Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited June 2012

I'm wondering, how soon did everyone drive after surgery?

My sister-in-law has been staying with us and helping out with chores and driving my daughter to and from camp. Unfortunately, there are signs that when I'm resting, she's not being very positive with my daughter. So my husband will talk to his sister, but if it's not resolved, I want her to leave, so my recuperation period might be coming to an abrubt end. I assume that as soon as I stop taking pain meds, I can drive? I'm two weeks past surgery and my breasts still hurt, but I'm at the point where I could probably switch to Aleve or Tylenol for daytime.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2012

I started driving as soon as I went off pain meds. I stopped the pain meds because I got a rash, not because I thought I was ready to go off them. Turns out the ibuprofen was just fine at that point. I think I might have taken something to help me sleep at that point for a bit.

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited June 2012

After the DIEP, I was off pain meds as soon as I was released from the hospital. I stuck to Tylenol and felt so much better. As soon as you are off the pain meds, driving is no problem. I did have a little pillow I used to keep the seatbelt a little off my breastbone. That was super sensitive for about 2 months, but remember I have no breasts to shield the breastbone, so I think that is why I have had a hard time with it.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited June 2012

Morning, ladies!!

Whew! I take a few days away and have pages and pages to read up on!! Congrats to all just coming out of surgery ... the advice here IS sound and it WILL get better. Dr. D's "Tincture of Time"! My foob has dropped a little and I think that it was meant to as it now has a nice mammary fold like the contralateral.

I did purchase some camis for my mastectomy and use them for after the surgical bra. One simply pulled up from the bottom, but the other zipped up the front, had some nice lace work on it, was the softest cotton and I wore in in NOLA as a tank top ... and a pretty one at that!

Chelle, some wise woman (probably on this board) gave me an acronym to think of and use, and I have it posted next to my computers so that I can remind myself of my needs that are probably driving my inner anxiety or sadness or whatever. It is HALT - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. In most instances, I was able, when I started to get torqued up, to look at that and identify what the need was -- usually a cross between angry and lonely! LOL!

Sort of anxious about when to do Stage 2B -- need the contralateral "adjusted" and my nipple tat. Just opened my B&B and things are rolling along, so have to try to find some time when I am not working or needed to cook, change beds and clean!!!

Luck and speedy recovery for those heading into surgery! We got your back!!

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited June 2012

Need2 & Betsy, I am up for a road trip / hiking adventure!  Love it!  

I bought arnica for this fall's stage 2 per Dana's suggestion.   Agree that constipation is awful and somewhat avoidable, so do what you can - prune juice, tea, walking.  I did not drive or lift for 6 weeks, felt right for me.  As for what I most needed, it was hearing that things will get better.  Thanks again to the ladies that phoned me and helped me through it!  Peace, Tamara

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited June 2012

I got Arnica in tablet form from the Center, sent for me to start taking 3 days before surgery and after that until it was gone. Can't tell whether that was beneficial, but the topical Arnica gel I used on the deep bruising from lipo doggoned near worked miracles!! My husband said he could see daily improvement. I am a fair-skinned red-head, and bruise very easily -- and in SUCH technicolor! -- that it was a great help. It also eases somewhat the soreness, so I used it on all areas that were bruised, being VERY careful not to get onto or in any of the wounds. Works for me ... may not for others!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited June 2012

FYI  Dr M asks for no Arnica for stage one.

Pink Pockets are gone!  Splitting them up for a few people to try.  (c:

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2012

Hi ladies... Just sharing some news: Dr. Stollier got the results of my oncotype test. 15. He feels this is very positive and means that I won't need chemo (which sort of terrifies me!), but of course it all depends on what my onco says. Sigh.

Hope everyone is recovering well! Jeanine just told me I can start wearing my own bras and no longer have to wear one at night - thank god! I cannot believe it will be 4 weeks for me next week. The time is flying, ladies! Since having to switch from ibuprofen to tylenol, i have more soreness and sensitivity in my breasts. Though i know week 3 often brings with it more physical discomfort too.

I hope those of you in recovery or with upcoming procedures are able to hold onto Dr. D's "tincture of time" motto. Its true! Much love!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2012

I was told no herbal supplements for stage 1 also. Stage 2 was a different story and Arnica was definitely okay!

As for shoulder restrictions - I do not recall having any after reconstruction... then again it has been a while! I did have restrictions after mastectomies - but those were done at separate times. Regardless, I was able to get shirts on over my head without issue - I don't really love button down shirts, although I do own a few, so just wore my normal clothes. I agree with KC on not doing too much too soon, but would also find out what kind of motions you can do and when. It is a balance - you want to heal properly but also do not want to risk a frozen shoulder by going too long. Best to double check with your particular surgeon and find out what their protocol is... since we all know they are different!

Oh, and Hi KC - it is nice to see you here!

Jenlee - I was driving shortly after I got home, but I am not really big on narcotics so was not on them very long. I am sorry that you are having the stress of worrying about the care of your daughter while you are trying to heal and rest. That is really hard. I have a sister that used to come when I had chemo and my dtr was an infant. My dtr did not like her, and I did not really trust her alone with her. So I would end up bringing them both to chemo. My sister to drive me, and then my baby (and I!) would fall asleep in my arms while I was being infused. My sister was there to make sure my dtr didn't roll off of me while we both slept. She couldn't hold my dtr because she would just start screaming... Lol! Kids pick up on people for sure! Anyway, I wonder how much you are really able to rest while having to worry about your little one?? I know every child is different, but I was alone with my girls much of the time post surgery and they were really great. Maybe this would be better? I am sending you a million hugs. You will figure it out though and do what is best for you and what you feel is best for your dtr. Hang in there.

• Adey
    edited June 2012

What a lovely way to spend chemo.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2012

Hi, All - just checking in. everything went well yesterday. My bmx & hip flaps took about 11 hours. preliminary look at nodes find nothing -yay! I'm feeling really drowsy today. SallyM stopped by right as I was trying to sit up for the first time, and I was trying not to pass out! Sorry, sally! Thanks for coming by! My new breasts look good from the top!

• Adey
    edited June 2012

Welcome back!

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2012

Wonderful, LAstar! Wishing you much rest and a smooth recovery!!

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2012

Fantastic, LAstar! You sound awfully chipper for someone just out of stage 1! I hope things continue to go well for you. 

• Jane123
    edited June 2012

Great, LAstar!  Thanks for the update.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2012

Congrats on the nodes news Lastar. Speedy healing and big comforts to you.

• Adey
    edited June 2012

Feeling more settled.  Flights and hotel done.  And Betsy, reservation for Commander's Palace, done!  Looking into swamp, plantation and cemetery tours.  (c:

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited June 2012

LAstar, glad you're doing well. Your post looks so coherent; the emails that I sent to people on my first few days looked like I was drunk and I'm not much of a drinker. Apparently a number of people called, but I didn't remember the conversations. I was so sad and thought that hardly anyone called:)

Adey, you'll love Commander's Palace! The jazz brunch is wonderful.

Nordy, thanks for your comments, makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. I was up until past 2 am this morning worrying about this. My dh believes in giving people chances and is going to have a nice chat with his sister. He is the diplomat in the family. It takes a lot for me to get angry, so by the time I boil over, the outcome is rarely positive.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited June 2012

HI everyone,  Healing hugs to all...glad to see you post LAstar. Rest and be pampered.  I'm day 5 from my addition of Diep flaps.  Doing well with everything except the GI problem.  The tummy feels very tight but I know that will improve with time.  I finally had Cafe DuMonde Beignet's today  (DH went for a walk and brought them back.  Oh my gosh!!!  I wish I had never tasted them.  I managed to stuff two of them into me.  See Dr. Massey tomorrow for post op and then to fly home Friday.  As always it will be good to get home.  I hope I don't have any problems with security.  Adey it was great talking to you. Amy, let us know how you're doing.  I think that I drove about 10 days out of stage 1.  I have a hard time being grounded.  Great results Esmerelda on your onco test.  Jenlee, so sorry to hear about your helper.  You sure don't need any additional stress right now.  Hugs to all.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2012

Great to hear from you LAStar! Be kind to yourself! Walk when you can, it helps! Your body is designed to move. Rest when you need to. Shower will be great! Did you poop yet??? LOL!!! (Shower and poop were always huge milestones for me!!)

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited June 2012

Jane123- Thanks for talking with me. Very encouraging!

Nordy & Springtime- thank you for your words. I am trying to practice patience, patience, and more patience these days. All things will work out in due time :)

While I wait for the insurance to shake out- I am trying to purchase a few items while its summer here in Wisconsin to take to NOLA. We only get a few months and then the stores bring in the fall/winter clothes all too soon, so I am trying to pick up a few summer things. I have been searching for front button down short sleeve tops. How soon before many of you were comfortable lifting your arms for shirts to slip overhead?

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012

Kerry... I was lifting my arms right away, enough to get a loose top or nightie on... I couldn't stand the button down shirts... I borrowed a couple of my husband's smaller ones so I woul dneed to buy any. They were still too big.

soooo today I went to the beach IN A BIKINI... Thanks Dr D... but will say, I still have the protruded belly. Even my daughter said my belly looked out of proportion from the rest of my body... how are others doing with their bloat??

• willy5js5
    edited June 2012

Glostagirl blessings to you tonight and your tomorrow journey. I'm trying to pack some clothes and flipping out a tad about being on deck.  I had a great treadmill run tonight to release some anxiety and the eye candy at my local gym was a very nice bonus.  I usually go to Zumba class on Wednesdays. Gotta say that the post surgery pics with drains and all on the pic forum were especially helpful to think about what clothes I should put in this suitcase. Ugh, it's harder than I thought it would be.   I'm really appreciative of all the posts about being on the other side of stage one tonight.  Thank you everyone for being so candid on here. It is so helpful.

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Anita... you will be great!!! And you will back at Zumba in no time... Wednesday is my Zumba day too.. Relax and breathe and let them pamper you!!!

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited June 2012

Anita,   I would really like to see the post surgery picts w/ drains since my DIEP is coming up on July 5th.  How do I get on the forum?   Thanks!  katiejane

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

KatieJane... there are a ton of pics on the picture forum.. just PM nowheregirl and ask to see them.

• willy5js5
    edited June 2012

Yes, katiejane send a private message to nowheregirl. It may take some perserverance to get access but she is very cautious about protecting our intimate pictures we share and I feel safe about sharing on there because of it.  She will send you a message back. Be specific about how soon you are having surgery. She fancies gals that post frequently and are willing to share intimately. I plan to post and pay it forward because seeing is what gave me strength to not chicken out and just settle for new implants.  I'm only taking my phone with me to NOLA so I can't post until I get back home but it will give me something to do as I am healing.  I'm not the most techno saavy person but I will figure out how to get my photos on there.  It's a bit difficult for me to navigate and find the diep gals picture stories too.  I've seen plenty of implant stories and seems like there just aren't as many flap stories to follow or I haven't figured out how to find them all.

I'm going to vlog (video log) for my family at home via facebook some of the big moments too like getting out of the bed the first time and other milestones.  I can't vouch for what I will say via the phone calls right after surgery but a video like that will say plenty. Then they will really know how I'm doing because they will see it. Send me a facebook friend request. I'm Anita Weaver Willy.  Then I can send you all kinds of up close and personal drain pictures and video that I won't share with the whole facebook world.   It really does help to know ahead of time. Plus I have been a sponge here and on the picture forum.  Great stuff. Thank you so much. There are more spongers out there too. I just know it!  Sometimes, you just don't know what to say but oh boy do you sponge and soak it all in.  So helpful, I'm so grateful.   

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited June 2012

Anita,  I just sent a FB request to you-thank you sooo much!!!  Love the Mermaid pict!  I think you could call me a sponge on this forum as well-so much great info and you gals are so willing share so much!  It really has carried me through many, many times!!!  When fighting w/my insurance for a year, it was really hard not to give up and thanks to the encouragement from everyone I am only 2 weeks out from bilat. DIEP!!  Did any of you find that you became quite tearful at times for no apparent reason as your date approached?!  Thank you so much!!!  I will PM nowheregirl too!

Hugs!!!  katiejane   We will be in NOLA at the same time-where are you staying??

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited June 2012

It was so nice to "hear" your post LAstar.  I can't believe you were able to do this already.  I am on deck in Aug. and will be following all of you summer people.

Thinking healing thoughts for Glostagirl today!!!

I went looking for button down shirts yesterday and didn't find anything at all.  Can you wear drawstring pants?  Sweats or light PJ bottoms, shorts.  I am not sure what some of you mean by lounge shorts.  I want to have a couple of things for the Homewood Suites when I am released and a couple of things in case I am able to go out.  Of course it will be 100 degrees in NOLA in middle August.  In Michigan, the fall clothes come out by July 4 so I need to get busy.

I will look for loose tops.  bdavis says you can get into them.  I hate to buy a bunch of new things and not be able to wear it.  I need to look at those pictures of drains and maybe it will give me a better idea.  I will wear hospital gowns in the hospital.  I think that will be most comfortable from what I have heard from you.

Thank you Adey for sharing the Pink Pockets!!  If I can't use it I will pass it on, but it sounds great!

You girls are the ones that keep me going.  It really is a support group.  When I went to get my echogram yesterday the receptionist, although nice and respectful, quizzed me on why I wasn't have my procedures done in Michigan.  I tried to explain what I was doing and she had never heard of it and sounded skeptical.  People that have not been through what we have just don't get it.

Although I don't post much I am "listening" and "taking notes".  You are all helping me so much and I hope to be able to return the favor to newbies after my stage 1 is done.  I just retired from teaching and will have more time to devote to this outreach.  THANK YOU ALL.

• Jane123
    edited June 2012

Katiejane, Totally tearful.  In fact, any time I heard a certain song I would cry.  My family accepted this and would tell me it was going to be o.k. It was nice when I finally let myself cry in front of them; I would feel better afterwards.  I mostly cried at night before sleep, though.  I do not do this anymore. Oh, the relief.

Cherrie,  I wore surgical scrubs with a cool pull string waist.  If it were a summer I think I would still choose these as they are light - or I would make them cut-offs! 

Kerry, So nice talking with you!  Praying for you!