Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited June 2012

I, too, wore scrubs (Stage 1 was in August and I stayed 3 weeks with relatives outside of NOLA). And I purchased several of those long light cotton tiered skirts at Wal-Mart for about $9 and wore them with loose tops. Best investment ever as I look absolutely awful in yoga pants!! LOL! Can you say "pear"? :-) Whatever fabric is comfortable for you will work, Katiejane!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited June 2012

Jane 123

Did you have hip flaps with your DIEP?  I was wondering about the pull strings.  I would be most comfortable in this type of outfit.

I went to the picture forum and only found one picture of drains.  Can anyone help me with that?  They were smaller than I thought, but the picture was a first shower.  Wow.  What a contraption.  I am probably most worried about these drains and how to dress for them.  (To hide them)

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited June 2012

Hi, I just wanted to report that I saw Glostagirl for a few minutes today and she's doing well.

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited June 2012

Cherrie, if you pm me with your email address, I can send you a photo of my last remaining drain in... I haven't gotten around to posting anything on the photo site yet.

Regarding clothing, I should have listened to bdavis as I completely overpacked. I was too out of it to wear anything but hospital gowns in the hospital, but noticed they got soiled anyway from Betadine or drainage. I did like having loose dark colored yoga pants and loose pj's in the hotel room. Some of the girls mentioned pj's in slippery satin fabric. I ended up not using them, but the slipperiness would have helped when wriggling out of bed. Since I barely left the hotel, I didn't need much in the way of clothing, but had lots to choose from, had I needed it...

If anyone is interested in any of the following items, let me know:

I purchased two cute button up tops from "Confident Clothing Company"(you can google it to see the tops). They have removable drain pockets and are made of a special cool fabric. They weren't my most intelligent purchase at $90 each, since I never ended up wearing them. I also got their cool capris for $50. The tops (black & light blue) are a roomy medium and the pants (black) are a large (to accommodate swelling, etc.). I'd be happy to mail these items to anyone who wants them if you're interested. Unfortunately, I removed the tags and washed them, so I can't return them. I wouldn't be feeling so guilty about wasting the money if someone could use them! Also got a few linen-ish button up tops at an "upscale" Goodwill for about $4.00 each :) I'm a medium, but got xl to make slipping into them easier and to accommodate drains, etc. Not bad looking, nice condition.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012

Cherrie.. back a few pages I posted a link to the TARGET lounge shorts... They are only like $15 and super comfy. I did bring a couple of sleeveless nighties that I preferred towear instead of the hospital garb, but only after day 2-3.

Here is the link again:

http://www.target.com/p/gilligan-omalley-womens-fluid-knit-bermuda-assorted-styles-colors/-/A-13899174?reco=Rec|pdp|13899174|RelatedToInternalSearch|search_page.banner_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|13899174|RelatedToInternalSearch|search_page.banner_1

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited June 2012

Cherrie,  Yes, I had DIEP + hip flaps.  My husband would carefully place the ABD pads around my incision/drain sites, zip me into the garment, and help me step into my scrubs.  I also had a couple of pairs of pj bottoms with the drawstring waist, but the scrubs were my favorite.  I wore my husband's old button down shirts mainly because they were long.  I was comfortably getting into my "uniform" of long sleeved t-shirts about 6 weeks post op. I do not remember having trouble raising my arms.  I was not concerned about my drain pouch showing but I did not get out much - only to go to my daughter's lacrosse games which I NEVER miss (o.k., I missed one because I was 2 weeks post op, frail, & white as a sheet)!  I walked sort of hunched over and was guarded so folks who knew me could tell something was different anyway.

Betsy, I have been shopping for a bikini this week!  I have not worn one since jr high and hope to find something fun & flattering.  Thanks, Marcia, for the encouragement to do so!Cool

• Cherrie
    edited June 2012

Thanks Betsy.  I got on the site and took a quick look.  I think I will order.  Do you get them a size bigger than normal.  I usually wear a medium  10/12.

I am trying to get all of this done as I will be on vacation in July and my son is getting married out of town on Aug. 11.  My surgery is Aug.17.  I have a lot to cram in.

THANKS!!!!

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

I am a medium and bought medium... they were perfect.

• Cherrie
    edited June 2012

Ok.  That is great info.  Did the waisteband feel comfortable on stomach from the DIEP?  Sorry for all of these endless questions, but I am trying so hard to prepare physically and mentally for this.

Cherrie

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

The fabric is super soft and flexible... so it felt like butter-soft. Do you have a Target near you?? Maybe go and feel them. They come in bermuda length, crop (mid calf) and long... and my nightie is the same brand. So very comfy.

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited June 2012

bdavis,   I took your advise and found the closest Target and bought 2 pairs of the lounge pants/shorts.  They didn't have a lot of selection size or color wise but I got a black and a grey pair and that should be plenty!  They are butter soft!!  I couldn't order them online-the site would not allow it.  Anyway, thanks for the tip! 

Cherrie, I highly recommend these as well!!  I also bought 2 nightie's in the same fabric from another store and just had to try them out!!  They are so nice and cool-so soft!!  Wonderful sleeping!!!!

katiejane

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Katiejane... I think you will be very happy with them... whether they give you a binder or girdle, either way these pants/shorts are great... I also bought black and gray.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2012

I had great luck with my local thrift store. The clothes were worn and soft and so cheap it didn't matter if I didn't get much use out of them.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2012

Hey all - I just wanted to check in about my pain. It's been three weeks and the pain in my breasts has increased. Is this what you all experienced? It seems to be worse in the afternoon and evening. It's a sort of sore, stingy feeling throughout. Ugh. They feel SO sensitive, if I graze them the skin seems so sore/sensitive... Not the skin, per se, but more like just under the skin. Is this making any sense? I'm only on Tylenol and am mising the ibuprofen! Thanks, ladies.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2012

Dr Massey's office called to remind me of my pre ops on Monday. I giggled. Not an appointment I would easily forget. I got some overtime approved for 9 to 9 today and tomorrow as well as 8 hours on Saturday. That should keep me busy and help the days pass without anxiety. Time and a half will come in handy too. Clothes are packed and I kept it light with extra room for return trip.

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Jen.. I did not have that but many do... I am sure someone will chime in how long it lasted and what they did to feel better... I do know that it passes... hang in there.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2012

Hi, All!  Once my pain button was taken away, things took a turn. Bleh. My blood pressure plummeted and there was talk of a transfusion but it was never needed. Yesterday was rough but today has been worlds better mostly because everyone has been motivating me out of the bed.  You are so right about the exercise, Springtime!  It was painful to initially get out of bed, but every effort really helped me feel better.  I know that it will be a long recovery, but it's really nice not to dread the surgery anymore! 

I haven't tracked down Downet30 or glostagirl -- are you girls still around?  I'll be at SCSH tonight and maybe tomorrow night and Homewood Suites  Sat - Tues.  

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited June 2012

Hey Jen,

I have the same thing with both my breasts. I am still on pain meds as I am having issues with my right breast and having the hematoma in there. Just grazing them hurts and I was told it's normal and it will get better.

I had to go get my blood drawn yesterday & Laura called today with my results. My levels are low which explains my fatigue & pale color, but they aren't so low that I need a transfusion. Going to start taking supplements and eating more protein.

So glad you are doing well LAstar!! I know the feeling when they take the pain pump away too. Hang in there!!

Well wishes to glostagirl & Downey30 too!!

Chelle

• Esmerelda
    edited June 2012

Thanks, Chelle. I had blood work done too post-surgery, and now I'm anemic (from the surgery!). I'm taking iron supplements and leafy greens, meat, dried fruits, etc.

Can I ask everyone a dumb question? It seems like many of you have had a hematoma from

Surgery.... How would I know if I have one?!

• chellehump
    edited June 2012

I'm not sure other than getting a ct scan which is how they found the hematoma I had in my abdomen after my hysterectomy. The one in my breast formed before I left NOLA and started draining out the breast drain. The hematoma will become a "jelly" like consistency and after that happens the body will eventually break it down. My right breast is more swollen & sore than my left one.

If you are concerned, I'd call the center and ask. Do you think you have one in your breast?

• Esmerelda
    edited June 2012

I don't know, Chelle. Both my breasts are swollen and sore! There must be other signs or symptoms, no? I've been think my swelling is just edema and the soreness... Well I did just have someone MAKE breasts out of my stomach fat three weeks ago, so there's that! (ha!)

I would like to know if there are more signs of a hematoma though, the soreness/sensitivity is really bothering me. I don't feel like doing anything and I certainly don't want anyone touching me! I wonder how the Center realized you had one in your breast, Chelle? Hmmm...

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2012

Glad to hear all the recents are doing well

Esmerelda, I had the most sensitive breats after my stage 1. The skin was super sensitive, could not wear a bra, even clothes touching or blowing soft air hurt. The skin was traumatized. It then was stinging and burning, and finally it resolved. it took like 5-6 weeks. I asked Dr. D why this happened, and he said that area (upside down T between and under breasts) gets a lot of "attention" in stage 1. This may not be your issue, but just a few weeks out is really very soon in the healing process. Your body will recover with time. Mine did!

Betsy, my bloat took 6 months to get back into regular clothes and 18-24 months to become flat. 2.5 years to have all the plication muscles get more normal feeling again.  

• Esmerelda
    edited June 2012

Yes, Spring!! You have described exactly what I'm feeling! Ugh. Every little movement, breeze, clothes, loud noise (!) results in soreness/stinging/burning. Feels worse then last week. It's hard to get up the motivation to do the minimal amount of exercise we are allowed to do! Sigh. Thanks for sharing your experience, Spring. One day at a time, right?

• chellehump
    edited June 2012

Jen

They knew because the liquid coming out into the drain had been the yellowish color and then the day before my post-op appointment, the output went up and it turned bloody again.

I'm not sure what other symptoms there would be though. I am super sensitive on both breasts (to the touch), but my right is much worse than my left.

Haha!! Yeah I think the same thing that someone just made new breasts from my hip/butt fat. Still incredible when I stop & think about it.

Sending you gentle healing hugs Jen!! Sounds like we are somewhat on the path.

Chelle

• Esmerelda
    edited June 2012

Good to know, thanks Chelle. Yes, we are recovering! I can't believe I'm 3 weeks + 1 day post-op. I keep dreaming about what next week will feel like, and the week after, etc. gentle hugs back atcha!

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

HUGS all around... gentle hugs... before you know it, you will be pain free, exercising and shopping for sexy bras.

• chellehump
    edited June 2012

Me too Jen!!! I'm a few days behind you, but hoping for more good days than bad, but still taking things one day at a time.

Thanks Betsy!!! I can't wait to get back to exercising & buying all new sexy bras!! Once stage 2 is over & I'm all healed, I have serious summer goals for myself which includes a lot of exercising. I plan to rock some new clothes and maybe even a new bathing suit :-) (bikini maybe)...who knows.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited June 2012

It looks like I am heading to NOLA after all.  :)   This will be my fourth city in which I've hoped to find help for complications stemming from BMX, ALND, and breast recon this past year.  (Also, will be 7th second opinion and finally the last!)

I had a phone consult with Dr. M last week, and have a face to face with Dr. S at NOLA on July 2.  Depending on final decisions, they will work as a team on me for surgery.

I found these extraordinary doctors through this thread -- with many thanks to you all for sharing your tips and surgery experiences at NOLA and helping me and others in so many ways.

Warm well wishes to all in your respective stages of recon and recovery! 

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2012

Jen, I'm afraid increased pain at three weeks is classic. It was right around then that I started to believe I'd have permanent nerve pain. Hold on. It gets better around four or five weeks. According to the sheet they gave me, right around three weeks your body is moving from healing wounds to producing large amounts of scar tissue and it's very common to feel worse at that point. Sorry!

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2012

Esmeralda, me too! I am 2 weeks out today and tonight feeling the same thing . I don't want anything touching me. Almost feels like when I had expanders after a fill. I put sensi-care skin protectant on down below my breast hoping it might help where the surgi bra is.