Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2012

Ann Alive, I added your Dec date above. Congrats! 

I received huge amounts in EOB's too, and it all worked out. It sure is sticker shock though! The center will work it out with your insurance company. Remember when you check into the hospital? You sigh a paper on what you'll owe. Don't worry! They stick to that.... 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2012

My CTA scan in NOLA is at 10:00 AM apparently my insurance has not okayed it yet. If they don't there is no surgery. I can't even go there. We have already spent hundreds on flights, hotels, food, etc. I am sure there is some mistake since they okayed the surgery. Pray for a quick resolution to this. Grrrrr!

I ate at the hotel Montelone. Excellent!!! I just took a melatonin and hope to get a good nights sleep. We rent a car tomorrow to take me to all of these appointments.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited August 2012

Cherrie, good luck with everything. Having a CTA scan is standard procedure for flap reconstruction - regardless of where you go - so try not to worry.

Prayers for you!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited August 2012

Spring -- thanks. I forgot to PM you last night. My stage 2 was scheduled before I went for stage 1 (in order to reserve a December date), but I didn't know if my complications would change the whole picture. I guess I'm still on track and abdomen necrosis should heal in time.

Cherrie -- I hope your CTA scan gets approved this morning so you can proceed. I was worried mine wouldn't be approved because I had an end-of-treatment CT scan a few weeks before, but CTA has an entirely different code and Aetna authorized it. (A standard chest-abdomen-pelvis CT scan, even with contrast, is not good enough for this surgery -- the CTA is specialized to highlight the vessels.) Praying it is resolved for you this morning!

• Springtime
    edited August 2012

One would think the CT scan would have been approved before a pt shows up in NOLA! I hope that works out....

• Cherrie
    edited August 2012

I have bad news. After 7 hours of appointments today Dr. Massey called and told me the CTA scan showed a nodule in my lung. Long story short I am flying home tomorrow and going to my oncologist for a Ct And Pet scan. If it happens to be cancer and I went through with the surgery then my chemo would be delayed by a few months. Neither Dr. Massey or I thought this would be a good idea. I need to find out what this is and when they find it is nothing, I can reschedule surgery.

I am pissed! I have spent so much money to come here. We are making phone calls now and I thought you all should know.

Please say your prayers for me. Sorry to miss you Adey.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited August 2012

Oh, Cherrie. I'm so sorry to hear that.  I'm hoping for a quick reschedule for you after you find out it's nothing. Good luck with the tests.  I'm sure Dr. M will do what she can to make this all work out for you.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited August 2012

Cherrie -- so sorry to hear your plans have taken a detour. I'm praying it will get resolved and not be anything serious going on with your lung so that you can return to NOLA.

• Springtime
    edited August 2012

oh Cherrie, I so hope it turns out to be nothing. We'll all be thinking good good good for you.

Sydgrace, I added your Aug 28 surgery to the list per the PM. Welcome to our list... 

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited August 2012

Sorry to miss you Cherrie.  You are in my prayers.  Safe travels.

• naturegirl2
    naturegirl2 Member Posts: 219
    edited August 2012

Oh Cherrie, so sorry to learn of your dilemma.  I'm sure it will be nothing and you will soon return to NOLA to have your BR surgery.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Think positive. 

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited August 2012

Cherrie~

I'm also deeply sorry about this happening to you.  I will pray that it is nothing.  At my initial BC diagnosis last year, an MRI was scheduled, then cancelled, but never knew why.  (My guess is insurance).  It always bothered me that an "early stage" BC patient was assumed to not have mets.

Nine months later (April) in preparation for an out-of-state implant "revision" surgery (which failed), the surgeon had me get a chest CT scan prior to traveling there for surgery.  There was a spot on my lung that turned out to be nothing, but report said it should be kept note of in light of BC diagnosis.  So my surgery went on.

I recently traveled for my flap surgery to Charleston, which was successful, and hope it stays that way.  I mailed that April CT scan and written report ahead of time to Dr. K.  I still had an angio MRI the day before flap surgery, but was glad that he had a prior scan to compare to in case the pre-op test showed it and then they might question it. 

First, I'm praying that your lung spot is also not concerning like mine. 

Second, I'm sorry you had to go through the financial stress, but hope you can still return soon for surgery.  The Hope House is very nice, and would save a sizeable sum of money since there is no charge to stay.

Peace & Blessings

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2012

Cherrie, so very sorry to hear about your news. I pray that you find out soon that it is nothing and you can resume your surgery plans.  So much added stress that you just did not need.  Thanks for letting us know.  We are all thinking of you.

• harmonysun
    harmonysun Member Posts: 62
    edited August 2012

cherrie....i really feel for you.....after all the anxiety and anticipation and now this detour....i am so sorry to hear that and can imagine the letdown.....and i know it is expensive to travel too....after you are done dealing with this, now you know your way around new orleans and covington a bit, so next time will be easier......catch your breath and regroup.....we are all here for you....so many of these things turn out to be nothing....right before i left for new orleans they had found a nodule in my stomach lining so underwent some stuff for that...stressed me out so bad..., and yup...nothing....so hang in there.....it will turn out ok....:))

• florafarm
    florafarm Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2012

Oh, Cherrie, you must be soo disappointed! Those darn CT images show everything, and sometimes it's just TMI. I'm praying for it to be absolutely nothing, and that you will have peace as you wait for the next step. I believe everything happens for a reason.

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited August 2012

Cherrie- I am so sorry to hear this news.  I pray that this will turn out to be nothing.  Know that our thought are with you.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited August 2012

Cherrie... My Ct scan showed something in my uterus... had to have a D&C and it was nothing.... but they have to investigate.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited August 2012

Cherrie, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this royal pain in the neck!  Best wishes that it is nothing at all and you will be back in NOLA soon.  I was amazed by your incredibly positive pre-op attitude, so I know that you can get through this bump in the road.  I feel for you on the unnecessary travel expenses!  Dangit!  

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited August 2012

Cherrie,  I had a scan that showed a nodule on my lung and it turned out to be absoutely nothing!! So hang in there and please keep us informed!  HUGS,  Katiejane

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2012

Cherrie! I am so, so sorry you are going through all of this right now! But it is good to get things checked out. My CTA showed a few cysts on both my kidneys and liver and one cyst on my liver that needed further imaging. I was so freaked out. My worries were toward cancer, but also in light of the multiple kidney cysts I was worried about polycystic kidney disease. Luckily the worrisome spot on my liver turned out to be a hemangioma and the rest were simple cysts. My oncologist said that so many people have all these benign kind of things going on that they never even know about, but cancer survivors who are getting scanned for follow ups (and in this case, for surgery!) get to find out all these things that are going on inside of us! I am sending a multitude of positive energy, prayers, thoughts and doing a "benign dance" for you (use your imagination that it looks coordinated). Hang in there - I am thinking this is just another bump in the road with this whole journey. A billion hugs to you. ((((()))))

• Cherrie
    edited August 2012

Thank you so much everyone. It is definitely hard being sent home. (financially and mentally). I was doing so well. I felt peaceful and positive. Many phone calls and arrangements had to be made. We had trip insurance but of course we fell into an exclusion. If we had been on vacation and then had a medical emergency it would have been paid for. Insurance sucks all the way around.

I am in Covington waiting for hubby to wake up. Poor guy. We fly out at 10, but can't get home until 5. Long layover in Atlanta.

Dr. Massey has been wonderful. She is personally calling my MO so she can order tests and I don't have to wait until Monday to get the ball rolling. She calls me whenever I ask or have more questions. Next time I will go to HOPE lodge to help defray costs of this trip.

Thanks for the supportive words. It helps. I will keep you informed when I know more info.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited August 2012

Cherrie

I was so impressed with how you were holding up leading into your surgery. You have amazing strength and I am saying many many prayers for you that this is just nothing and just a small bump in the road. I have a feeling you will be back in NOLA in no time :) Sending you super big hugs ((((()))))
    Safe travels today and just know that so many people are praying and thinking about you!!

Michelle

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited August 2012

Cherrie- I echo the comments so many others here. Your positive attitude and words were very uplifting for those us with upcoming surgery dates. Keep strong!

I got the packet today from the Center with all the information regarding Stage 1. Makes it very real, seeing everything on paper. How was the process on scheduling pre-ops with your local doctors? I called my local plastic surgeon's office and they seemed a bit confused. Know it will work out. We found a rental/vacation home for our stay in NOLA, for the few close family and friends coming to stay with us. Looks peaceful and quiet, which sounded good to me.

Finding myself getting a bit more anxious as the days pass and super sensitive. Guessing this is all normal but boy feel like my emotions are all over the place.

Looking forward to a last splash to summer in Wisconsin tomorrow. Doing a fun obstacle run with my sister and friend. Portion of the profits go towards breast cancer research. Looking forward to some laughs and fun!

Hugs to all of you healing and thanks to those supporting us starting the NOLA journey.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited August 2012

Cherrie, I have to echo what everyone else has said and add what a trooper you are!!!!! Your strength, positive outlook, endurance and move forward attitude are so inspirational for many past, present, and future gals.  I wish I owned a magic wand and could make everything absolutely perfect for you from here on out! I don't have a magic wand though so I'll just pray for you.  Keep on keeping on!!!!

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2012

I just had my hip flaps in NOLA on 8/14. Still here recovering things ate going great. A little sore but in comparison to two infected and failed silicone implants in the radiated side not so bad and looks so much better!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited August 2012

You are less than a week out... you will feel great soon!!!

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited August 2012

Just checking in with yawl after reading several pages of posts, wow lots has been going on.  I'm happy to see so many of you doing well.  

Cherrie so sorry to hear of your disappointment in NOLA.  Truly hoping all works out for you.

On other matters, I don't understand why some ladies have such difficulties at the airport and others don't.  For myself, I was all prepared for issues.  I had my paperwork from the center in hand, I even brought a paper copy of the x-ray's from my femur break and rod placement back in March, in case that was a problem.  I wasn't going to let anyone touch me and was prepared to fight for my rights!  Well, not a single person questioned me and they weren't interested in the letter from the center in the least. I was whisked through security in about 2 minutes.  The only thing I can attribute it to is that instead of having my caregiver push my wheel chair, I had a uniformed gentleman, not sure if he works for the airline or the airport, but he was very nice and very efficient at getting me where I needed to go and my caregiver just followed along with our carry-ons.  

I'm doing really well, it's 8.5 weeks for me.  My rash has cleared and the abdominal seroma is slowly absorbing, no leakage, no wound issues, thank goodness.  I can wear almost any clothing I want.  Except tight, hip-hugger jeans, I'm probably too old for them anyway!  I've lost about 12 pounds since the surgery, I attribute that to decreased appetite and going gluten free because of a wheat sensitivity I've developed.  I miss pasta, but feel so much better, it's worth it to go without.  I hope to lose about 10 more; about 20 pounds was weight I specifically gained for this surgery.  The dr.'s don't recommend it, but hey, it worked for me because otherwise I didn't have enough ab tissue for a DIEP, and I did it slowly over 3 years.  You can eat healthy and also gain weight!

Three years ago this week, August 2009, I had my final chemo infusion after having had a recurrence within a year of my original IDC triple negative dx.  It was a summer from hell and to be honest I was scared I wasn't going to make it. But I've been cancer free for 3 years and counting!

Today is my 56th birthday! Wooooo-hoooooo.  When I first turned 50 I dreaded it and each upcoming birthday was just a downer of being another year older. My how that attitude changes when you get a cancer diagnosis and go through all that entails. Despite the hardships, I'm still here and thankful to be another year older!

I'm going to celebrate tonight with a very dear friend, also a cancer survivor, her husband not so lucky, I'll miss him tonight.  I feel so fortunate to be alive.  With my recent reconstruction success I feel like I'm having a rebirth of sorts, it's a strange giddy feeling. Almost like turning 21 and having your whole life ahead of you.  I have that sense of a turning point in my life and plan to make the best of it!  Happy birthday to me!  I hope you all, and those you love, have many, many happy birthdays in the years to come!!!

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2012

Happy birthday Glostagirl~glad you are doing well and thank you for your positivity, it is infectious!

Enjoy your day, and many more.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited August 2012

Happy birthday, glostagirl! 8.5 weeks is a great place to be! A new perspective on life is a wonderful gift for us all.

• Ralsper
    Ralsper Member Posts: 131
    edited August 2012

Glostagirl - Happy Birthday! Could you tell me more about your seroma? How, when, where, treatment, etc. Are you still swollen? (breast, abs, etc). Thank you!!!