Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited July 2012
    Betsy, I'm not sure what time my surgery is yet. I certainly hope it's early -- I hate waiting around for surgery!
  • naturegirl2
    naturegirl2 Member Posts: 219
    edited July 2012

hi bdavis, thanks for added info on compression timeframes, issues. etc.  Hey, glad to hear you once again are enjoying the beach in your bikini! :)

KSue, so you still need to wear compression garmet since June 5th from flap surgery?  Sorry you have those hip flap dents.  How large are they?  But as the girls say here, you can get them addressed at stage 2.

hi mstrouble, fellow Louisiana girl!  Glad to meet you.  Thanks for your input on compression as well.

Downy, why did you have hip flap surgery prior to DIEP surgery?

hi chellehump, thanks for your input on compression info. Hope you get your answers regarding 'brown area' on your breast recons.  Good luck!

Springtime, wow, compression 6 months, whew.  Sorry you had such a horrible compression.

I keep saying, y'all are so brave!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2012

LAstar.. When you know the time, we will arrange my visit... I can come early or late... I do know that Jenifer will probably get discharged that day, so I want to make sure I get there before that.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2012

Hi everyone! I haven't read or posted in a while. Sorry about that! It's been a crazy July!

I wanted to let you know that it seems like I have some new baby nerve cells in my left breast! It's a very odd feeling. If I touch a spot at the very left edge near the ribcage, I feel a thin line of sensation that goes all the way to the nipple - passing behind the upper part of the aereola. If I touch the nipple end of that line I feel it at the side. So the feeling seems to be telegraphed along a line rather than feeling where I'm touching. I have a similar line going from the center to just about the same place. It's faint but quite definite and persistent. I feel like I could draw the line with a pen. Anyone else get this? I'm coming up on six months from my PBM and three months from my revisions.

Things seem to be going well. I feel like my strength and stamina is back to normal now. I do mean to keep up here and on FORCE since I hope my experience can help others coming up, but my mind is more on the future. I'll be around.

Here's a video of the belly dance show my little group did recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DMKwHFh3ag (The stage was horribly uneven. I almost fell down half a dozen times!) 

• lastar
    edited July 2012

Yalla ya Eva Moon!  A beaded fringe belly dance bra seems like a great way to celebrate your recovery!

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited July 2012

Naturegirl, I did not have enough belly for two small breasts. We thought the gap would be enough but it turns out I had a bony defect on the right side of my chest so that flap presented much smaller. Took the tummy to fill the void. Hope this helps. I can't wait to get my butt dents fixed and all the rest!

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited July 2012

Betsy and LAstar, I probably won't leave until later in the afternoon. Last time they had to practically beg me to leave. And I want to make sure that my hotel room is completely ready.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited July 2012

SHAKE those girls, Eva! :-)

Maggie

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2012

ok.. we can coordinate. I will be there whenever is best for both of you.

• naturegirl2
    naturegirl2 Member Posts: 219
    edited July 2012

Oh wow Eva, BRAVO, you go girl!  May I ask what kind of breast recon.surgery did you undergo as there is no info on your biography?

hi Downy, you have been thru the ringer and back dear.  I hope all goes well for you in the future.

Since most of the people I've been conversing with here have had prior breast reconstruction with problems then came to NOLA for more breast reconstruction, I would like to hear from those of you who have had only delayed stacked DIEP here at NOLA without prior problems from your local PS in your home town.  I'm trying to relate on a level that I can relate to as this is where I am at this point.  Thanks

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited July 2012

Eva, I have that same misplaced sensation on some areas of my DIEP scar - I touch the scar & feel it nearer my belly button.  Like  a feather being passed over my skin.  I am happy to feel anything!  

Chellehump, I have a brown rectangular area on my left breast (inside, low) that looks like chicken skin if pushed together.  I have other hard edges, too, but want to keep them as I do not want to lose any volume.    I am still waiting for insurance authorization for stage 2...    

• EvaM
    edited July 2012

Naturegirl, I had NSM with hip flap reconstruction. Mine was not delayed, but I did not have any prior reconstruction or surgery or treatments to my breasts prior to NOLA. 

Jane, I also have the misplaced sensation on my tummy tuck scar. I'd been assuming it was scar adhesions or something, but it's just like you describe. A touch on the scar and I feel a feathery sensation several inches away, nearer my belly button. But this is the first time I've felt anything like it on my breasts. I hope it's a sign that new nerve connections are growing! It could be something else I suppose, though I can't think what. I'm sure it's not my imagination, though. 

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited August 2012

Naturegirl2- If you don't fine someone on these boards to talk to who has had a delayed stacked DIEP (without a history of prior problematic reconstruction), you can call the Center and ask for the contact info of women who fit the bill.  Many of the women who have gone through reconstruction at the Center have signed releases saying they will to talk to others considering the same type of surgery.  

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited August 2012

This morning I had my MRI scan, pre-surgery appointment with Dr. Kline, got my markings on my butt and boobs, and then headed to Sullivans Island (see avatar) with an old friend for another good time at the beach before SGAP surgery tomorrow- August 1st! Over the past week my friend has taken me on a marathon tour of Charleston, several islands, her favorite wine bar, so I've been doing my best to live it up before I get beat up by surgery again.  Cool

My DH will drive down and arrive on Friday. He will stay with me the last two nights in the hospital suite and then we will move to a hotel at Patriots Point until my post-op appointment on August 9. We plan to leave on the 10th for a long 11 hour drive home, with many stops to walk. Just like last summer, my DH will amaze me again by taking great care of me, getting my meals, helping me shower and wash my hair, stripping and doing the dreaded drains (at least only 4 this time instead of 6), and something NEW -- giving me daily shots of blood thinner to prevent clots. He hasn't seen the syringes yet - I picked them up at CVS, took one look at them and about fainted!  Oh well, we all get through all this right?

Many heartfelt thanks to Cascader, GMA10, Jacee, Shirley, Nordy, Betsy, Kate33, and EVERYONE for sharing your stories and experiences and giving me the direction and courage to go through another try for a better outcome. I wish you all the absolute best with where you are in your reconstruction recoveries and for those of you scheduled for surgery. I'll post again later this week when I can do more than push the PDA button!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited August 2012

Sending positive thoughts and prayers to PinkHeart & DianeNC!!

Jane123, I took that brown area as bruising, but I figured it would be gone by now. I'm curious on what it is. I have tons of hard spots and two painful knots or bumps in my left breast.

Many of you mention that you are totally numb, but I have feeling all around the edges of both breasts into my armpits. It's actually more than just the edges along my chest area and underneath my breasts. I am numb in the middle and outward about 3/4 of the way. Is this just me?

I am ready to get stage II done, but a little sad that no one will be there this time. I almost booked mine for October 4th or 5th, but my friend who I am staying with will be out of town that week and weekend then my husband found out he has to go out of town that week, so we decided to move it up so I would be feeling better by that time hopefully.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2012

DianeNC, thinking of you today. Things will go great!  Soon, you'll be on the otherside. Gentle Hugs,

• EvaM
    edited August 2012

Chelle, it's not just you. I've had feeling since the beginning around the edges, full feeling down the middle between my breasts, full feeling in my left under arm area, numb almost around to the back on the right. I think it's slowly crept inward a bit but still numb as a brick in the center area. Except now there's that thin line across the middle of my left breast. That's brand new and literally thin as a thread. I enjoy it when my husband touches the edges of the area with feeling. 

BTW, we are married 31 years today! Too bad he's in Boston and I'm in Seattle. 

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited August 2012

PinkHeart & DianeNC- Prayers and good vibrations.

Eva-  Thanks for sharing the video, very fun, and happy anniversary.

You are all often in my thoughts.  I can't wait for stage 2B!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited August 2012

Nature girl,I'm a delayed stacked DIEP (3 years delayed) I'd be happy to answer any questions :)

Just PM me

Marcia

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited August 2012
    EveM-HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!Laughing
  • chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited August 2012

Happy Anniversary Eva!! I'm sure you will make up for not being together once he gets back...lol Wink 

Well it's good to know I am not alone. Laughing Thanks Eva!!

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited August 2012

Spring,  Would you add my Stage II DIEP to the schedule for Oct. 31st please?  :) 

I too have feeling starting to regenerate in many different areas.  Take it from someone who has had pain from lymphedema since my surgery in '07.  There have been many times I have wished everything had remained numb!!  I'd much rather feel nothing than what I have felt!!!  But good news to report on the lymphedema front----my swelling is down, down, down!!!!  It's still early in my recovery but if anything I would have expected it to flair, atleast at first but  has done the opposite!  That's why it's soooo important to have a Doctor who knows lymphedema(Dr. Massey). She is a certified Voddar trained Lymphedema Thearpist-what an awesome surgeon as well as a wonderful, compassionate, person!!!  I am so happy with my outcome so far!!  Thank you Ladies for all of your support!!       Warm HUGS!     Katiejane

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited August 2012

Chelle,  I have the same sensation area as you.  Normal for quite a bit of my chest but totally nada nipples.  My thigh numbness is the oddity.  Today I felt a shocky/prickly kind of feeling and hope that something is changing for the good there.  

Eva, Happy AnniversaryKissCool ! 

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited August 2012

I'm waiting for a call back from Dr. S or nurse after they evaluate pictures I emailed today. Two weeks out of DIEP, my abdominal incision has increasing skin necrosis, and so does my belly button! I'm hoping for an opinion that it will heal over the next several weeks and not require surgical intervention. Do any of you have experience with this? Will it usually resolve by itself?

Eva -- good to see you back on here again, and Happy Anniversary to you and DH!

• lastar
    edited August 2012

AnnAlive, I'm so sorry that this hasn't resolved itself yet.  You have already met your quota on Stage I surgeries!   I'm hoping you get some good news!

• annalive
    edited August 2012

LAstar -- thanks! Indeed, I don't need a surprise trip to NOLA for a stage 1c. I want to wait for December.

I heard back from the nurse after she talked with Dr. S. While this kind of skin necrosis happens occasionally, she said it is rare that they need to bring anyone back in for surgical closure. I am to increase the betadine swabbing and continue protecting the wounds with ABD pads and compression binder. I'll send pictures weekly, sooner if there is any wound separation. She said it may take 6 weeks to resolve. From the look of the surrounding skin, I think it may not be done yet--turns purple, then pink, so it's not bruising.

Praying this will turn the corner and get healing! I'm not feeling well--still on Percocet, alternating with ibuprofen.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2012

KatieJane, added your stage 2 date.

Me? Compression for 6 months ha! Not me. I was out of it asap. (was just reporting what I'd heard some women say their PS wanted after lipo). 

Ladies, I will be gone without computer for a 4 day weekend. Pink Ribbon Yoga retreat at the beach. This is for breast cancer survivors. My 4th year....

New dates? best to PM me please...

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited August 2012

AnnAlive,  I am so sorry that this seems to be the never ending Stage 1!  I hope and pray that there doesn't need any other stage except stage II!!!!  Rest and heal-you will be in my prayers!!!

Warm Hugs!   Katiejane

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited August 2012

AnnAlive,  I am sorry you are still dealing with this and hope it resolves soon.  I had a DIEP done in Maryland and Dr.D commented on my belly button when he saw me.  He told me that there clearly had been necrosis.  I did remember when I was healing from my DIEP  that I thought my belly button looked really bad  - and  took a long time to heal.   (My Maryland ps never addressed the issue.)  In my case things did eventually heal and while Dr. D can tell that there was at problem  - at this point it does look OK to me. 

• annalive
    edited August 2012

Katiejane & Besa -- Thanks for the prayers and good wishes. As I said on the DIEP 2012 thread, I am declaring August my Month of Healing! Anyone who wants to share it for their recovery, I'm right there with you!

Spring -- Bon voyage to the beach! Thanks for looking out for our recon dates!