has been bilateral all along.  I freaked out!  I was immediately on the phone w/ Cigna and the coding they had for the procedure was for a bilateral but when it printed on paper, it came up as unilateral.  They had a hard time trying to figure that one out.  I asked them to re-issue my approval letter with the correct wording & coding for my records.  No wonder we get so frustrated and uptight  when dealing w/ insurance!!!

I hope all goes well for you & there is no more stress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      katiejane

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited June 2012

Betsy, oh no, was this within the past few days that Spring lost her mom?  Springtime, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Yes, Laura has been great every step of the way.

Katiejane, thank you, it's reassuring to know that this can happen.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2012

Spring, so sorry. Losing a parent is never easy

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited June 2012

Spring, so very sorry to hear about your mom.

Jen & Michelle......prayers and healing vibes being sent your way.

• jenlee
    edited June 2012

ugghhh, I think I have a cold.  I had a slight sniffle yesterday and called the center, Katie checked with someone who said it was ok as long as it's a tiny cold.  It seems to be a real cold now, no coughing but tons of nasal & head congestion.  I believe a cold is a contraindication for anesthesia.  We're supposed to get on a plane tomorrow morning for my Tuesday surgeryCry  My sister is an OR nurse and her best friend is an anesthesiologist, so I'm sure they'll have some opinions, so I just sent her an email.  Has this every happened to any of you prior to surgery?  With the center being closed for the weekend, I guess I need to call the hospital and talk to one of the nurses who would know who to check with?  

• jenlee
    edited June 2012

ugghhh, I think I have a cold.  I had a slight sniffle yesterday and called the center, Katie checked with someone who said it was ok as long as it's a tiny cold.  It seems to be a real cold now, no coughing but tons of nasal & head congestion.  I believe a cold is a contraindication for anesthesia.  We're supposed to get on a plane tomorrow morning for my Tuesday surgeryCry  My sister is an OR nurse and her best friend is an anesthesiologist, so I'm sure they'll have some opinions, so I just sent her an email.  Has this every happened to any of you prior to surgery?  With the center being closed for the weekend, I guess I need to call the hospital and talk to one of the nurses who would know who to check with?  

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

The doctor on call would call you back if you call the Center... and I was suffering from major allergeries going in... oddly, I came out of surgeries with no symptoms... who would have thought anesthesia is the cure for allergies.

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited June 2012

Spring- I am so sorry to hear about your mom.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited June 2012

Spring - ((HUGS)) and prayers coming to you from Michigan.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited June 2012

My condolences Spring.  Prayers to you, your family and your mom.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2012

My thoughts are with you, Spring. I'm sorry for your loss.

I hope we hear from Michelle today. I've seen posts on her facebook page that her surgery went great and she's doing well. 

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited June 2012

Spring - so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. Losing a parent is so hard. 

Peace & Strength to face the days ahead,

Karen 

• need2new
    edited June 2012

Jenlee,

Zinc, zinc, zinc, lots of water, Emergency. I was feeling icky before my first surgery and did my regimen and was fine. Best of luck,

Karen 

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited June 2012

Hey ladies. Just stopping in to quickly say hi. In pain but doing ok. I'll try to connect later today. Dr D. Was also here and he's just amazing guy!! Talk later

• Adey
    edited June 2012

Welcome back Chelle!

• need2new
    edited June 2012

Chelle - you made it!! Glad to hear from you. Rest and be well.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2012

Just back from doing laps. The narcotic they are giving me is making me super light-headed! Trying to decide to stay one more night or not. We're at the hope lodge after this, so we'll need to go grocery shopping, etc. I stopped into Michelle's room for a brief hello and she looks good! (hi Michelle!) Hopefully we can talk again before we leave.

Spring, so sorry about your loss. All of our thoughts are with you.

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2012

Spring - so sorry to hear about the loss of your mom.

Chelle - so glad to hear from you.

I am enjoying a few indulgences today - artichoke dip, snickers, wine!  Need to get out that packing list and finish packing.  Will fly to NOLA tomorrow. 

• Adey
    edited June 2012

What a combo KSue!  (c:  Safe flight tomorrow.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2012

Sorry about your Mom Spring. Strength and comfort to you and yours. Speedy recovery to the gals at NOLA.

• EvaM
    edited June 2012

Jen, don't hesitate to spend another night if you're feeling iffy. I spent an extra night both times I went and I'm so glad I did. It was a relief to have a reprieve for a little longer since there's so much you have to deal with once you're on your own. No one ever made me feel the least like it was a problem to take the extra time.

• Adey
    edited June 2012

Me too.  Extra nights.  No problem.

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Me too...

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited June 2012

Eva,  I am a self pay for facility use at The Center for my surgery(DIEP 7/5).  They have been very generous w/ their prices even though it is still quite a chunk of change!!!  I was given 3 nights for post op recovery and was quoted a price of $1400.00 for every night over the given 3.  I was told that it was a 4 day stay for recovery---which in the hospital I work in, it is 4 days and 4 nights-discharge after the 4th night. When did you discharge?  Infact, I'd like to hear from anyone on which day you all discharged after DIEP surgery.  

I spoke to The Center after I was given this info and they said I had been misinformed therefore they would drop the price to $700.00 for every night over...hmmmmm.

Would love any feedback!!!!!!    Thanks!!!! katiejane

• jenlee
    edited June 2012

I called the hospital today and they had me call Dr. Stollier.  He said that I should fly to NOLA tomorrow.  Of course he told me there are no guarantees that there will be surgery; for various reasons, some people aren't medically fit when they get there.  He felt that a summer cold might even be gone by Tuesday.  And that since I don't have a fever and it's not in my chest, I should be OK for surgery. Crossing my fingers for many reasons!  

Early June Nolettes, see you soon! 

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2012

Alrighty, I'm here for one more night. We'll head to the hotel in the morning. Eva, I had your chocolate! Delicious!!! What a nice treat. I just met Sandy in the hallway; she's here with her sister.

My daughter is coming tomorrow and I'm a little nervous. Wondering if it's too soon, if she'll understand that she has to be very careful with me. I don't want her to see the drains... I'll be anxious for she and my husband to head out to the zoo and aquarium to enjoy themselves just as soon as they can.

Here's wishing all those in recovery a good a night sleep! And Jenlee and Ksue, safe travels!

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2012

Jen, I will be arriving at the Hope Lodge tomorrow evening.  I am staying there Sunday and Monday evening prior to surgery.  Hope to see you there. 

• EvaM
    edited June 2012

Wow, Katiejane, that makes it a tougher decision. I stayed four nights for stage one and two nights for stage two. But I wasn't self paying for use of the facility. After stage one, on my third day they showed me and my sister how to do the drains, etc. but I would have been a wreck trying to do it in the hotel that same night. One extra night allowed me to have more supervised practice. Plus, I was still nauseus from the anasthesia and wobbly on my feet. I COULD have gone but I'm really glad I stayed. After stage two, I was so bent over and could only walk at a slow shuffle with tiny steps. I was thankful for an extra night to just feel strong enough to walk into the hotel. Though I'm sure I COULD have left after one night and survived.

Jen, I'm glad you got the chocolate. At the time I bought the box I knew four women who were going to be there, but the box had five pieces in it. I guess some part of me must have known there's be one more. Sleep well.